Start by marking “The Classroom” as Want to Read:
The Classroom

The Classroom

Letting go of your daughter for the first time isn’t easy

After years of IVF, Kirsten White is a devoted mum to Harriet and she can’t believe the time has come to send her little girl off to school. But Harriet has now turned five, and she can’t stay Kirsten’s baby forever. It might be hard, but it’s time to entrust her daughter’s care to her new teacher.

the classroom is th
Published September 16th 2018 by HQ Digital

To ask other readers questions about The Classroom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Classroom

Start your review of The Classroom
Pauline
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The Classroom by A L Bird is a psychological thriller with many twists and turns.
When Kirsten's five year old daughter Harriet starts school, Kristen like all parents is worried about her safety. She is pleased that Harriet is happy with her new teacher Miriam.
Miriam however has a plan that no one knows about.
I found all the adult characters unlikeable. I was also irritated by the duel storylines.
I would like to thank NetGalley and HQ for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Mandy White
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
The Classroom... a place that a child should be safe right? Not when the teacher has a hidden agenda! This was the first book by A.L Bird that I have read and it was a great story. A story of lies, desperation and love. The only character that I really did like was the child... the adults were all despicable people out for themselves.

Harriet is now 5 years old and ready to start school. Her parents are both full time career minded people- Kirsten is a GP and Ian a high school teacher. Harriet's
Mark
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing

A complex and very interesting read!
Firstly I really enjoyed it
Secondly there are plot flaws and areas of the story that were not quite believable BUT because the book was so well written and fascinating I glossed them over in my mind ( like you do a good tv series or film )
Harriet is starting school, her teacher is also starting her new job at the school....Ms Robertson takes a shine to Harriet....then ‘just happens’ to walk past her house one Saturday afternoon....Harriets Mum Kirsten invites
Darinda
Kirsten loves her daughter, Harriet, and is nervous about sending her to school for the first time. Miriam is Harriet's Kindergarten teacher, and she's been waiting for the perfect child to walk into her classroom. With Kirsten's busy work schedule, Harriet spends more and more time at school. During that time, Harriet grows closer and closer to Miriam.

Told with alternating points of view and alternate timelines. At first, the flashback timeline is confusing, but as the story progresses, the fl
Lou
Sep 14, 2018 rated it liked it
When I came across this book, I thought it sounded like a great read with many different facets to it. Unfortunately, it was much harder work than I envisaged, and I had major issues trying to become interested and then invested in the storyline. Don't get me wrong, the premise is sound and was a somewhat plausible situation, but there was something very much lacking in the thrills department. Eventually, it becomes more and more unbelievable with little in the way of redeeming features. Suspens ...more
Shalini
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A story of 2 women and 1 man which was interlinked between them. A triangle is never a good thing in a relationship, and neither was this...

One was mother Kirsten who said she loved her daughter but never found time for her. One was a teacher Miriam who had a special eye on the child, more than what was required. And last was husband Andy as slimy as an eel, who loved only himself. This was a story about them.

The debut by A. L. Bird had me wondering initially where the story was leading up to.
Rachel
*thank you to Netgalley, A. L. Bird and HQ Digital for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

3 stars.

Umm. While this story had a strong start, I felt that it eventually leveled out and at times lost my interest. But it was good enough that it kept me reading right to the end so I guess that says something. One thing I didn't like was that when a twist was revealed, it was written in a way to make it seem like it was no big deal and that we readers should have known it already. I d
Natalie ♡
dnf at 40%
boring... don't feel like reading more:/
Clare
Listened to in audio format.

The Classroom was a stunning read. The story was told from the POV of Dr Kirsten White, teacher Miriam Robertson and Becky a young drama student.

Initially I thought Miriam was obsessive, desperate for a child of her own. However as the book progressed I realised there was so much more to the story. Once I realised it only added more tension to the story.

Although Miriam was worried about Harriet, she did have a point. Kirsten had recently set up her own private clinic.
Trish at Between My Lines
A page turner of a read, that had me swiping fast on my kindle to see how it was all going to end. I love the title and the tag line and just how that all fitted together.

It reveals it’s secrets tantalising slowly thorough alternate points of view and mysterious flashbacks. And the quick changes kept the pace snappy, and truth uncertain.

My only complaint was that it went beyond the point of believability. But I granted poetic licence, and didn’t leave that spoil the tension packed read.

If you e
Steph Millar
Sep 24, 2018 rated it liked it
The book started off very good, going through the different viewpoints of each character; Kirsten and Miriam.
After many failed attempts at IVF, Kirsten dotes on her daughter who has just started school whilst Miriam has been waiting for the perfect girl to come into her classroom.

The book contains a few chapters back in the past which was quite confusing but it all made sense within the third part of the book.

It’s an intense, Fast paced book with lots of twists and turns throughout.
I did rate
Joan
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Dr Kirsten White and her husband Ian have a beautiful young daughter called Harriet. Oh how they struggled before Harriet came along, disappointment after disappointment. She is so beautiful and precious that Kirsten is loath to let her go to school. She loves their days together and will miss Harriet so much. But she must take her 5-year-old daughter to school and trust that she will be taken care of and kept safe. Her husband, the Head teacher of a different school, talks her round gently and ...more
Katlyn Duncan
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, netgalley
Twisty and thrilling. You’ll hold your kids a little closer after reading this book.

This story weaved two different timelines together for one explosive ending. While the characters were flawed, they leaped off the page. Can’t wait for more thrills and chills from future novels from A. L. Bird.
Amanda
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I must admit that prior to being invited on the blog tour for ‘The Classroom’ I hadn’t come across A. L Bird before. ‘The Classroom’ was my introduction to her work and what an introduction it was too. I really enjoyed it but more about that in a bit.
I have to say that the main two female leads irritated me in equal measure but in different ways if that makes sense. I don’t doubt that Kirsten, who is Harriet’s mother, really, really wanted a child. Anybody who goes through the IVF process hopes
Sherilynvan
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Classroom by A.L. Bird was chilling. It was a great story and the twists and turns kept me very intrigued. I was surprised by the ending, and it left me pondering for a few hours after I finished it. Not being a parent myself, I found the characters' actions interesting.
I look forward to more from this author.
Thanks to NetGalley and HQ Digital for the ARC.
Zoé-lee O'farrell
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-re-read
Probably not the best time for me to read this book with my little one just starting school…….but you learn.

Now I will warn you this review will be vague, there is something in this storyline that just that the smallest detail slipped will give the plot away, and sadly I have read a couple of reviews that have done so.

Anyway, the story follows a couple of storylines that leave your head spinning with a LOT of questions!

We start with Kirsten life in September 2018 (Ah present day hello!) with h
Connie
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dr. Kirsten White’s daughter, Harriet, age 5, is ready to start school at St. Anthony’s. Kirsten is nervous about leaving her but her husband, Ian, himself a headmaster, assures her that Harriet will be fine. Kirsten had a difficult time getting pregnant with Harriet which is one reason she is so protective of her.

Harriet’s teacher is Ms. Miriam Robertson. She is so happy to have this job and just wishes she had her own child. Harriet is the one child who has caught her eye and she knows this ch
Megan Jones
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
After years of IVF, Kirsten White is a devoted mum to Harriet – and she can’t believe the time has come to send her little girl off to school. But Harriet has now turned five, and she can’t stay Kirsten’s baby forever. It might be hard, but it’s time to entrust her daughter’s care to her new teacher. Miriam Robertson has been waiting for the perfect little girl to walk into her class. When Harriet walks in, Miriam knows: this is the child she’s been waiting for. Harriet knows not to speak to str ...more
Julia
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Classroom by A.L. Bird - oh my goodness, what a gripping psychological thriller. I could not put it down and read it in just one sitting. The action twisted this way and that - I knew who the manipulator was - or did I? I suspected just about everyone before the jaw dropping reveal.
Truth, lies, manipulation, real, imagined - all themes within the novel showing the deviousness of people. The main thing seems to be to get your own way, no matter who gets hurt along the way.
Children are a gift.
Kerri  Elizabeth
Feb 17, 2020 rated it liked it
‘Letting go of your daughter for the first time isn’t easy , after years of IVF Kirsten can’t believe her little girl is about to start school. Miriam has been waiting for the perfect little girl to walk into her class. When Harriet walks in, Miriam knows this is the child she has been waiting for.’

This book was ok, can’t honestly say it gripped me but it wasn’t a bad read either. The story is told though alternative characters and timelines and about 30% through the timelines meet and the plot
Dawn Marsanne
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
The Classroom’ is a psychological thriller about a mother who sends her child off to school expecting it to be nothing but a safe place, and finds that actually the classroom is a little more sinister of a place than she had expected. Old secrets come to the surface and we soon learn that other people have ulterior motives.

I found the book very slow to get started, but by the time I was halfway through I was desperate to learn the answers to my countless questions, so was determined to finish r
Sandi Wallace
This one wasn't for me but taste is subjective and other readers certainly may enjoy. Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for the opportunity to read an advance review copy.
Katherine Sunderland
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Oh yes - A L Bird is back with a brand new book and I was delighted to get my hands on it!
Just as I knew it would be, The Classroom was full of thrills, chills, and surprises. It kept me reading late into the night and it's really a hugely enjoyable psychological thriller!

It felt totally appropriate to spend my September reading a novel which centres around going back to school and a teacher....or maybe not - maybe this isn't the best book to read if your child has just stared in reception! The
Debra
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Harriet was a much longed for child born after years of IVF treatment. Now she is five and Harriet is heading off for primary school whilst her harassed Mum heads off to her GP practice and her slightly distant Father goes to the secondary school he heads. We meet her teacher, Miriam, who seems devoted to her class – perhaps too devoted? Running in parallel we have the story of Becky. An immature 16 year old who heads off to a summer drama course where she makes some wrong decisions encouraged b ...more
Jessica Jade
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
I loved this book, but I've got to admit, I'm still a little bit confused.
I loved how different it was, I've not really read anything like it before, the whole situation with the daughter and the things that happened in the past really gripped me. I couldn't tell where the story was heading at any point in the book and I was taken aback by so many things. I was on the edge of my seat most of the time just trying to cope with everything that was going on. I would have 100% given this a 5 star ra
miss j a robinson
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Many Thanks to A.L.Bird, HQ Digital and NetGalley for an ARC of The Classroom, This is my honest review of the book.
I was drawn to this book. I enjoy psychological thrillers, and I was not disappointed with The Classroom. The book is full of twists and turns that I was not expecting. If you think you have this book figured out from the cover description, then you have a huge shock waiting, definitely a brilliant twist that I did not foresee.
Dr Kirsten White is worried about her daughter, Harri
Bucks, Books & Beyond
I thought the ‘big reveal’ came quite early on in this book, and to begin with I felt slightly disappointed that as a reader I hadn’t been kept guessing for longer. However, upon completing the book I entirely understand why the author chose to pace the book in this way as it sets the scene for the second half of the book. The book for me is very much split into two halves and you will totally understand the reasoning why things are revealed when they are by the time you get to the end.

Although
Vickie
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first book that I have read by A.L. Bird and I was not disappointed. The plot was complicated and twisted, moving between the past and the backstory of Miriam and the present when Kirsten’s beloved daughter Harriet starts school for the first time. Kirsten is a working mom who is trying to get her new GP started and successful. Her husband Ian is totally useless as a father and a husband since he is so focused on his own career success as the new head of a school that he doesn’t noti ...more

• Before I Find You: Are you being followed?
  • The Dream Wife