Start by marking “Here or There (The Oracle, #1)” as Want to Read:
Here or There (The Oracle, #1)

Here or There (The Oracle, #1)

Curses, past lives, dreams—Pilatowicz weaves fantasy and reality very convincingly. Her insight into the human psyche is brilliant. We wonder: is our life guided by free will or is it dictated by external forces beyond our control? An inspiring tale that will not disappoint. —Simone Z. Endrich, author and former political analyst A captivating, well written story about ent ...more
Published June 18th 2018 by All Things That Matter Press

To ask other readers questions about Here or There, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here or There

Start your review of Here or There (The Oracle, #1)
Simone Z. Endrich
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Here or There is an apt title for this fantasy/paranormal novel. Our heroine Jasmin is a dreamer drifting aimlessly from one country to another looking for jobs that go nowhere, in tandem with a daily foray into a dreamworld not entirely of her making. The physical baggage that she lugs along the journey, is to my mind symbolic of the internal baggage that constantly weighs her down. The reader may not consider this symbolism at first, because the deep psychological implications are subtle and o ...more
Gabriel Blake
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is such a beautiful story. We follow Jasmin on her amazing journey as she comes into contact with all sorts of realistic characters that are brought to life as she searches out her own path wondering if it is already chosen for her. It's a big question, and one I've often asked myself: if we are truly in control of our decisions and destiny or whether they are inserted inside us from times before.
We wonder how much is real about her dreamlike visions and slowly realise how symbolic they ar
Rivalie
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it

I definitely didn't do this book enough justice while reading and it's really after I have finished and mulled over everything that it really hit me. I haven't read a paranormal novel in a while so I feel a bit out of touch with the genre but there were some really fantastic things that were happening. First off, this is the author's first novel in English which itself is a feat. The writing style has a certain unique lilt to it that helps with the overall atmosphere of the story.

We fo
S.K. Gregory
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jasmin has to face her past, as she learns mostly through her dreams that she was cursed long ago. In her current life, she has no job or boyfriend and nothing seems to go right for her. I like the idea that the past can affect the present and this was an interesting read. I would recommend it.
Izabela Faron
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had a pleasure to read this author’s previous books in Polish language. The Oracle ~ Here or there is a bit different yet I found a familiar connotation with all fantasy and paranormal world in dreams.
Although presented reality of trying to live in another country is more serious topic, Pilatowicz shows what it really takes to make a change in life and to be an artist in another country. At the same time she acknowledges unknown in human life, an aspect that so many of us try to ignore. She gi
Svetlana
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was always curious how other people perceived and interpreted dreams. Are dreams connected to reality, influenced by reality, intertwined with reality or maybe vice versa? What turns dreams into nightmares and nightmares into life? Why some dreams are impossible to remember and others become recurrent, vivid and impossible to shake off, impossible to forget? Ever? It’s hard to say, of course, for everyone has their own high-definition one of a kind cinema in their heads. That’s what makes Joan ...more
Paul Galli
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Here or There" is the title of the book , but it also describes the main character Jasmine her choices for which direction her life should take , as in follow her dreams and inspirations ' There ' or not....and stay ' Here' . The choices are not always as straight forward as one might think .... like how past incarnations may influence our subconcious thoughts adversely in our current life decisions - if we let them - .
The Characters in the book are life-like and their events and situations are
Magdalena Mrozek
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The pendulous action, takes place in two worlds - real, material and spiritual, what makes it difficult to break away from reading! In a dynamic way, the story is presened with a great momentum. The book exudes passion and eroticism, showing the area in a natural way.

From the experiences of the main character – Jasmin, one can learn about challenges of emigration.

I believe that women and singles will find that book helpful, finding tips for some of the life situations, one can encounter.
Mary Clark
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dreams lead the way in this story of a woman trapped by a curse into a meaningless life. That could be a metaphor for human beings in general, of the tension between Self and alienation, but the other part of the story is iconic as well: the desire to break free and be in control of your destiny. It's an interesting premise, told with a philosophical tone in modern language, and mixed with drama. A good start to a series.
Elzbieta
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a novel about the soul hiding in the body, influencing the reality and feeling it. Jasmin experience life, appreciating good moments of it and confronts the rest she must in order to go on. The descriptions are rich, so the scenery where the action is happening. I could imagine a movie like that where the main character appears a bit invisible yet as a soul desires to exist in society. I think it is a beautiful story for everyone on the journey of his/her personal growth.
Lukasz Ochmanski
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Traveling, living and working in other countries was always my thing and I like to read about others experiences. “The Oracle – Here or there” offered me a taste of something I wouldn’t like to go through, but I admire not giving up attitude of the main character Jasmin. I wonder how an artist can make it abroad and I hope to find out in the second book. The author concept about dreaming is for me intriguing. I never thought about dreams that much.
Dominika Miernik
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The challenges, of the main character Jasmin, really speak to me. As a long-term expat, I can easily identify with many obstacles she is facing while living abroad or coming back to the home country. The combination of Jasmin's real world and her dreams world is intriguing, and I was asking myself when the characters from those two worlds are going to meet. I kept turning the pages. I am looking forward to reading the next series!
Doc Chuck
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jo puts the "anna" in Joanna in this amazing page turner. She shows the subtle differences between the fiction that’s passable and fiction that pops in "Here or There". The body language in this book makes you want to read Book #2 before you have even reached the middle of the book, where fantasy meets reality. A must read for all fans of paranormal or fantasy tales
Beata
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very relaxing summer – read fantasy for busy women (and men;)). What a pleasure to follow the adventures of an imperfect and therefore sympathetic heroine Jasmin in my beloved Country - Triangle of Poland, Germany and Holland. Enjoy!
Juergen Weller
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Here or There" It describes the main character Jasmine, her decisions, in which direction her life should go, as in her dreams and inspirations follow or stay here. It's the first book I read of Joanna Pilatowicz. It's very exciting and I could not stop reading until the end.
Ewa Bolesta-Mroczek
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jasmine, main character of "Here or There", is looking for better life. Her dreams begin to slip to her reality and there is no way to ignore them. Reality and fantasy mix together and she cannot control that. The author insights into human psyche in very witty way.
Artur Tołłoczko
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this novel. Great and suprising beginning. Story about life, love and searching for the sense. Usually this kind of books are quite boring to me but not this time. Keeps you alert till the end, waiting for the happy or unhappy ending.
E.J. Bancesco
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If these days you feel - like I do - that the world is taking a turn from what we hold close in ways such as a healthy pace of life, time to reflect, the joys of art, style, nature, history, travel and especially through the depth of the human mind, read The Oracle - Here and there.
Rarely have I enjoyed contemplating such a nuanced canvas mapping the travels of a genuine dreamer through different countries but as well, through an extraordinary world of other dimensions accessible through altere
Isabelle
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have just finished reading The Oracle II. I would highly recommend it as I am kind of hooked to supernatural and whatlove to discover veils that lay deeper than just a reality. The Oracle describes the world of a young woman Jasmine, the " oracle". The girl /woman travels to the NetherlANDS and discovers the perks of an emigration and intertwines it with her vivid imagination ( or not) as she is having dreams about her past life as priestess. A must have for the ones that feel there is more ou ...more
Magda
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think that this story is really amazing. It kept me awake in the night and I couldn't put it down.
I fell in love with the characters and the plot. I am really picky about narrators and this one was great.
In general, motif of dreams in books is something that interests me, and that's why this particular story stays close to my heart.
I strongly recommend it.
Ellen Buikema
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating combination of worlds, dreaming and waking.

"She wanted to rest but her dreams had other plans." Imagine your past self reaching out to the present. Great story line. Fascinating characters. Diverse European settings.

Some of the English translation is a little distracting.
Stacie Williams
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book. I just love the characters. Could not put it down until the end. I look forward to the next book. I recommend to all adult book lovers.
Malgorzata Hayles
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful novel very original and rich in its ideas. A captivating story of one woman's journey in both real and spiritual world. A rewarding read - its characters stayed with me for a long while.
Jola Nasiłowska
Jun 30, 2018
Lukasz Ochmanski
Jul 06, 2018
Dear Readers,
If you somehow magically gravitated to my profile, let me share with you a personal note, instead of just a formal biography. This you can read on my Amazon page: https://www.amazon.com/Joanna-M-Pilat... or my website.

First of all, I believe this platform was created especially for You, a safe place to share experience and find great books. It’s not always that way, as I gathered man

News & Interviews