Start by marking “Saved” as Want to Read:
Saved

Saved

Leilani Moretti

Life is out to get me.
Humvee accident that took my right hand? Strike one.
Cancer three years later that stole my breasts and hair? Strike two.
An overbearing mother who seems to think I’m twelve, not twenty-seven?
Yeah, I’m out of there.

I thought moving to Oklahoma would give me a fresh start. I hoped life would finally cut me some damn slack. But betw
Published June 20th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Saved, please sign up.
Mandy Grifka You want to read this book because it is a beautiful story of two people who find each other in spite of the difficulties life has handed them. Its a …moreYou want to read this book because it is a beautiful story of two people who find each other in spite of the difficulties life has handed them. Its a story of hope and never giving up, even when you desperately want to. It’s a magnificently written story that shows that even in the worst situations in life there is good to be found. It’s full of laughter and tears, suspense and romance. It is one of the best books I’ve read this year and I’ve read 107 so far. That my dear is why you should read it. (less)

Start your review of Saved
Hazel James
May 04, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
"Clay's staring at me like I'm the only one who can quench his thirst. I'd gladly be his water. The glass. Hell, I'd even be the ice cubes if he'd give me a few hours and a freezer."

Saved is a standalone contemporary romance.
Release date: June 21
Blogger sign up: http://bit.ly/SavedRELEASE
Bookgasms Book Blog
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shelly
Here’s the thing about this book: the storytelling is so effortless and easy to engage with that you just sail along feeling all the feels – mostly good, but not without a few suckerpunches along the way – and then suddenly turn the last page, feeling a little sniffily and with your heart kind of overflowing with happiness, but also a little bit like, “wait what? I wasn’t ready for that to end yet! I am not ready to say goodbye! And also, I will probably need more Clay in my life, for the rest o ...more
Nerdy Dirty & Flirty
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
-Kacie, ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

This is only my second book by Hazel James but so far what stands out about her work is that it’s real. It’s about real life, and about hard things that really don’t get talked about. Her stories are something very relatable and this one is no exception.

If you’ve read Chased (not really necessary to this story), then you’ve met Clay. He owns the gym, Battles, but not only is it a gym, it’s also therapy. I think it’s a unique concept. Clay is a great guy, he sees past the outsi
Erin Lewis
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 Star Review of Saved by Hazel James

Where do I start? This was such an intense read that I am having difficulty finding the words to write this review.

Saved is heartbreakingly poignant and soul shattering. My emotions are fractured after reading this story. Hazel James has delivered a brilliant, emotional story of hope and loss, of pain and courage.

This book is confronting on numerous levels but so well written that it had me totally engrossed from the start. I freely admit that I was in tear
Jonell Espinoza
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There’s always that “one” book that hits you right in the feels. For me, it happened twice. By this amazing author. When you can feel the words that you’re reading it’s the most incredible thing. Clay and Leilani’s story did that for me. Their story isn’t all fun, games and love. There’s also heartbreak, strength, courage and faith. I enjoyed their journey
Christine
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of this authors best!

There is something about the way this author writes her characters. You instantly find a connection with them. Hazel James excels at writing the conversations between characters. They are realistic and witty. It pulls you into their lives and in turn they find there way into your heart.
Sassy Southern
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Leilani has not had an easy life. In fact, all she seems to have is bad luck and strife. While others may say this, knowingly exaggerating, Leilani is only speaking the truth. Losing her hand in a Humvee accident? Okay, she can adapt. She's alive after all, and that's what matters. But a second hit, breast cancer at that, which resulted in losing her breasts and hair? Again, adjustments can be made because she's survived once more. Add both potentially tragic incidents and an overbearing mother ...more
Tracy  C
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars. Hazel James is quickly becoming a favorite. I LOVED Clay and Leilani. They were both so open and honest. My only issue was how fast Clay went down. What happened to him was awful but for such a wonderfully positive person, he sank back into bad habits in what felt like seconds. I just think he would have struggled more before taking a drink. Otherwise this was a fantastic book.
2OCC Reviews
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gemma
Saved is an emotionally gripping story that was incredible written. This is one story that you could tell how much emotion that the author put into the story. There was so much emotion in the story that really stayed with me well after I finished reading it. A lot of the time I was not sure what was going to happen throughout the story and was completely surprised at some of the things that happened in the book.

The heroine of the story Leilani had experienced a lot of hardship in the last few y
Tara
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my second book by Hazel James, and boy does she deliver!

We met Clay in Chased. He owns Battles, the gym where he works his butt off to make his clients stronger, not only physically, but mentally as well. Clay has had a rough go at life. It's only about to get rougher when the unstoppable, smart-mouthed Leilani signs up for the program his best friend runs. Leilani has had her own struggles in life. An accident while serving her country cost her part of her arm. Cancer cost her her brea
Aimee Crant-oksa
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Saved by Hazel James was my 2nd book by this author. I loved Chased and was very excited to revisit the characters in Saved. We are introduced to the kind hearted Clay in Chased, but really get to know him in Saved. Clay turned his life around, and now helps others through his gym Battles. At Battles, he helps his clients regain their life both physically and mentally.
Leilani is a former military woman, and a cancer survivor. She applies to Battles for one of their work programs to start her lif
Megan | A Page to Turn

It says something about a book when you can read it cover to cover in one day. I started this one with my coffee this morning and finished it right before dinner. I am still at a loss of how to feel, I was blown away by all the emotion this book stirred up.

Leilani is one of those girls that life has done its damndest to break her down. She has been hit by curve ball after curve ball and has managed to get back up again. The strength she has is astounding.

Clay - who we met for a brief couple of
Brenna
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gah! Yet another book hit out of the park by the fabulous Hazel James. Saved included Hazel's signature humor, sass, and steam, as well as characters you can't help but love. Leilani is a badass heroine with spunk, grit, and a penchant for sweets...needless to say, she's a girl after my own heart. Clay is a swoon-worthy dude who at times, could've used a swift kick in the pants, but truly has a hero's heart.

"We can't choose our battles. Sometimes life chooses them for us. All we can do is turn
Marisol Scott
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Admittedly, this is my first book by Hazel James and it's safe to say it wont be my last.
Hazel delivers a genuine romance with some not so subtle undertones of self reflection, strength, and courage without the "in your face" call to action.
Her technical knowledge of the military can only be achieved through personal experience and made me appreciate the story that much more.
In Leilani we find a true h who experiences severe loss not once but twice while trying to rebuild her life. Although,
Lynn
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Saved is a book about 2 people learning to love together through tough situations. This book gives a emotional story, where in the mist of loss and pain- true love and happiness can be found.

Leilani gets an opportunity to have a new start and being an amputee and fighting cancer. Clay has overcome issues in his past and works to help people empower themselves everyday.

With Clay and Leilani's troubled pasts with medical and emotional issues but through the strength of these characters and the peo
Christy  (CaptainReadsALot
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Y'all need this book!

This book dealt with a lot of really tough issues in an excellent way that made everything feel absolutely relatable. These characters felt like my friends and I wanted to lift them up, support them, and be present for them.

This book also had a sad twist that made me want to cry. After everything that Clay had gone through and built from the floor up, only to be totally screwed like he was ... sigh.

And for Leilani to come back the way she did. She has been one of my favor
Jackie Wright
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book a few days ago but I’m struggling to put words on paper that will do the story and the author justice, when a book leaves you feeling not just reading the words you know that this is going to be an incredible read. Leilani and Clay’s story isn’t all sweetness and light they have to find their inner strength to get through heartbreak and loss. This book is not just a beautifully written love story Hazel James takes us on the journey that her characters have to take to realise ...more
Hillary DeVisser
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Saved was such a touching love story. It's the kind that haunts a reader days after it's finished and makes a person feel that they want to be loved like that. I'm a sucker for flawed characters, especially those with emotional baggage. A story is so much more gritty, real, and captivating when the reader gets to discover the ugly side that could be easily glossed over. This story affords a real-feel glimpse into the lives of our heroes, a perspective that needs to be on the minds of us all. Ano ...more
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm pretty sure you've never read a story like that. Not that I know your bookshelve but this story is so unique, that I would bet you never met a character like Leilani. You might say "Sure, everyone is telling this to sell a book", but trust me, it's worth the buy. And I don't sell the book - I just love it. And the story. And Clay - because c'mon, you know you're into good lovestories.

But it still think it's over way to fast...
Kathryn Andrews
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Saved by Hazel James is a brilliant story about adversities in life, starting over, and never giving up. I loved the plot, the characters, and the love. From page one, I couldn’t get enough, swiped through to the end, and finished feeling so content and happy. Kindness goes such a long way, what we can do for others, and I think the world would be such a better place if more people were to #belikeclay.
Lindsey Domokur of Crazy Reader Chicks
Oh Hazel. This book was beautiful. I didn’t realize it was integrated with Chased. I was super excited to see Clay and hear his story. I loved this. Clay and Leilani rebuilding their lives and fitting together seamlessly. The insight into the struggles after military service is eye opening. Thank you for putting this out there for us.
Loralie
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I feel like I've been through the wringer with this book. I'm exhausted...but in a good way. The book talks about picking your battles, and the duo in this book has a lot of them. To be honest, I wouldn't have the grace that they shared, but they weren't always perfect. They were perfect for each other, however, and great role models for others. They were each other's "saving" grace. ...more
Stacey (Sassy Book Lovers)
Wow.....just wow!

Hazel James is such a brilliant storyteller, I hung onto her every word and I felt every emotion, it just seeped through the pages and into my soul. Unforgettable!

An emotionally beautiful story with amazing characters, it's definitely one you'll want to read over and over again.

Another book to add to my faves for 2018.
Texas_BookWorm(Priscilla)
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
First time I read something from this author, and I gotta say it was a pretty darn good book. The writing was strong, the main characters were fabulous and unique. The storyline was great a bit over the place with many different little things going on, but not anything too distracting.
Ali
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hope your current book boyfriends are ready to be replaced by Clay! Oh. My. Yes!
Kasey Sullivan
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Fear makes a terrible compass."

I enjoyed this book. The story is great but it's the writing that stuck with me. I have so many favorite quotes from this book.

“It’s easier to see the bright side when you let go of the dark.”

"Because of it."

"It doesn’t take a lot of time or money to give someone hope.”

“My mom always said when you see something beautiful, you should take a moment to admire it."

See! So many! The author is one wise woman.

Clay is so smooth! I want to lick him like buttercream frost
Nikki
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
She’s not the first woman I’ve kissed, but she’s the first one I want to be my last...

Leilani and Clay’s is one of struggles, determination, and finding one’s self worth. Clay is a vet who has overcome PTSD and alcoholism to find himself being able to help others. Clay has a unique program that helps struggling vets to find their way in life again. Leilani is a vet who has lost an arm due to an injury while in the service and then lost her breasts from cancer. To say that she is a survivor is pu
Stormie
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This was amazing. And FINALLY, a love story about a healthy relationship where the heroine is smart, brave, and just awesome. Seriously, I loved Leilani. She's the kind of heroine I love to read about. Her capacity for bravery, forgiveness, and true love was awesome. And Clay was such a refreshing surprise. A guy who is more sentimental and emotionally expressive about the girl was such a nice change. He had a great attitude, was a people person, and just overall a great person who saw the ...more
Toni
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My most anticipated book of 2018

I’ve been a Hazel James fan since she released her first book, I’ll Be The One and that continued when she wrote Chased. I’m not one of this reviewers that will give you a synopsis of the book— no spoilers here— but I will tell you that this is a must read. First of all, she knows how to write military romance. I get a little prickly about them because I’m a military wife and most authors don’t know this like and certainly can’t portray it. Hazel always manages to
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After finally feeling ready to have read Chased I didn't want to wait any longer to read Saved. Almost everyone's story in Chased felt complete so I was curious to learn who this book would be about. After having read Chased with my heart in my throat the whole time I thought I felt more equipped to deal with this one but I think it was more a case of this one just felt different.

DH was in Chased was a live wire and needed the events of the book to calm him. It was clear early on in Saved, Clay
« previous 1 3 next »
Romance Retreat: Not your average military romance 1 21 Oct 19, 2018 05:52AM

• Warrior Blue
  • Oops, I've Fallen
  • Troublemaker
  • The Bribe (Calamity Montana #1)
  • Drowning in Stars
  • A Pizza My Heart (Slice, #1)
  • Reclaim
  • Trillion
  • The Bluff (Calamity Montana, #2)
  • Call Me Crazy (Bellamy Creek, #3)
  • The Intimacy Experiment (The Roommate, #2)
  • The Sweetest Fix
  • The Finish Line (The Ravenhood, #3)
  • Reckless Memories (Wrecked, #1)
  • Fallen
  • Marrying Mr. Wrong (Dirty Martini Running Club, #3)
  • Our Song
  • By a Thread
I'm a proud Army veteran, and my greatest loves include my family, lip gloss, Diet Coke, and the beach. Hang out with me at facebook.com/realhazeljames. ...more