Start by marking “Fushigi Yûgi, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Fushigi Yûgi, Vol. 1

Fushigi Yûgi, Vol. 1 (Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play #1-3)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  771 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Fifteen-year-old Miaka Yuki is transported into an ancient Chinese kingdom by an old book, The Universe of the Four Gods. Following the legend in the story, Miaka becomes the Priestess of Suzaku and must find her seven Celestial Warrios before she can save the kingdom and return home.

Read the shojo manga that started it all!
Fushigi Yûgi, the best-selling series from belove
Paperback, VizBig Edition, 600 pages
Published January 6th 2009 by VIZ Media LLC

Kate
Oct 05, 2014 rated it liked it
I was first introduced to Fushigi Yugi over 10 years ago. My husband had to be at meetings every Tuesday night until quite late, and so I was left to myself. One night, I was flipping through channels and came across the International channel and started watching midway through some show. It turned out to be Fushigi Yugi, and while it was ultra dramatic at times, I found myself completely absorbed into the story and looked forward to it each Tuesday evening. I hadn't discovered manga yet, so I d ...more
Lindsay
Feb 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I first got into Fushigi Yugi through the anime about 10 years ago. I was instantly hooked. But in terms of the manga, I was always waiting for a complete set of volumes (like this) instead of the individual books. I am so thrilled they have finally compiled them into "big books" and now 10 years later, I think I love the series even more. I've read a lot of manga and seen even more anime, but this by far has always been my favorite series.
Elizabeth Hopkinson
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: influences
I cannot tell you how much I fell in love with this manga series (and with the beautiful and tragic Hotohori). It has definitely influenced my stories and will continue to influence me for the rest of my life.
David
Mar 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I've always love this anime. The manga does not disappoint in the least.

Now I've got to go buy the remaining volumes.
Jordan
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I watched the anime years ago and loved it, but the manga is just so much more. I can't wait to continue reliving this story again.
Paul Mirek
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, historical
I continue to find myself entranced with series that are well outside my wheelhouse—this time, a historical fantasy epic about the dangerous emotional landscape of post-adolescence. Watase turns a typical RPG catalyst (naive protagonist is forced to seek out a party of skilled warriors) into a lush, action-packed soap opera. The characterization is one of the artist's (and the series') greatest strengths. Miaka acts just like a typical high schooler, which makes the drama that much more poignant ...more
Anna
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga
... this series used to be quite dear to me. Lemme tell you - would bingewatch the FANSUBS on VHS! And not just any tapes, oh no.. these were from the special distributor famous for their purple tapes! (yeah, the good shit.. 90s otaku know what I'm talkin about)

...and... uh.. as a grown-up now... boy of boy did this series not age well.
Plot wise - hello 90s reverse~harem tropes galore. The pro-tag has the attention span of an ADD-riddled goldfish, and is a glutton to boot. Of course she is. The
Janelle
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, romance, manga
This is shojo, through and through. So of course it will have a heroine who is lovable to everyone around her. Of course it will have a sudden and intense romance between its two teenage heroes. (Although reading Watase's note in a side column, about how she wanted Miaka to be a "one love" kind of girl, made me look with a fresh perspective at how she handles romance in this series, rather than blow it off.)

Fushigi Yuugi was my thing as a middle/high school student. I LOVED this series. Sure, as
Soobie's heartbroken
Well... That was weird!

I mean, I've read the Italian translation of this manga. It was published in 36 volumes back when I was in uni and I remember that I absolutely loved it. I loved the art, I loved the story, I had a sweet spot for Tamahome...

Reading Fushigi Yûgi after so many years was a different experience. I still love Yuu Watase's art and I'll probably develop a soft spot for Tamahome as well. The story, however, didn't seem so appealing as it used to be. I didn't remember the insta-lo
Zoey
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Anna
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
After hearing all the "omigawd, the best manga/anime EVER!!!", I read this series years ago; didn't live up to the hype. Nice artwork, interesting idea, but went a little overboard with the goofy comic-relief (got annoying and distracted from the story) and I didn't feel any chemistry between the main characters who seem to fall passionately in love for no apparent reason (except that they initially hate each other, which we ALL KNOW means you are in LOVE). The collecting of the celestial warrio ...more
Sydnee
Jan 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Usually I don't write reviews on manga but I thought I'd give it a shot this time. It was interesting to say the least. As with all manga Love developed with in like the first 60 pages. And I was kind of bothered by Yui's complete character flip towards Miaka.
I mean she was reading the book with Miaka in it so obviously she should have been able to see that time was flowing differently. And also I know she went through and hard time and but even if Miaka was there it wouldn't have stopped thos
Danielle
Feb 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have a soft spot for stories where a person travels either back in time or into a fictional world, so this was right up my alley.
It's pretty cliche, but a whole lot of fun anyway. Maybe not quite as good as some of my favourites, but if you are just looking for a little mushy romance and a bit of an adventure then this fits the bill. Although the main character could use a backbone now and again, I really did like her anyway with her quirky personality and funny moments.
Amy
Oct 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, 2014
This was one of my favorite anime series when I was a teen. I found this at the library and checked it out to see if it lived up to my memories. It kinda did.

I had a bit of a hard time tracking who was saying what. Sometimes a person is speaking that isn't in the frame, and there isn't any direction for where the words are coming from. And I think I would have gotten a lot more confused if I didn't already know the story and what was happening.
Sace
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, dead-tree
First I should probably say that I love fluffy escapist reading. If there is a love story it's even better and the Japanese seem to excel at romance (even if it is doomed.) It's a good story and I love the art. While for the most part it is serious, there are plenty of funny moments. There are 18 volumes so I hope it stays good.

Francesca Morales
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As much as I love this mangaka and her original ideas for plots, I couldn't help thinking "What if Inuyasha had been taken a step forward?" So if you enjoy 'Inuyasha', romance, and life lessons, I'd definitely recomend that you hurry and pick this manga up!
Eulercauchy
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
It really is the work of a growing artist. I've seen the anime 10+ years ago and it blew my mind. The manga can be a little disjointed but the art is beautiful and I know the story gets much better.
CJ - It's only a Paper Moon
Apr 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, classic, shojo
Just keep in mind when I say a classic, I don't just mean the art and storyline, I mean the references such as VCR. Still. Very funny, cute Yu Waatase book. A little dark with some lighthearted parts.
Chloe Simpson
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
It is most likely my general lack of taste for manga, but I did not find Fushigi Yugi to be interesting enough to read any other volumes. If you are a manga fan then this particular rating will likely not be helpful. Manga just does not appeal to my personal taste, perhaps it is an acquired taste.
Lin Jocelyn
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
good, fun, nice ,awesume, love it.
Mary Skolnik
My brief obsession with girly manga probably started here. Middle school.
Snow
Mar 13, 2009 rated it liked it
reviewing for Good Comics for Kids
Robin
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great story! Love the characters and the back and forth between past and present day.
Emily
Feb 08, 2010 rated it liked it
I picked this up as a sort of walk through memory lane. I never did see the whole television show/anime, and this collection stopped shortly before where I'd left off with the show.
Jim
Nov 01, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up-on, manga
gave it a dozen pages before i gave up on it.
Danyka
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I watched and loved the Anime version of this since I was a kid. It also landed on my favorites.

For now, I got no plans for buying a copy.
Amanda May
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am so in love with these new vizbig editions of my favorite manga. They are so beautiful and have three volumes in one big edition.
Samie Feliciano
Jul 23, 2013 added it
Recommends it for: people who love graphic novels
Recommended to Samie by: no one
It was amazing there was so many things about the book that I love that I wish I could conclude in my own writing.
Usako
Oct 27, 2009 rated it liked it
Manga like this tends to suck me in until I have read every volume. Classic romance and one of the best manga.
Kara
Jul 31, 2014
  • Clover: Omnibus
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Vol. 3 (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, #3)
  • Hot Gimmick, Volume 1 (Hot Gimmick Omnibus Edition, #1)
  • Skip Beat! (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1: Includes vols. 1, 2  3
  • Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 1 #1-3
  • Psychic Academy Volume 2 (Psychic Academy, #2)
  • Wild Ones, Vol. 6 (Wild Ones, #6)
  • Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 5
  • Cromartie High School, Vol. 1
  • Gaba Kawa
  • Shirley, Vol. 01
  • Maison Ikkoku, Volume 1 (Maison Ikkoku, #1)
  • Night of the Beasts, Vol. 1
  • Butterflies, Flowers, Vol. 8 (Butterflies, Flowers, #8)
A Japanse shoujo manga-ka. She is known for her works Fushigi Yūgi, Alice 19th, Ceres: The Celestial Legend, Fushigi Yūgi Genbu Kaiden and Absolute Boyfriend. She likes all music, except heavy metal and old traditional music.

She received the Shogakukan Manga Award for shōjo for Ceres, Celestial Legend in 1997. Since writing her debut short story "Pajama de Ojama" ("An Intrusion in Pajamas"), Wata
More about Yuu Watase...

Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play, Vol. 1: Priestess