Start by marking “Vitellius' Feast (The Four Emperors #4)” as Want to Read:
Vitellius' Feast

L.J. Trafford

Vitellius' Feast

(The Four Emperors #4)

AD 69. As this most dramatic year draws to a close, now is the time to choose a definitive side. Whilst Vitellius enjoys the trappings of power around him, machinations are afoot. In the East, Vespasian has his eye on the throne, but he needs help preparing Rome for his plans and, for his teenage son Domitian, protection from Vitellius' agents. With her characteristic flai ...more
Published December 1st 2018 by Sphinx Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Vitellius' Feast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vitellius' Feast

Paul Bennett
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First things first - I'm going to be sad for a long time. This is the final episode in this, 'the year of four emperors', and this makes me sad. Now whenever I get a craving for the author's very creative writing style I'll be forced into a rereading her books - oh, wait a moment, that is actually a good thing. :-)  Alrighty then, glad to have thought this through, I feel much better; now onto the review of Vitellius' Feast.

As with the other failed emperors, this particular failure is told from
David Baird
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vitellius’ Feast is the final installment of the Four Emperors series by L. J. Trafford. 69AD in Rome must have been a tough time with four emperors holding power within the same year after the suicide of the emperor Nero.

After the tragic demise of emperor Otho we now have Vitellius on his way to Rome to take his place of power, but little do the people know how utterly useless this man will be and within a few sort months will find himself in deep trouble.

During 69AD it seemed like anyone with
Tripfiction
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A novel of sex, murder and mayhem in AD69 ROME

Vitellius’ FeastA novel of sex, murder and mayhem set in Rome, 69 AD is Book IV in L J Trafford’s The Four Emperors Series. It is set in Rome in 69 AD. As with the other books in the series, L J Trafford very skilfully combines all the historical facts she can discover about the emperors (in this case Vitellius), with a vivid imagination – it is historical fiction at its best. Her imagined characters work well alongside the historical ones.

Vitellius
Ray Moon
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I Was Excited to Read This Book — I Was Not Fully Satisfied

This is the fourth novel in the Four Emperors Series that covers the tumultuous 69AD when there were four emperors. This particular novel covers from the marching on Rome by Vitellius and his forces until Rome is captured by the forces of Vespasian. This is an historical novel, and I am not a historian, but I love reading novels set from the late Republic through the early Empire. I did not find any glaring historical errors.

All the ingr
Mandy Lee
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The final book in the Year of the Four Emperors did not disappoint. I loved it just as much as the others! Told through the eyes of Palace officials and slaves, it's a fun, intriguing, sometimes disturbing, but thoroughly enjoyable depiction of this particular period in Rome. All the favourite characters are back - Epaphroditus, Philo, Mina, Sporus, to name but a few. And one much-loved character meets a very sad end. Vitellius seems to be the worst emperor of the lot. A vile creature depicted w ...more
Tabitha Ormiston-Smith
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In this final book of the Four Emperors series, we are treated to another rich serving of history, seasoned as we've come to expect by riotous humour and unexpected moments of pathos. There's real tragedy in this book, and although my dislike of spoilers precludes my saying much about it, I can say that few readers will avoid shedding a tear as we farewell one of our most lovable characters. Trafford is not afraid to let her characters die, and that's a real strength of hers; there is no awkward ...more
Crystal King
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ancientrome
The fourth and final book in the Four Emperors Series by L.J. Trafford does not disappoint. Trafford has a fantastic understanding of the history surrounding the extraordinary events of 69 A.D. and she punches it up with a perfect cast of characters. They're smart, snarky, funny and you fall in love with them, wanting them to outwit the portly Vitellius. This volume brings back old favorites from the previous three books; Epaphroditus, Philo, Mina and my favorite, Sporus, among others. I was hea ...more
Jack Bates
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autho-connected
A fitting and satisfying conclusion to this excellent series. More plotting, shenanigans, bad behaviour and once again the death of a much loved character just in case you thought all your favourites would live on beyond the scope of the story. Alas!

Trafford's evocation of imperial Rome is as convincing as ever in all its noisy, messy glory.
J.D. DeHart
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Working in a way that brought to mind to writings of Robert Graves, this book delves into history from a fictional angle. L.J. Trafford constructs a believable and vivid world, and there is enough plot here to keep us moving, rather than getting bogged down in all the details of what must have been a good deal of research.

Well-plotted, intriguing, and a very engaging read. I recommend Vitellius' Feast for consumption.
Becky Finlayson
Oct 31, 2018
Stephanie
Nov 08, 2018
L.J. Trafford
Nov 09, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Mia
Nov 10, 2018
Lon
Dec 05, 2018
David
Dec 09, 2018
Anders
Nov 02, 2018
L. J. Trafford worked as a tour guide, after gaining a BA Hons in ancient history. This experience was a perfect introduction to writing, involving as it did the need for entertainment and a hefty amount of invention (it’s how she got tips!). She now works in London doing something whizzy with databases.

The Four Emperors (4 books)
  • Palatine (The Four Emperors #1)
  • Galba's Men (The Four Emperors #2)
  • Otho's Regret (The Four Emperors #3)