Start by marking “Crown of Feathers” as Want to Read:
Crown of Feathers

Crown of Feathers

(Crown of Feathers #1)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  4,315 ratings  ·  1,187 reviews
“Absolutely unforgettable.” —Kendare Blake, #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Three Dark Crowns series
“A beautifully told story about justice, sisterhood, and warrior women.” —Shea Ernshaw, New York Times bestselling author of The Wicked Deep
“Epic in the truest sense.” —Quill and Quire

An Ember in the Ashes meets Three Dark Crowns in this lush debut fantasy novel
Published February 12th 2019 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Crown of Feathers, please sign up.
Mikayla It's a trilogy now! News was just announced!!!! I AM SO THRILLED!
Courts & Castles Books There is a hint of romance between multiple characters, LGBT and not, but nothing ever really developed between any of them (yet!)…moreThere is a hint of romance between multiple characters, LGBT and not, but nothing ever really developed between any of them (yet!) (less)

·  4,315 ratings  ·  1,187 reviews

Start your review of Crown of Feathers
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
The February Owlcrate book! Click on the link below to see the goods. I have two favorites in the bunch! =)

THE GOODIES

I quite enjoyed this book!

Mel
jessica
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
well, isnt this just the most surprising adventure!? i mean, i had no idea phoenixes were what i needed in my life, but now i cant get enough!

its definitely the showcasing of this very under-appreciated magical beast that makes the story so unique. because to be honest, everything else is super familiar. i mean, this story is a YA fantasy trope lovers dream. you have the whole ‘those with magical abilities outcasted and enslaved.’ you can check off ‘girl pretends to be boy to live her best life.
Umairah | Sereadipity
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fangirl
Five Feather-Crowned Stars!
Plot: 4.5/5 Characters: 4.5/5 Writing: 5/5

When I realised that this book was not only about phoenixes but also phoenix riders I knew I had to read it. I probably love phoenixes just as much (or maybe even more) than I love dragons and I really hoped this book would do these ferocious, fiery creatures justice. It sure did. It probably increased my love for phoenixes tenfold. If I could, I would definitely become a phoenix rider without hesitation.
"Like poetry on wings,
Amy Imogene Reads
5 stars!

Wow. It wasn’t perfect, the beginning was an info dump—but this was amazing, and one of the best series openers I’ve read recently in YA fantasy.

World Building:
Characters/Character Arcs:
Readability: 1/2
Plot:
Pacing: 1/2

Crown of Feathers is impressive, but it is not for the casual YA fantasy reader. I enjoy reading dense fantasy fiction and I had a hard time connecting to the first 100 pages.

Veronyka and her sister, Val, are two animages on the run from the current anti-magic empire.
Sara
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crown of Feathers is a YA fantasy centered around 2 sisters in a land once ruled by phoenix riders.

I almost DNF'ed this book at 25%, in fact i did stop and read another book instead before picking it back up!
I was really interested in the concept going in and the first couple of chapters were pretty good but after that the story slowed and started to drag. It is pretty heavy on the description which i'm not the biggest fan of but i am really glad i stuck with this. Around the half way point
Mel (Epic Reading)
DNF @ 36%
Crown of Feathers has a cool concept on the surface, the cover is beautiful and (eek!) cute phoenixes. Unfortunately that’s where the excitement ends in this one. I found the plot to be typical, the characters undeveloped and overall the tone of the writing to lack excitement.

Characters
There is really nothing more important than characters having strong personalities when they are the POV. We have the POV of three major characters (lead female and two male). Each of these POVs are
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Two sisters rip apart an empire through war and to find peace the Phoenix Riders must be buried. 16 years later, Veronyka dreams of becoming a Phoenix Rider with her controlling sister. After a shocking betrayal she sets out alone to follow rumors of the riders and to join them even if it means dressing as a boy. Veronyka is not the only one pursuing rumors, so is the new empire and they mean to wipe out the riders once and for all.

The short
Carrie
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Crown of Feathers by Nicki Pau Preto is the first book in the young adult fantasy series by the same name. This series takes readers into a world in which the Phoenix exist and introduces the warriors that ride them. The story is told from the multiple points of view of Veronyka, Sev and Tristan.

Veronyka is what is known as an animage who has the ability to communicate with animals. Since the end of the blood war animages have been in hiding and with a lack of Phoenix eggs the once mighty
Connor
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Video Review:

At first, I wasn’t going to do a review, but I think I might film one now. This is interesting because I had some big problems with pacing, but I ended up having a fun time and enjoying the drama despite the first 50-ish pages being a huge info dump. Like, a dump so bad that you turn the AC off in the car when you’re near it. I’ll leave a link to the review and leave a rating when the review goes up!
Melissa
I have only one thing to say: the book does start slow, and soon you’ll drown in historical details and characters. It’s really hard to keep up in the beginning, it’s not an easy read. I compared it to Game of Thrones and I stick to this comparison. I kept reading because I did too with the Game of Thrones series and ended up loving it, so I gave Crown of Feathers a chance... And I’m so happy I did, so much was happening, I wasn’t able to stop reading it! With all the action, the info didn’t ...more
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Can't wait for this!
Lisa
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, 2019
The sort of epic high fantasy that fills up your imagination and heart. Veronyka is a tender soul - I felt for her in her loneliness and betrayal then joy and friendship.

So many elements of this story are done beautifully- Veronyka and Val’s complicated relationship and definitely the magic and mystery behind animage and phoenix.

A must-read!
Ails
5 FIERY STARS

”From the ashes I rose, like a phoenix from the pyre.”

Praises from NYT bestselling authors:

"A fierce and incendiary tale of warrior women, sisterhood, and the choices that define us, all set in a soaring new world that readers will fall in love with. I couldn’t put it down."
— Lisa Maxwell, author of the Last Magician series

"The unique and imaginative world of the Phoenix Riders had my rapt attention from the first sentence. Nicki Pau Preto is a bright new talent, and I can't
Mila
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dropped-series, arcs
The digital arc of this book was kindly provided by the publisher via Edelweiss+ website in exchange for an honest review.

What I liked:
- The diversity in this book was great and it felt natural;
- The initial ideas and worldbuilding were fascinating; I'd really like to see more books featuring phoenixes.

What I didn't like:
- The info-dumping was very frequent and interrupted the flow of the story; sometimes pretty much the same things were repeated from different POVs and it got annoying very
Mariah
Jul 25, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Not gonna lie, the gorgeous cover was what caught my eye.
But then, having been blessed with the maturity of a 12 year old boy, my gaze snagged on the author's last name. I'm just happy she didn't grow up in Brazil.

If you are also really immature, I invite you to google translate the author's last name (portuguese to english).

I apologize to my family.
Leah
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hall-of-fame
I was fortunate enough to meet Nicki Pau Preto at the Cassandra Clare signing last weekend in Vancouver (read kind of accidentally ambushed her on the way out of the bathroom). At the time I was halfway through Crown of Feathers and loving it, and I had to tell her that. She was very kind and gracious, so I'm going to say it was a good thing I was only halfway through the book then. Because I'm pretty sure my reaction when I finished this would have scared the crap out of her. THIS WAS AMAZING!! ...more
Helen Power
Synopsis

Veronyka is a war orphan who was raised by her deceased grandmother and her older sister, Val. Veronyka and her sister are "animages", and have the ability to communicate with animals. This is not uncommon in the world they live in, but ever since the war their kind have been persecuted. Val and Veronyka want nothing more than to become Phoenix Riders, like the heroes who fought during the war.

After a terrible betrayal, Veronyka flees from her sister and finds a sanctuary for her kind, a
Raquel
Dec 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Uncorrected eARC copy received from the publisher via Edelweiss+ in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review

1.5 : good premise, diversity and disability — predictable and just a bunch of info-dumping
«What did the great heroes do when the sun fell from the sky? They leapt onto those wild flames and learned how to fly»

Review in English | Reseña en español (abajo)
Crown of Feathers is the first instalment of a new epic high fantasy
Fafa's Book Corner
Nov 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
Mini review:

Trigger warning: Mention of death and war. Up till the point I read.

DNF

I received this E-ARC via Simon and Schuster Canada and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Crown of Feathers has been getting a lot of buzz and excitement. When I saw it on Netgalley I requested an arc to see what the buzz was about. Unfortunately I didn't enjoy it.

The first few chapters were fairly interesting. There was quite a bit off info dumping but I found it to be useful to understand the world.
Brittany
ALL THE FIERY STARS
I had the pleasure of receiving the ARC of Crown of Feathers, all opinions are my own and are not influenced by being given this opportunity!

How am I supposed to write a review for this magnificent book when I can’t even form proper words right now! Guys, Guys, Guys, buy this book. Request it at your library. Do whatever you have to, but support Nicki however you can! Crown of Feathers is beyond superb and I will fight to my death shouting about how incredible this story was
Diana
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Omg, what a marvelous book.
Full review coming soon.

Vid review here: https://youtu.be/9o-7pDjI0JM on August 16th, 2019
Elly
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the good fortune to get my hands on an early version of Crown of Feathers, and I immediately fell in love with Pau Preto's beautiful writing. I loved the characters, especially Veronyka and her complex relationship with her sister Val. Fans of action, romance, magical characters, and deep world building will adore sinking their teeth into this richly imagined world!
Laura ☾
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
While I enjoyed the world and the historical aspects, the pacing of this just felt all over the place, and really dragged on in parts!

Crown of Feathers centres on a world which contains Animages, the most proficient of which are Phoenix riders, who are persecuted after a rebellion. This felta little Mulan-esque to me at points (which is definitely bonus points!).

I found the characterisation of Phoenixes and their magic and intelligence brilliant! And the world itself and the characters were
Caylynn Bleess
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 stars
Life was easier when you didn't care - or so he'd thought. He'd spent so much time afraid of hurting, of losing everything again, that he'd forgotten life wasn't worth living - worth saving - if you had nothing to live for.

Now that I've read this book for the second time, I'm finally posting a review of it.

This book is absolutely brilliant. The story is unique and fun to read, the characters are all intriguing and easy to fall in love with, and the mysteries are cleverly hidden
Sam Glasbrenner (SassyOwlReads)
This book was absolutely amazing! I love the concept of Phoenix Riders and there were so many twists that I was an emotional wreck by the end.
Eilidh
Crown of Feathers is an awesome adventure with kick-ass characters. The story is set in a world where the governing Empire prosecute people who are animages: people who possess magic that allows them to connect and influence animals. The most powerful animages were the legendary Phoenix Riders, who were at one point the protectors of the land and of the people before the Blood War saw both phoenixes and their human counterparts executed or imprisoned. At the books opening, anyone who is found to ...more
BookishLor
5/5 Stars

I loved this book with my whole YA fantasy and mythical creature loving heart! It was everything I needed to pull me out of a mini reading slump.

The story begins with the history of two sisters, one born without magic and one an animage and phoenix rider. Both sisters were fighting for the right to rule the kingdom until they tore it apart. Years later, two animage sisters, Val and Veronyka, are fighting as well, but to survive in a world where animages are imprisoned or enslaved and
Brie
2/10/19 I am on a roll this year with amazing reads!!! This one blew me away. Can I have book 2?!? Full review to come

2/14/19
Whoa! What a ride. I picked up CROWN OF FEATHERS by Nicki Pau Preto not knowing much about it, aside from the fact that I loved the cover. Ha! I admit that I only skimmed the synopsis (I'm notorious for this) but once I saw that it was about Phoenixes, I knew I had to read it. Once I started reading I couldn't stop!!! This book had me hooked from the very beginning.

It's
Reva Dawn
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I fell so madly in love with this book and Characters, the world and the magic.

There we’re so many times I thought I knew what was going to happen and then I was like oh dangggg!!!!

She created a one of a kind world for you to get lost in!
Kate
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A bit of a slog. The lore was interesting, but it really was "Info Dump: The Book". It could have been great with some editing.
The Procrastinato...: Crown of Feathers (February 2020) Group Read Discussion 8 22 Feb 09, 2020 02:24AM
M&B Book Club: Chapter 31 to End 2 14 Jun 30, 2019 12:59PM
M&B Book Club: Chapter 21 - Chapter 30 2 7 Jun 29, 2019 03:56PM
M&B Book Club: Prologue - Chapter 10 3 10 Jun 29, 2019 03:55PM
M&B Book Club: Chapter 11 - Chapter 20 2 7 Jun 29, 2019 07:10AM

• Four Dead Queens
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • Amber & Dusk (Amber & Dusk, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • The Bone Houses
  • The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Winterwood
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)
  • Warrior of the Wild
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • I Hope You Get This Message
Nicki is a YA fantasy author living just outside Toronto, Canada. After getting a degree in visual arts, a masters in art history, and a diploma in graphic design, Nicki discovered two things: she loves to escape the real world, and she isn’t interested in a regular 9-5 life. Luckily, her chosen career covers both.

Her YA fantasy debut CROWN OF FEATHERS is out now from Simon Pulse, and the sequel

Crown of Feathers (3 books)
  • Heart of Flames (Crown of Feathers, #2)
  • Untitled (Crown of Feathers, #3)
“But that was the nature of life and loss: There was never enough time.” 11 likes
“Where there is will, there is possibility.” 9 likes