Start by marking “Within These Lines” as Want to Read:
Within These Lines

Within These Lines

Evalina Cassano’s life in an Italian-American family in 1941 is everything it “should be” until she falls in love with Taichi Hamasaki, the son of Japanese immigrants. Despite the scandal it would cause and that inter-racial marriage is illegal in California, Evalina and Taichi vow they will find a way to be together. But anti-Japanese feelings erupt across the country aft ...more
Published March 5th 2019 by Blink

To ask other readers questions about Within These Lines, please sign up.
Calle It's more like a book where the characters are vaguely Christian. There are references to people going to church and praying but no Bible verses or pr…moreIt's more like a book where the characters are vaguely Christian. There are references to people going to church and praying but no Bible verses or proselytizing. The author has previously written Christian books and I think that is where the classification comes from. (less)
Jaime The story is about the romantic relationship between Evalina and Taichi, but there isn't anything explicit.

Start your review of Within These Lines
R.F. Gammon
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Okay, so this was actually really good!

I loved the characters, a LOT. Evalina was the kind of girl I feel like doesn't show up enough in fiction--her fiery, compelling spirit was amazing and her love of political science and desire to seek justice made her very relatable for me. She's the kind of girl I am. And then there was Taichi, who was really just the sweetest guy. I approved of him very much.

Other than them, I really liked James, and I liked Evalina's parents. I thought I would like Aiko
Lilian
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
w o w what a beautiful piece of historical fiction! I had been looking forward to reading some of Mrs. Morrill’s books lately and I’m so glad to say that Within These Lines did not disappoint!

I’ve never been one to read and really enjoy historical fiction, but I loved this book – it honestly inspired me to research more about 1940s and read more books set in that timeframe. Within These Lines deals with many things, but mainly daily life in internment camps. This is one of the only times I’ve se
Lydia Howe
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
(Skip down to read my official review)

Y'all! MISS STEPHANIE'S BOOK IS AMAZING!

I just thought y'all should get that public service announcement. And you should probably go pre-order it, too. I pre-ordered it. And then I was blown away by also being chosen to review an ARC copy.

This book, folks, tells a much-needed story and one pretty much everyone should be familiar with. So, you should probably just add it to your "Highly Anticipated for 2019" list and then block off a few days to read it wh
Roseanna White
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Within These Lines will steal your breath, your heart, and your thoughts for days after you’ve finished. An always-timely look at prejudice and the importance of taking action combines with a tale of deepest love and self-sacrifice. Flawless and beautiful.
Abigayle Claire
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing

This is one of the most engaging and yet educational pieces of historical fiction I've ever read. Rather than the historical fiction that puts a spin on a familiar time and feels compelled to have an extravagant fiction element, this piece really shone a light on the history itself. The characters and events, though somewhat fictionalized, felt very real. Historical.

I liked Evalina more than I expected to as she was a fiery girl who often can't keep her mouth closed. Those sort of femal
Hailey Rose
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You know those books that just kinda blow your socks off with their awesomeness? Yeah, this is one of these books.

Within These Lines far exceeded my expectations. After reading so much WWII fiction, most of which is focused on military stories and nurses, having a story based in California about a totally different subject is a nice change. It's so cool to get a new perspective and see what life could have been like for an average citizen during the war.

I related with Evalina more than I've re
Keturah Lamb
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book made me mad. In the sort of way that means I love it so much and will be recommending it to a lot of people. Wow, it's so powerful. I'd known that America had concentration camps during WWII. But I hadn't really read much about them. But wow. America was (and is) the bigger hypocrite to have had something like this and then turn around and condemn Hitler.

It's just disgusting.

I loved (and related way too much with) Evalina. Her anger at injustice. How she made politics personal. As sh
Malia Saldaña
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: good-books, ww2
I knew this book was going to be hard to read. I didn’t think it would be that hard!!!! Oh my gosh! The ending was good though. My favorites were Diego, Aiko, and James.
Joey T
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Woooooow
I know i say wow a lot in review of books I love but
Wooooooow
Kay, I’m done.
This book deals with racism happening during World War Two. It’s a hard book, but that’s what makes it so beautiful.
The lovelies:
The characters were so fabulous and amazing. I also realized a little in that the main character (Evalina) is related to the characters from The Lost Girl of Astor Street. ❤️ that was a pleasant surprise, seeing I hadn’t made that connection before
The history: I’m not a huge history pe
Sarah Sundin
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thought provoking and timely, Within These Lines highlights a dark period in history. Through compelling characters, we see the injustice and feel the fears and doubts and dilemmas. But mostly, we see the shimmering ribbon of hope through Evalina and Taichi’s unrelenting love. Stephanie Morrill has written a novel to ponder, a novel to cherish.
Katie  Hanna
May 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Great story, even though I didn't love everything about it. Three and a half stars.

What I loved:

- The richness & diversity of the historical premise (interracial romance between an Italian-American girl and a Japanese-American boy, set against the background of Japanese internment during WW2.) This is GOOD AND IMPORTANT STUFF and WE NEED MORE OF IT IN FICTION. Particularly YA fiction. We get too many 'cookie cutter' World War II books about happy 'ordinary' [read: white] people fighting happily
Jill Williamson
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. I'd never read anything about the internment camps in the United States during World War II. This story teaches history while it entertains. I loved the characters so much and was rooting for them! I can't wait until everyone can read this one.
Megan Wilcox
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*sighs, sets book aside, stares off into space, sniffs sadly that it is over*
Five shining stars for this wonderful book!
I never knew about the horrible things that happened to the Japanese, Japanese/Americans, following Pearl Harbor. So heartbreaking!
But gosh, this was such a good book!
After being a bit tired of only reading theology/apologetics books lately, this was an excellent choice, I daresay!
I was unsure about the writing style at first, but my hesitation faded away as I was caught up in
Gabrielle
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on Word Play (www.gabriellenblog.wordpress.com).

This was such a good book! I loved both of the protagonists, and only wish I could've seen more of them (especially together).

Highlights:
-Characters. Love these precious cinnamon rolls. 'Nuff said.
-Time period--I don't know a lot about what went on at home during WWII, so I appreciated this alternative look at this difficult time in history.
-All the emotion. Normally, I'm not a fan of strong emotion, but this book did it just righ
m a r y l i z
May 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm pleased to say this met my expectations (and exceeded them in some ways!)

This book has important things to say & the INJUSTICE MADE ME ANGRY. (But like, in a good way.)

Highly recommended!

I would love to do a full review but as usual, I make no promises lol. Suffice to say, this was a Very Good Read and I recommend it.

4 stars
Rebekah Gyger
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

This is a confusing review for me to write. I've been extremely excited for this book for a while now, ever since reading Girl of Astor Street and learning that this was to be Stephanie's next book. I had hoped for a novel as awesome as that, hopefully with some mystery as well. However, this book was not as similar to the author's last as I hoped.

As always, Stephanie's writing is amazing. It is easy to read and relate with, and I blew through the story in a day with little to complain
Brian McBride
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read WITHIN THESE LINES in a day. This book is so good. I loved the characters. I loved Evalina’s fiery spirit and Taichi’s tender heart. I loved Diego’s (best fictional best friend award goes to this guy btw) protectiveness and Aiko’s honesty. I loved the story and the language and the prose and the fact that this wasn’t a will-they-won’t-they romance - it was a we-love-each-other-so-we’re-gonna-fight-together kind of romance. Which is something you rarely see in fiction these days.

The story
Rachelle Cobb
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-read
I will think about this book long after I close it. What a stunning, stunning story. Well-written. Haunting. Highly recommend.
Leah Good
How can someone be loyal to a country that has cast him out? How can love survive when all the odds stand against it? How can goodness prevail when those fighting for freedom also violate the virtue they've gone to war to protect?

Evalina Cassano and Taichi Hamasaki were never meant to be together ... yet they are determined to be together anyway. But that was before Pearl Harbor. Before people saw an enemy in the slant of Taichi's eyes and the tint of his skin. Before he was evacuated to a detai
Fiction Aficionado
Within the Lines may have been written for a young adult audience, but it is a story that will appeal to young adult and not-so-young adult readers alike. In saying that, I think this is a must-read for young adult readers in particular, because it is an eye-opening reminder of the pain and inhumanity people inflict on one another when they allow fear and anger to guide them. If we don’t teach the generations to come about these lesser-known parts of history, however shameful they may be, we doo ...more
Rachel McMillan
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A softly beautiful tale told with a magnetic pull that tugs you in to its history and lasting resonance. Timeless themes of prejudice and racism are met with timeless romance and through these, Morrill uses Within These Lines to prove her incredible range.

As per her trademark, the characterization is dimensional. Evalina and Taichi become the reader's immediate friends.

A lingering treatise on heritage and tradition but also the power of love to span culture and conflict.

A tenacious heroine an
Isabel
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I DON'T EVEN READ HISTORICAL FICTION
EXCUSE ME BUT WHAT JUST HAPPENED
i didn't really have any idea what this book was gonna be like but wow yes
also i wasn't paying attention to what percent of the book i had read and then the end just hit me like a brick help
WOW THIS IS BEAUTIFUL
Allyson
I remember first hearing about this book on Mrs. Morrill's Facebook author page, and I have been dying to read it since then. Fast-forward several months later, and I'm hardcore fangirling about this beautiful book. <3

Highlights:

Focus on Japanese-American Internment Camps
My favorite aspect of Within These Lines is that the author went into the book with the purpose to realistically portray how Japanese-Americans were treated while living in internment camps during World War II. The descriptions
Lila Kims
Jul 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars!
Gabrielle Schwabauer
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Stephanie Morrill is a wonderful storyteller. I picked this book up at midnight before bed and finally pried myself away to go to sleep at 3:30 a.m. Over the next couple of days, I looked forward to reading a sizeable number of chapters each evening.

I was already familiar with the disgusting treatment of Japanese-Americans after Pearl Harbor, but this story personalized that suffering in a way that mirrored modern atrocities without ever sacrificing the story. This story can't help but bring to
Lisa Mandina
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Although this one actually started off slow for me, and I was unsure if I would like it, it really redeemed itself in the end. I usually love historical fiction like this, especially when it is about certain parts of history that I only know the bare minimum about. To be honest, the only thing I really knew about the Japanese detainment camps during WWII had to do with what I'd learned from one of the characters in the original Karate Kid movie. Yeah, I know, that's sad. I'm sure I learned other ...more
Carlye Krul
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
Every book that Stephanie Morril writes becomes my new favourite book, including Within These Lines.
Esther Filbrun
I haven’t known about the Japanese American concentration camps in the US for very long. Several years ago, I came across a book about it, but I never finished it—probably because I didn’t find it all that interesting. However, my curiosity about the history surrounding that has been somewhat piqued since then, so when I saw this book coming out, I was excited to read it to learn what I could!

I instantly fell in love with Evalina and Taichi’s story. Seeing these two friends trying to make the be
Elizabeth N. | ThePennilessBooknerd

Even though she only has two books out in the genre, Stephanie Morrill is becoming one of my favorite historical fiction authors. I really enjoy her writing, she is fantastic at telling stories! I'm just sad it will probably be two years before she releases another book.

So, I tried to write a summary but it turned out awkwardly written and just wasn't working...

But I really liked this book. Sometimes I don't like dual perspectives, but this was done perfectly. I'm going to look more int
Ashley Bogner
I read this in one afternoon. Review to come!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Storm Rising (Book of the Wars, #1)
  • Pretty in Punxsutawney
  • We Were Beautiful
  • The Silence Between Us
  • White Rose
  • The Light in Hidden Places
  • The Downstairs Girl
  • This Light Between Us: A Novel of World War II
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • Dust (Heirs of Neverland, #1)
  • In the Neighborhood of True
  • Heart of a Royal (Daughters of Peverell, #1)
  • Romanov
  • A Gilded Lady (Hope and Glory, #2)
  • The Paper Girl of Paris
  • To Best the Boys
  • The Number of Love (The Codebreakers, #1)
  • The Blossom and the Firefly
Stephanie Morrill is the author of several young adult novels, including the 1920's mystery, The Lost Girl of Astor Street). Despite loving cloche hats and drop-waist dresses, Stephanie would have been a terrible flapper because she can’t do the Charleston and looks awful with bobbed hair. She and her near-constant ponytail live in Kansas City with her husband and three kids. You can learn more ab ...more