Start by marking “To Best the Boys” as Want to Read:
To Best the Boys

To Best the Boys

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  4,094 ratings  ·  1,165 reviews
The task is simple: don a disguise. Survive the Labyrinth. Best the boys.

In a thrilling new fantasy from the bestselling author of the Storm Siren Trilogy, one girl makes a stand against society and enters a world made exclusively for boys.

Every year for the past fifty-four years, the residents of Pinsbury Port have received a mysterious letter inviting all eligible-aged b
Published March 19th 2019 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about To Best the Boys, please sign up.
Kelly H (Readallaboutit) Yes there are. It is all Female and Male relationships. There is nothing explicit at all! There is some kissing but that's all!

·  4,094 ratings  ·  1,165 reviews

Start your review of To Best the Boys
Mary Weber
Sep 18, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I clicked "Read" on my Goodreads bar and it promptly nudged me to (1) rate my own book, and (2) answer the question, "What did you think?"

Well... to the first part - I won't rate it other than to say...you know, my mom and I kind of like it.

To the second -
What I think is that I wrote To Best the Boys for the girl I've been and still often am. I wrote it for the daughters I have who've lived so much of this book, and for my sister who recently returned to school and earned a bio-chem degree. I w
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
March Fairyloot Book Of The Month. Click on link below the picture to see the wonderful goodies!

THE GOODIES

Thank you to Thomas Nelson for a hardback of this book!

Partial quote from the author:

For the girl who’s been told to quiet down, calm down, sit down, or just leave it to the men-this is for you. And to those who told you such things? Watch. Us. Rise.

I feel like this will be an inspiration to young girls. The book will show them they don't need a man to make it in life and to think fo
jessica
hm. there is a solid foundation present within this story, with really creative ideas, but it isnt developed as well as it could be. in other words, this isnt bad but it could be better.

strong feminist vibes and women empowerment are very present themes in the story, but its a little too overpowering. every word and action by rhen is basically to prove men wrong. i get it, i think it will inspire the target audience of this story, but it was just a bit much for me and took too much attention aw
C.G. Drews
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you thought getting into university was stressful, w o a h, take a step back and read this book. This is basically a maze competition where the winner gets a scholarship and PTSD. #Kind And I really enjoyed myself with this one! The author is so lovely on instagram and has reached out and said kind things to me during my debut year (writing is hard, folks) so I was super excited to read my first book from her. It definitely didn't disappoint!

➸ it's a very apt discussion of today's world too
L
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

I love Mary Weber as much as her food recipes she shares with us every single month! I don’t usually decide whether to read a certain book by its cover, but this cover made me want to find out more about it. When I read the synopsis, I had to read it, as it captures women fighting for their rights in a young-adult format, and it simply was something I couldn’t miss.

I will be honest with you and say that this book didn’t deliver. Maybe it was
Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
One of my favorites so far this year!

Fascinating tale of feminism in a world where women are not yet able to do anything but get married off In hopes of bettering their position in society. The heroine Rhen has been homeschooled by her father who was of a lower class than her mother’s family. When her mother married him she was disowned from the family.

Rhen wants to be a scientist like her father and wants to cure a plague like disease that is running rampant through the lower classes. Her mothe
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to Thomas Nelson for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Nadine Brandes
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I. NEED. THIS. NOW.
Carrie
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
To Best the Boys by Mary Weber is a young adult fantasy that I couldn’t help but think was a bit like taking The Handmaid’s Tale and mixing with The Hunger Games. This is a lighter read than either mentioned but it does take place in a male dominated society which runs an annual competition.

Rhen Tellur is unlike other girls her own age who only train to run a household and please a husband. Rhen instead is out surveying corpses and trying to come up with a cure to her mother’s disease working al
Nicki Chapelway
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kind of was expecting a cliffhanger because, well, this is Mary Weber after all. I guess this was a standalone, which is somewhat disappointing because I would have loved to have spent more time in this world.

Rhen, Seleni, Lute, Beryll, Sam and Eric <3 <3 <3 <3 I loved these crazy kids more than I can say.

And I am so appreciative of this portrayal of strong females. They don't all have to kick bums or sass every nearby males. They can take care of their family and have different dreams. Whether
m a r y l i z
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Well then.

I didn't hate it, but that's the most glowing praise you'll get out of me.

Two stars feels slightly harsh, but three stars feels too generous . . . *scratches head* Times like these make me wish Goodreads had half stars, but c'est la vie.

L I K ES:

-The cover. The way the letters loop around the maze and the gorgeous greenery everywhere?? Yeah. I'm digging that cover.

-A YA BOOK WITH SUPPORTIVE PARENTS. Ladies and gentleman, you heard that correctly. This is indeed a rare specimen. It's n
Katie.dorny
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
This was okay but it didn’t blow me away the way I expected it to. My first big disappointment of 2019.

I did enjoy the characters of Rhen, her Da, Seleni and Lute. And I did the hate the characters I was supposed to, but it just didn’t pack a knockout blow.

It reminded me slightly of Caraval, actually a LOT of Caraval. It just seemed to have a slight feminist twist on it.

I did also enjoy the romance, but it was just so obvious that it didn’t overly affect me either way.

This was good, but with a
Mara YA Mood Reader
2 stars. Did I read the same book as everyone else? I’ve never read anything by this author before so perhaps I don’t have a loyal disposition to her—which I totally get and that’s fine but this felt like it was rushed through editing.

There were a lot of inconsistencies that I am shocked slipped past editing. Things like describing the sweltering heat, but they’re wearing coats and then swimming in the warm sea, but then all the sudden it’s cold and someone’s shivering and standing by the fire
Maya
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Thomas Nelson through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

Got to say that I'm pleasantly surprised by this book. It was quite good actually and I really liked the heroine, Rhen and the whole concept of the story. When I first read the blurb my first though was that the story was going to be something similar to The Hunger Games and there was some resemblance to it, with the game and the oppression, but not as much a
Anja H.
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
*2.25 DISAPPOINTED STARS*

“You take this world and make it what it should be."

I hate to say this, but I’m feeling incredibly underwhelmed right now.
The premise really spoke to me. You know, girl power and all that. I was pretty sure this was going to be one of my favorite reads this year, as the Labyrinth/maze-type setting reminded me of The Hunger Games or Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

I did love Rhen. She was fierce and smart. I also really loved Lute and Seleni and Beryll and pretty
Lilian
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOWWWWWW. WHAT?? *mindblown*

Review @ the blog!

I read To Best the Boys in pretty much one sitting and absolutely loved it. It’s about a girl who enters a maze and competes against boys to receive a scholarship to the all-male Stemwick University–doesn’t that give you the Hunger Games vibes?

It certainly did for me, at least for the first one-third of the book (it’s even in present tense!). And then it kind of steered off into its own thing, which I loved! I wasn’t quite expecting the maze to be
Maddy
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness, THIS BOOK. I had high expectations for this story and it completely lived up to them. This book is literally amazing and definitely one of the best books I’ve ever read. Yep, it was that good.

To Best the Boys follows a character named Rhen. Wanting to be able to get a higher education, she disguises herself as a boy and enters an all male contest in a maze, hoping that she’ll win the scholarship. If that’s not the coolest story line I don’t know what is. ;)

The first 100+ pages
Inge
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
To Best the Boys has one of the most exciting premises I've seen this year - it promises a strong female character who's more than savvy in the science department, a thrilling competition, and perhaps a lesson on two on feminism.

The strong female character? She's totally there. Rhen Tellur is smart, headstrong, and very easy to root for. Her best friend, Seleni, is softer, and the perfect example of how female characters don't need to be able to wield knives to be considered badass.

The thrilling
Mellie Antoinette
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
“To Dissenters: No one likes a sore pouter-so stay
home.”

I probably would have categorized this as a MG retelling of all your favorite YA fandoms, because this was ADORABLE!! It was cute, approachable and had happier moments reminiscent of:
✅ Alice and Wonderland
✅ The Hunger Games
✅ Caraval
✅ Audrey Rose Wadsworth
✅ The Maze Runner.

“My Labyrinth was you. Your mind. Your heart.
Your trust.”

Super enjoyable!
Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐
Happy book birthday, To Best the Boys! Go check this one out, guys. It's definitely worth the read!
4.5

What do you want?
I want my mum to live.
I want the right to earn an education.
I want to be the first female scientist.
I want to create my own happiness.
I want . . .

Okay this was a really interestingly good book. Like I almost don’t even know how to begin this review???? This is another case of me starting an ARC, being interrupted and reading a million other books, and then finally finishing it.
Tracey Dyck
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
AHHHH! I'm so, so glad this book lived up to--and surpassed--all the hype that surged at the time of its release.

Like many of my friends who've read To Best the Boys, I was somewhat concerned that it'd be a heavy-handed feministic sermon. But it turned out to be the best novel dealing with feminism that I've ever read! And that's partially because that wasn't the sole POINT of the story. But let me get back to the beginning.

WHAT I LOVED

-I. LOVE. RHEN. She's super relatable, even if I don't prefe
Tana &#x1f33b; Cozyreadings
19/04/2019

O.W.L. Readathon 2019
✔️Herbology: Plant on the cover

First of all: this book takes Nevernight's spot for best opening sentence. So macabre, but I can't help but love it.

The problem with siphoning blood from a bloated cadaver is that sometimes it's belly makes an involuntary twitch just as you're leaning over the discolored skin. The problem with being the girl currently stealing the sticky blood is that while logic says there's an explanation for such phenomena, the rest of me says
Rosalie
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A solid 4.5 stars!

This book is not a man-shaming feminist manifesto as some (perhaps even myself *cough cough*) feared it would be despite Mary Weber's repeated statements that it in no way tears men down.

Turns out she was /right/ when said that it builds up both genders and is a fun, atmospheric, (at times) weird story. Funny how that works out.

AHEM.

I think it's well worth reading if you're into fantasy, girl power that doesn't come at the expense of guy power, creepy ghouls and sea sirens, fun
Erin O'Connor {If The Review Fits}
Guys, I'm so excited to finally write this review! This was a book that I received from NetGalley, and it got voted to be read as one of my group's (Anyone Else?) buddy reads for May, so I was able to actually make time to read it and I'm not sorry!

I fell in love with this book by chapter 1, I hope to one day be in the medical field and the main character in this book (a female) was! And especially in the time this book hailed in. I really enjoyed reading this book, one because of all the medic
Gabrielle
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
This book was absolutely amazing, and I loved every minute of it. This book has come the closest to matching the feel/tone of one of my all-time favorites--The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater. Fans of that masterpiece and Mary Weber's previous work should adore this book.

Some highlights:
- Girl Power (without being ragingly feminist). While the story did feature platonic and romantic relationships, the heart of the story was the message that it's okay just to be you. Not someone's friend, girl
Raquel Flockhart
“It’s not that I don’t belong. It’s that I belong to me.”

I’ve been interested in To Best the Boys since I read the synopsis. A mysterious labyrinth and a scientist girl wanting to best the boys in a competition? It sounded like my cup of tea. Unfortunately, it wasn’t what I was expecting.

Rhen Tellur is a teenager who dreams about becoming a scientist in a fantasy setting where only boys get a chance to go to the university. When she receives the annual letter inviting boys to compete for a scho

bee  ˘͈ᵕ˘͈
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
three stars ∗ wow, i was not expecting to love this as much as i do. i had absolutely no issues with this novel whatsoever, and i found it to be completely charming and such a fun read!

i fell in love with rhen - our main character - and her feistiness and desire to learn and prove herself. she was so smart and cunning; she really reminded me of audrey rose from 'stalking jack the ripper'! i loved her drive and passion and it was so wonderful to read her story. i also fell in love with lute - the
Isabella
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 3.75 (I am the Amy Santiago of ratings)
Amitaf0208
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 solid stars. It is a YA Fantasy, cross between Handmaid's Tale and Ready Player One. Enjoyed it immensely and loved the main character.
Vivianne
I received this book in a Fairyloot and though I wasn’t particularly drawn to it I decided to pick it up for some reason I still don’t understand and decided this was an absolute waste of my time and money.

I didn’t care for this book one bit. Literally every single thing in this book is underdeveloped, boring, predictable and cliché. Don’t be fooled by the cover, title or synopsis. The only good thing I can tell you about this book is that it is a standalone so that you don’t have to debate if

• Viper (Isles of Storm and Sorrow #1)
  • The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic #1)
  • Eight Will Fall
  • Circle of Shadows (Circle of Shadows, #1)
  • Romanov
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Fire & Heist
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Wicked Fox (Gumiho, #1)
Hi. I write books. I eat things. I kiss things. I believe in mermaids.

I'm also the author of the Storm Siren Trilogy, The Evaporation of Sofi Snow series, and the March 2019 release, To Best the Boys. When not working, I sing 80’s hairband songs to my three muggle children, and ogle my husband who looks strikingly like Wolverine. We live in California, which is perfect for stalking aging movie sta