Start by marking “The Perfect Betrayal” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Betrayal

The Perfect Betrayal

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  3,354 ratings  ·  575 reviews
'A captivating, suspenseful thriller that draws you in - with a twist that will take your breath away.' TM Logan, bestselling author of Lies

***

After the sudden death of her husband, Tess is drowning in grief. All she has left is her son, Jamie, and she’ll do anything to protect him – but she’s struggling to cope.

When grief counsellor Shelley knocks on their door, everythin
ebook
Published March 14th 2019 by Transworld Digital

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Perfect Betrayal
Maureen
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Tess is struggling to come to terms with the untimely death of her husband Mark in a plane crash. Meanwhile, her 7 year old son Jamie, (not unnaturally) misses his daddy terribly, but neither of them know how to express their grief without anger - both of them drowning in their loss.

Grief counsellor Shelley Lange is enlisted to help Tess through those tough first few months, but she soon becomes more than a counsellor when Tess begins to look on her as a friend, and they start to spend more and
Dita
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was engrossing, heartbreaking and compelling. I made the mistake of starting it at 9:00PM and 200 bleary eyed pages later I could barely lay it down.

That being said, I don't know if this is so much a thriller as a deep dive on grief and letting go.

Tess is lost in the days after her husband is killed in a commercial plane crash caused by pilot suicide, leaving her to raise 8 year old Jamie alone. Like a phoenix from the ashes comes Shelley, a social worker who seems too good to be true.
Kaceey
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*
Tess is living a nightmare! Her husband Mark died suddenly and she just can’t pull herself out of her deep grief.

Tess is determined to keep everyone at bay. The more distance, the better. Just going to cocoon herself in her home with her son Jamie in hopes of starting the healing process.

Then, comes a knock on the door. Shelley is a grief counselor bringing with her a glimmer of hope. Maybe there really is a chance for recovery and new life. But soon Tess is pointing her fingers at everyone
Holly  B

*3.5 STARS

A clever psychological, suspense thriller.

This is the author's debut and it reminds me of the writing of B.A.Paris or Louise Candlish a bit. It even reminded me a little of one book in particular.  I mostly enjoy their books as well.

The way it starts with Tess Clarke in the hospital (with a fuzzy memory) was very intriguing to me. My curiosity had the best of me and I had to know who stabbed her and where her eight year old son was. She was very concerned about his whereabouts and the
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
This was a captivating mystery! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Tess Clarke wakes up in the hospital just after her son, Jamie’s, birthday the day before. She has been stabbed and now her son is missing.

Tess’ husband, Mark, passed away in an accident a few months ago, and taking care of Jamie is the only thing getting her out of the bed in the morning. They lean on each other through their grief, and it’s been working okay for them all things considered.

No one is listening to Tess now, though, and her world is com
Mark
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing

READ IT
THE END
😎
Seriously I would leave it at that but better say more about this top notch pyschological thriller
Tess and her son Jamie are grieving the loss of their hubby/dad after a plane crash
To say Tess is distraught is an understatement and so her Mum involves a grief counsellor Shelley, she is amazing.....too amazing...who is she really and what does she want?
Ian ( hubby’s brother ) appears on the scene demanding £100,000 that he says he is owed....
Shelley and Ian seem to whisper togeth
Katie B
This was a worthwhile read for me although I would not say it is among the best in the psychological thriller/suspense genres. I happened to guess correctly early on as to which direction the author was going to go so that was slightly disappointing but the story as a whole was compelling and without a doubt worth my time.

A few months ago, Tess's husband, Mark, died and she has been struggling to keep things together for the sake of their son, Jamie. The day after Jamie's 8th birthday, Tess wake
Debra
Aug 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Waking up in the hospital after her son's eighth birthday, Tess is confused and doesn't understand what is going on. She's been stabbed, her son is missing, and no one appears to be listening to her. Tess has been at a loss since the death of her husband and struggles to keep things together for her son. Why does everyone in her life, seem to be against her? Why does it as if she can't trust anyone?

The perfect son was a book on the slower side for me - at least the beginning was. The blurb talks
Nazanin
Aug 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, mystery, thriller
3.5 Stars

Tess was suffering from depression caused by her husband’s death. He died in a plane crash a few months earlier. Now it’s just Tess and Jamie (their son).
The day after Jamie’s eighth birthday, Tess woke up in the hospital, she was stabbed and Jamie was missing! Her memories were disturbed, she just knew that her brother-in-law and her grief counselor were involved! How did she get there? How did it come to this...

Well, this is a very slow-paced psychological thriller but unfortunately n
—ReadAlongWithSue—
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have had so much on in real life as I started this book that I’ve been eager to get back to it. I hadn’t been able to read the second part of the book for 2 weeks. Unheard of by me, but there you go.

Tess has a son Jamie, both are grieving the loss of her husband, Jamie’s dad.

This starts off with Tess waking in ICU, she has stab wounds. Of course the Police are there asking questions but......Jamie isn’t there, where is he?

There’s a lot going on and Tess mother things she needs counselling , gr
Review in progress.

Thank you to Berkley Publishing Group and Goodreads Giveaways for the opportunity to win an advance reading copy (ARC) of The Perfect Son.

This title is for sale 8/13/19.
megs_bookrack
Upon waking in the hospital, Tess Clarke, has one thought on her mind: she must find her son.

Something happened on the day of his birthday party. She can't recall exactly what, but it ended with her being stabbed and Jamie, her son, being gone.

The format of this was interesting.

We have excerpts of interviews between Tess and her doctor, interviews with two individuals tied to the incident, and the bulk of the story told through flashbacks of the days leading up to the big event.

We discover that
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
I started reading The Perfect Son on 6/30/2019 and finished it on 7/6/2019. This book is an okay read. A slow start to the first 300 pages with readers not knowing much of what’s going on. There are little information trickling in and tensions here and there but not enough to know if it’s real or imagination. Reading and not knowing makes me anticipate for an explosive ending. The ending is okay. This book reminds me of The Woman in the Window. Both female main characters talk to their husbands ...more
Amanda
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Tess is struggling with life after losing her husband Mark in a plane crash. She is left to bring up their son Jamie on her own. Tess goes to the Doctors for sleeping pills and comes away with antidepressants and advice for her to see a Grief Councillor.

Along comes Shelley Lange sent by Tess’s mother, she is a Grief Counsellor
Quote ‘Should have seen her coming. Like a siren bright and blue, flashing in the night”

Shelley seems to come along at the right time, a saviour amongst all the grief and
Berit☀️✨
Lauren North has crafted a clever and compelling psychological thriller. This was an absorbing story packed with tension, suspicion, and heartbreak. Tess has recently lost her husband Mark and now believes that her beloved son has been taken. Tess’s grief and frustration were palpable, drawing you further in as you turn the pages. The book starts off with Tess in the hospital having been stabbed and desperate to know what they are doing to try to find her son Jamie. The book then tells the story ...more
Theresa Alan
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The novel opens with Tess in the hospital. She’s been stabbed and her eight-year-old son is missing. Since her husband Mark died in a plane crash, Tess’s memory is full of holes. Maybe it’s from the depression or grief, or maybe it’s from the medicine she’s been prescribed to deal with the depression, or maybe something more sinister is afoot.

The story itself is a well-done thriller. It goes back in time from when her husband died to the days approaching her son’s birthday when she was stabbed a
ABookwormWithWine
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️💫 / 5

The Perfect Son by Lauren North was so good that I would never have guessed it is a debut novel.

What it's about: Tess Clarke lost her husband in a plane crash a few months before her son Jamie's 8th birthday. After Jamie's birthday she wakes up in a hospital with a stab wound and no one will listen to her or tell her where Jamie is. As Tess tries to piece together what happened between the plane crash and her son's birthday, she might not be able to come to terms with the truth.

The
Jayme
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
3.75 rounded up

Tess Clarke wakes up in the hospital, one day after her son Jamie’s eighth birthday. She has been stabbed, her son is missing, and she thinks her brother-in-law, Ian, and her grief counselor, Shelley have had something to do with it.

Why won’t the Detective listen to her?

Perhaps it’s because 55 days ago, her husband was killed in an airplane crash-the one where the pilot chose to commit suicide by crashing the plane he was flying- and Tess has not been coping well?

Excerpt:

“Here’
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
Wow....twisted till the last page!!!
Great psychological debut...I'm torn with empathy and disbelief in the main character.
You just never know what people go through.

This novel oozes with a cerebral unease from the beginning and throughout. A novel that holds you gripped and leaves you tethered.

Tess is counting down the days until her son Jamie's eighth birthday. Recently widowed, she has lost her husband on a business trip to Germany in a plane crash. Grieving and unable to deal with the deman
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to Berkely for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

Phew. This was a challenge to read.

So, what's this book about?
When Tess Clarke wakes up in the hospital the day after her son Jamie's eighth birthday, she's sure of these things: She's been stabbed, her son is missing, her brother-in-law and her grief counselor are involved. But no one is listening to her.

After her husband, Mark, died suddenly in a terrible accident a few months earlier, the only thing keeping Tess
Selena
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free e-copy of The Perfect son by Lauren North from NetGalley for my honest review.

Tess, a recent widow, wakes up in a hospital bed the day after her sons (Jamie) 8th birthday. She had been stabbed in her abdomen and her son, Jamie is missing. All Tess feels like she has to live for is her son, Jamie and now he is missing.

Tessa’s husband, Mark was killed in a plane crash months ago and she has been seeing a grief counselor, Shelley about it. Shelley has dealt with her own grief, as
Stephanie Nicholas
I know some peeps really enjoyed this book, but for me it was, no pun intended, imperfect.

Tess has lost her husband in a plane crash caused by suicide by pilot. She has a seven year old son, Jamie, who unexpectedly disappears on his birthday. She wakes up in the hospital from a stab wound, and the entire book is about the month or so leading up to Jamie's disappearance. What happened? Why is she in the hospital? Where is Jamie? Who is responsible and why?

This was an entire novel of uninterrupted
Christy
The book begins after Tess Clarke wakes up in the hospital the day after her son Jamie's 8th birthday. She has been stabbed and Jamie has gone missing. You also learn that Tess's husband, Mark, has died in a plane crash. A grief counselor named Shelly has been helping out and Tess had started to become suspicious of her before the terrible event. Tess was also thinking her brother-in-law was involved.

I really enjoyed how this is told...in almost a count down fashion. Twenty days until Jamie's b
Ceecee
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book started really well and was well paced throughout. The central character was Tessa who was grieving for her husband who was killed. A number of disconcerting things happened that seemed very threatening and Tessa does not know who she can trust. The book was written in countdown style to her son Jamie’s birthday and following the birthday the mystery of what has been occurring was resolved.
I really enjoyed this well written thriller. It was also about what grief can lead to and who you
Oscar
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Slow but with an explosive ending! At first I found myself complaining because it felt things are barely happening. There was no progress, at least for me, for the first half of the book. I dnfed this book a lot of times back in 2019. It bummed me out. This year, I decided to continue it. I just wanted to know the story. One can say curiosity kept me glued all the way through. Not the best thriller, but damn the ending. It was crazier than what I was expecting.
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
We meet Tess in the hospital after she had an accident at her son's birthday party and after coping with the death of her husband a few weeks ago.

Something is going on since her husband’s death, and Tess doesn’t know what it is. All she knows is that she is happy she has her son.

Her brother-in-law, Ian, says Tess needs to pay back the 100,000 her husband lent him, flowers are left on her doorstep with no note, her son is being very difficult, and an appointment with a social worker that Tess doe
Monika Sadowski
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Omg, what an unexpected ending. The beginning was very interesting and then the book started to be a little bit dull and then bam!! the big turn around. Great psychological suspend about grieving wife and missing son. What happened on his eighth birthday party? I will be looking for more from Lauren North..

Thank you to Net Galley and Berkley Publishing Group for a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
Erin
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-borrowed
This book left me completely shattered. Not something that is often stated when reading a domestic thriller, but the grief which main protagonist, Tess is going through in the aftermath of the loss of her husband, Mark just drips off the pages. Tess is barely hanging on, trying to figure out life as single mother. But when Mark's brother Ian begins demanding a look into his brother's finances, strange things begin to happen. Who is the man that keeps following Tess around town? Who is calling he ...more
Shelby
Tess wakes up in a hospital room after being stabbed at her son’s birthday party. Tess is in a frantic state, demanding for her missing son, Jamie to be found.

Several months earlier, Tess’s husband, Mark, died in a plane crash, leaving Tess to parent their 7-year old son, Jamie, alone. Tess is suffering from extreme grief after losing the love of her life, and doesn’t know how to move forward.

Tess’s mom contacts a grief counselor named Shelley who starts paying regular visits to Tess’s house.
Brandy
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love - it’s unconditional, endless, bottomless, boundless, fearless. A mother who’s young is threatened can quickly turn into a savage when pushed to far and to hard. Yes friends, trust me when I say, a mother will do anything to ensure their child’s safety.

Tess, recently widowed, wakes up in a hospital. She only knows two things for sure. One, she has been stabbed and is in a hospital. Two, her son, Jamie is missing. Tess quickly realizes she must rac

• One More Lie
  • The Rumour
  • The Housewife
  • Woman on the Edge
  • The Woman in Our House
  • The Night You Left: The tense and shocking thriller that readers can’t put down
  • The Birthday Girl
Lauren writes psychological suspense novels that delve into the darker side of relationships and families. She has a lifelong passion for writing, reading, and all things books. Lauren’s love of psychological suspense has grown since childhood and her dark imagination of always wondering what’s the worst thing that could happen in every situation.

Lauren studied psychology before moving to London

News & Interviews