Start by marking “Barnabas Tew and The Case of The Nine Worlds” as Want to Read:
Barnabas Tew and The Case of The Nine Worlds

Barnabas Tew and The Case of The Nine Worlds

(Barnabas Tew)

Hold your flying horses!

Barnabas Tew and Wilfred Colby are back, and, once again, they're in a bit of a pickle.

Barnabas and Wilfred, two earnest but bumbling Victorian detectives, travel through the Nine Worlds of Norse mythology, trying to stave off the impending end of the world – an event which the locals call Ragnarok. This time, however, the intrepid twosome has som
Published September 4th 2018 by Crooked Cat Books

To ask other readers questions about Barnabas Tew and The Case of The Nine Worlds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barnabas Tew and The Case of The Nine Worlds

Kirsty ❤️
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've managed to read these in the wrong order and have ended up reading them in backwards order so probably in the final one I have to read I'll see how the story actually started. Doh! As with Cursed Serpent I really enjoyed the relationship between Barnabas and his trusty sidekick Wilfred and the crazy adventures they get up to. Another highly fantastical, enjoyable mystery.
Yesha- Books Teacup and Reviews
You can read all my review on Blog - Books Teacup and Reviews

Barnabas Tew and the case of the nine world was second in series, a mix of Humor, cozy sleuthing mystery, Norse mythology and entertainment about two bumbling British detectives from Victorian era whisked away from the real world to the mythical world to solve cases for Gods. First for Egyptian God Anubis and now for Norse God, Odin.

Book started exactly from where the first ended. Barnabas and Wilfred’s journey continues from Egyptian
Lis Carey
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, f-sf, fiction, mystery
Barnabas Tew and Wilfred Colby, having completed their unwanted assignment in the Egyptian Land of the Dead, have been helpfully packed off to the Nine Worlds of Norse mythology, to help Odin out with a little problem. Loki's bowl, that is, the silver bowl that his wife, Sigyn, uses to catch the venom that a snake is dripping on the face of the bound Loki, has been stolen. Odin wants to know by who, and he wants the bowl back.

Since neither Barnabas nor Wilfred has ever studied Norse mythology th
Koeur
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Publishing Date: July 2018

Publisher: C. Noonan

ISBN:9781722407285

Genre: Fantasy

Rating: 2.5/5

Publisher’s Description: Everyone’s favorite bumbling detective, Barnabas Tew, is back! He’s as confused as ever but is ready to save the world once more…this time from Ragnarok. It seems that someone has set in motion a string of events that will trigger the ending of the world as we know it, unless Barnabas can discover the culprit and foil the plan before it’s too late. Can he make his way through the N
Stefanie Rls
This book is the second one in the series and I'm going to immediately say that I'm glad I read the first one too because there are definitely some spoilers in this one about Barnabas and Wilfred's adventures in Egypt's afterlife.
Other than this it has some of the same issues as the first one.
Not only word-wise I had trouble whilst reading, but there were also mistakes in the plot and writing.
I went back and forth thinking it was again the main characters that messed things up, but this time i
Studentofparables
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
….in which a Victorian detective goes around yelling at Asgardians.

As much as that quick elevator pitch makes me smile, it doesn’t do this book justice. While this is a fun, jaunty read, the reader is immersed in a depth of setting and plot that proves the author has definitely done her research. Think of it like a fine painting or great photograph. While the focus is on the subject in the foreground, without the fullness of the background scene, it would just be a flat, one dimensional moment.
Hélène Louise
Nov 09, 2018 marked it as gave-up
Shelves: ebook, netgalley
I'm sorry to say that I couldn't read much of this book and gave up reading it quite quickly. It has many qualities, especially a beautiful,old-fashioned style with a humorous effect. But that was precisely the problem for me: I felt that the story was, since the very beginning, just a pretext to perky banter, funny misunderstanding, spectacular scenes. The style is very evocative, the scenes are easy to imagine in a cartoonish way - but that's not what I'm looking for in a book.
It's exactly fo
August Is Azathoth HPL 129 August 20!
Review: BARNABAS TEW AND THE CASE OF THE NINE WORLDS by Columbkill Noonan

You know Holmes and Watson. You know Tommy and Tuppence. You know Mr. and Mrs. North. Now meet probably the two most unlikely hero-detectives ever, who give new meaning to The Fool card in Tarot. Barnabas Tew and Wilfred Colby are the Laurel and Hardy of World-Saving and Apocalypse-Averting. In their first book they were killed by a mummy at the behest of Anubis so that they could enter the Egyptian land of the dead. Now th
Donna Maguire

This is the second book I have read by this author in this series and I have to say that they have both been excellent!

I love the idea that the author has had with this series and she has created fabulous characters and brilliant plotlines that have been very enjoyable and with this one she has brought in a little bit of another of my favourite topics – Norse mythology – I loved it!

Five stars for this one from me – an excellent concept that has been very w
Laura Reading
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will rate this between a 3.5 and a 4. I enjoyed it more than the first book but still am having some reservations about recommending this series.
Once again there was a lot of bickering and back and forth dialogue. It reminds me of the Laurel and Hardy movies I watched as a child. In that respect, I think young readers may enjoy it, but being based on Norsk Mythology, there may be some topics that are not well suited for younger readers.

It has a LOT of action, danger, adventure and unusual sit
Miriam Drori
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book in return for an honest review. This makes no difference to my rating/review of it.

What if...? That's a question all fiction authors ask many times in the course of writing a story. It could be: What if character A met character B? Or: What if X happened to Character A? The premise of this novel is much more unusual: What if two bumbling Victorian detectives found themselves having to solve a mystery in the world (or worlds) of Norse mythology?

Of course, if I'd rea
Gmr
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Admittedly, my info base came from what bits and pieces I've run across in life...and from watching Thor. Yep, no shame in my game, and you know what? Even THAT little bit of knowledge made connecting things throughout the story a bit easier...understandably so when you're dealing with two deceased detectives (sorta like a Holmes and Watson situation) who are just on the other side of the living...as in NOT...as in that is one of their reasons for traveling to Asgard in the first place....to see ...more
Michelle Ryles
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: galleys-read
I have always been intrigued by myths and legends, but I have never learned about them, and I have to say that Columbkill Noonan has created such a fun and innovative way to learn about Gods and Goddesses of various ancient religions and mythologies. I already had a keen interest in Egyptian mythology, which drew me to the first book: Barnabas Tew and the Case of the Missing Scarab, but, having had no idea about Norse mythology, I have to say that I have learned so much by reading Barnabas Tew a ...more
Jéssica
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
The fun thing about following a series is that you get to see their develop and get to know them better little by little, just like you would do with a friend. The first book in this series is an introduction to Barnabas and Wilfred, as well as Columkill's writing style and humor. With this one it was like another episode of Barnabas and Wilfred's crazy adventures in discovering the truth behind the crime.

To those that know about Barnie (as I'm now calling him) and Will's last adventure through
Katreader
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BARNABAS TEW AND THE CASE OF THE NINE WORLDS
by Columbkill Noonan
The Second Barnabas Tew Mystery

Victorian private detective Barnabas Tew and his loyal assistant, Wilfred, have left the heat of the Egyptian Underworld behind them and are now facing the cold of the Norse afterlife. Tasked by Odin, with Brynhild as their guide, the intrepid due travel the nine worlds of Norse Mythology in search of a stolen silver bowl. Will they be able to find the bowl and return it to Sigyn before Loki escapes or
Jessica Belmont
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Barnabas and Wilfred are at it again and I absolutely love these two. This time they need to ban together to solve a mystery in the world of Norse mythology. I actually think this book is a step up from the first novel, and I was a huge fan of the first. Columbkill Noonan’s writing is fantastic, yet again with vivid descriptions, fantastic characters and all the humor I was hoping for this time around!

The mystery is complex, and every place or person Barnabas and Wilfred come across gives the re
Sandra
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book on NetGalley for an honest review. I did not read the book that came before this one, but I sort of picked up on the gist of it while reading Nine Worlds. What drew me in was the Norse mythology component, and while some things differed from the mythological readings I know and love, there was a lot that paid tribute to the tales, as well. Overall, I enjoyed the wittiness and back and forth banter between the characters. I had a clear picture in my mind of what Bar ...more
Steve
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second, fun supernatural mystery of the series

I enjoyed this book. Like in Barnabas Tew and the Case of the Missing Scarab, Columbkill Noonan tells a good, well-paced, lighter story. All the things I liked about the first book of the series, I liked about this one too. The characters are well developed and quirky. Some of the wording is very clever and worthy of re-reading. If you liked the Inspector Hobbes books by Wilkie Martin, or The Case of the Deadly Doppelganger by Lucy Banks then you
Valerie
Review coming soon!
Alexis Drake
Praticamente uguale al primo, solo che al posto degli dei egizi ci sono quelli della mitologia nordica. Mi spiace dire che come mitologia non mi ha mai interessato granchè, e purtroppo la trama è davvero la stessa. I due personaggi principali passano da un dio all'altro facendosi raccontare cosa fa quel dio, da che parte sta, nel mentre facendo finta di essere dei personaggi divertenti.
L.S.
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to follow in line with Blog tour Sept 4th
Nan
Jan 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
This looked like it would be fun. But I found the lead character so incredibly annoying that even the Norse gods couldn't get me to hang in to the end.
Rosanna
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Meh

The story is interesting but the mason character is absolutely obnoxious. It's seems he is written to be charmingly ignorant but he's just ignorant and intolerable.
Proud Book Reviews
This is the second book in a series about two detectives that get taken into the various lands of the gods. I know the first book is set in Egypt because the title is "Barnabas Tew and the Case of the Missing Scarab". However they also tell us throughout this book that Anubis kidnapped them and had them working in the Egyptian afterlife to solve his case. We join the two detectives when they are leaving Egypt and on their way to Asgard. One of the Viking god realms, and this particular one house ...more
Christina Jones