Start by marking “The Sporting Horse” as Want to Read:
The Sporting Horse

The Sporting Horse

Exhibiting grace and poise as they master the intricate movements of dressage; galloping like the wind at more than thirty miles per hour; soaring over huge competition fences; running tirelessly across every type of terrain – horses are simply stunning athletes. Naturally fleet of foot, they have strength, stamina and intelligence to match. We ask a great deal of these am
Published September 6th 2018 by White Lion 1

To ask other readers questions about The Sporting Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sporting Horse

Start your review of The Sporting Horse
Clare O'Beara
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous and informative, this book is a must for horse lovers. When I got an e-ARC I browsed all the photos straight away, one more beautiful than the next. Look at that Warmblood doing dressage, the palomino barrel racer, the Andalusian in the sea. And all the pictures of teams of horses in driving sports. The book is full of motion, strength and colour. The horses are supple, moving, glossy.

I found lots of great information too, most of which is not the standard horsey info in other books. I
Heike
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, graphic, non-fiction
Beautiful coffee table book with awesome pictures of horses in different sports as well as free running. The photographer has a very keen eye to capture the beauty of the horse.
As typical for this kind of book I pretty much skipped reading the text. The little bit I read was not very knowledgeable when it came to western riding disciplines, the book was heavy on dressage and show jumping, which would be expected from a book published in the UK.
Literary Soirée
“The Sporting Horse: In pursuit of equine excellence” by veteran journalist Nicola Jane Swinney features gorgeous photographs that reveal horse and rider working together in glorious sync. Focusing on four key sporting attributes – athleticism, speed, agility and endurance – the author explores how centuries of selective breeding and careful training have developed and refined these traits for activities from dressage to polo, from snow sports to reigning. Highly recommended!

Pub Date 04 Sep 2018
joyce w. laudon
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the perfect gift book for riders and those who love horses. Some of you out there may well want to make this book a gift to yourself. Many disciplines including dressage, show jumping, polo, carriage driving, eventing, and others are described in this lush book. The importance of the bond between horse and rider is emphasized with the author describing horses as animals who are eager to please. The reader can dip in and out of the book, reading about the horse encounters they most love o ...more
Janet
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would give this book 5 stars for the photography alone! Then you add the prose and it is exquisite! The author focuses on athleticism, speed, agility and endurance and how we have managed them throughout the ages through training and breeding. I believe this book belongs on any horse lover's shelf. It is written conversationally and it is so well organized and thus flows beautifully. It is a book that you can pick up, open to any page and quite honestly find it engrossing and entertaining. Wel ...more
Aggie
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Could not view the book in the offered format, the only reader available is Aldiko, which has extremely limited settings, not good for viewing pictures. Still give 5 stars as it appears to be a very good book.
The Quarto Group