Start by marking “Wasted Calories and Ruined Nights: A Journey Deeper into Dining Hell” as Want to Read:
Wasted Calories and Ruined Nights: A Journey Deeper into Dining Hell

Wasted Calories and Ruined Nights: A Journey Deeper into Dining Hell

Includes Le Cinq, Beast and Farm Girl Caf�, and a new introduction by the author.

Jay Rayner isn't just a trifle irritated. He is eye-gougingly, bone-crunchingly, teeth-grindingly angry. And admit it, that's why you picked up this book, isn't it?

Because you aren't really interested in glorious prose poems celebrating the finest dining experiences known to humanity, are you?
ebook
Published October 2nd 2018 by Guardian Faber Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Wasted Calories and Ruined Nights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wasted Calories and Ruined Nights

Rebekah
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fiona
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I always enjoy Jay Rayner's fury when a meal and/or experience doesn't meet his (reasonable) expectations. I mean I don't wish him too many rubbish, pretentious dining experiences BUT they do make excellent bite sized reads.

I also appreciate the fact that even though so many of these reviews are of places in London, Rayner still expects decent, enjoyable food if the starter is £13. Up north that can get you a very decent meal in some places after all.
Annemarie
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge fan of Jay's columns, and it's just as he says - part of the joy is "gorg(ing) on the details and luxuriat(ing) in vicarious displeasure."

The man has a way with words. He's a master craftsman. I laughed out loud countless times while reading this. I highly recommend it.
Ian
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny, biting, and fun

A collection of Jay Rayner’s reviews of bad restaurants is always going to be good. This admirably short collection had me laughing out loud on a crowded train, and you will too.
Lanny
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
I love restaurant reviews and i snorted with laughter throughout this
Sian Bradshaw
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A nice comforting little snark fest that distills the best of the sarkiest.

As usual Jay Rayner's excellent wit shines through. It's a short book but an evil giggly one.
Theres Lessing
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
He's very upfront about what you're getting - the chance to relive his worst restaurant experiences, getting a sort of pleasure out of how bad (and expensive) they are.
Elisabeth
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliantly funny, a bad meal for Jay Rayner is pure delight for anyone reading about it!
Sam
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy reading Jay’s columns & books. At heart, he’s just a man who wants good food & is skin-blisteringly pissed off when he doesn’t get it. Bring on the next book please!
Mayreen
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jay Rayner has a way with words. Hilarious accounts of overpriced awful offal and such like. Job not as glamorous as it sounds eh Jay?
Olivia Brook
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Not as good as the first collection but that is probably because I remember reading so many more of these review 1st time round so but as many surprises.
Lewie