Start by marking “Back to You (Against All Odds #1)” as Want to Read:
Back to You (Against All Odds #1)

Back to You

(Against All Odds #1)

One of you, one of me…

As a private investigator, I have a perfect record when it comes to closing cases…as long as you don’t count the only one that ever really mattered to me.

Even after a decade, the memory of the foster boy I once shared a room with continues to haunt my dreams. For five years, Riley helped me laugh when there was so little in our lives to laugh about.
Published September 13th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Back to You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Back to You

Start your review of Back to You (Against All Odds #1)
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***2 Stars***

You ever watch a movie trailer and immediately want to go see the movie, only to go see it and discover that the trailer was the best the movie had to offer? Yeah, that's what you're going to get here.

That blurb really sucks you in, along with the first couple of chapters, but then everything begins to fall apart.

Let's start with the positives:

- I really loved the connection that Riley and Beckett formed while young boys in foster care. I also really love that their foster parents
Aki | nose buried in books | ❤️ |
3.5

I liked this second chance love story a lot, it's really sweet and nice, but I didn't love it.
Maybe because this isn't really my favourite kind of book.. anyway, it took me a while to warm up at the story. Especially at the beginning, I must admit, I was really bored, but then I started to enjoy it more.
I'll read the second book in the series, I am curious enough about Jake's story!
Nat ReadingAllNite
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kim Breyon has debuted a very engaging book about young love and second chances. At 10 years old, Riley is placed in the same foster home as Beckett, 13, soon becoming each other’s best friends. After a few years, Beckett owes to live with his older sister but is still nearby. He leaves for a college tour and upon his return, finds that Riley has disappeared. No one will tell him what happened due in part to legal restrictions but other obstacles are later revealed. Years after, working as a PI, ...more
Nic
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice

Nicely done. But gosh there were a lot of tears. Both main characters developed a bond when they needed comfort only to be ripped apart. They found each other by happenstance now they worried if their connection was still there. The story was well written characters strongly developed and the story was not over the top of too drawn out! Will look forward to Jake's story!!
Candice
I liked this one. New to me author.
Laura ~Passion flower
Oct 09, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: mm-romance, arc
Back to You was graciously provided to me by the author for an honest review. Review to follow.
Mari  Cardenas
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 Stars!

I loved Beckett. He was protective and supportive and I just felt he was a good man that deserved better than what he'd gotten. I really liked Riley, but since we only got Beck's POV in the first few chapters, it took me longer to connect with him. I wasn't sure what to think of his reticence to invite Beck back into his house, and even when he explained his motives, I still wasn't too sure I understood it. Anyway, after we started getting some chapters with his perspective it was
Xanthe
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This book definitely packs an emotional punch. Our first book from Kim Breyon, definitely not the last that I will be reading from her. I can't wait for book 2!
We meet Beckett, currently working as a PI, who heads to Reedsport on a case and stumbles across someone he's been looking for for 10 years. Riley was his best friend and so much more but one day just disappeared but Beckett has never forgotten, constantly living with a hole in his chest that Riley left. Upon his discovery, he
Kendra T
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it

I tend to rush through books and read quickly, but I couldn’t not really do that with this one. I can’t exactly pinpoint why, but it could’ve been because the book felt a deeper and emotional than I was expecting or initially in the mood for. That isn’t to be taken as a bad thing. I was drawn right into Beckett and Riley’s story, and my heart broke for them as we saw them struggle with missing the other, the pain their separation caused, and the Riley’s fear of thinking it was too good to be
Ari Aranda
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This lovestory is incredibly sweet. Usually flashbacks bother me, but this time I thought they were well inserted and fitting to the novel. If you like friends-to-lovers and knowing what each MC is thinking, this one is for you! But I was very surprised that people found it super dramatic, I mean, yes, It's sad at times and I was very intetested to see which role Beckett's sister might have had in keeping them apart, and oh all of that heartache! But you won't suffer at an Amy Lane's Chase in ...more
Tanja
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a wonderful book this is. I adored it. It gave me all the feels. So much sadness and heartbreak and then just as much joy and love. It is so beautifully written. Right from the start, I was pulled into the story, and I just couldn’t stop reading.
Riley and Beckett grow up together in a foster family, but Riley got adopted by his grandfather. From that moment, they lose sight of each other, whether caused by unexpected circumstances or by family interference. Then, after several years,
Jennie
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Private investigator Beckett and artist Riley/Preston are best friends who lost touch 10 yrs ago.
I liked the flashbacks, giving us an insight into their childhoods.
Watching them trying to reconnect after such a long time was sweet.

Great story which flowed well, making it an easy, entertaining read.
Bit of mystery. Full of emotion, family, secrets, and hope. Loved it!
Sali
Feb 16, 2019 marked it as did-not-finished
Dnf 6%
Not for me.
K.R. Phoenix
Heat Level: 3.5

An epic and emotional second-chance romance!!

This is a wonderful and powerful debut story by Kim. She is able to inject so much emotion into her writing and so much detail I could feel the world she’s created forming as I read. So many emotions and a such a dynamic journey to find your first love again after ten years apart!

The story follows PI Beckett as has stumbles across his childhood best friend and love of his life, artist Riley, (now going by Preston) while on a
Megan
The angst is high as is the concerning codependency issues both in Riley and Beckett's past as well as their present. As they figure things out together, this very slow-burn romance gives them a lot of room to be open, honest, and happy, but that's not always how life works. So many things unsaid between them about their past and present that it makes the story seem much longer than it really is. Despite taking a long time to get to the point of everything, this was a good story that I felt ...more
❤Sharonica-Logic❤
RileyBeck

As tropes go, second chances are not my thing. Typically, I will pass them by simply because I believe in always moving forward. Something told me to read this one, and I am so very glad I did.

THIS was one of the most heartwarming love stories I have read this year. I loved the dual POV along with the step back in time at the beginning of each chapter.

Along with that, "Back to You," called to me because one of the MCs was an artist and Goddess knows I am a sucker for artists in love.
Meg
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up

This is a very sweet romance between two men whose feelings developed when they were teenagers. It has a lot of flashbacks, but I can deal with those due to the fact that they give us some much needed backstory to the current events. The characters are well developed and the writing style is smooth.

There is a lot of angst in this story. Due to the circumstances of their youth, Beckett and Riley are separated before they have a chance to explore their new feelings, let alone share
Ravenclaw Silverstripe
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a new author to me and I am always hesitant when trying out new authors. Admittedly, I can be quite picky when it comes to what books I like reading.

I will say this is started off a little slow to me but not in an annoying way, just in a way that made me appreciate the writing a little bit more. The flow of the words stood out to me and made me pay attention to the shifts in tone.

I love second chance and best friends to lovers tropes and this one perfectly combined the two. Riley
Amanda
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5/5 stars

[I received a digital arc for an honest review]

"We were torn apart by circumstance. Horrible, selfish circumstance."

Back to You is the first book in Kim Breyon's Against All Odds series. It was sweet and emotion filled second chance MM romance.

The two main characters, Riley and Beckett, carried this story for me. I cared for each of them and wanted them to finally get their happiness. Beckett had a strong, protective and caring personality. Riley was an artistic soul who was much more
Rachwithheadinabook
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 - 4* Second chance love.

This is the debut book by this author. It packs a bit of an emotional whoop with plenty of tears.
It is a book about two young boys in foster care, with a family that supports and loves their charges (which is nice to see) who develop a bond of best friendship, when circumstances beyond their control force them apart. Ten years later, a hunt for a box brings them into each other’s lives once again.

The flashbacks at the beginning of each chapter showed different times
Sarita Chapdelaine
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
This is an amazing story that I absolutely loved and I could not put it down. It is beautifully written, emotional, sweet, intense, heartbreakingly sad, full of hope, has an intriguing storyline, the setting is lovely, the characters are incredible and the author did an excellent job showing the history between the two MC's. Riley and Beck are perfect for each other and even though they were separated for ten years they never forgot the strong bond they had formed as kids. The intensity of their ...more
Linda
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I didn't want it to end!

I didn't want it to end. The emotional journey of Becket and Riley was beautiful. The growth of their friendship during their childhood upheaval, their intrinsic understanding of each other's emotions, the devastating loss of that friendship through choices made for them by others, to the serendipity of finding one another again.
All of these chapters in their relationship were so well written. As they moved forward in renewing their relationship, the flashbacks of their
BookSnuggle
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Back To You is book number one in the Against All Odds series by Kim Breyon. This is Beckett Sanders and Riley Tanager’s story.

Beckett and Riley met as kids when they ended up in the same foster home. These two developed a special friendship but circumstances forced them to lose contact with each other. It’s been ten years and Beckett still cannot forget his best friend Riley and he hasn’t given up looking for him.

This is a slow burn romance where the characters has endured so much. I loved
Violet  Marshall
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in The Against All Odds Series. A mesmerizing book the writing was good. The plot was entertaining and it was steady throughout the book. I found the story and characters likeable. The characters were developed and thought out. Riley and Beckett are the MC’s of this book. I enjoyed this book, but I think that it needed more. There were flashbacks at the start of each chapter and although I liked that they were in the book. I found it distracting that they were partial ...more
Elle
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I loved the premise of this book and looked forward to reading it. It's a sweet second chance story, childhood sweethearts, torn apart and reunited. And that's it really.

It kind of meandered along. I liked both MCs, especially Beckett, but felt that Riley/Preston lacked substance. I also felt that the story as a whole was too long and could have been tightened up.

The lack of communication between the two drove me up the wall! There was a lot of, 'Are we in a relationship? Or Are we just hooking
Jennifer Reilley
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I loved it hard. I started it Easter
Morning and didn’t want to go anywhere to have to put the book down. The following morning I was up at 3a reading because I fell that hard in love

Beckett and Riley met in foster care and became the very best friends a kid could have. Their foster family loved them as their own until they were separated.

Flash forward many years where both men are not whole the way they are living. Until fate brings them back together

This was an emotional
Terri
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a terrific story of reconnecting and finding love with a best friend. Beckett and Riley met in foster care, where a strong and loving bond developed between them. When they were separated, each began a grieving process that never really ended. This grief affected the other relationships in their lives and kept them in a holding pattern that only changed once they found their way back to each other.
I loved these men, and I enjoyed seeing both their childhood bond and the way their
Shelly
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beck and Riley's journey gave me most of the 'feels' that the best friends-to-lovers trope typically delivers. I thought the flashbacks were well done and gave us an understanding of their codependent relationship when they were young. I also liked the world building details she added, making Riley's quiet little seaport seem so real. It was a sweet love story with some angst due to a number of external conflicts the two younger boys, and then later men, had to circumnavigate. Overall, I'd give ...more
Mrs.V
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was so beautiful! It's both a best friends to lovers and a second chance. Riley and Beckett become best friends as kids when they spend 5 years with the same foster family. Just when they both start realizing that their feelings for each other run deeper than friiendship, they're separated by external circumstances and cannot find each other for the next ten years, though they both look for the other and cannot get over the loss.
The chance reunion gives them both hope to restore their
Bee
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was such a good comfort read, like coming home to a hot cup of tea on a cold day.

The main characters were sweet and it was so easy to fall in love with them and most of the supporting cast were endearing as well! I remember thinking ‘wow, I really hope we get more of Jake after this’, so I was excited to see that the follow up book will focus on him,

Each chapter began with a childhood flashback scene, which is something I often find disorientating and unnecessary, but here I found

• The Last Text
  • Safe Harbor (Pine Cove, #1)
  • Wilde Love (Forever Wilde #6)
  • Pixie (Ballsy Boys, #5)
  • The Hunt
  • Melting for You (Neighborhood Shindig, #1)
  • Copper Creek (Sawyer's Ferry #3)
  • The Fire (Love in O'Leary #4)
  • Brighton (Training Days #2)
  • Princes of the Universe (Crazy Little Thing, #1)
  • The Hate You Drink
  • The Truth Within (Pelican Bay #3)
  • Made for You (Love and Family, #2)
  • Mr. Frosty Pants (Home for the Holidays, #1)
  • Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case (Jon's Mysteries, #1)
  • The Nature of the Game (Stick Side #2)
  • Intoxicating (Elite Protection Services, #1)
I am an Idaho native who grew up dreaming about traveling the world and writing stories. As a child, I would often spend my spare time curled up with my favorite blanket and a notebook, writing another fairy tale. I never would have guessed those fairy tales would one day grow into gay romances, but that is where my heart led me and I am so glad it did. I write about love because I believe it can ...more

Against All Odds (2 books)
  • And Then You (Against All Odds #2)