Start by marking “Doorbells at Dusk” as Want to Read:
Doorbells at Dusk

Doorbells at Dusk

Halloween has always gone hand-in-hand with horror. The holiday gives many children their first taste of terror, the discovery and overcoming of fears. For those who find they love a good scare, that first taste can grow into a voracious appetite.

That might be why you’re looking at this book right now. If so, you’ve come to the right place. Doorbells at Dusk is a treasury
Published September 3rd 2018 by Corpus Press

To ask other readers questions about Doorbells at Dusk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doorbells at Dusk

Start your review of Doorbells at Dusk
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
October 9, 2019: SALE ALERT! $0.99 on the Kindle store! This is one of my favorite horror collections of all time and there's no better time to read it than right now!

Like most horror fans, it should come as no surprise when I say that Halloween is positively one of my favorite days of the year. It has so much to offer, and given that October is general is my favorite month, Halloween is always the icing on top of the cake of excellence that is October. That said, there’s a shockingly low amoun
Zoeytron
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can pick your poison with this bag of Halloween treats that masquarades as a book of short stories.  As the streets fill with little monsters, pay close attention.  Some of those costumes seem all too real with what is going on.  Be on the alert for jack o'lanterns that may be more than empty pumpkin heads.  Make your way through corn mazes meant to confuse and confound, and discover a hidden pumpkin patch with its gruesome bounty.  Regard the unmothered baby carriage from afar, and have a c ...more
Kimberly
DOORBELLS AT DUSK: Halloween Stories, is a Halloween-themed anthology featuring fourteen all new short stories, edited by Evans Light. As is usual in any collection, certain stories will appeal more to different people. However, the background of Halloween gives these tales an additional boost of interest, as most horror-readers can't get enough of this season. The stories range from psychological, to visceral, and even pure observation.

Here are a few of the stories that really stood out to me,
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Erin and Corpus Press for sending the Night Worms review copies in exchange for honest reviews.

Doorbells at Dusk is a no-brainer for horror fans looking for a Halloween anthology stuffed full of October mood and atmosphere.
My favorite stories were as follows:

Rusty Husk by Evans Light- Straight-up horror. Evans pulls no punches and goes right for the throat with this story. You think one character is pretty messed up and terrifying but then someone else comes on the scene and makes
Char
DOORBELLS AT DUSK: HALLOWEEN STORIES was an above average anthology that challenged me to take my time and savor the tales of Halloween mischief. I failed that challenge!

There are 14 spooky tales included within, and these were the ones that stood out the most for me:

KEEPING UP APPEARANCES by Jason Parent. I just adored this story of Halloween thieves picking the wrong house to burgle. I laughed out loud at the eyeball scenes. (Not sure what that says about me.)

VIGIL by Chad Lutzke. This wasn't
Latasha
Doorbells at Dusk! What an awesome collection. Great to read anytime but really great around Halloween. Each story is unique and has something different to offer. I thought of them like this: the book is your trick or treat bag and the stories are the candy. A surprise but oh so sweet! Some that I enjoyed the most: the Rye-Mother, Rusty Husk, Many Carvings and Offerings.
Bill
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very good anthology for the Halloween season. There is something in here for everyone and I enjoyed all of the stories, but of course, some more than others. Standouts being “The Rye-Mother”,” Keeping Up Appearances", “Vigil” and “The Friendly Man”.

“Mr. Impossible” was probably my favorite as I am a huge fan of Gregor Xane’s work and it may have been the most unique tale in the bunch. Possibly slightly out of place amongst the more straight forward stories in the collection. That’s why I dig G
Evans Light
Aug 17, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
THIS IS NOT A REVIEW. THIS IS AN ADVERTISEMENT.

Doorbells at Dusk: Halloween Stories is an anthology featuring both modern masters and rising stars of dark fiction, covering a gamut of horror, literary fiction and suspense that is sure to thrill both horror aficionados and casual readers alike.

Carve your pumpkins and turn on the porch light, the night of frights begins with the sound of… Doorbells at Dusk .

Authors include: Josh Malerman, Lisa Lepovetsky, Chad Lutzke, Amber Fallon,
andrea caro
I saw a tweet about this anthology and immediately headed over to Amazon to purchase my copy. Anyone that knows me knows that I'm a Halloween fiend, so a new Halloween anthology to read in the middle of what I call Pre-October (the months after winter that come before October itself - I hate spring and summer) is something that is completely up my alley. All in all, this is a great anthology and one that I would call a favorite. Most stories in this book were perfectly on point and soothed all o ...more
Mindi
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was sent to the Night Worms group by Erin and Corpus Press in exchange for an honest review.

I'm so glad I waited until later in the month to read this anthology because it's such a fun Halloween read! I was only familiar with 3 of the authors going into this one, and I love that, because it means that I'm about to potentially find some new favorites. This book has a number of creepy stories that stick with you, and a number of them are from authors that are new to me. I absolutely love
Michael Hicks
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nothing says Halloween quite so much as a new horror anthology devoted to carved pumpkins, witches, ghouls, and murder as we turn toward the darker half of the year. Doorbells at Dusk is a solid entry into the annals of such anthologies, gathering fourteen short stories from a range of the horror genre's talents like Josh Malerman, Amber Fallon, Chad Lutzke, and more.

Doorbells at Dusk showcases a broad range of Halloween horror themes, as well. There are some truly fun and occasionally depraved
Jon Recluse
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, anthologies
A stand out Halloween anthology that delivers a trick or treat bag full of tasty chills.
Editor Evans Light has gathered a coven of 14 excellent tales from some brilliant writers, and kept the quality high.

Personal favorites include:

KEEPING UP APPEARANCES by Jason Parent
THE FRIENDLY MAN by Thomas Vaughn, and
THE RYE MOTHER by Curtis Lawson

Highly recommended.

*I received a paperback ARC in exchange for an honest review*
Peter
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Doorbells at Dusk, is the Halloween anthology that you have been waiting to sink your teeth into. Of the 14 tales, I listed some that were my favorites.

Keeping Up Appearance by Jason Parent
A group of greedy Halloween thieves, decide to rob the wrong house.

Trick "Em All by Adam Light
A boy parents have no faith in him, so he begins to talk to a carved up jack O' Latern.

The Friendly Man by Thomas Vaughn
The Friendly Man, loves to scare the hell out of the trick or treaters. This year, The Friend Man
 Reading Reindeer
Review: DOORBELLS AT DUSK ANTHOLOGY
(Various Authors; edited by Evans Light, Gregor Xane)

A delightfully rich collection, suffused with horror of many flavors and degrees, some subtle, some "up front." Whether you choose to sample one at a time, like bonbons, or devour the entirety, here's a fine selection designed to keep you eager for (or fearful of) that special holiday, when leaves drop, woodsmoke scents the air, children quest for candy...and the Veil thins...

"A Plague of Monsters" by Charles
Cameron Chaney
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
You can see my video review HERE, but here is a look at my written thoughts:

Evans Light, most known for bringing us books centered around the Halloween season, is responsible for Bad Apples, a series of Halloween-themed anthologies featuring tales from many dark and creative minds of the genre. While I have yet to read those books, I have heard marvelous things. So when Evans Light announced his latest Halloween anthology Doorbells at Dusk, I had to get a copy for review. I'm very glad I did.

Whi
Emily
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
"His interest in Halloween could not be explained in the limited vocabulary of man. To him, it was simply magical." - Curtis M. Lawson

Doorbells at Dusk is an anthology of 14 horror stories related to Halloween. It starts out very strongly, but the stories wound up being hit or miss for me. I had only read one author from this book before (Josh Malerman), so it was awesome to be introduced to a lot of new horror writers.

This anthology is such a fun idea, and I loved getting to stay in this Hallo
Douglas Hackle
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Get your Halloween on, son! This short story anthology showcases an entertaining assortment of Halloween flavors ranging from the gorily fun and unnervingly suspenseful to the darkly droll and mythically fantastic. Standouts for me were “Rusty Husk” by Evans Light, “Mr. Impossible” by Gregor Xane, “The Friendly Man” by Thomas Vaughn, and “Adam’s Bed” by Josh Malerman. Fun stuff. 4 stars.
Tracy Robinson
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this anthology of new "trick or terrors" offered up by editor Evans Light and associate editors Gregor Xane, Jason Parent, and Adam Light. New from Corpus Press this year, Doorbells at Dusk has some great stories within its covers. Here are a few favorites of mine:

A Plague of Monsters - Charles Gramlich
*is it insanity or reality?

The Rye-Mother - Curtis M. Lawson
*the wall between worlds thins a little - should we break through?

Rusty Husk - Evans Light
*Husk takes great pride in his an
Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)
An anthology all about the most glorious of holidays for those of us who delight in darkness and revel in terror and frightful stories? You know I’m more than game.

These fourteen all-new stories feature a few writers I was familiar with, but mostly people I’d never read before—which I consider a plus, as one of the things I really enjoy about anthologies is finding new voices to love. I would have liked to see a little more balance between genders: there were eleven stories by men and only three
Mike
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it

Y'all like Halloween, right? I don't need to sell you on the theme of this one.

My five faves from the anthology:

"The Rye-Mother" by Curtis M. Lawson

"Rusty Husk" by Evans Light

"Vigil" by Chad Lutzke

"Between" by Ian Welke

"Offerings" by Joanna Koch

This one was fun. Dug a lot of the stories, and even the ones that weren't my favorite got me in the mood for the season.
Glenn Rolfe
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a review copy of DOORBELLS AT DUSK in exchange for an honest review.

I was pleasantly surprised when this book arrived in my mailbox. Everyone likes a nice Halloween themed anthology, and DOORBELLS AT DUSK (for he most part) delivered just the right balance of the slightly creepy and the macabre.

The strongest:
"THE RYE-MOTHER" by Curtis M. Lawson (My favorite story in the collection)
"KEEPING UP APPEARANCES" by Jason Parent
"THE FRIENDLY MAN" by Thomas Vaughn
"OFFERINGS" by Joanna Koch

The
Lee  drunkonbookz
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
If u enjoyed these Halloween stories you're bound to enjoy the Bad Apples series with stories from Adam Light, Evans Light, Jason Parent, Gregor Xane, Edward Lorn, KPB, Craig Saunders & others. ...more
Red Lace Reviews
Halloween is a time where even those that normally dismiss horror bask in the shadows. Celebrated in this volume are thirteen stories, delving into the lives of the lost, the wicked, and the guilty, with a prominent theme of October. Including works by Charles Gramlich, Joanna Koch, Curtis M. Lawson, Chad Lutzke, Jason Parent, and others.

(WARNING: This review contains minor spoilers.)

I received this book in exchange for an honest review. I thank Erin Sweet Al-Mehairi and Corpus Press for giving
Irene
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, short-stories
Sometimes you can judge a book by it's cover. Look at this gorgeous work of art. This anthology contains more treats than tricks, so step away from the Halloween candy, and put this in your goody bag because horror can taste as sweet without packing on the pounds. Among my favorite treats were The Rye Mother by Curtis M. Lawson about a young boy who longs to experience a Halloween that is forbidden by his Jehovah's Witness upbringing.
Rusty Husk by Evans Light is a deliciously disturbing tale abo
Frank Errington
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review copy

Finding a Halloween anthology at this time of year is the equivalent of finding a fun-size Snickers in your trick-or-treat bag. Finding a really good Halloween anthology is like getting the full-size candy bar. Doorbells at Dusk is definitely the full-size treat.

Fourteen scary stories to keep you up late and possibly give you a nightmare or two.

A Plague of Monsters by Charles Gramlich - What if you forgot it was Halloween and all these monsters started showing up at your house? What w
Chantelle
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it
My favourites from this collection of Halloween themed stories include The Day of the Dead by Amber Fallon, The Friendly Man by Thomas Vaughn, and Many Carvings by Sean Eads and Joshua Viola.
Jim Coniglio
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you have been in a store lately, any store, you will see Halloween decoration and candy already lining the shelves. Halloween time is here already.

Just in time to help kick off the season comes DOORBELLS AT DUSK, an anthology of Halloween themed tales from an amazing collection of authors. The 14 tales within lead us down a darkened street, well aware of the monsters, supernatural and mortal, that wait just out of sight in the shadows.

Evans Light has pulled together a great collection of sto
Courtney Tetreault
This book was great !

This was an amazing horror anthology . Kept me on the edge of my seat. No stale horror tropes here .
Krystle Marie
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the perfect anthology for the Halloween Season. It is a bunch of short stories that take place on Halloween! I did not love all the stories, but majority of them were great! Josh Malerman's story was pretty creepy!!
The Scary Reviews
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Not bad. Half of the stories were damn good. The rest not so much.
« previous 1 3 next »
Horror Aficionados : Book Giveaway - Doorbells at Dusk 4 36 Jan 23, 2019 01:57AM

• Halloween Fiend
  • Midnight in the Graveyard
  • The Siren and the Specter
  • Welcome to the Show
  • The Pale White
Evans Light is a writer of horror and suspense, and is the author of Screamscapes: Tales of Terror , Arboreatum , Don’t Need No Water and more. He is editor of the anthology Doorbells at Dusk and the In Darkness, Delight series. He is co-creator of the Bad Apples Halloween anthology series and Dead Roses: Five Dark Tales of Twisted Love .
description