Start by marking “Just Be You” as Want to Read:
Just Be You

Just Be You

When Scott Cohen got word that he’d been nominated for a Grammy, he wondered if the universe was playing some cruel trick on him. Of all the songs he’d written, why did it have to be that song?

Over ten years had passed since he’d written the song and even more since Scott had become obsessed with Marshall Donavan, his brother’s best friend. It didn’t matter that Scott had
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 293 pages
Published June 15th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Just Be You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Be You

Start your review of Just Be You
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*It's started out good and then...*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

The story centers around Scott ‘Scottie’ Russell Cohen (26) and his brother's best friend, Marshall ‘Marsh’ Maxwell Donavan (30) who he hasn't seen in eight years. That all changes when both ends up in the cottage to hide without knowing the other one would be there. The rest is history. This book had so much potential. It was cute, funny and fast forward. But it was too fast forward. I was expecting a 'gay for you' romance novel, however what w
Susan
Jun 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm
For the first half this book ticked all my boxes. A cute insecure guy with a crush on his brother’s best friend with lots of pining. Then the two end up in a remote cabin together where said best friend turns out not to be so straight after all. Oh yeah, I was in heaven. But…. I could see the angst coming a mile away. And since I had 50% to go, I was wondering what the author would use to fill the rest of the book. So yes, we got unecessary angst. I was not happy with that.

Scott has had a crush
Line
Your gay, Harry!
All the sudden, there shined a shiny demon...

*ugh* This story wasn't bad, BUT when I notice (and get annoyed about) the language and spelling mistakes, I don't even want to think about what my clever, educated friends here at GR will think.
And I am not a native English speaker, but this was so SO cringeworthy at times.

And can we just... I hate it when authors use the expression: 'another thing coming', it's 'another THINK coming', but at that point I just accepted that this autho
JenMcJ
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
This appears to be a first all m/m book for this author. The writing is solid and the editing was ok but had issues. I liked this one and I'll commend the author for writing very good emotional connection on one side of the couple. I believed Marshall was in love but the effort with Scottie was unbalanced. I just didn't get the same warm fuzzy for Scottie even though he was the longest invested in his feelings. He just never seemed to grow past the original "crush".

Even though I did like it des
❤Bibi's Book Blog❤
***I was lucky enough to BETA read this amazing story, and received an advanced copy. I did love the book so much, that I purchased my own copy today***

Have you ever wondered what would happen if your dreams did come true? If the guy you’ve been in love with for years and years suddenly realises he wants you too, would it be the happiest day of your life? Or would you be too scared to believe in your luck? Would you dare to take the leap of faith?

description

Ever since he was a kid Scott have dreamed of his
Elizabeth
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it
This books has the potential to be very good. This is my opinion only but for me there were a few problems.
1. Editing - I'm not a person that freaks out about this and I usually overlook it especially if they don't throw me off. Here though they threw me off and stood out.
2. The unnecessary 2nd half of the book. The book was on it's way to being a winner at roughly 50% but took a straight nose dive into unnecessary bullshit.
3. Character flaws - Scottie has been in love with Marshall his entire
Notorious Book Tease
This book contains two of my favorite tropes…gay for you and brother’s best friend. Scott has had a crush on his brother’s best friend, Marshall, since high school. He has even written to him in a journal over the years. But there are a couple of things in the way, Marshall is engaged and he isn’t gay. Scott hasn’t seen Marshall for many years, keeping his distance so he doesn’t expose his feelings.

Scott and Marshall end up at a family cabin for the weekend, both looking to get away from life f
Nanna Sander

Cute and fluffy story about childhood friends who meet again a decade later and fall in love. At one point, I thought it was gearing up for The Big Misunderstanding, but luckily that quickly wound down again. The first half was near perfect, but it lost a little bit of its umpf along the way.

The story covered everything to create a well-rounded story- and timeline, but all encounters (and to some extend characters) lean more towards the shallow side of the shallow-depth spectrum, which
Alex
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, music
what a beautiful discovery! I discovered this book by chance but the plot struck me immediately and I bought it. Really loved this story!!!!
Bati
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is like strawberries with whipped cream, a bowl of beautiful juicy red cherries, lemonade on a summer day.
Sweet, charming and lovely story about the song with a very important message, that always worth just be yourself and nothing is impossible. Even Marshall Donovan and his dimples ;)
Bea
I would've rated this higher, but unfortunately there were a bit too many grammatical errors that I wasn't able to disregard them anymore. Initially it was just my finicky problems with punctuation, like misplaced or missing commas, that sort of thing. But eventually there were mistakes with the pronouns - like the classic "you're" and "your" mistakes - which I really hope would've been spotted during the editing and proofreading processes.

Also, I couldn't enjoy it as fully as I hoped because of
Joyfully Jay
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

I read a shorter, erotic book from this author recently and I was interested to see what she would do with a longer novel. The book focuses mostly on Scott and then Marshall as they work toward a relationship. Scott has always been enamored of Marshall ever since he was a kid. It’s part first crush and part hero worship, but even though Marshall is Scott’s brother’s best friend, they had their own friendship. It’s now years later, and while Scott is living his life
Ula'ndi Hart
I only read 100'ish pages of this book.

So NO rating. Cause that wouldn’t be fair.
I don’t want to DNF it either. I don’t think it deserves that either.

What I want to say is this book has it all. If you read the description, it makes you want to read it because who won’t like this angle?

You’ve got Scott, in love with his big brothers BFF since he was knee high, and he writes these letters to Marshall. He has journals full of them in fact. It immediately got my attention.

Then you’ve got Marshall
Shannon
I read the reviews of this one and almost didn't read it because of them. I'm so glad I decided to ignore them and decide for myself. I will agree the editing errors were plentiful and annoying and some of the things Scottie did were childish but overall I really enjoyed this. Scottie has been in love with his big brother's best friend, Marshall, since he was 12 years old and seeing his pain at the beginning actually made me cry a little bit. I agree with others about Scottie's behavior at the c ...more
Nicki - The Overflowing Bookcase
Scott has always had feelings for his older brother's best friend Marshall. But it is not until his song that he wrote about Marshall is used in a movie and winning a Grammy for that song does Scott realize the feelings never went away. He needs to let it go - as Marshall is engaged and is not gay. Getting away from reality and spending time at his family's cabin in the woods is supposed to be Scott's private time, but when Marshall shows up after his engagement break up, Scott gets more confuse ...more
Lisa Cullinan
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-read, 2018
Loved this book!

What a pleasant surprise! I’m saying that because I decided to randomly pick a book from my almost 800 + unread books on my iPad’s kindle app.

Scottie, who has secretly been in love with his older brother’s best friend since he was a kid, knows it was all for naught considering Marshall is straight.
Fast forward twelve years—Scottie and Marshall as well as Scottie’s older brother, Abe, are all successful in their own right. Sometimes success comes with a price though. The two of t
Earlyn
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Marshall and Scott

What a well written romance.
This is a friends to lovers story.
Scott has always loved Marshall. The day Marshall saved him from a bully cemented that love. Fast forward right years, later because of circumstances they ended up in the cabin together.
This gave them time 're ignited their attraction.
Lovely sweet summer reading.
Em
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm

I ended up skimming through big chunks of this. I found the characters to be very boring and bland, making me feel a sort of disconnect to the story itself. The writing style was a bit off putting as well.
thebloggerandthegeek
I was really liking this one but the overdramatic aspect of the book was a bit of a let down for me.
Michaela
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
4,5* sooo sweet
BookNerd
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Rounding up to 2.5 because of the first half, the last 50% was just okay for me.
Rachel
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it
3 and a half *s
The story was okay but the editing really let it down. Missed words and words spelt wrong
Trish
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I really thought I would love this.. but sadly enough the way Scottie pulled back so much was a huge turn off. If you have loved and trusted someone that long then why when finally things were happening would you be willing to throw it all away. And I never understood why Marshal kept saying sorry when he really didn't do anything to be sorry for. This just didn't work for me.
Yvonne
Great sounding blurb, but a trifle overly manufactured in the execution. Better the second time, a cosy read.
Amy Chichi Hsiao
Jul 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
After reading the whole book, I had to give it one star instead, as the second half of the book is total waste of time with meaningless plots and repetitive lines.

(view spoiler)

Also, the character building, despite a nice start, w
Jessica Wannamaker
Just Be You- is a fantastic title for this story. I have the great pleasure to read this. **arc received by author for my honest opinion**

This story is a coming out and discovering yourself, acceptance and reaching out for what you need. It’s about finding love, even if it challenges everything you know.

This coming out story arrives in a better time when people are more accepting, and a great tribute to the challenges most face especially coming out and wanting your same sex relationship and o
Mark Wade
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Some people say romance readers are easy to please. I look at my own reviews and tend to think they're overly picky. Then I see so many rave reviews on something like this and understand what people are talking about.

This book is the definition of mediocrity. It reads like the author had the premise (the old trope: crush on straight friend who turns out to be secretly gay) and then just freewrote. That's not how novels work. Romances have beats that must be hit. Novels in general have well-defin
Amy (Lost in a Good Book)
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book may not be perfect in terms of writing or characters, nor may it be perfect plot wise, but it is fun and has a happy ending while still making you invested in the characters and their journeys.

I loved Scottie, he was adorable without being naïve, and he knows who he is and what he wants. I felt Marshall lost some of himself midway, his character becomes more singularly focused and less complex than he presents at the start but it didn’t affect my enjoyment. The focus is mainly on these
Melanie Rawlinson
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awwwww, this was such a sweet read!
Scott had a crush (put mildly) on his big brother’s best friend, Marshall, in high school, but hasn’t seen him since graduation. He’s made a successful life for himself as a musician and songwriter in LA, on the other side of the US to his hometown. His brother and Marshall have stayed closer to home, running a firm in New York with their own success story. Due to an….interesting….set of events (involving two separate ‘scandals’), Marshall and Scott both find t
This is tagged as a GFY. Which is fine except, I personally, have a hard time putting it in this category due to the simple fact .... mentioning of past thoughts or feelings towards the same gender. Even if theres no prior action taken. Again, maybe thats just me. I've read other books with same circumstances, though it does nothing to deter me from liking it or not. I just don't connect the 2.

Speaking of which, I loved this book honestly. I know I only gave 4 stars. For me, that's high/top. I r
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Tangled Up In You
  • The Boyfriend Game (#boyfriendsbybLoved, #1)
  • Hudson's Luck (Forever Wilde #4)
  • The Substitute
  • Play it by Ear (Replay, #2)
  • Dumped
  • Shared Custody
  • Something About You (Saint and Lucky, #1)
  • Risk Taker (Mixed Messages, #3)
  • Trick Play (Fake Boyfriend, #2)
  • Unwritten Law (Steele Brothers #1)
  • Summer Secret (Rose Falls #5)
  • Player
  • Passing Stranger
  • Love Me Louder
  • Face the Music (Replay #1)
  • Galaxies and Oceans