Start by marking “The Duchess and Guy: A Rescue-to-Royalty Puppy Love Story” as Want to Read:
The Duchess and Guy: A Rescue-to-Royalty Puppy Love Story

The Duchess and Guy: A Rescue-to-Royalty Puppy Love Story

A heartwarming tale about a beagle and the Duchess who adopted him, this picture book is inspired by the true story of Meghan Markle and her rescue dog, Guy. When he was a pup, Guy was just like any dog in the shelter; he liked to bark and follow his nose, and dreamed of a forever home above all things. But when Guy met Meghan, he had no idea he was about to star in his ow ...more
Published January 8th 2019 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about The Duchess and Guy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Duchess and Guy

Start your review of The Duchess and Guy: A Rescue-to-Royalty Puppy Love Story
Candice
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A good book about a good doggo.
Abigail
Based upon the real-life story of Guy, a rescue beagle owned by the actress Meghan Markle, this picture-book from American author Nancy Furstinger and Spanish illustrator Julia Bereciartu imagines the process whereby the pooch makes himself at home with the British royal family, after Ms. Markle meets and eventually marries Prince Harry. Despite some initial mishaps, Guy eventually finds his place, much like his human, and all ends well...

Although I can't deny that there are some winsome element
Tegan
Adorable, adorable. I love Meghan and Guy. Yay for rescues! The illustrations were wonderful. I loved the inclusion of all the other pets, too.
Shyla Colt
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story was adorable! I read it to my kids and enjoyed it so much I had to get myself a copy. I loved the story of a dog who needed the home, and the journey they took to the palace and into the royal family. It had everyone in it, and told an excellent story about trying too hard to fit in and how being yourself is always the best way to go. Adorable and highly recommended!
Lacy
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I picked up The Duchess and Guy for Meghan Markle but honestly, Guy was the real star! 🐶🌟

I also gotta say, this may be the first time I've cried over a Children's picture book and I immediately have to add it to my collection. 📚💙
Paula
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute story about Guy, a rescue dog turned Royal. I love the information at the end of the book about pet adoption.
Ms. B
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
If you love all the things related to England's royal family and love dogs, this is the book for you.
Lisa D
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute book about a the rescue dog that the new royals have
Susanna
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This engaging book presents a child-friendly version of a real world event - Meghan Markle marrying Prince Harry and moving to Buckingham Palace with her adopted beagle, Guy. It's not easy for a little beagle to know how to behave among royalty! The story, told with humor and love, allows children to see that a real duchess chose to adopt her dog from a shelter, which will hopefully validate that option for them should they ever be considering getting a pet. In addition, this wonderful book show ...more
Katherine
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Freakin’ adorable. I love the adoption information included in the back.
Sam Chamblin
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is adorable Declan picked it. The book is about Princess Meghan and her dog guy. The story tells of their adventures in England. Couldn’t be the proceeds going to help other dogs find forever homes.
Kayli
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Duchess and Guy: A Rescue-to-Royalty Puppy Love Story by Nancy Furstinger is such a light, wonderful read for children and adults alike. Honestly, how could I pass this book by? It has Prince Harry and a puppy!Early on we are introduced to Guy, our dashing and tail-wagging main character, who has always longed for a forever home as he sits the shelter. Just when he nearly loses hope he meets Megan (Markle), who is fun and has another doggy friend named Bogart. The three love being together a ...more
Laura Mossa
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Special thanks to author Nancy Furstinger for sharing a copy of The Duchess and Guy with Beagles and Books. It recently published in January 2019.

It's pretty clear that I love dogs and books, but when the book is about a rescue beagle, it is even better. And the fact that the beagle was rescued by a future Duchess, well, it is the absolutely best!
Although I know Guy has a happy ending, my heart still hurt when I read Furstinger's poignant first words and Julia Bereciartu's gorgeous yet forlourn
Kathryn (Nine Pages)
Review first published on my blog, Nine Pages .

There really are so many reasons to celebrate this marriage—and I do truly hope that it is a loving and fulfilling and lasting marriage for the two of them. I’m not immune to the excitement around this union that is shaking up the highest echelons of British monarchy. But this book focuses on the union from the point of view of Guy, the rescue beagle adopted by Meghan Mountbatten-Windsor, née Markle, now Duchess of Sussex, while she was living in
Shaye Miller
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was so excited to win this book from the giveaway offered at Laura Mossa’s Beagles and Books literacy blog. This is the precious story about a beagle named Guy and his adoption by Meghan Markle. We witness Guy’s transformation as he moves to Buckingham Palace and meets Queen Elizabeth. But all of this is possible only because he was given a second chance at life through a dog rescue. In the back matter, we learn that Guy was moved to several locations and that he was even diagnosed with heart ...more
Rebecca
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Spotted in Costco catalog and read since there were no reviews. Very cute illustrations by Julia Bereciartu. Meghan Markle adopts a beagle, Guy, and when she moves to England to be with Prince Harry, Guy goes along and must adjust to palace life. The plot lost me in a couple spots (is the main point finding his place in a new life? I think so). If you, too, trip on the word "dorgis," let me save you that Google and note that this is not a misspelling (as I first thought, lol) but a dachshund/cor ...more
Laura Salas
A true story with a beagle hero? Yes, please! While I generally couldn't care less about royal family doings, I adored this story of Guy, Meghan Markle's rescue beagle who ended up as canine royalty in England. Guy's enthusiasm and insecurity reminded me so much of Captain Jack Sparrow (Jackie), our rescue beagle who stole our hearts. In fact, the expression that illustrator Julia Bereciartu gave Guy in the opening spread is like a flashback to when we first saw Jackie at the Humane Society.

The
Mandy
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Childrens picture book. This book tells the story of Guy, a shelter dog who was adopted by Meghan Markle and made the move to England with her when she married Prince Harry. It is a rags to riches tale with the focus on the dog. I agree with another reviewer that this book would have been better if somehow Meghan Markle was consulted, or if actual photos of Guy at the royal palace were able to be included. Cute enough, but there are other stories that do more justice to the adopt-a-pet cause.
Alida
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ok, I used to think that a monarchy and the royals were relics from the past. Then the 2016 elections happened and I've recently re-evaluated the institution. Also, I'm just gonna have to admit that I like Meghan (there, I've said it).

Now, a book about a rescue, who is a dog, who has a brother called Bogart and whose publisher donated proceeds to a COUNTY shelter? This is a 99.9999999% PERFECT book. Thank you very much Ms. Nancy.
Mahin
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This picture book is about the rescue dog adopted by Meghan Markle. The illustration is top notch and it was delightful to see the Queen, George, Charlotte, and the other royals depicted in this book. The proceeds of this book go to supporting animal rescue charities, so I’d recommend buying it for a Meghan fan you know.
Tammy McIntyre
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
While the true story behind this book is lovely, it lacked an actual story, which is what we were hoping for in this children’s book. The illustrations were sweet and I did like the photographs at the end of the pup.
M.L.D.
Jan 22, 2020 rated it liked it
A little weird to read this, since it ends on a positive wish: that Guy the Dog and Megan the Duchess will fit in their new home and be happy there. Of course, they're now both in Canada, having discovered that trying to fit in is quite painful.
Syntha Green
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A sweet story of pet adoption
Stasia
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Aww. And how awesome that there is now a 'royal' beagle!!!
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
A charming book that imagines how Guy found his place in the royal family.
Beth
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A delightful story based on Meghan Markle and her rescue Beagle Guy. Cute illustrations depicting Guy's move to England and the royal palace. Recommended.
Valencia
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a very cute story and the illustrations were adorable. I really enjoyed it and I am sure others will like it with all the sweet storyline.
Karol
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun Royal read about adopting a dog and a forever home.
Lauren
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm not crying, you're crying.

This book is beautiful. I love "learning" about Megan's royal pup.

• Tiny T. Rex and the Impossible Hug
  • Love, Z
  • I Need A Hug
  • We Are Water Protectors
  • Princess Puffybottom . . . and Darryl
  • Say Something
  • My Heart
  • Unicorn Day
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • Perfect