Start by marking “The Summer We Lost Her” as Want to Read:
The Summer We Lost Her

The Summer We Lost Her

It’s been a busy—and expensive—few years for Matt and Elise Sorenson and their young daughter Gracie, whom they affectionately call Little Green. Matt, a Manhattan lawyer, has just been offered a partnership, and Elise’s equestrian ambitions as a competitive dressage rider may finally vault her into the Olympics. But her long absences from home and endless hours of trainin ...more
Published June 4th 2019 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about The Summer We Lost Her, please sign up.
Abby Yes, title was Little Green for the Canadian edition; title was changed in US.

Start your review of The Summer We Lost Her
Carrie
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Summer We Lost Her by Tish Cohen is mostly a domestic drama story with the couple in question dealing with their marital issues. However, later on in the story there is a bit of a mystery added to it when their disabled daughter goes missing at a bus stop.

Matt and Elise Sorenson are the epitome of opposites attracting and the relationship working for them. Matt is an attorney in Manhattan who is on the verge of partnership with his firm while Elise is an equestrian who is a competitive dress
Quirkyreader
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I won this a a goodreads giveaway.

I enjoyed the way the story was written and the descriptions of Lake Placid, New York.

This story was a family drama with elements of thrillers as well as a bit of a mystery. It has a slow burn to it. So don’t give up on the story. Be patient and read to the ending.

It’s a good weekend read especially when the weather isn’t so great outside.

Heather
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️💫This was excellent! This is the type of book I probably would have read in a day if other things like work and kids and life didn’t have to get in the way! Right now, I’m late for work as I just wanted to see how the book ended! I love stories where you really feel connected to the characters and find yourself cheering for them and just wanting everything to work out. I will definitely read more from this author.
mindful.librarian ☀️
(free review copy) This book was MADE for book club discussions! Especially book clubs made up of middle-aged parents :-) A stellar domestic drama set in Lake Placid, NY, THE SUMMER WE LOST HER is atmospheric, taut, and rife with “What would I have done/felt?” opportunities. I raced through this story and highly recommend it for fans of Jodi Picoult and Lisa Genova.
Tish
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I enjoyed this domestic drama mystery. We see the hardships of balancing work, family, and passions. Then Matt and Elise's only child Gracie is kidnapped and we see the additional strain that puts on their life and relationship as they try to cope with that trauma while also trying to find their daughter. One thing I liked about this book is that it's not like some recent bestsellers which seem to be all about people who might look good on the outside but are rotten on the inside. In this story, ...more
Nnenna
May 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Thank you to Gallery Books for giving me a free copy of this book for review!

Sadly, this book didn't quite deliver for me. It's a bummer too, because I was intrigued by the premise and hoped that it would be a solid summer read.

Matt and Elise head upstate to sell Matt's grandfather's old cabin on the lake. While they're away, Elise and Matt's lives are turned upside down when their daughter, Gracie, is taken. Their marriage was already strained due to Elise's frequent absences as she works as a
Jaksen
Aug 29, 2019 added it
Shelves: giveaways
I won this book but no, I cannot rate it - do ratings come in negative numbers? A tedious, mind-numbing read about a man and a woman who are married with a child who is handicapped and how he is the caretaker parent and she is a professional dressage rider and I know somewhere in there bad things happen to either her or their child but this book just goes on and on and on...

Every noun must have an adjective and the sentences go on and on, and there's just too much info-dumping about who is who a
Phyllis Krall
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Elise andMatt Sorenson are struggling to make their marriage work since Elise’s competitive equestrian training keeps her away from home a lot. Matt , a lawyer, is the one that their daughter Gracie can depend on, while her mother pursues her dreams to be in the Olympics.

The Sorenson’s agree to sell Matt’s grandfather’s cabin in the Adirondack’s, and go there to spend some quality family time. While they are there, Gracie suddenly disappears and the entire community searches for her. Elise blame
Paul Pessolano
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
“The Summer We Lost Her” by Tish Cohen, published by Scout Press.

Category - Mystery/Thriller Publication Date – June 04, 2019.

Elise Sorenson seems destined for the Olympics in Equestrian Dressage. The travel and time away from home has been a hardship for her husband, Matt, and young daughter, Gracie. This is especially difficult since Gracie has a handicap due to an accident caused by a horse while Elise was pregnant.

In an effort to pay for all the bills Matt has decided to sell his father’s su
JANELLE || WHATSHESEEES
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Big thanks to Gallery Books for my free copy of The Summer We Lost Her by Tish Cohen (advanced readers copy)

When getting this in the mail I immediately dived into it because for one the cover is beautiful and suddenly made me hugely intrigued on why lies beyond that house on the lake...

With that said, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was a very interesting dynamic between Matt Sorensen, his wife Elise, their Daughter Gracie all with the legacy his Grandfather Nate left behind. This was not onl
Susan
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. It was not a fast paced thriller but more like an introspective character study on marriage, childhood, and painful pasts. The setting was absolutely gorgeous and it made me want to go there. I wouldn’t say the ending was completely satisfying but i suppose it was more realistic.

I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Apr 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
I got to about 50% in this book, hoping something would happen to keep me reading...and I never got there.
Robin Reynolds
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A new to me author, I picked up this book while browsing the shelves at my local library. It's very engrossing, sucking me in quickly. The back cover copy says that while in the Adirondacks packing up a family cabin to sell, Matt and Elise's daughter Gracie “disappears without a trace”. So I thought that would be the book. It would be about this couple dealing with their young daughter's disappearance. Except Gracie didn't actually disappear until about halfway through the book. Until then, the ...more
Linda (un)Conventional Bookworms
*I received a free copy of The Summer We Lost Her from Gallery Books via Edelweiss. This has in no way influenced my review which is honest and unbiased.*

A mystery with a slow pace, a hint of nostalgia, and a troubled marriage. When Gracie disappears, all the differences between Matt and Elise come to the surface.
Well written, the slow pace worked well both for the mystery and for the overall story. Between flashbacks and the present, I got to know the characters well, and understood where they
Audrey  Adamson Stars in Her Eye
The Summer We Lost Her promises emotional investment but instead delivers unlikeable characters without any depth.
Matt and Elise Sorenson head to the Adirondacks to sell a family home. This will be their first time for quality time in quite a while. Elise is competing in dressage with her eyes on Rio Olympics. Matt is a lawyer who mainly raises their daughter while Elise is off training and competing. Elise decides without Matt that their daughter will attend day came while they work on the hous
Donna Hines
Their only daughter disappears. Matt the father and husband is enamored by a beauty queen next door. Elise the wife is trying her best to focus on her equestrian rides.
Now just one problem where is GRACIE?
Can their love survive?
Will the Sorenson family ever be the same?
What will happen to their past and their future together?
The Summer We Lost was a page turner.
Thank you to Tish and her publisher for both the ARC copy and the giveaway received through Goodreads.
A must read for Summer Fun!
Barb Martin
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Elise has Olympic dreams. Her husband, Matt, is the primary caregiver of their daughter, Gracie. When Gracie goes missing, we find out just how big of an ass Matt is.

The first half of this book moves pretty slowly. Gracie doesn't even go missing until halfway through. Along the way, we learn about how childhood circumstances and past experiences . . . and mistakes . . . shaped Elise and Matt.

I liked the book, but I really wanted to smack Matt upside the head. He played the long-suffering parent
Karen Sokoloff
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book for so many reasons. Besides the story feeling so truthful, raw and personal, I had the good fortune to meet the author in person and then coincidentally read the book while on vacation on Saranac Lake! It added even more to the atmospheric feel.
How much can a marriage take? What is unforgivable? What tears us apart but brings us back together and can old loves replace or comfort better than current lives? Tish handles all of this with grace, honesty and leaves you thinking. C
Denise
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars for Little Green, a book about passions versus family. I enjoyed reading it but had to keep at it. The endings to the varies storylines ended very quickly. The characters were well developed but for me, unfortunately I did not relate to them. I did enjoy how the author gave this novel its title.

“Because everyone has the potential to be excellent at something, you need to find your excellence and then go for it.”
Kristen
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Elise and Matt Sorenson, along with their daughter Gracie, are traveling to the Adirondacks to prepare Matt's grandfathers cabin to be put up for sale. Elise is a dressage rider who's hoping to make the Olympics and is always gone competing. Matt is a lawyer who is also the main caregiver of the daughter who has cerebral palsy because of Elise trying to mount her horse while pregnant. Their marriage is struggling because of all of this. Matt arrives at the cabin with Gracie to find out his high ...more
Christina Kline
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How much stress can a marriage take? Tish Cohen answers this question with skill and artistry, capturing subtle shifts in mood and feeling as she escalates the pressure on her characters. They’re forced to face their own foibles and weaknesses as well as each other’s as they confront the mystery at the heart of this story. Atmospheric and compulsively readable.
Ashley Oxford
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-my-bookshelf
4.25 out of 5 stars
The Summer We Lost Her is an atmospheric marital drama story. I had to deduct from 5 stars because I found the beginning very slow. I realized at about page 130 that the first section completely set the atmosphere and vibe of the book but I was close to setting the book down and not continuing. I am very happy I decided to continue as I really enjoyed the second half of the book!

This is not my typical genre of book but it makes me want to dive into more domestic dramas!

Since T
Bookish Anki
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read, 4-stars
Thank you Gallery Books for sending me this free copy.

I loved The Summer We Lost Her, it totally got me hooked; its so much more than the daughter’s disappearance. Though it’s a fiction, the story seems so real, with all the issues the couple is dealing. Some of which is work life balance & communicating enough with each other.

Elise is a competitive dressage rider aiming for Olympics which doesn’t give her much time to spend with her family & Matt (her husband) takes care of their daughter Gra
Tiffany
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book definitely was a difficult read as a mother, but that didn't keep me from enjoying it. The first quarter of the book is a slow burn, but shortly after Grace's abduction I had a hard time putting it down. While aspects of this book left me cringing, I found it completely enjoyable. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a domestic drama with a mystery thrown in.

What I loved about this book:

~This book has multiple talking points that would make it an amazing book club pick
Heidi
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: family, new_york
Matt and Elise take their daughter, Gracie, to Lake Placid, NY to get the family cabin ready to sell. What could have been a couple of weeks of great (and necessary) bonding soon takes a turn when Matt’s first love is living next door, Elise has a career opportunity she shouldn’t turn down and animals have inhabited the cabin. Then, on Father’s Day, Gracie disappears.
Anne Logan
Jan 27, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

I think I’m alone in the negative opinion I have of the book Little Green by Tish Cohen. Through a quick google search of other reviews of it, most people really enjoyed it. And it’s not that I hated it, not at all, but the marriage at the heart of the novel didn’t ring true for me and I disliked most of the characters so I don’t think I can recommend it to my followers. That being said, I’ll lay out my reasoning below and you can make your own decision.

Matt and Elise are from different backgrou
Ashley
Jan 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This was more of a 3.5 stars for me than 3 stars. It had a slow start at the beginning but really picked up halfway through and kept me wanting to read more. Elise as a main character was very relate able and I felt most of the novel agreeing with her and then towards the end feeling bad for her. Matt on the other hand was just very hard to connect with and very much a douche for all of the story.

Gracie was also a good character though at times I read her younger than what she actually was but t
Intellectual Magpie
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Overall I rate this a 4 star read. Went through it rather quickly. It would have gotten a better rating with less flashbacks... sadly sometimes you can do too much of a good thing. More of a drama then a fast paced mystery as you travel along with a couple and how they cope with their past through the stressful events they are dealing with when one day their only daughter goes missing. I did feel the final climatic ending was rushed when it came to the marriage and relationship... I enjoyed the ...more
Abby
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A compelling portrait of the give and take in a marriage, set in a seemingly idyllic vacation paradise that masks darker elements below. As a horse girl, I was intrigued by Elise's background as an elite dressage rider--but this isn't a "horse book," it's a relationship book. It's also not a thriller or a procedural--pick this up if you're a fan of Anna Quindlen, Sue Miller, etc.
Jessica Gadd (love_my_dane_dolly_)
What a great and unique novel! So well written and kept me engaged throughout. It was happy, sad, touching, and intense all at the same time. Definitely recommend it!

• The Last Resort
  • This Is Home
  • We Are All Good People Here
  • Behind Every Lie
  • The Third Daughter
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."
Anais Nin quote from Oprah's website inspired Tish Cohen to write her first adult novel.

Tish Cohen is the author of TOWN HOUSE, a 2008 finalist for the Commonwealth Writers’ Prize – Best First Book Award (Canada and Caribbean region), and in development as a feature film with Fox 2000. Ridl