Start by marking “The Size of the Truth (Sam Abernathy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Size of the Truth (Sam Abernathy, #1)

The Size of the Truth

(Sam Abernathy #1)

A boy who spent three days trapped in a well tries to overcome his PTSD and claustrophobia so he can fulfill his dream of becoming a famous chef in this charming novel that is Andrew Smith’s first foray into middle grade storytelling.

When he was four years old, Sam Abernathy was trapped at the bottom of a well for three days, where he was teased by a smart-aleck armadillo
Expected publication: March 26th 2019 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

Billie
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of the great advantages of being a long-time bookseller is that sometimes you get really early peeks at books you're looking forward to. The downside is that you can't really talk about them except to say "Yup. I read that." This is one of those.

EDIT 07/30/2018:

Official ARCs are out in the world, so I can actually talk about this a bit now. And I'm going to be lazy and pretty much just share whole cloth what I sent to Andrew Smith and the good folks at Simon & Schuster after I'd read it:
Adam
Jul 01, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
OH MY GOD

Ms. Yingling
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
E ARC provided by Edelweiss Plus

Sam has some unusual characteristics. He's small for his age, especially since his parents had him moved ahead to 8th grade at the beginning of 6th.; His father seems to think he will go to MIT and be a famous scientist, but Sam just wants to cook. His family runs Lily Putt, a putt putt golf course, where he and his father often hand out wearing kilts, not usual garb for Texas. He was also "the boy in the well" and the community has not forgotten that when he was
Samantha (WLABB)
It was a delight getting to know more about Sam Abernathy, who I met in Stand-Off. Smith touches on a bunch of issues, which affect many young people, but what I loved was seeing Sam trying to exercise his autonomy and be true to himself. The story arc with James Jenkins was another favorite.

Full review to follow.

*ARC provided in exchange for an honest review.

BLOG | INSTAGRAM |TWITTER | BLOGLOVIN | FRIEND ME ON GOODREADS
Melissa
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Weird and wonderful.
Kristen
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edelweiss+ provided me a DRC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I love everything Andrew Smith...his hilarious, hard-hitting realistic fiction and his quirky, crazy, not-for-everyone science fiction. This is his first middle grade offering, and it's kind of a mix of the two.

The story follows Sam Abernathy (yes...THAT Sam Abernathy...from Stand-Off) as he skips two grades, with overbearing parents, struggles with claustrophobia, and tries to escape his "The Boy in the Well" reputation
B220
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was just recently gifted an ARC of The Size of the Truth from Andrew Smith himself! I read it over the last couple days and I am thrilled to get some of Sam Abernathy's backstory! Fans of Andrew Smith know Sam from his YA book Winger and this book, intended for middle grade audiences is everything you would expect from an Andrew Smith book (minus the curses, though you will find yourself substituting your own curse words every time Sam says/thinks "Excuse me"-which makes the book even more fun ...more
mindy
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so good. I haven’t heard a middle grade title in a while, and this was just perfect. The story is about Sam, who fell down a well when he was 4. That should be the worst thing that happens to him, right? Nah. He still has middle school.

The voices of the kids in this book are perfect. Sam is so precious. James Jenkins the not-so-bully is so perfectly described. Bartleby the unicorn armadillo might be the best armadillo voice I have ever read.

I haven’t read any other books by Andre
Jon
Dec 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll gladly pick up anything with Andrew Smith's name on it, and Smith's first foray into middle-grade fiction was no exception. Learning about Sam Abernathy's backstory made for a good read, though I wish some parts of the story weren't so speculative. Also, I'd love to read more about James Jenkins. An enjoyable read, but it didn't pack as big of a punch as some of Smith's other works.
Anne Martin
Feb 14, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Why is this maybe-maybe not book listed here? No one knows if it even exists! Amazon certainly does not know more than I do. And though I am sure Andrew Smith will write more books, what do you get from a third part of Winger, which could be about middle-school, or a spin-off, or about another character.
And so far -not surprising as we know nothing- the book does not have a title, nor a tilt. So it is untitlted. Copied from the top of this page...
No comments.
The Bookish Austin
I loved this story!

Here's a link to my review: https://thebookishaustin.tumblr.com/p...

Tonja Drecker
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With a interesting mix between humor, imagination, and the harshness of fitting in, this is a read to surprise in so many ways.

Sam is sort of stuck in life, much in the same way he was once stuck in a well...but different too. His parents have everything planned out for him; he's going to MIT. They've even made sure he took the tests to skip from the 6th grade to the 8th. Sam, however, loves to cook and is really good at it. Someday, he wants to become a great chef, and that doesn't include the
Nannette Demmler
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
ARC provided by Simon and Schuster via NetGalley for an honest review.
I have only read a one or two of Andrew Smith’s YA books, which I found to be kind of dark and quirky. I wasn’t sure how his writing style would work for a middle grade novel, but he manages it quite well. While this certainly is not a light read, it isn’t dark either. There is still some quirky characters and an interestingly weird plot, but I think that it will appeal to many middle grade readers.

Sam Abernathy narrates the
Tory
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, middle-years
(Excuse me.) I got SO TIRED of those (excuse me) dumb "excuse me"s. Um, I don't know this character from anything else (this was my first Andrew Smith book) so I wasn't previously invested in the story -- but dang, a lot of it baffled me. I DID laugh out loud at the depiction of two dudes in kilts and nothing else foraging in the Texas wilderness -- except that whole principle of the father-son bonding that was needlessly involved and intense totally felt implausible, especially for how much the ...more
Kim
Andrew Smith’s first middle grade/ middle school book is a delight. Long-time fans will enjoy getting the backstory on Sam Abernathy, whom we first met as Ryan Dean’s roommate in Stand-Off. Sam is dealing with a lot, not the least of which is navigating 8th grade as an 11-year-old and living with a dad who won’t hear what Sam really wants to do with his life. But unexpected friendships (including a talking armadillo) might just get him through. Not as dark as his novels for older readers, but he ...more
Andrew
The comical absurdity doesn't stop in Andrew Smith's first middle grade novel. Sam Abernathy's story switches between two timelines-- his eighth grade year (as an eleven year old who has skipped two grades) and the time he fell down a well at age four, reluctantly befriending a snarky armadillo named Bartleby that makes dad jokes... But that's not the only unlikely friendship you will uncover. Full of his signature humor and realistic understanding of being the awkward preteen, The Size of the T ...more
Becca Brown
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not expect this book to be as good as it was! It led us through an amazing journey of Sam Abernathy, a preteen who deals with PTSD. This contains an unlikely friendship, discovery, and tough choices. It was such a quick, but amazing read! Once I started, I could not put the book down! I think many young adult readers will enjoy this book.
Jessica
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mg, read-in-2018
I have loved Winger since the moment I read it. This middle grade novel that tells the story of Sam Abernathy, Ryan Dean's roommate in Stand Off. It is of course hilarious and surprisingly touching. If you love Andrew Smith, I think you will love this.
Beth
Remember Sam Abernathy from STAND OFF? Yep. THE SIZE OF THE TRUTH is about THAT Sam Abernathy. And it's as wonderful and lovable and endearing as you would expect it to be. Longer review to come closer to publication date.
Steve Mccormick
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unicorns and Armadillos. I love Sam Abernathy!
Christine Stamper
Aug 30, 2017
Czari
Apr 17, 2018
What? 1 36 Jan 22, 2016 11:51AM
  • Bid My Soul Farewell (Give the Dark My Love, #2)
  • Stolen Secrets
  • When My Sister Started Kissing
  • Feels (Impostors, #2)
  • Death and Douglas
  • Untitled (Famous in Love, #3)
  • Barely Missing Everything
  • Untitled (The Fine Art of Pretending #3)
  • Untitled (Flirting in Italian, #3)
  • Untitled (Nightshade Legacy #2; Nightshade World #8)
  • Untitled (The Gilded Wolves, #2)
  • Someone like You (Someone like You, #1)
  • A Deadly Little Game (Shadow Cove)
  • Roughing (Crossing the Line, #3)
  • The Domina (Ascension, #5)
  • Incineration: A Holiday Story (Explosive 2.5)
  • Of Darkness and Demons (The Minaldi Legacy, #2)
  • Dig
Andrew Smith is the author of Winger , The Marbury Lens , Passenger , Ghost Medicine , Stick , and In the Path of Falling Objects . Grasshopper Jungle is coming from Dutton/Penguin on February 11, 2014.