Start by marking “Tell Your Children: The Truth About Marijuana, Mental Illness, and Violence” as Want to Read:
Tell Your Children: The Truth About Marijuana, Mental Illness, and Violence

Tell Your Children: The Truth About Marijuana, Mental Illness, and Violence

An eye-opening report from an award-winning author and former New York Times reporter reveals the link between teenage marijuana use and mental illness, and a hidden epidemic of violence caused by the drug—facts the media have ignored as the United States rushes to legalize cannabis.

Recreational marijuana is now legal in nine states. Almost all Americans believe the drug s
Published January 8th 2019 by Free Press

To ask other readers questions about Tell Your Children, please sign up.
Jeff I have the same question. Berenson's details of Soros' funding of various marijuana issues is interesting. The big $$$ behind these legalization movem…moreI have the same question. Berenson's details of Soros' funding of various marijuana issues is interesting. The big $$$ behind these legalization movements are interesting, and yet the motivations behind those $$$ are unclear. It's not clear, for instance, how being able to smoke pot makes our society more open, democratic, and civil, which is what Soros claims to be interested in.(less)

Start your review of Tell Your Children: The Truth About Marijuana, Mental Illness, and Violence
Linda McGee
Jan 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
I read this book so you dont have to.

This is seriously a book for the garbage pile. I am a physician and had been following the media coverage of Alex Berenson and his book. I wanted to read the whole book because I was truly shocked that claims that are so obviously illogical and completely lacking in scientific rigor could possibly be presented in earnest. But apparently Mr. Berenson is trying to pass this word salad off as legitimate work. Please, do not be fooled, as it is really, really poo
Elizabeth
Dec 17, 2018 marked it as maybe-to-read
So I haven't read this book, but I'm not gonna lie, I'm laughing a little bit already about it's content. I really thought in 2018, we were passed all the bullshit about why marijuana should still be illegal. It doesn't fucking cause psychosis. If a dude who used THC went psychotic and killed his wife - he was already going to go psychotic and kill his wife. The THC had nothing to do with it. Lord have mercy.

Update 2/3/19 - Because I am getting way more comments than I expected about my lack of
Gina
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
So glad I read this book. The pro-legalization side of this issue has seemed to promise overly much: cures for a dizzying array of complex illnesses, lower crime rates, and a boost to the economy...while failing to offer any cautionary language. That has made me dubious straight away....
Mr. Berenson’s book makes a reasonable case for more study before we commit as a nation to legalize marijuana. If the studies prove out, then we all win. However, I think there are enough hints that all is not as
David Doty
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are a parent, educator, physician, psychologist, therapist, or substance abuse counselor, and only have time to read one book this year, read this one. Thoroughly researched, this powerful new book by Alex Berenson should be mandatory reading for every person concerned about the health and safety of our children and families.

Painstakingly refuting the false narrative that has been pushed for years by pro-marijuana advocates that pot is medicine, pot does not kill people, pot does no harm,
Jon
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
If Alex Berenson’s contention is correct—that marijuana use can cause psychosis and violence—it should be a huge part of the ongoing conversation surrounding legalization of marijuana. Unfortunately, I do not think this book is the vehicle by which that will happen for three principal reasons.

First, Berenson cites a mountain of data to support his conclusions, ranging from historical surveys to journal articles to his own research. Yet for the enterprising reader who wants to dig further, Berens
Cory Briggs
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book should be read by everyone. There is an incredible amount of false information out there about marijuana. The one concern I had was the lack of a traditional bibliography. Maybe it's just me, so bear with me. Other reviewers complained that he presented more correlation than causation. If that is true, and I am not saying it is, then the correlation is overwhelming and you would either be biased or stupid to ignore it. To get to the main premise: This book talks about the relationship ...more
Sally
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Alex Berenson,
Thank you for your book! We Victims of Marijuana have tried and tried to be heard above the din of the legal liars about safety of pot. They find it easy to silence us. But now you are being heard! We can't thank you enough.
Marijuana Victims Alliance mvaa.info
Amelia Gianetta
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m skeptical to write what I honestly think of this book. It profoundly changed my opinion on this drug.

One that I had used in the past in different forms. It has caused me both pleasure and panic on different occasians.

I’ve used it as an indicator for environmental health (cannabis industry) and have researched and taken interest in its impacts to our environment. The plants unique needs and its history has always fascinated me.

This book is right. Looking back on my own experiences and a li
Wenzel Roessler
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have read so much fiction lately that I was afraid reading a non-fiction book would be like reading a textbook. Thankfully that is not the case, the author has laid out this book quite well and was a very interesting read. I'm probably rating this book higher than most people would but I'm a sucker for satistics.
Ian
Feb 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up
Dude is trying to make money. I doubt he believes anything he actually says. Big correlation = causation fan. Thinks that when people have THC in their system when they do crazy shit, it means they did it because of THC, even though they may not have smoked for month. There's cases to be made against weed without promoting ideas that have been proven to be bullshit.
Mark Jr.
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, 2020, library-book
For every book there is an equal and opposite book. I read Smoke Signals by Martin Lee in preparation for my own small coauthored book, Can I Smoke Pot? Marijuana in Light of Scripture (Cruciform, 2016). I wish Berenson's excellent book had been available then. It was, like Smoke Signals, journalistic in tone and therefore accessible to a non-specialist like me. But what can I say? Unlike Smoke Signals, I found Tell Your Children persuasive; it didn't feel like a whitewash—or rather, a blackwash ...more
Elizabeth
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, crime
This is a timely book. Just because something is legal does not mean it's good for you. Alex Berenson does an excelkent job showing the history, issues, concerns, and major reasons why marijuana legalization has gone political as well as being a major health crisis.

Marijuana had been illegal across the US until it was hit upon to turn into "medicine". "Medicine" that has very few, if any, benefits. And who benefited from medicalization and legalization of marijuana? The people who were already
Bryan Summers
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It made me a lot less cavalier about marijuana legalization.
Michael
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science, media, social
It’s def. a contrarian book in so far as “common knowledge” is that pot is harmless with no side effects.

Bereson does make an interesting case though based on his research that not all is green with the green stuff.

Where the book gets a bit muddy is around the question if this is a general risk of pot or if it mostly affects young (<25 years) brains during development.

He does not prove cause and effect, but he shows enough correlation that smoking pot before your mid 20s, especially regularly, i
Dan
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
The best objection to this book is to handwave the findings as "anecdotal" and the product of a correlation/causation fallacy. But...

1. There is certainly enough "anecdata" presented in this book to justify "slowing down" on our emerging national experiment with marijuana legalization.
2. The theory it presents--that the concentration level of THC in modern marijuana makes it fundamentally riskier than earlier iterations of the drug--is plausible enough that there is a basis for causation. (Corre
Keith Breinholt
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Must Read to understand the Legalization Debate.

Very concise and thorough. With the debate on legalizing marijuana so prevalent in the United States this book is a must read for anyone who wants a full and accurate knowledge of the research that has been done on marijuana use and effects.
Pat
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The author has done meticulous research and the studies cited are convincing. This drug is certainly not your grandmothers weed anymore. It is important information to get to the public and especially to parents, grandparents, and teachers. Eye-opening and well-written.
Jim Cullison
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Six stars out of a possible five. The most important non-fiction book of 2019.
Ietrio
May 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: junk
A long list of anecdotal evidence of why Berenson should decide what you can or can not do.
Gene Laratonda
"Milk is a gateway drug to beer then burbon." I love this congressmans scathing sarcastic response to then FBI director Robert Mueller. TELL YOUR CHILDREN THE TRUTH and not Alex Berenson's fictional propaganda that has been found out to be Harry Ansliger's 80 year old reefer madness fear mongering. Fact check this book and you'll find its credibility is woefully inadequate.

See full 3 min clip here...
Bryan
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who thinks that cannabis is a safe substance that can be used to solve a large variety of medical problems and which is safe as a recreational drug needs to read this book. Although all that needs to be known is by no means known with certainty, some things are becoming very clear, based on well established data.

1. The medical usefulness of cannabis is greatly overblown by cannabis advocates and the media. Although cannabis does seem to have modest analgesic properties, it is appears to b
D. Erik Aspenson
May 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
David Hairston
Apr 24, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Reefer Madness from an author who knows exactly what he is doing. The guy rightly pokes fun at Stoner logic and then repeats the same logical fallacy. He knows he is doing it too. Any careful read identifies the weak logic pointed out by the author in the detail. This is very much like the DEA propaganda published which points out their lies in the detail but it never makes to the executive summary you hear regurgitated by every incompetent Law Enforcement Lobbyist in America.
Eric Osserman
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had no idea how marijuana can cause psychosis, leading to violence, till I heard from the author. This is a very important book for us as citizens, for legislators, for mental health professionals, and for substance abuse counselors. The facts, marshaled historically, globally and regionally, are overwhelming.
Brendon Pierson
Feb 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
I’m not sure if this anecdotal rant without a single scientific footnote, reference, or citation should be considered non fiction. I would expect better from an author with such a background.
Bill Ward
May 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Important reading -- much of it based on peer-reviewed research -- though most pot smokers will not venture beyond the subtitle. I wish they would.
I find it's often great to delve into what contradicts conventional wisdom, especially when it affirms former conventional wisdom.
An accompaniment case study for what's presented here (albeit maybe an extreme example) would be the Aaron Hernandez biopic, available on Netflix, "Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez": https://www.netflix.com/title/
Karl Schmidt
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This books totally subverted my expectations. I was neutral to relatively positive about marijuana use before, but after this, I’m thoroughly in the camp that it should not be legalized, and heavily discouraged. It isn’t a harmless drug; tell your children.
Diedra
Jul 08, 2020 rated it liked it
The premise of this book -- namely, that marijuana has, throughout time and in different cultures, caused a subset of its users to become schizophrenic and violent -- is interesting and runs counter to Western culture's view of marijuana as a harmless recreational drug. However, I think I would have preferred reading a long article. I couldn't get through this book and would have just liked the information condensed.
Nader Rizkalla
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This important book focuses on only one aspect of the serious adverse consequences of cannabis epidemic: cannabis induced mental illness associated with violence.
Yet the facts are horrifyingly alarming!

Forget about the lies that cannabis advocates are throwing into your ears- here are the terrible facts:
> Cannabis actually kills people- by traffic road accidents, child neglect, cannabis-induced psychosis violence.
> Cannabis will not reduce the opiate crisis- it will increase it.
> Cannabis users
Kirk Mahoney
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The author's early-2019 piece in Hillsdale College's Imprimis first caught my attention to his investigation. His subsequent appearances on Tucker Carlson Tonight got me to buy and read the book, which makes a compelling case for the link between psychosis and marijuana (in general and THC in particular).

I only wish that the author had included references to all the research that he cited. However, he does give enough information -- article titles, researcher names, etc. -- that Web searches wou
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Decadent Society: How We Became the Victims of Our Own Success
  • I'm Your Emotional Support Animal: Navigating Our All Woke, No Joke Culture
  • The Age of Entitlement: America Since the Sixties
  • Apocalypse Never: Why Environmental Alarmism Hurts Us All
  • Infiltration: The Plot to Destroy the Church from Within
  • Justice on Trial: The Kavanaugh Confirmation and the Future of the Supreme Court
  • BLITZ: Trump Will Smash the Left and Win
  • White Guilt: How Blacks and Whites Together Destroyed the Promise of the Civil Rights Era
  • How to Destroy America in Three Easy Steps