Start by marking “Do You Dream of Terra-Two?” as Want to Read:
Do You Dream of Terra-Two?

Do You Dream of Terra-Two?

When an Earth-like planet is discovered, a team of six teens, along with three veteran astronauts, embark on a twenty-year trip to set up a planet for human colonization—but find that space is more deadly than they ever could have imagined.

Have you ever hoped you could leave everything behind?
Have you ever dreamt of a better world?
Can a dream sustain a lifetime?

A centur
Expected publication: August 13th 2019 by Saga Press (first published March 7th 2019)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
LOOK

Emer
publishing this week

from the blurb...A century ago, scientists theorised that a habitable planet existed in a nearby solar system. Today, ten astronauts will leave a dying Earth to find it. Four are decorated veterans of the 20th century’s space-race. And six are teenagers, graduates of the exclusive Dalton Academy, who’ve been in training for this mission for most of their lives.

It will take the team 23 years to reach Terra-Two. Twenty-three years spent in close quarters. Twenty-three years wit
Liz Barnsley
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm in love with this book.

It is a hugely compelling character driven drama, from the feet on the ground to the start of an epic journey through space, by the time you come to the end of this gorgeously immersive debut you will almost certainly be dreaming of Terra-two.

Mere children still when they start their training, Harry, Jesse, Juno, Astrid, Aria Eliot and Poppy have different feelings and reasons for their determination to be part of the beta crew who will spend over two decades in space
Figgy
Review to come.

There were issues, but this was also an advanced proof copy, so maybe these will be fixed in the final copy?

There were some problems with pacing around the middle, though the last 100 pages rushed by. Some characters were a lot more well-formed than others, and I did NOT have a clear picture of the ship in my mind.

BUT.

I will say, this was not what I expected going in, but I am glad to have read it. It's something of a space-romp but with a lot of introspection and character explo
Tammy
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The nitty-gritty: An exhilarating, character-driven debut that touches on such themes as mental illness, the tenuousness of life and death, and the power of true belief. If you’ve ever dreamed of traveling beyond the stars, Do You Dream of Terra-Two? is a must read. It left me breathless.

It occurred to Astrid, in a disembodied instant, tha
Tamsien West (Babbling Books)
Do You Dream of Terra Two? was SO incredibly good. It's a debut character-driven sci-fi novel by a woman of colour that features a diverse cast, and I couldn't get enough. ⠀

It's being described by the publisher as "The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet meets The 100", and I couldn't agree more. The characters are all really well developed, and given a share of the focus via switching perspectives.

The premise is not particularly unique - a group of teens train in a special academy and become the
Kindling Micky
2.5 - 3 stars

This sci-fi appealed to me on a number of levels. The idea of six young adult astronauts trained from early adolescence for the mission of their lives, alongside seasoned and more mature astronauts really excited me. Add that to a one-way trip to Terra-Two in another star system and I literally asked netgalley to sign me up! The concept was pretty amazing but slow to get off the ground, quite literally. I thought at one point they were never going to leave earth.

You’ll be glad to kn
imyril
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm. I don’t think the elevator pitch captures this book at all. Those hoping for a Wayfarer vibe are likely to be disappointed. If I’m honest, this didn’t really work for me; I found it a mixed bag of intriguing character drama followed by unconvincing/convenient right turns. I’m conscious I read an early ARC, so possibly some of these things will polish up in a final edit? Even if this isn’t the case, there’s plenty to enjoy along the way, and I’ll keep an eye open for more books by Temi Oh i ...more
Toya
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do You Dream of Terra-Two? an outstanding alternative history, YA sci-fi debut where six exceptional teenagers (Jesse, Harry, Astrid, Aria, Poppy, and Juno), alongside four adult experts, are tasked with spending 25 years pioneering the beta colonization of Terra-Two. This story is told from each of their point of views, which allows the reader to become fully immersed into not only the individual characters but their intertwining relationships as well.

Don’t expect this to be an action-packed sc
Kate
I found this an engrossing read (I read much of it in one sitting) although it wasn't quite what I was expecting. The focus here is very much on the teenage astronauts themselves - their relationships and their extreme stress. I couldn't help but find the premise unlikely (albeit appealing) and the slightly adjusted alternate history a bit under developed, but I did get carried along by its tension and pace and there are moments of real emotion. The character portraits of the teenagers are very ...more
Tammy
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous and brilliant. Review to come closer to publication.
Helena Summers
"The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet meets The 100" I'M IN
charlotte
Galley provided by publisher

On my blog.

Rep: black mcs, South Asian mc

Actual rating 3.5

Do You Dream of Terra-Two? is an alternate history where a planet with life-sustaining capabilities has been discovered and, in 2012, the first expedition is sent out to try and colonise it. It's the story of the six young astronauts who go on that 23-year-long mission, and their journey into space.

This isn't an action-packed book, far from it. It's a character-driven novel, where you might start out thinki
Eleanor
A novel set in a sort of parallel-universe Britain where, by 2012, humanity is sending a small group of carefully selected astronauts to colonize a planet just like Earth, found on the other side of Alpha Centauri. The six teenagers chosen for the mission have trained for years and won’t set foot on the planet, nicknamed Terra-Two, until they’re in their forties. Oh narrates her novel through the eyes of each teenager, a number of viewpoints that feels unnecessary and somewhat garbled. Although ...more
Kathy
So this is an odd, odd book to classify. It's not a sweeping space adventure in the vein of Interstellar. Nor is it quite the thriller that Gravity is (though there are resemblances in the last 1/4 of the book). And if you ask me what happens in the course of 528 pages, I'd be inclined to answer, "Nothing much."

But it's kind of like spending an entire evening plus the early morning hours outside, staring up at the constellations and telling their stories in your head. And next day, when someone
Niamh
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very kindly given an E-ARC of this book by Simon & Schuster UK and Netgalley.

This book is billed as a mix between The Long Way To A Small Angry Planet and the TV show The 100, but I would suggest it leans more towards the former than the latter. With the exception, I expect (I’ve never watched the show) to melodramatic teenagers who are absolutely no help in a crisis being the main characters.

An action-packed humanist-focused science fiction novel, this book follows a group of young
Vicky
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Space. The final frontier?
Joking aside, it basically is for the heroes of Temi Oh's new book, Do You Dream of Terra-Two?, which follows the journey of six young would-be astronauts as they look to the skies and look to set off on a 22-year journey to Terra Two, Earth's distant twin, and hopefully the future of the human race.
You can see from the start that this book definitely does not skimp on ambition, especially as we actually follow them into space. But rather than being the straightforward
Anjana
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The biggest disservice to reading the book would be to go in expecting a completely science fiction setup: space travel, aliens etc.  I am not denying that the science fiction part does exist but it is but a background for intense character analysis. I did not remember much of the blurb when I started reading and later felt that this might have been a big part of why I enjoyed the book as much as I did.

It is the year 2012 and it has already been a decade since an alternate planet similar to our
Lucille
3,5/5
This is going to be a hard one to review!
It kept me reading, kept me engaged and dying to know what would happen and how it would end. I felt for the character but at the same time I didn't really love them. I guess it's well done that while reading from their point of view I liked them better than from the point of view of others?
I'm left a bit disappointed by the end, from the way the story was moving I was starting to wonder if this was actually a series but no, seems to really be a st
Eleanor
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The UK Space Agency sends a group of teenagers on a decades-long mission to Terra-Two, a theoretically habitable planet, with a view to colonising it. The trip involves saying goodbye to their families forever, decades of confinement, never being outside, isolation, not to mention the ever present danger of travelling through space. The group have been rigorously trained since they were children but nothing can prepare them for a life in space.
This is a fascinating book, looking at sacrifice, d
Ash
Jun 16, 2018 marked it as i-need-2019  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
OMG OMG OMG!
"The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet meets The 100"
SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!
Helen
Do you Dream of Terra-Two? gets off to a slow start taking it's time to introduce all the different characters and the relationships between them. It sounds like a bad thing but it's really not because it's so well done.

There is a large cast but they're not hard to follow and all of them have something to like about them.

I was hooked right from the start when these young wannabe astronauts have to deal with the suicide of one of their number. One minute they are bright young things featuring o
Clare
This book seemed to take over my life whilst I was reading it - if I wasn't actually reading, I was thinking about it. Partly the moral ramifications of training 12/13 year olds to travel in space for 20+ years to get to an Earth-like planet that no-one had ever been to before, and partly - how exciting would THAT be!!
The characters fascinated me. There was a lot of character development, and I enjoyed it all. The lead up to getting on the ship was quite long, but I really think it was needed.
Athena_reads
3.5 stars.

Imagining alternative worlds, thinking about and interrogating the political and ethical components of decision-making is a political act. And it is always exciting to discover young women writers that visualise new worlds and possibilities, and write thoughtfully about the political and moral considerations of space colonisation.

Temi Oh’s debut sci-fi novel Do You Dream of Terra-Two? is a story that explores all the above issues. The Earth is dying. Humans have triggered the sixth g
Tsana Dolichva
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do You Dream of Terra-Two? by Temi Oh is a YA book set in a world in which there is a very nearby Earthlike exoplanet and a very fast (compared with reality) spaceship engine has been invented. The story is about a group of teenagers who were trained up from the age of 13 and forced to compete against each other for a place in the British expedition to claim and start colonising Terra-Two.

I have mixed feelings about this book overall. (That seems to be a bit of a developing trend with the new Br
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
MisterHobgoblin
Do You Dream of Terra Two follows the fortunes of a cohort of six young people who have volunteered to train for space travel and fly for 23 years to a distant twin of the Planet Earth.

Terra Two reads like a Young Adult novel. Let’s get that across up-front. Although not marketed as YS, and although the characters are notionally adult through most of the text, they behave like 14 year olds. For the first third of the novel, the Beta astronauts are in fact 14 year olds at the Space Academy, doin
Kath
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars rounded up.
Having resisted the genre for so long as I thought it wouldn't work for me, I am really starting to enjoy sci-fi books. This one was no exception although I did feel it lost its way a bit towards the end. In fact, as we approached the final chapters, I thought it was looking like being part one of a trilogy as it felt like there was much more to come but then the author wrapped it up a bit quickly and it did leave me feeling a bit flat and not as satisfied as I would have pr
Vivienne
My thanks to Simon & Schuster U.K. for an eARC via NetGalley of Temi Oh’s debut SF novel, ‘Do You Dream of Terra Two?’ in exchange for an honest review.

As an audiobook edition was available ahead of the ebook and hardback publication date, I purchased it to supplement my reading experience. It was narrated by Nneya Okoye.

‘Terra Two’ is set in an alternative version of history in which a habitable planet had been discovered a hundred years ago in a not too distant star system. Similar to our
Atsu
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
We have been told that Terra-Two is waiting for us, and perhaps it still is. Perhaps the sand has washed up on the shore in quiet anticipation of the day we set our soles dancing across it.

Do You Dream Of Terra-Two? is the type of book that knows how to make you keep reading. There's something addictive in the writing, in this set of completely unstable young people stuck together in a spaceship and who are supposed not to kill each other in the next twenty-three years. However, as we all kn
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Ninth House, #1)
  • Eternal Sabbath, Volume 6
  • The Future of Another Timeline
  • Upon a Burning Throne (Burnt Empire Saga, #1)
  • The Haunting of Tram Car 015
  • Gods of Jade and Shadow
  • Kekkaishi, Vol. 09 (Kekkaishi, #9)
  • Pumpkin Scissors 1
  • Empress of Forever
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • An Illusion of Thieves (Chimera #1)
Temi Oh was born in 1993 in London, to Nigerian parents. She studied at Bishop Thomas Grant and then Emanuel School, Battersea. In 2015 she graduated from King’s College London with a BSci in Neuroscience. Her degree provided great opportunities to write and learn about topics ranging from ‘Philosophy of the Mind’ to ‘Space Physiology’.

After her final year she decided to pack up and pursue her dr