Start by marking “Kind of Coping: An Illustrated Look at Life with Anxiety” as Want to Read:
Kind of Coping: An Illustrated Look at Life with Anxiety

Kind of Coping: An Illustrated Look at Life with Anxiety

“These comics perfectly capture what it's like to live with anxiety.” —BuzzFeed

Maureen “Marzi” Wilson—the popular Instagram cartoonist behind Introvert Doodles—is back with a brand-new collection of hilarious, relatable, and heartwarming doodles about anxiety that show you that you are not alone.

If you struggle with anxiety, you may feel like it’s you against the world all the tim/>Maureen
Published January 1st 2019 by Adams Media

To ask other readers questions about Kind of Coping, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kind of Coping

Start your review of Kind of Coping: An Illustrated Look at Life with Anxiety
Kelly Long
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All the stars for this great book! Being an introvert with anxiety, I can relate to most of Marzi's illustrations. Loved the doodles and laughs. It's nice to know I'm not alone with these thoughts.
Courtney
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is important. If you suffer from anxiety, this is the perfect book to help you feel like you're not alone. If you know someone who suffers from anxiety, this is the perfect book to illustrate how to begin to understand and support those people.
Rod Brown
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very amusing and relatable, even if my level of anxiety comes nowhere close to the author's. The art and writing of the cartoons are so charming that I didn't even mind the inspirational chapter at the end despite usually avoiding the self-help section.
Jeanne
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fun little book. Charming, relatable and laugh out loud funny. Not anxiety inducing at all. Usually books about anxiety give me anxiety and I can't read them.
Anne
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
This was so comforting to me. I think I'll return to this in times when I feel alone in my anxiety. Thank you, Marzi!
Jenny
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I follow the author on Instagram and definitely relate to her. I bought her book to not only remind myself it's okay to have anxiety but to help with friends with some comedic relief when they're struggling. There is even a part about being a friend to someone with anxiety. I found it extremely helpful. One friend in particular tends to message me when she's on the verge of a panic attack and this book gave me some great ideas on what to say to her to help. While reading this book I wanted to se ...more
S. A. McGarey
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
5 Stars is not enough! This book perfectly illustrates what having anxiety disorders is like. I wish more people would read this book just to understand what it is like for us. I have anxiety disorders and this book really resonated with me. I could see myself in many of the situations in the book and everything just clicked. If you have anxiety, read this! If you know someone with anxiety, read this so you will know how to help them! Even if you don't have anxiety, but you think it's something ...more
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I always forget how alone and isolated anxiety can make me feel until I read a book where someone else is experiencing the same things, sensations and feelings. This was comforting as a person with severe anxiety and would be great reading for anyone looking to know more about anxiety in general.
Jamie
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it
While I could certainly relate to this book, it was kind of too much of a good thing. I liked Introvert Doodles: An Illustrated Collection of Life's Awkward Moments better overall for some reason.
Misti
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it
A cartoonist looks at life from the perspective of an anxious introvert.

I thought I would love this more than I did, but I discovered that reading about anxiety makes me feel more anxious. Still, YMMV, so if you enjoy this sort of book and the drawing style appeals to you, give it a try!
Megan Johnston
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Been there done that. Glad to see my feelings and thoughts in a comic form.
Savanna
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s good to know that I’m not the only one who had to practice their meal order at a restaurant 10 times before the waiter came over!!
April
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really relatable
Becca
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hi yes if all my loved ones could please read this that'd be swell THANKS ♥ ...more
Amy
Sep 03, 2019 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix
ME
Christine Hopkins
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
the one thing I have EVER been confident in is my ability to destroy at anxiety bingo
CompletelyBooked
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was exactly what I needed to read. She captures the feelings of anxiety perfectly, and it was great to read about another person with both generalized anxiety and social anxiety. Makes me feel less alone in my problems, and I related to a lot of what she said without feeling judged ☺ ...more
Sarah Carr
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! It's only 5 days into 2019 and I can already confirm that this will be on my Favorite Books of 2019 list! Marzi's book made me feel understood and seen and I alternated between laughing and crying at the cartoons. They are great to share with other people, so I can use them as a way to connect with my husband, family, and friends to help them understand what I'm experiencing. If you struggle with anxiety then this book will lift you up and help you feel a little bit better!
Sanaa Hyder
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is wonderful and sincere and funny and I want to give it to all my friends because like me, they know what anxiety can be like, and this book gets that. Also, this serves as much-needed yet light-hearted education for those blessed enough not to suffer from anxiety. Highly recommend.
Bookworm
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
You might know "Marzi" from Instagram, Facebook, etc. as another illustrator who has illustrated her experiences with introversion, anxiety, etc. She already has a book 'Introvert Doodles' and now has a book looking more at anxiety specifically.

It's been awhile since I've read her first book but from what I remember this book is similar. It's a series of comics that portray various aspects of anxiety--from experiences to what makes her anxious to how she copes, etc. Some are highly r
Andrea
More reviews and book-ish content @ Club Book Mobile & Andrea RBK

Kind of Coping: An Illustrated Look at Life with Anxiety by Maureen "Marzi" Wilson (who is on IG as @introvertdoodles) was the realest of real looks at anxiety told through comics. As someone who knows the anxious life well, this one resonated with me on so many levels. I laughed as there were so many situations I had definitely comically found myself in. I nodded because she illustrated perfectly what anxiety can be like in bo
Danielle
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such a lovely little book about mental health, specifically anxiety.💛 I actually had pretty low expectations going in. I figured this would just be a run-of-the-mill, kitschy book filled with doodles all about adulting and #relatable content. But I clearly underestimated this book, because it was wonderful from beginning to end! Marzi is deeply authentic as she opens up about her own experiences with anxiety and the oftentimes debilitating struggles of mental illness. At the same time, ...more
Lori
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! I’ve been following Marzi on Instagram for a while and I love her comics. She is so open and honest about her struggles with anxiety, but also finds the humor while bringing positivity and hope. Mental health issues are near to my heart, so I appreciate how brave she is in bringing up tough topics. And as an introvert, I appreciate how she nails what it’s like to live in a world of extroverts. I highly recommend this book, especially as a way to understand the struggles that people w ...more
Lissy
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really needed this right now. I’m a big fan of Marzi’s Introvert Doodles, which I spotted first on Instagram. I also have the book. She’s got different flavors of anxiety and introversion than I do, but she’s articulate, eloquent and compassionate as well as effective in educating not only the public about these personality traits and conditions but also helps those who possess them accept, process and rise to the challenge of coping with and embracing them. Thank you, Marzi! Please keep putti ...more
Rebecca Ann
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult, graphic-novels
Hello adorable and tiny book about kind of coping with high anxiety, I think I love you. This book understands me on so many levels, even though my anxiety is not as severe as the author's. It even helped me understand why I occasionally hide under my desk on lunch breaks to read. I loved all the charts and took pictures of some of them to recreate with my own versions. A great selection for fans ofHello adorable and tiny book about kind of coping with high anxiety, I think I love you. This book understands me on so many levels, even though my anxiety is not as severe as the author's. It even helped me understand why I occasionally hide under my desk on lunch breaks to read. I loved all the charts and took pictures of some of them to recreate with my own versions. A great selection for fans ofBig Mushy Happy Lump. ...more
JellyBean Morales
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been following Marzi (or is it Maureen... IDK now!!) on Instagram for a while and her little comics always bring a smile to my face.

I loved the Introvert’s Activity Book and knew this one was also going to be a hit for me! There were a few pages/comics that really hit the nail on the head and made me cry because someone could finally put in words or drawings feelings I have had or am having.

It’s a must for any introvert, anyone who has or is currently treating their anxiety, or as a gift
Ruth Gibian
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pretty good graphic book about coping with anxiety. Some of the panels/pages are insightful, resonant, and funny; others aren't quite so good. Very compassionate, with some good ideas that others besides the author might find useful. My favorite of these is a drawing of the word "Perfectionism," followed by a panel that erases all the letters except the first three, then a final panel that says, "Persistence." Yes. Worth reading, and I'm a sucker for wanting to support artists who put themselves ...more
Jessie Bond
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Have to give it five stars since pages of this were ripped directly out of my own brain. I kept making my boyfriend read pages and sending pictures of pages to my best friend like “it me” or “it us.” I should probably buy this and maybe force everyone I know to read it. As a deeply anxious person, it spoke to me, and for a person without anxiety (can’t relate), it seems like a great primer to understanding the anxious people they know.
Laina
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book and found it very relatable, easy to understand, and very accurate. I would recommend it as a great resource for parents who have children (at least over 8 years old) who are struggling with anxiety or are struggling to understand it. It's also the perfect book for anyone who is trying to understand what a loved one is going through when they suffer from anxiety.
Julie
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, graphic
I read this to see if I thought it would be OK to suggest to a teen with anxiety, and I think it is. There are a few spots that address more adult-type anxieties, but they're fine. There are many pages that I think almost any person will relate to, either in themselves or someone they love. I appreciated how Marzi is realistic but also hopeful.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Just Peachy: Comics About Depression, Anxiety, Love, and Finding the Humor in Being Sad
  • Loading Penguin Hugs: Heartwarming Comics from Chibird
  • Am I Overthinking This?: Over-answering life's questions in 101 charts (Humor Books, Self Help Books, Books About Adulthood)
  • Book Love
  • Slothilda: Living the Sloth Life
  • Quiet Girl in a Noisy World: An Introvert's Story
  • You Can Do All Things: Drawings, Affirmations and Mindfulness to Help With Anxiety and Depression
  • Yes, I'm Hot in This: The Hilarious Truth about Life in a Hijab
  • 41 Reasons I'm Staying In: A Celebration of Introverts
  • Super Chill: A Year of Living Anxiously
  • Safely Endangered Comics
  • Text, Don't Call: An Illustrated Guide to the Introverted Life
  • Why My Cat Is More Impressive Than Your Baby
  • Be Everything at Once: Tales of a Cartoonist Lady Person (Cartoon Comic Strip Book, Immigrant Story, Humorous Graphic Novel)
  • Make Yourself Cozy: A Guide for Practicing Self-Care
  • Sad Animal Babies
  • Hidden Heartbreak
  • Our Super Adventure Vol. 1: Press Start to Begin
Maureen Marzi Wilson is an introvert and a doodler. She likes to share her awkward encounters through comics. She created an Instagram account as a way for her to better understand her introversion. Over time she has learned to love her introversion and she hopes that her book will help the readers realize that they are all lovable too.