Jump to ratings and reviews

The Homecoming

Bestselling author Andrew Pyper returns with a riveting psychological thriller about how the people you’ve known your whole life can suddenly become strangers.

What if everything you knew about the people you loved was a lie?

After the death of their absentee father, Aaron and Bridge Quinlan travel to a vast rainforest property in the Pacific Northwest to hear the reading of his will. There, they meet up with their mother and troubled sister, Franny, and are shocked to discover the will’s terms: in order to claim their inheritance they must remain at the estate for thirty days without any contact with the outside world. Despite their concerns, they agree.

The Quinlans soon come to learn their family has more secrets than they ever imagined—revelations that at first inspire curiosity, then fear. Why does Bridge have faint memories of the estate? Why did their father want them to be sequestered there together? And what is out there they feel pulling them into the dark heart of the woods?

The Homecoming is at once a gripping mystery, a chilling exploration of how our memories can both define and betray us, and a riveting page-turner that will have you questioning your very existence.

352 pages, Paperback

First published February 26, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Andrew Pyper

36 books985 followers
Andrew Pyper is the author of ten novels, most recently including THE RESIDENCE. His audio-only thriller, ORACLE (2021) is a #1 Audible bestseller in the US and Canada. Among his previous books, THE DEMONOLOGIST won the International Thriller Writers award for Best Hardcover Novel and was selected for the Globe and Mail’s Best 100 Books of the Year and Amazon’s 20 Best Books. LOST GIRLS won the Arthur Ellis Award and was a New York Times Notable Book of the Year. Three of Pyper’s novels, including THE RESIDENCE, are in active development for television or feature film. He lives in Toronto. Visit andrewpyper.com.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
169 (10%)
1 star
45 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 374 reviews
Profile Image for Chelsea *Slowly Catching Up* Humphrey.
1,388 reviews77.2k followers
October 5, 2022
"When mom called to tell me the news, I was surprised at first that Raymond Quinlan was capable of something so human as dying."

Some phrases that might describe this book: "WTF", "OMG", and "STFU"... I think you get the picture.

I am at a total loss for words here folks, and I mean that in a positive manner. You're tipped off from the very beginning in knowing that something strange is going on with this dysfunctional family, but the reader is dropped right into the middle of the story without much to go on, which is just as it should be. I picture fans of Blake Crouch really taking to The Homecoming.

"How do parents do it? How do they stay ahead of their kids, cut them off at the pass, shield them from whatever they need shielding from? Either I'm too inexperienced at it to know, or all parents fail the same way I'm failing now."

Go in blind folks. In fact, I'm so strongly urging you to do this that I'm going to stop right here and let you read the book for yourself. If you're looking for a psychological thriller that is anything other than cliche, stale, or conventional, here it is friends. I'm going to end with a couple more quotes that I found insightful and one word: enjoy.

"One squeeze means I'm here. Two squeezes means I love you. Three squeezes means it's just me and you."

"I've been brought up to manage hurt by retreating, and to manage others' hurt by standing back from it."

*I received a review copy from the publisher via NetGalley.
Profile Image for BernLuvsBooks .
684 reviews4,625 followers
April 24, 2019
The Homecoming was an unexpected and thoroughly entertaining read! 🤯

I went into the book blind and was grateful that not only had I forgotten any reviews I may have previously read but I couldn't even recall the synopsis. What a treat it was to let this one unfold as I read. Honestly, I was straight up confused while reading. I found myself wondering if this was a mystery, a thriller, horror, a ghost story or a smorgasbord of all of the above. My mind was spinning with theories - and to my delight each and every one of them was wrong !

I promise not to spoil a thing here but here's a brief synopsis: Following the death of their father/husband, the Quinlains are brought to a secluded estate for the reading of Raymond Quinlain's will. In order to claim their inheritance the family must remain on the property for thirty days with zero contact with the outside world. Cue spooky background music here because that's where everything begins to shift. The Quinlains quickly discover that nothing is as it seems. There are many buried secrets and skeletons within their family's closet.

That's all I can say without spoiling this one for you. Just know you're in for a creepy, wild ride with this one. If you let yourself go with it, I think you'll find you are in for a surprising treat. 😉

Special thanks to Andrew Pyper, Simon & Schuster and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review an arc of this book - what a treat it was!
Profile Image for Paromjit.
2,502 reviews24.5k followers
February 6, 2019
This is a mind bender of a horror thriller that came as a complete surprise, it was nothing like what I might have expected it to be. This is the 1st novel I have read by Andrew Pyper, and it certainly made an impact. Raymond Quinlan has died, his wife and three children arrive at Belfountain, a huge remote forested estate, with a fairytale castle, for the reading of the will. It comes as a shock to be informed that Raymond is immensely wealthy, and his assets will be divided between the family members. There is just one slight hitch, they have to live on the estate for a period of 30 days, with no contact with the outside world, so no phones, or internet or any other form of communication. Whilst the money is an incentive, the family decide to stay for other reasons too.

Raymond was an enigma, a mystery, defined by his constant disappearances, and his aloofness from his children. Even his wife feels that she barely knows him, and no-one knows what he did for a living or how he came to be so rich. 36 year old Aaron is a doctor, closest to his youngest sister, 14 year old Bridge. His other sister, Franny, is a recovering drug addict, who lost her son, Nate. There is a strong impression that the estate feels familiar, put down to the stories their father told them, but then there are the odd dreams as life slowly but inexorably begins to tilt off the rails. Others arrive on the estate, as events begin to take a creepy and menacing flavour, with the sound of gunshots, an old camp and scary glimpses of a tall man and an old woman in the woods. All the Quinlans are harbouring trauma within their dysfunctional family. All are searching for their identities, they feel an inner vacuum as they search for answers as to who they are, and they feel sure if they could find out more about their father, it will help to fill this hole within them. However, they could never have imagined where this quest could lead as they become trapped by electrified fences, fear and desperation as they wonder whether they will survive their horrifying ordeal.

Pyper certainly knows how to spin a yarn of horror and the unexpected in this story that has echoes of Agatha Christie and classic golden age crime, but with a little extra dollops of horror. There are twists galore, and the author is an expert in incorporating twists with his slow reveals through the narrative. The characterisation is done remarkably well for all the leftfield revelations that are to come. I think it would be very difficult for readers to guess at the road in which the novel travels. I found this a chilling and atmospheric read that was truly gripping and utterly compelling. This is for those readers who enjoy well plotted and chilling mysteries. Many thanks to Simon and Schuster for an ARC.
Profile Image for Kaceey.
1,005 reviews3,516 followers
January 31, 2019
4.5*
Absolutely mind blowing!
It was time for something a bit different! And this fit the bill perfectly!

Ray Quinlan the patriarch of the family just passed away. But before he did he made arrangements for his widow, 3 children Aaron, Franny and Bridge to gather at his multi-acre compound in the Northwest.
It’s to be the location for the reading of his last will and testament.

Ray Quinlan has always leaned toward the eccentric side, drifting in and out of his familys’ lives. Sadly, no one in the family really knew him well. Not even his wife. So you can imagine the shock when they’re notified of the fortune they’re all about to inherit. Oh Boy!

Of course, nothing is that simple. There’s a hitch....

They need to remain in the compound for 30 days-starting immediately. No phones, no TV, no internet! (No goodreads😱)!
Reluctantly they all agree. There’s too much money at stake here. If they can just put up with each other for 30 days it will all be worth it.

Just outstanding! Expect the unexpected! This book is nothing like what I’d anticipated. Not even close! Multiple jaw-dropping moments followed by repeated “What!!??” screeches across my living room!

If you’re searching for something new and ready to break the mold of your everyday thrillers, this is the book for you! Once you start you won’t be able to put this one down! Enjoy!

A fabulous thrilling shocking buddy read with Susanne!

Thank you to NetGalley, Simon & Schuster and Andrew Pyper for an ARC to read and review
Profile Image for Michelle .
846 reviews1,181 followers
January 30, 2019
Everything about this book sounded right in my wheelhouse and the rave reviews coming in only solidified my feelings so I just couldn't hold off reading this any longer.

Aaaaaannnnnddddddd.....WTF was that? Seriously!

This is not at all the book I was expecting.

The Quinlans have been whisked away to a mansion in the middle of the rain forest in the Pacific Northwest on behalf of their absentee and now deceased father. In order for any of them to receive their substantial inheritance they need to remain within the walls of the estate with no outside contact for 30 days. If anyone should try to leave then they forfeit their part of the inheritance.

From the very start, we as a reader, know that something is amiss here. Initially I was very intrigued with finding out what was going on but then the book veers off into a very strange and downright wacky direction that completely lost me.

SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF - You will need this!!!

As other reviewers have mentioned there isn't much more you can say about the plot without going into major spoiler territory. *Zips lips*

Wonderful writing, intriguing idea but just not the story for me I'm afraid. 3 stars!

Thank you to NetGalley and Simon & Schuster for providing me with a digital ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Profile Image for Susanne.
1,155 reviews36.2k followers
February 5, 2019
5 Insanely Brilliant Stars!

Well, WHOA! What on earth did I just read? Crazy, Creepy, Dark and Ominous. Oh and did I say Frakking GREAT!? Yeah, that too. Wowza!

The Quinlan family is called to the family lodge in the Pacific Northwest after the passing of Raymond Quinlan, their husband and father. The Lodge is surrounded by woodlands, cabins and as it turns out, campgrounds. The stipulations of his will states that the Quinlans (Aaron, Bridge, Franny and their mother) must stay on the grounds, secluded from all others, without any distractions from the outside world for 30 days in order to receive the entirety of the estate. Of course they, agree.

What’s not to love? Free food and a gorgeous locale: woods all around, the sun bursting through the trees, the breeze flowing, leaves crackling under their feet - absolute perfection.

It’s not that simply of course. It never is. There is something atmospheric, dark and foreboding there. My breath caught and my skin felt instantly cold … then again, that could have been the freezing New England temperatures I found myself in while reading, or it could have been, well… hush now!

What else can I say? “The Homecoming” was completely Unputdownable! Crazy and Wild! It left me breathless, my heart pounding, sending crazy text messages to my book buddy Kaceey, our both saying WTH!?!?! This is a book you MUST get your hands on now. Don’t delay, don’t question anything, just do it!

This was a buddy read with Ms. Kaceey! I LOVED reading this one with you Kace - it was a fantastically fun, crazy, surprising read. I wish every book was this good!

A huge thank you to NetGalley, Simon and Schuster Canada and Andrew Pyper for an arc of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

Published on NetGalley, Goodreads and Twitter on 2.2.19.
Excerpt to be published on Instagram.
April 15, 2019
2.5 stars. I enjoyed the writing, but couldn’t connect to the characters or storyline.

Aaron Quinlan reunites with his family after his father dies. He, along with his mother and siblings, are summoned to a large, hidden estate to discuss the details of his father’s will. They learn of the enormous sum of money that will be split between them under one condition – they must remain on the estate together for thirty days without any contact outside of its gates starting immediately. What unfolds after this is an action-packed, suspenseful and fast-paced journey.

I enjoyed the writing and how the story unfolded. Unfortunately, the plot and characters didn’t work for me. I couldn’t relate or invest myself in the situation that was happening. For those thriller readers who have the ability to suspend disbelief, this would be a great read. I just couldn’t get passed the several plot points and character quirks that didn’t add up. I am simply not the proper audience for this storyline. With that being said, I would like to try something else by this author, as I did like his style of writing.

Thank you to NetGalley and Simon & Schuster for providing me with an ARC to read and review!
Profile Image for Jess☺️.
448 reviews80 followers
March 26, 2019
The Homecoming by Andrew Pyper is a freaking ride of a book, it's like one of those rollercoasters that has a slow run up whilst your nerves start to jingle and then all of a sudden WOOSH it just takes off and your holding on for dear life, at the end your nerves are shot and your left trying to catch your breath, that's this book.
When reading you think you have this story pegged from the start trust me you don't and then you have the twist thrown in my flipping god.😮
I never expected this book to be anything like the way it turned out, I was expecting another kind of story but I wasn't disappointed in the slightest.
But I'm glad to say I've found a new author who I'm looking forward to reading more from.
I recommend this to anyone who wants a suprise.
Profile Image for Erin Clemence.
1,005 reviews297 followers
December 20, 2018
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a free, electronic ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

When Aaron Quinlan’s father dies, a stipulation of the Will states that, in order to receive the large fortune his father had, he must spend a month, with just his sisters and mother, in the large, secret estate his father owned. Although a stipulation involves absolutely no contact with the outside world in any way, Aaron and his family reluctantly agree to the challenge. However, the secluded estate seems to have way too many secrets, and soon surprising and even haunting things start to happen. Why did their father keep so much of his life secret? Who do they keep seeing in shadows in the dark woods behind the home? Why does Aaron’s youngest sister have faint memories of this estate, yet no one else has ever been there?

This is the backdrop for “The Homecoming”, the newest novel by Andrew Pyper, to be released in February 2019. Dubbed The Canadian Stephen King, with good reason, Pyper tells a haunting tale that has vague touches of King’s recent novel, “The Outsider” (especially the details of the “Thin Man in the woods”).

As a fan of Pyper, I was anxiously awaiting this novel, and thrilled when I received an ARC. My long-time adoration of Pyper’s works makes me a slightly biased reader, so be warned….

The Quinlan family had deep secrets to be sure, far deeper than most families, and the reveal of such secrets was definitely unexpected and surprising. Without spoilers, it can be said that “Homecoming” had quite a few delightful twists and turns. A slow burn of a thriller, this story took a while to hook me, but soon enough I was just as curious to have my questions answered as the Quinlan’s were.

As is always the case with Pyper, his settings are top notch on the gothic scale. A deserted summer camp, a door at the end of a dark hallway which holds gory and chilling secrets, and an old, abandoned estate with no escape, all play a part in this novel. Each character is human and flawed, but not enough that the reader does not form a bond with them and root for them throughout (especially young and precocious Bridge).

“Homecoming” is dark and twisted, as are all of Pyper’s novels, told through creative language and descriptive settings. Fans of Stephen King (as I am) will adore Pyper, and will quickly draw comparisons between the two, as their writing styles are extremely similar. That being said, Pyper is creative in his own right and although my expectations were ludicrously high for this novel (as they are with most of my favourite authors), I can say that he did not disappoint. Although not my favourite Pyper novel (that sits with “The Demonologist”) “The Homecoming” is definitely worth a read.
Profile Image for Esil.
1,118 reviews1,323 followers
February 3, 2019
3+ stars

This was well written and well done, but ultimately it wasn't really my kind of read. I like my mysteries and psychological thrillers rooted in the complexity of the characters and interesting situations. I'm not big into action packed plots or chase scenes. The Homecoming started out with all the right ingredients. After the death of his father, the narrator, his mother and his two siblings are taken to a place deep in the woods ostensibly to find out about their father's will. However, a clause in the will requires them to spend 30 days on the property without contact with the outside world before they can get their share of the estate. Then four other people arrive and things start to get more complicated. The set up is very good and the dynamic between the characters is interesting. But what followed had too much physical toing and froing for my taste. There are many twists and turns, and the big reveal is clever. Pyper's writing is very good. Ultimately, this one comes down to a matter of taste. I didn't love it but there are many positive well deserved reviews. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for a chance to read an advance copy in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Krystin | TheF**kingTwist.
448 reviews1,711 followers
September 15, 2022
Book Blog | Bookstagram

This is the first I’ve ever read of Pyper but it probably won’t be my last, because The Homecoming was pretty much the shit if you’re into dark thrillers with a horror-sci-fi undertone.

The Quinlan family has lost their patriarch, the mysterious and absent Raymond Quinlan. He was a workaholic who left his children with some daddy issues. But all his work and bad parenting also left behind a few million in assets, so how bad can an absent father really be in that case?

Belfountain is a huge estate in the PNW that includes cabins, a lodge and an old Christian summer camp on the grounds - which sounds totally normal. It’s worth a cool thirty million in the right market conditions. But, in order for them to get their hands on their cut of their father’s will, the Quilan heirs have to agree to spend 30 days on the estate with no contact with the outside world.

And I mean, that sounds weird and fucked up and you have to ask yourself, seriously what kind of father did they get stuck with? But it’s still a few million each and at this point in my life, I would do a lot of fucked up things for a few million.

That’s pretty much all I can say about the plot, which is basically what you’ll find out within the first 10% of the book. The rest can read a little far-fetched, but the characters, the setting and the plot are treated with such honesty and care that suspension of disbelief is easy to come by.

This was part horror-slasher in the woods and part thriller, with dashes of locked-room mystery and sci-fi. The writing is minimalist in description, except where it counts – namely the creepy stuff.

It leans heavily on dialogue and interactions to bring the characters and relationships to life, which is my favourite kind of writing. It doesn’t feel bogged down or overstuffed, giving the pace a kick in the ass when it was needed and an atmosphere that was creepy, but vibrant.

If you like thrillers with unexpected plot elements, I recommend this for real. I also recommend women’s rights.

⭐⭐⭐⭐ | 4 stars

book source: NetGalley in exchange for a review.
Profile Image for Kendall.
625 reviews623 followers
January 9, 2019
"A patchwork of a man. One who’s no longer a man. An undead scarecrow who leapt from its post. Clothes so stained by dirt, by blood they cling to him like plastic wrap.”

How can you not be intrigued by the above statement and creeped out?! I had been hearing very good things about Andrew Pyper so I decided to take a chance on reading The Homecoming... and OH MY I'm so glad that I did.

WOW... talk about CREEPY and ghostly!

A family has learned that their father has passed and they must meet up at his estate. Mind you the family has zero idea the father even had an estate?! The will states that the family must meet here for 30 days with no contact to the outside world. No problem... you're thinking 30 days with family is easy!

Well... not until the woods starts to come alive and the estate isn't what it seems at all.

What the heck is going on? What is the sole purpose of the estate and why are there creepy as hell creatures coming alive?

I'd recommend going in blind with this one as everyone keeps saying and am glad that I did. What a crazy and creepy book this was.

Overall enjoyed it! 4 creepy stars!

Huge thank you to Netgalley and Simon Schuster Canada for the arc in exchange for an honest review.

Pub date: 2/26/19
Published to GR: 1/9/19
April 24, 2019

Reading of a will, remote rainforest estate, a family secluded from the outside world and surrounded by danger.

Ok hmm, what did I just read here? Sounds like an easy plot to wrap your head around. Well, I am really not sure what this story was all about after reading this one.

The Homecoming started off as an intriguing and interesting read and the twists to this one became terrifying here for our characters. The suspense and tension increased until about ¾ of the way and then it took a very unexpected turn for me and I was left thinking what kind of thriller I am reading here. I felt there was a mix here of genres that took me by surprise and just left me lost and confused. A few reviews suggest going into this one not knowing much about this one so I am going to keep it short here and recommend if you are a reader that likes to know the direction the story is going to read a bit more about this one before going into it. I wished I had.

Thank you to NetGalley, Simon & Schuster Canada for my ARC.
Profile Image for Ken.
2,112 reviews1,316 followers
March 22, 2019
Could you go 30 days without a Mobile Phone, Internet, TV and Alcohol, if so you’ll be financially rewarded.

I’m sure most people have seen that hypothetical proposition on social media, that is the choice that Aaron and he’s siblings are present after their father dies.
To receive their inheritance they must spend that time in a secluded cabin in the deep mountains.

Pyper takes that simple question and completely turns it on its head in an interesting crazy way.
Let’s just say that their stay isn’t going to be as simple as they’d initially thought!

I quite enjoyed my first experience with Pyper, having not read anything previously by him.
I wasn’t sure what to expect.
I think that’s the best way to summarise the rest of the novel, I had no idea how the story would resolve itself!

The chapters are nice and short that helps keep the reader guessing, along with some dark moments I’m sure most horror fans will like.
Profile Image for Nadia.
263 reviews175 followers
March 3, 2019
I thought the premise of Homecoming sounded great - a family has to stay on an isolated property for 30 days without any contact with the outside world in order to inherit a big pot of money. I couldn't wait to dive in!

Unfortunately, this book and I, we never clicked. I was not a fan of the writing style, the narrative felt rushed to me, not building enough suspense. I had also problems connecting with the characters who seemed to lack emotions in some dramatic situations. Also some of their actions felt totally irrational and I just couldn't get onboard. Even the big reveal in the book could not save it for me.

However, it seems like the majority of readers enjoyed the book, so please do not let my review deter you!

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for my review copy.
Profile Image for Dennis.
723 reviews1,380 followers
December 26, 2018
What the &$#% did I just read?! Andrew Pyper's The Homecoming is a bizarre, yet utterly gripping suspense treat for thriller and suspense aficionados. This family drama starts off with Aaron Quinlan and his much younger sister Bridit (aka Bridge) on their way to their estranged father, Ray Quinlan's funeral. Once they meet up with their mother and other sister Franny, the four of them are seated with their father's estate attorney Mr. Fogarty. They are told that they must spend thirty days at Ray Quinlan's home, disconnected from the outside world, and after doing so, they'll be allowed to inherit a portion of the 30 million dollar estate that he's leaving behind. As the time in their father's house continues, the family learns of secrets that have never been discussed, and their time at the estate is sketchy, at best. Someone's lurking around their property, but what does this mean for the Quinlan's? Who's watching them and why?

The Homecoming is very original, and very strange—in the best way possible! The story that Andrew Pyper provides is so detailed and gripping, that I would urge you to not read any more spoilers into the story. This book packs a punch, and you'll notice that you're devouring the book, page-by-page, in record speed! I finished The Homecoming in one sitting, and I'm so glad that I did, because it was one of those novels that I'd never be able to guess the outcome.

The Homecoming is a psychological thriller/suspense, but at it's core, it's also a family drama. In an over-saturated genre, The Homecoming delivers. It's originality will keep you turning the pages, but it's suspense will keep you glued. At times, The Homecoming can come across a little farfetched, but take it with a grain of salt. You'll enjoy the storyline, love the characters, and be completely freaked out at the same time! Andrew Pyper, you've gained a new fan, and I can't wait to see what else you've got up your sleeve.
Profile Image for Monika Sadowski.
197 reviews49 followers
February 26, 2019
It was my first book written by Andrew Pyper and definitely not the last one. Wow, what a roller-coaster, I love books with twists like this one. Nothing I could predict or assume. Fast page turner for sure. Characters very well developed, I got few favorites. I highly recommend to those who enjoy thriller/mystery genre.

Thank you to Net Galley and Simon & Schuster for a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Sadie Hartmann.
Author 18 books3,707 followers
January 31, 2019
Let me just start off by saying that I'm going to avoid discussing plot details that are anything above and beyond what you can readily gather from the summary.
My suggestion is that you skip the summary AND any reviews (other than mine of course *wink*) and just go into this one blind.
Mother Horror notes: It took me a little while to get involved. To settle in and to enjoy myself. I kept wanting to get out ahead of the pacing and muscle through the confusion but I wish I would have reminded myself to just relax and let it happen.
This is a bit of a slow burn; Pyper keeps all the answers just out of reach for a long time. The game here is to see if you can just hang with these characters long enough to find out what the actual hell is going on.
Much like the show LOST, thousands of questions are presented without an immediate promise to answer them. Many loose ends left dangling at the ends of chapters; very little forward movement on any of the several, big mysteries happens before another plot twist comes and blows all your theories out the door.
Typically, this would frustrate me but Andrew Pyper does a few things very well that saved it for me.
* He writes interesting characters that engage in authentic dialogue.
* Pyper's storytelling narrative is so casual and effortless, the words just melt away and the drama plays out in my mind as the pages fly.
* There is plenty of creepy imagery and supernatural elements to keep an avid horror reader intrigued.
Lastly, I just had to know how this ended.
This is an unpredictable, highly addictive read where the author is totally in control of unpacking this mystery/horror/thriller exactly the way he wants it done. The reader should just take a back seat and let the story unfold without trying too hard to figure everything out--just enjoy being enraptured by the tale. I certainly did.
Profile Image for Sue.
1,315 reviews5 followers
April 8, 2019
The Homecoming is a riveting psychological thriller by bestselling author Andrew Pyper.
Bestselling author Andrew Pyper returns with a fascinating psychological thriller about how the people you’ve known your whole life can suddenly become strangers.

All I can say is this book blew me away…and not at all what I was expecting. I suggest you go into this book blind.

What if everything you knew about the people you loved was a lie?

After the death of their absentee father, Aaron and Bridge Quinlan travel to a vast rainforest property in the Pacific Northwest to hear the reading of his will. There, they meet up with their mother and troubled sister, Franny, and are shocked to discover the will’s terms: in order to claim their inheritance, they must all remain at the estate for thirty days without any contact with the outside world. Despite their concerns, they agree.

To reveal more about this novel, would disclose spoilers. Let’s just say things are not what they seem! So many secrets and revelations.

This is a one creepy, exceptionally well written, totally engrossing novel. The plot immediately hooked me. This story is complex, yet easy to get lost in. Full of twists, well-drawn characters and riveting suspense. Clever, manipulative, dark and disturbing,

If you love psychological thrillers then I highly recommend this novel. Do yourself a favor and read this book! You won’t regret it. The Homecoming is a frightening exploration of how our memories can both define and betray us, and will have you questioning your very existence.

Many thanks to Andrew Pyper, Simon & Schuster Canada via NetGalley for my digital copy.
Profile Image for Liz Barnsley.
3,385 reviews977 followers
January 2, 2019
The Homecoming was a strange and eerie tale of monsters both real and imagined within the tale of a dysfunctional family like no other, although the reasons for this are shrouded in mystery…
Staying a month in isolation in return for a multi million pound pay out doesn’t sound like too much of a stretch- but that’s always assuming you can survive it, especially when strange things happen and you begin to lose touch with reality.
This is where we start, a codicil in a will and a family’s tacit understanding that their father was a bit bonkers. It’s an intriguing premise which Andrew Pyper uses to explore themes of memory and human connection.
Focusing mostly on Aaron, whose relationship with his younger sister Bridge forms the heart of the story, The Homecoming takes you on a twisted and uber creepy path through the woods, both metaphorically and physically as the chilling truth behind this last request starts to emerge.
I was riveted, absolutely glued to the pages as events unfolded, The Homecoming is utterly unpredictable and, yes, just a tiny bit bonkers itself. But it will leave you thinking about many things, not least that which makes us who we are.
Loved it. Different,, quirky, scary as you like and beautifully done.
Recommended.
Profile Image for Zoe.
1,750 reviews157 followers
February 20, 2019
Mystifying, unique, and eerily disconcerting!

The Homecoming is a darkly intense, unconventional thriller that takes us into the life of the Quinlan family as they find themselves isolated, vulnerable, confused, and terrorized by an unknown threat.

The prose is calculated and taut. The characters are complex, mysterious, and tormented. And the plot unravels quickly into a horrifying tale of dreams, secrets, manipulation, perception, betrayal, violence, murder, and the shadowy corners of familial life.

Overall, The Homecoming is a spooky, deliciously, uncomfortable reading experience that gets darker and murkier with each page you turn and is a chilling reminder that monsters of one form or another actually exist and in a world where science and technology are advancing at an alarming rate anything is possible.

Thank you to Simon & Schuster Canada for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Laurie • The Baking Bookworm.
1,345 reviews355 followers
January 7, 2019
3.5 STARS - This is my first book by Canadian author Andrew Pyper. He had been on my radar for a bit and I had even attended a library event he was at a couple of years ago but hadn't picked up one of his books until The Homecoming caught my eye. I went into this book rather blind, only reading the blurb and I highly suggest other readers do the same.

With The Homecoming, I expected a standard suspenseful read about a flawed and damaged family and while the dysfunction runs rampant in this family, the focus was the strange, sinister vibe. I quite enjoyed the slow building of tension and creepiness but this 'Biblio Chicken' (who likes Suspense but has never ventured into the Horror genre) hadn't expected it to be quite so chilling. I found myself muttering 'Geez, Laurie! WHY are you reading this at night??' … as I turned another page. While I might not have as much fortitude in the suspense/horror as some people, this was an enjoyably creepy read.

But while the scare factor is high for most of the book as the mystery surrounding this family unravels and unexpected twists occur, unfortunately the tension tapers off in the last quarter. It's at this point where the explanations broke the tension, and a few felt too far-fetched to be believable.

This was an entertaining, slow burn, chilling read about a dysfunctional family. It keeps readers curious enough to venture into the vast, dark woods with the Quinlans to find out what is really going on. This book will keep you on your toes and have you jumping at the things that go bump in the night.

Disclaimer: My sincere thanks to the publisher for providing me with a complimentary digital copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Profile Image for Mogsy (MMOGC).
1,985 reviews2,584 followers
March 24, 2019
2 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2019/03/24/...

I had such high hopes for The Homecoming by Andrew Pyper, the author one of my favorite horror novels, The Damned. Unfortunately, this book only left me with disappointment as well as an incredulous disbelief at how such a great premise could turn out to be such a mess. And it’s a real shame, because the beginning showed so much promise.

Our story begins in the isolated vastness of the Pacific Northwest rainforest as a limo carries surgeon Aaron Quinlan and his teenage sister Bridge to an undisclosed location, where a lawyer will be waiting to read the final last will and testament of their late father, Raymond. Soon, Aaron and Bridge are joined by their sister Franny and their mother Eleanor. In life, Raymond Quinlan had been a mostly absent father, leaving his wife and kids alone for months at a time while doing business for his mysterious employers, but apparently, the man had even more secrets than his family thought. They are all surprised when they discover that their drivers have brought them to a place called Belfountain, a sprawling estate nestled deep in the forest, exposing the extent of Raymond’s hidden wealth. And now all his assets including the property will belong to the surviving Quinlans—but with just one catch. As stipulated in the will, for Eleanor, Aaron, Franny and Bridge to claim their inheritance, each of them must remain at Belfountain for thirty days without any contact with the outside world, starting immediately. That means no phones and no internet. No supplies beyond the clothes on their back, since they had not been allowed to pack before leaving. Arrangements have been made with the people they know to explain for their month-long absence, or so the lawyer says. Food will be provided via regular deliveries.

Despite their misgivings about the situation, the four of them agree to the terms. Any time one of them wants to bow out, the lawyer has assured them that a satellite phone would be available at the gates to call for a ride. Of course, anyone who takes a step off the property will forfeit their part of the inheritance, worth many millions, but Aaron tells himself that he’s not staying for the money—or not just the money anyway. He wants to know what other secrets Raymond Quinlan had been hiding when he was alive, and why his father concocted this strange scenario to bring his surviving family members together. Above all, he also wants to keep Bridge safe. But when night falls, Belfountain becomes a different place. Aaron and his sisters start having the same disturbing dream, and they start to catch glimpses of strangers among the trees, watching them. What’s more, the next day, a new group of visitors show up. And when Aaron discovers who they are, that’s when he realizes just what a twisted man his father was.

All this takes place in the early sections of the book, and I have to say I enjoyed everything up to the end of this point. The mystery of Belfountain was compelling, and the way Aaron, his mother and his sisters were brought together by Raymond Quinlan’s will was simply too irresistible not to keep reading! Was this some kind of bizarre team building exercise? Some hidden camera reality TV show? I wanted to know! And then there were the shared nightmares and the scary people in the woods, giving this book the delicious eerie vibes that I love.

I was also intrigued by the characters. While none of them were immediately likeable, on some level I understood that this was by design. The Quinlans are all flawed people, damaged by the emotionally and physically absent Raymond. Eleanor never felt like she was in a real marriage, with her husband gone more than half the time without ever telling her why. Aaron always felt like he needed to prove himself to his father, even long after it was clear the elder Quinlan didn’t care. Franny turned to drugs and became an addict. And Bridge grew up looking up to Aaron as her father figure instead. Because of this, the two of them are extremely close, even with the age difference. In fact, their special sibling bond was something that touched me deeply even from the very beginning.

But then, something happened after the first quarter of the book. All the mystery and intrigue that was painstakingly developed became lost in a confusing story that neither establishes a convincing explanation for everything that happens nor conveys much suspense or excitement. Even the character relationships became immaterial because of the so-called “answers” we were provided, and with that, the last saving grace of this novel went down the tubes. And then there was the political stuff, which was so completely irrelevant and unnecessary to the plot that it stuck out like shiny red hotpants at a funeral. I don’t mind message fiction, but when it’s so unexpectedly, blatantly, awkwardly, and NEEDLESSLY shoehorned into a story like this, it annoys the hell out of me.

Regrettably, I can’t say much more or rant about a lot more other stuff that didn’t work for me without revealing spoilers, but to sum it all up, this book just didn’t feel like it was that well thought out. There were more holes in the plot than Swiss cheese, and the ending did not provide any satisfying answers. This is the sort of novel that demands the reader to suspend their disbelief, but even for me, it was simply asking way too much. I finished this book with even more questions than I had at the beginning, but by then I confess I was feeling too disconnected to the characters or story to care much at all. It’s just too bad. The Homecoming had so much potential when it started, but sadly it failed to follow through in every way.
Profile Image for Tammie.
215 reviews55 followers
February 13, 2019
The Homecoming, a mystery thriller book, was a solid 4.5 stars.
After the family patriarch dies, his family gathers together to a remote location for the reading of the will (per his request). It is in this remote location that his family learns that they must stay there for the next 30 days to get their inheritance. The catch-no technology allowed! With millions on the line, they all reluctantly agree to stay.
The Homecoming is an incredibly creepy, original and “what the hell?!” kind of book. Potential readers should definitely avoid any spoilers-the less you know going in, the better. Highly recommend to fans of mystery thrillers and suspense books. Thank you NetGalley for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Steve Stred.
Author 65 books406 followers
June 27, 2022
**reread review! **

I've been meaning to do a re-read of 'The Homecoming' for about six months or so, but I kept putting it off. The reason being - I typically don't do much rereading because A) there's so much out there I haven't read and B) much like with movies, if I've already read/watched it then I know what will happen and it'll lose some shock and awe. But, saying all of that; A) as you may know, I have a love of Pyper's work, B) it has been three years since I've read it, so I knew I would be forgetting some aspects and C) recently, I was listening to an interview he did to promote 'The Only Child' while I was preparing to interview Andrew about that book, and at the end, the interviewer asks him what he's working on. Normally, Andrew is pretty evasive about that in interviews. I consider myself fortunate that he actually answered this exact question when I interviewed him (and now I sit and wait!), but as I said, he answered it and said he wanted to write a thriller novel with a huge twist at the end - and that was this novel, 'The Homecoming.'

Funny enough, before I dive into the review, when I read this the first time, Andrew and I had already developed a friendship, but it wasn't to the level as it is these days. So, when this came out, I missed the possibility of getting an ARC and this became an edition of his that was incredibly difficult for me to track down! The copy I do have I cherish, but crazily, the ARC for 'The Only Child' was even tougher to track down!

What I liked: The backmatter of the book uses this tag line: What if everything you knew about the people you loved was a lie? Intriguing right? And the front of the UK cover uses this lead in: One Family, One Month. All they have to do is survive. Got your attention yet?

The story follows the Quinlan's, a family whisked to a remote, fenced property in the Pacific Northwest after their absentee father has died. The reason? The reading of the will. It is here that our main character, Aaron, reunites with his older sister Franny, his mother and his younger sister, Bridge. They are brought to an enormous mansion and the scope of just how wealthy their father becomes a reality.

Pyper doesn't stop there though - the will states, that if they all remain there for thirty days, with no contact with the outside world and that they don't leave the property, they'll each split their quarter of their fathers money.

It's from here that we get Pyper utilizing two of his common story aspects; strong family dynamics and the location/environment becoming one of the main characters.

Belfountain, itself plays such a role in the 'unknown' and the ever changing aspects of what the readers believes they know that it may well be Andrew's best utilizing of location yet (The Wildfire Season and The Trade Mission pushing hard from either direction). As I mentioned in my previous review, the location reminded me so much of a massive mansion near where I grew up, The Blaylock Mansion near Nelson, BC. So much so, (and with the cover image mirroring architectural aspects of it) that this was the place I pictured this occurring at.

But, Andrew doesn't stop there. We get mysterious cabins, a strange discovery in the woods and an external threat - two characters that come to be referred to as The Tall Man and the Witch. You'd think that would end there, but no, we also get a constant description of "deja vu" and shared dreams, which all work together to create a hyperventilating chaos where the reader gets sucked in and will be struggling to keep themselves above the surface.

And then...

And then we arrive to the horrible reality of what has been happening, what the true nature of this place was and is and, I've said this before, I'm thankful to see that Andrew is willing to go there. When people ask why I love his work so much, it's this exact reason. Andrew writes like a literary behemoth, the type of prose and book narrative that lends itself to be featured on bookshelves, in airport kiosks and on the bestseller lists. The type of book that a person picks up randomly and ends up reading it before their boarding is even called, dipping back over to pick up another book from him. But, Andrew is also one of the few 'Instant Bestselling' authors out there who also is willing to have visceral, extremely violent moments and not hold anything back. When he goes there, his writing is rated R, not rated PG13 like many of the other 'dark-thriller' authors who saddle up next to his books country wide.

I wish I could tell you exactly why I love the ending of this book as much as I do, but stupid spoilers make it so I can't. What I will say is this - on my reread, I actually saw some of the subtle clues that Andrew sprinkled throughout, at one point even groaning that in my first go around, I had missed a key detail. But that's the beauty of Andrew's writing. He's a top ten new release author with a 'Where's Waldo' of extremity soaking through the pages. You know it's coming, you just need to find it before it finds you.

What I didn't like: I kind of hate rereading Andrew's work because each time I do it throws my "favorite Pyper book" list into complete disarray. 'The Homecoming' is that pop-song that gets stuck in your head and won't leave. It is rock solid and almost completely difficult to pick apart as to anything that might turn you away from it. So, in fairness to all the other books I read and offer up something here, I should do that for this book too. I wasn't a huge fan of the mom character. It makes sense when the book is done, but throughout, some of her reactions really annoyed me. And there's a character, Jerry, that'll drive you bonkers, but again, this is all purposeful. A means to an end.

Why you should buy this: Out of Andrew's last number of releases, I'd almost offer up that this book is an overlooked gem. Between 'The Damned,' 'The Only Child' and 'The Resident,' this book came out and while I saw it shared a little bit, not near as much as I did with 'The Resident' and 'Oracle' his audio-only release. 'The Homecoming' is a gripping, pedal-to-the-metal, thrill ride. This book is tailor made for you to take it camping, or to the beach or your Air BnB on your vacation and have you ignoring everything else around you. People often ask me where they should start with reading Andrew's work, and I usually say 'The Demonologist' or 'The Damned' or 'Lost Girls,' but honestly, I think it should be this one, now having finished it again. 'The Homecoming' shows Pyper's literary brilliance with his Indie-extreme badge that he wears when his big five publisher isn't looking. This will captivate you from page one until the very end and once done, you'll feel the weight of this story leave you and let you breathe again.

Well done, Andrew. Phenomenal work.
Profile Image for Toni Osborne.
1,355 reviews43 followers
December 1, 2018
“The Homecoming”, is a gripping psychological mystery and quite an intriguing puzzle that unravels before our eyes.

This is a weird story and a scary one indeed. It recounts how with their mother the Quinlans’ siblings are asked to travel to a vast remote property to hear the reading of their father’s will. There is one condition: to inherit the fortune they must stay at the estate for one month without contact with the outside world. They soon find out that the people they knew all your life have suddenly become strangers.

The 2/3 of the book reminded me of Agatha Christie’s story where she plunges people in the middle of nowhere and kills them one by one. But what differences Mr. Pype’s macabre story from those written by Ms. Christie: we do not have an equivalent of a Ms. Maple nor an Inspector Poirot to save the day. Instead we have sightings, strange happenings, lots of blood and very scary moments for the characters to endure.

This is an original horror scenario with a straightforward prose with a focus on plot and dialogue. Gripping in most part especially when the family discovers that each member has more secrets that they ever imagined and fear settles in…. This family drama turns out to be a chilling dystopian nightmare.

Mr. Pyper is a gifted storyteller with a penchant for the super creepy. He has once again concocted a darkly entrancing tale and has filled it with outstanding players.

I received this ARC from Simon & Schuster Canada via Netgalleys for my thoughts
Profile Image for Aga Durka.
199 reviews60 followers
February 9, 2019
WOW!!! Well, this was not what I expected…what a creepy, scary, unexpected, mind blowing surprise this was! I mean I knew this was going to be a thriller/suspense read, but I was not expecting all the horror scenes in it! There were times at night while reading this book when I was genuinely scared to get of the couch and walk into my kitchen! I was convinced that there was a stranger’s face peering through my window!!! So spooky!!
While reading this novel I kept remembering different movies/books from the past, where similar feelings were awaken in me…like “Blair Witch Project” movie, when the characters of this book were trailing through woods in the dark with just a little flashlight to light their path, while all the creepy creatures were lurking from behind the trees.
Or “Saw” movie where the “Jigsaw” with its scary painted face kept asking: “Do you want to play a game?” (*in a creepy Jigsaw voice*).
But in the end this book turned out to be a completely different “movie” in my head…In a League of its Own! I won’t say much about the plot itself as I think that the synopsis says it all that needs to be known before plunging head first into this story. Honestly, I hope this book will be made into a movie very soon! I think this would be one of the scarier horror/thriller movies out there, if it stays true to the book’s plot.

I want to thank NetGalley, Andrew Pyper, and Simon & Schuster for an opportunity to read an advance reader copy of this masterpiece.
Profile Image for Bookish.
568 reviews22 followers
May 9, 2019
When their absentee father dies, Aaron, Bridge and Franny Quinlan travel to his secluded property to hear the reading of his will, as they arrive they see their mother already there.

The terms of his will state they all have to stay at the property together for 30 days or they will forfeit their claim to the inheritance. After their initial disbelief and indignation they all decide to stay because 'how bad can it actually be?' and it will give them all a chance to reconnect and begin to understand each other.

The lawyer/executor of the will is a complete arsehole, arrogant and standoffish but, fortunately, not staying with them, when he leaves their 30 days begin.

There's the main lodge with a couple of bedrooms and 4 cabins scattered around, as they start to explore and decide where they want to stay for their time there, they each find 'personalised' boxes with an item for each of them. As they settle into their rooms and explore further they are chased by silent and menacing beings, giving them pause and many questions. Thinking it's all just a 'trick if their minds' they continue on with their stay.

Things only get more complicated and creepy when a new family join them. What is going on? Who are these people and why are they here?

With plenty of secrets revealed yet still many, many more questions yet to answer, we follow this twisty and turny story to uncover as much as possible and answer the overlying questions: What is going on in this secluded property? What are the beings in the woods? What does this mean for everyone?

A slow burn of a story with plenty of characters and and branches to get our teeth into. Who do we trust? Who do we connect with? How will this story end? Will I stop asking questions now?

Yes, yes I will.

*Huge thanks to Andrew Pyper, Simon and Schuster UK Fiction and NetGalley for this copy which I chose to read and all opinions are my own*
Profile Image for Mindi.
776 reviews264 followers
January 18, 2019
This book was sent to me by the author and publisher in exchange for an honest review.

It's been quite a while since I've read a book by Pyper, and now that I've read his new release I'm asking myself why it took me so long to read him again. I read The Demonologist when it was released in 2013. I feel like my method for reviewing has changed quite a bit since then, and I sort of want to revisit that book to see if I still feel the same way as I did when I wrote my original review. Honestly, I feel more compelled to read some of Pyper's other books. This one impressed me a lot.

Wow, did Pyper keep me guessing for the majority of this book. He sets it up, and then you have absolutely no idea where he is going to take you. It's crazy, and unexpected, and something that you should discover completely on your own. I would highly recommend avoiding spoilers and reviews completely. Just go into this one knowing as little as possible. This is a book that reveals information like peeling off the layers of an onion. In the beginning so many things seem to make little sense, but as you dig deeper into the story more and more is revealed until the absolutely crazy ending.

The blurb mentions family secrets, and this book is certainly packed full of secrets. After an absentee father dies, his children and wife are summoned to the reading of his will. They arrive at an enormous estate on a huge rainforest property in the Pacific Northwest. The terms of the will are clear: each family member will claim their part of the inheritance as long as they remain at the estate for 30 days without any outside contact. If you leave for any reason, you get nothing.

I read this one in two sittings, because at a certain point it was impossible to put down. It become so bizarre and inexplicable, I had to know where Pyper was taking the story. This is a page turner of a thriller with a very unexpected ending. There are even some genuinely creepy things that happen, and the horror lover in me was thrilled to be a little unsettled. This book is a wild ride, and I definitely recommend it.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 374 reviews