Start by marking “Cretaceous” as Want to Read:
Cretaceous

Cretaceous

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  104 ratings  ·  44 reviews
When a Tyrannosaurus Rex is separated from its family unit, it embarks on a harrowing journey to reunite with them before the raw, real dangers of the Cretaceous Era separate them for good. This heart-wrenching story takes to the skies and dives into the sea—and explores everywhere in between—in this research-based, fictional account written and illustrated by Tadd Galusha ...more
Published March 26th 2019 by Oni Press

To ask other readers questions about Cretaceous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cretaceous

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Cretaceous
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
Eat or be eaten. Survival of the fittest...

Life during the cretaceous period belonged to the giants at large or the smaller vicious ones stealing and vying on prey in groups.

Cetaceous opens with a T-Rex hunting in a brutal scene for the next family meal. With dangers looming in every corner and vegetation, there are always those who will try to surprise attack for the next meal.

As the reader follows this wordless graphic novel solely on illustrations, it speaks volumes about survival of the
Fran
Not a word of dialogue, but so much was said. The pages of this graphic novel are a wonderful yet extremely bloody depiction of what life could had been in the times of the terrible (deinos) lizards (saurus): the Cretaceous.

As we follow a mama T-Rex while hunting for her youngsters, we encounter triceratops bulls fighting for dominance, then being chased by a band of hungry raptors. Keeping away from the drama, Mama reaches her nest with still enough of her meaty cargo to feed all the little
Silvia
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was sent this book as an advanced copy by the publisher via NetGalley for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

If this review was a flow chart, and I asked you, "Do you like dinosaurs?" and your answer was Yes, then there'd be a handy arrow that would point you to the option "read this graphic novel".

If you've ever seen illustrations of a dinosaur and the first word out of your mouth was "COOL!!!!", then this book is for you.

Maybe I'm a little dramatic or maybe my whole childhood
♛ Garima ♛
no wordings, just amazing art to tell the story. what an amazing artwork!
Valéria.
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
They had me at "When a Tyrannosaurus...". So, this, was fucking amazing! It needed no dialogues, sentences, it is wordless, pure and brilliant and I think I am going to read it again, right now. Because, yeah. You could force me to choose in comic book store between any Batman book/Lemire's work/Saga book and Cretaceous, and I would take this without thinking. Twice. Because the dinosaurs.
It was action-packed, dark, gory, heartful, emotional - I cried a little for a few times; refreshing,
Dana-Adriana B.
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is a nice wordless comic book about the life of dinosaurs. I don't think the illustrations are for children but the story is about "Let the best win" in this big and dangerous world.
Thanks to Netgalley for this copy.
Vivienne
I have loved dinosaurs since I was a young girl and so was very excited to read this graphic novel written and illustrated by Tadd Galusha. Thank you to Oni Press for making it available via NetGalley as a ‘Read Now’. It will be released in paperback on 26 March 2019.

There is quite properly no dialogue as while fictional it is research-based, so don’t expect any anthropomorphic dinosaurs. However, there is the occasional noise illustrated with words. Sniffs and meaty crunches.

After setting the
Lukasz
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5/5

Awesome.

Cretaceous impressed me with a research-based, action-packed and heart-wrenching account of a young T-Rexseparated from its family. We follow it asit tries to make its way back to its family.

Galusha showed dinosaurs’ lives and the story through illustrations only. His story needs no words to shine, thrill or terrify. Heshows a savage life of the Cretaceous era and pulls no punches.

Hunters become hunted, predators become prey. Despite lack of dialogue, the story delivers a genuine
Etienne
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it
A wordless comic book about dinosaurs going around with their lives. There’s no really story here, more or less just dinosaurs eating and attacking each other. The illustrations were great, but I had trouble finding who the author/illustrator intend to be the readers of this book, because being wordless and basically no story you think about a younger public, but there’s scene that are kind of gore and may not be suitable for kids. So who will or should read it... I’m not sure. Did I enjoy it, ...more
Jakub Kvíz
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Without any words, Tadd Galusha managed to tell a simple yet brutal story from Jurassic times.

Beautiful art and lush colors, a must read for any fan of dinosaurs.
Václav
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed, x2019
I love dinosaurs. And I love comics. But would I love comics about dinosaurs? That's tricky. I looked forward to this comics for a long time. Now I've finally finished it. And I'm bit let down. The story is nice, there are many dinos and the art is nice too. But it didn't feel right. First, it felt overpopulated. You can't walk ten steps and not to step or bump into another dinosaur. Yes, it was a prosperous time, stable warm wet climate and stuff, but that feels more like cretaceous ZOO than ...more
Nikki
The artwork, particularly the individual dinosaurs, was really well done. My grievances with this graphic novel lie mostly in how violent the entire book is. Every few pages there is violence/blood/death and I'm just not into that. Honestly it made the book very myopic as it greatly implies the only aspect of dinosaur life is fighting/death. Well, that would make it so that they were the only species to ever exist on this planet to live in a constant state of war. Unfortunately it was obviously ...more
J.A. Ironside
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Arc provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

Rtc
Jess Smiley
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Cretaceous” is much more than just a cool-looking dinosaur-eat-dinosaur picture book—this is an exhilarating, visceral exploration of the dinosaurs, rodents, reptiles, insects, and marine life of the Cretaceous period by an expert visual storyteller. The stories of Cretaceous predators and prey are conveyed through a series of seamless cinematic transitions through immersive environments and gripping scenes that tug at the senses.

The added field guide in the back offers an informative
Robert Jones
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the NetGalley book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Honestly when I first requested this book, I didn't know what I was getting myself into. I have never read a
Kenya Starflight
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have a soft spot for dinosaurs, and one of my favorite novels of all time, Raptor Red, is told almost completely from the point of view of dinosaurs. So a graphic novel completely from the point of view of one of these ancient creatures seemed right up my alley. And for the most part, "Cretaceous" is amazing -- gorgeously drawn and epic to follow. It's not perfect, but it's still a great read.

"Cretaceous" is a wordless graphic novel (well, wordless save some onomatopoeia) whose central
Elizabeth
Cretaceous is a fascinating take on prehistoric life in the day of dinosaurs. Without using any words, Tadd Galusha weaves a story that feels immediately emotional, and genuinely painful at times.

I was under the impression when I went into this book that for some reason it was going to be kid-friendly and it definitely seems to be geared more to teens and adults (although kids who like their dinosaur stories with a bit of extra gore and feeling might find themselves enjoying this one,
Holly
Dec 02, 2018 added it
Originally posted at ragdollreads.co.uk

For the dinosaur lover in your life.

TL;DR – A superb book about living life, the dinosaur way.

Ragdoll Rating: 5/5 Buttons

Recommended For: Dinosaur fans, folks who appreciate the comics as a medium

About the Book…

Cretaceous is my best guess at the perfect use of the comics medium. The story follows a t-rex as he goes about his daily life, doing t-rex things in a t-rex way. It’s full of dinosaurs and drama and it’s super freakin’ sweet.

What I thought…

The
tony dillard jr
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cretaceous is a book that is deceptively immature. First of all, the stars of this book are all dinosaurs. Kids of all ages love dinos! Then there’s the dialogue- there is none! Other than the Onomatopœia of the T-rex’s roar and crack of a branch from a stalking raptor, there are no words in this book. Even the fact file of creatures featured in back have very few words.

If there ever was a nature documentary on dinosaurs, I would expect it to look just like Cretaceous. The events covered in this
Jason Brown (Toastx2)
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tadd Galusha’s Cretaceous: Unexpectedly heart wrenching

When I picked up an advance copy of this (March 2019 release), I grabbed it purely because my elder spawn would love it. I figured it would be good because Tadd Galusha was the driving artistic force, but I had no expectation it would be something I would be more excited about than my dino obsessed kiddo.

Cretaceous is the tale of a Tyrannosaurus Rex family. Mother and Father, hunting, get separated- causing one to be slaughtered. Infant
Holly Hughes
Anyone who knows me, knows that dinosaurs will always hold an extremely special place in my heart. They were the first real thing I fell in love with, and that love has stayed with me for over two decades. So, needless to say, when I saw this was available to read on Netgalley, I jumped!

Cretaceous is an absolute treat that explores the cycles of life and death in our prehistoric world. This is a stunning graphic novel, and takes full advantage of visual storytelling: apart from a few roars and
Paul Decker
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I received this book as an eARC from Oni Press via NetGalley.I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*

This graphic novel has no dialogue. It follows primarily a t-rex separated from their family. Other dinosaurs are also shown going through emotional experiences. There are power struggles, family dynamics, mourning, revenge, parenting, being alone, and just surviving. All during the Cretaceous period.

I give this book a 4/5. The artwork
Theediscerning
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hmmm… Wordless adventure comics featuring dinosaurs and other prehistoric beasties were rather popular back in the 1950s. So I'm a bit loathe to give something so old-hat a great rating, even if this is one of the more sustained dramas to come from the genre. Yes, the colouring is great, the design is kinetic and the sense of scale well-used, but the "pteranodon flies past my research" scenes needed a red pen taken to them, and as I say it has all been done before. I'll be generous and say 4 ...more
Emily
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gettin' all emotional over pictures of T-Rexes.

This was a beautifully illustrated, nearly wordless graphic novel. Violent, as life as a dinosaur would surely be, but it's gorgeous. The story, as far as I could tell, follows a T-Rex parent on a search for their baby after the other parent is killed in an Albertosaurus attack. But you get to see a lot of other dinos doing other dino things (usually killing and eating, tbh). Knocked off a star for the difficulty in following the plot, added a star
Hanna Yost
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it
These are stunning illustrations.

As stated, there are no words except a "burp" or a "roar" here and there. I couldn't really follow any distinct story line as there is apparently supposed to be.

I agree with other reviewers that some of the scenes might be a little graphic and scary, but as this is for the dinosaur lovers in your life, I think most young readers whose hands would latch onto it wouldn't mind! That said, I will be giving this to my nephews, age 5 and 3, who I think will love to
Savi
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

A graphic novel propelled entirely by the amazing artwork, the story is about dinosaurs and their lives. There are no words in this story which can be both a good and a bad thing. Lack of words make the comic feel flat story wise but the gorgeous art more than makes up for it.

It's a nice book to flip through purely to enjoy the artwork.
Gretchen
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pub Date: March 26, 2019

4 out of 5 Stars

My Review:

A graphic novel filled with beautiful illustrations of both land and sea dinosaurs of the cretaceous period. T-Rex, per usual, takes on the role of main character as he tried to reunite with remaining members of his family after tragedy strikes. Filled with death, birth, gore, and blood, this is not for the faint of heart. Recommended for tweens aged 9-14 who appreciate death scenes and are not disturbed by them.
PickyReader
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, my first book review of 2019! 0.0

This was a pretty great book. There was no dialogue (thank God, I'm so sick of juvenile talking animals. Talking dinosaurs? No. Please stop). Overall this plot was very sad. Don't get attached to any of the dinos in here, folks. It's a rough world in the animal kingdom.

The illustrations were outstanding. I'm researching everything else this author did because I want more!
Sabrina Ricci
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dinosaurs
An action-packed, dramatic and touching story that shows the ups and downs of life in the Cretaceous. The artwork is gorgeous and powerful, and conveys so much meaning (there's no dialogue, and no need for dialogue). The book is well researched, and depicts life for all kinds of animals, not just dinosaurs. Highly recommend!
Raven Terry
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!!!!!! I must say I’m pretty glad to have a graphic novel sans the talking animals! I love when art tells it’s own story! Galusha is truly the talented genius we do not deserve but we should be thanking all the gods that we’ve got him! I wish we could order it yesterday, that’s how amazing this is! Gorgeous work!

• A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities
  • The Field Guide to Dumb Birds of North America
  • Bone Parish Vol. 1
  • Blackbird, Vol. 1
  • Le Serpent d'eau
  • Pourquoi les filles ont mal au ventre?
  • Crowded, Vol. 1