Start by marking “Fence, Vol. 3” as Want to Read:

Fence, Vol. 3

(Fence #3)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  14,561 ratings  ·  1,924 reviews
Combines Issues #9-12.

Scrappy fencer Nicholas Cox comes to the end of his path to prove himself worthy of a father he never knew in the face of surly upperclassmen, nearly impossible odds, and the talent of his rival, sullen fencing prodigy, Seiji Katayama.

Sparks fly white-hot on the pitch as Nicholas and Seiji finally face off once again in the halls of King’s Row. It’s a
Published August 20th 2019 by BOOM! Box

To ask other readers questions about Fence, Vol. 3, please sign up.
Arden No exact one! But C.S Pacat says in Fall of next year.
Adam Stone Nope. It ends on a reveal for an upcoming storyline!

·  14,561 ratings  ·  1,924 reviews

Start your review of Fence, Vol. 3
Melanie

1.) Vol. 1 ★★★★★
2.) Vol. 2 ★★★★

I truly feel like this graphic novel series just gets better and better each installment. I feel like after I finished the last page of this volume, I felt like the story (and real angst) is just now going to be starting and I truly cannot wait. This truly has been such a purely joyous serotonin ride getting to this point, and I already can’t wait to see what happens next. And I also predict the next issues will have a much different tone, as well.

But if you don’t
chloe
my favourite volume yet :') ...more
Whitney Atkinson
May 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I feel like this is the turning point in the series for stuff to actually start happening (which is a nice way of saying the series is good but the first three volumes could've been consolidated into one) ...more
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
STILL SO GREAT.
Snjez
Ugh, I remember that cliffhanger from the first time I read this and I’m very glad that this time around I have book 4 in my hands. 😊

This was another fun sequel. I loved seeing the team members bonding and I’m looking forward to see how certain relationships will develop. And I’m not only talking about Nicholas and Seiji. Also, I love the coach and her notes on the wall. They are hilarious!

*I initially read this online as single issues #9-12.
Maryam Rz.
Nope, I’m totally not addicted to this delightfully diverse, engagingly dramatic, and adorably young adult series peppered with humour like this (see below)—whatever do you mean?

Fiiiine, who am I kidding? I totally am. The aforementioned fantastic, intense storytelling and one-of-a-kind art still prevails, but the real gem of this volume was the added depth to the characters and their bonds that ended up breaking my icy heart and healing it. I mean, I even cried, I swear!

I shall now proceed
Christy
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love these! I only wish a little more happened in each one, they're over far too soon. I can't wait to see what happens next. This one left me with a big smile on my face! ...more
Ashley Nuckles
Mar 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
ugh so good, I cry
* A Reader Obsessed *
4 Stars

The boys are finally coming together as a team instead of rivals. Looking forward to them kicking some ass!
Dave Schaafsma
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: gn-sports, gn-glbt
Okay, so the first arc is done and tryouts are over, with a resolution reminiscent of The Hunger Games (I mean the first book, where we are supposed to narrow down to one survivor, but since we care so much about more than one person. . . ). This is still good, a sports-themed manga-ish story of competition (you don't have to know anything about fencing or even care about it, really) with undercurrents of m/m attraction, it is feeling like we need to do something just a bit different in the next ...more
Larry H
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
More fencing, more drama, more suspense!

We return to Kings Row and the tryouts for the fencing team. Ever since he surprised everyone by showing up at this school rather than someplace more prestigious, everyone is expecting Seiji Katayama to make the team. But who else will join him?

Nicholas has wanted to do nothing but fence for as long as he can remember. But can his skills overcome his lack of training and technique? Will his desire to make Seiji respect him cause more friction with his sull
Emma
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The tryouts are finally over! I'm so happy for all the fencers who made the team, but especially for Nicolas and Seiji. Now it's all about training and becoming best friends. Ok, I actually hope for more than best friends, but I know it will be a long road for our two main characters. I'm going to be happy if in the next volume we get to take down that duck curtain in their room.
Can't wait to read more!!
Calista
Finally, it took 3 volumes, but they picked the members of the fencing team. It happened at the end of the volume. The end of the rounds were the beginning of the volume. It probably won’t happen, but I think there are sparks between Seiji and Nicholas. We’ll see if something happens.

This series is giving me everything I want. I wish they came out quicker and we didn’t have to wait so long. It’s a great series. I can’t believe how small the fencing team is. Only 3 people with a backup. That seem
Bibi
Jul 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, comixology
This series is free to read with a 7 or 30 day free ComiXology subscription on Amazon US.
Isabella
Honestly if I were invested with these characters this easily would’ve been 5 stars but I think the more graphic novels I read, the more my expectations do as well >.<

I still really enjoyed this volume, definitely my favorite out of the three, and will probably continue reading (virtually!) because it’s still a very fun, lighthearted novel :”)
˗ˏˋ lia ˎˊ˗
“this is what it feels like to have your dreams go up in smoke.”

april 2022:
i’ve seen someone else say in their review that this is where the series shifts and becomes more plot-based, and i totally agree. rereading through all them so i can finally get to vol. 4 made me realize that this is definitely my favorite volume out of the three so far, because you can really see their friendships blossom. so pure, ugh, i love them.

november 2019:
there’s not much to add to my reviews of the previous vo
winnie ʚïɞ
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
reread april 2021; four stars! ❀ this might be my favorite volume so far!

four stars ∗ i absolutely love this graphic novel series with my whole heart!!!
Drew's ambitious reading
Recently re-read this graphic novel so I can read volume 4 and so today's the day that I will read volume 4!(: ...more
Katie Colson
Sep 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I love how sharp and soft this is at the same time. They are competing so hard against each other. Like, it keeps them up at night. It is all they think about. But they also have a grudging respect for each other and appreciate the other's determination and will power.
I eat that shit up.
These boys are all hot and funny and fun in different ways. It's like a game where there's 6 different love interests you get to chose from. But instead, you are watching them all be in love with each other. Fan
Reading_ Tamishly
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*that is what I say spicy 💜
♡ Dakota ♡ (Sarcasm is my middle name)
★★★★★ — 5 Stars!

I absolutely adored this volume. It was probably my favorite of the three volumes. It was nice to see the building of friendships and the tensions of who was going to make the team. And that ending though!
Maryam
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
this is my favorite so far!! i admit it got me a little emotional🥺these characters are so cute!! but that ending tho👌🏻😦
i want more😩😩
Arunimaa
(〒﹏〒) need the new volume right now (〒﹏〒)
Erica ♋️✨

Ulises Estrada
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, comics
4.5 Stars
First of all, what need do they have to finish the story like this when they still don't give a date of when the continuation will come out?

The story continues to improve, the evolution of the characters begins to notice after these 3 volumes, although there are still many things to be discovered, the tryouts are finally over and it seems that the best is yet to come...
So it is frustrating to want to continue a story that you like, and you only know that it will come out in fall of ne
Zack Jay
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
is it bad that I ship Harvard and Aiden together 💀 anyways I love the graphics and the story is great! I can't wait for more volumes to come out because that cliffhanger is killing me ...more
alex (hiatus)
Jul 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
PLEASE TELL ME THERES GONNA BE ANOTHER VOLUME

OH WAIT THERE IS I’m OKAY
Althea ☾
Mar 03, 2022 rated it really liked it
THEY'RE SO ADORABLE AND I AM SOFT.

this is a reread, i just marked the chapters individually before instead of the volume lmao

— 3.5 —
Tricia Levenseller
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
This just keeps getting better and better. I’m dying for the drama sure to be found in volume 4!

• Striking Distance (Fence, #1)
  • Disarmed (Fence #2)
  • Check, Please! Book 1: #Hockey (Check, Please!, #1-2)
  • Check, Please! Book 2: Sticks & Scones (Check, Please!, #3-4)
  • Bloom
  • Mooncakes
  • The Tea Dragon Festival (Tea Dragon, #2)
  • The Girl from the Sea
  • The Tea Dragon Society (Tea Dragon, #1)
  • Princess Princess Ever After
  • The Backstagers, Vol. 1: Rebels Without Applause
  • The Prince and the Dressmaker
  • Icebreaker
  • Heartstopper: Volume Four (Heartstopper, #4)
  • The Tea Dragon Tapestry (Tea Dragon, #3)
  • Chef's Kiss
  • Heavy Vinyl, Vol. 1: Riot on the Radio
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
See top shelves…
C.S. Pacat is the USA-Today best-selling author of Dark Rise, the Captive Prince trilogy, and the GLAAD-nominated graphic novels Fence.

Born in Australia and educated at the University of Melbourne, C.S. Pacat has lived in a number of cities, including Tokyo and Perugia, and currently resides and writes in Melbourne.

Fence (5 books)
  • Fence, Vol. 1
  • Fence, Vol. 2
  • Fence, Vol. 4: Rivals
  • Fence, Vol. 5: Rise

Articles featuring this book

Want to encourage young readers to keep up their reading habits? Look no further than this year's buzziest YA and middle-grade graphic...
“I don’t need a makeover. I have amazing fashion sense.”
“Wearing black jeans and a black tank top all the time?”
“I wear other things!”
“Like what?”
“Sometimes I wear a black t-shirt.”
1 likes