Start by marking “Iron: Or the War After” as Want to Read:
Iron: Or the War After

Iron: Or the War After

It is the aftermath of a long war, in a world of constant winter.

When an intelligence spy from the Resistance — the rabbit, Hardin — steals secret information from a military base of the Regime, his actions set off a chain of events that reverberates through the ranks of both sides, touching everyone from the highest-ranking officials to the smallest orphaned child. When
Published February 5th 2019 by Archaia (first published April 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Iron, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iron

karen

this is another somber tale told with animals. it is not whimsical and lighthearted; it is more like Duncan the Wonder Dog: Show One and Each Day a Small Victory, where the animals are as far from disney as you could imagine.

photo DSC08587_zps878b1e25.jpg

this story is not as mindblowingly good as duncan, but the artwork is similar, in that is is black and white and pretty badass, and to someone who has been told they have a shitty eye for art, that is enough to meld them together in my mind. but i know a LOT about art - i c
Debbie Zapata
Jun 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eyesome
The outside of this book is beautiful: gold and black designs stamped on a red cloth cover. And on the inside the drawings perfectly match not only setting of the story (an unnamed land of constant Winter) but the mood as well. Somber drawings in muted shades of grey, blue and black work better for this unusual war...or after war....tale than vivid colors would have. And the characters drawn with animal heads but human bodies give the book an exotic flavor that makes it more interesting than if ...more
Jessica
Sep 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT I JUST READ?! I think I'm semi-intelligent but this abstract concept idea just blew me out of the water---

Speaking of blowing things up---this book had the recipe for an effective novel: art, mood, characters, themes: (espionage, war, survivors, rebels, terrorist attacks, BOMBS, & CHILDREN. I'm just not sure when it was all mixed together it did not formulate into anything but a sense of "Should I read this again?" or "Did I not pick up on the little details?" "Are
Skye Kilaen
Gripping graphic novel that examines the costs of war, starting with the theft of secret information by a resistance fighter. The ramifications of that theft spill out and touch many lives, even those who aren't on a "side," if the sides here even mean anything given how destructive their war is - and given that Vidaurri is much more interested in the effects of the war than in the particulars of how it started and supposedly ended, but continues to hurt people even still. It's tense at times, a ...more
Alex
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american-indies
The story was somewhat intriguing, taking place after a civil war parallel in epoch to WWII. A resistance fighter steals secret documents from the opressive Regime, the theft itself acting as a decoy to a planned bombing of a important bridge connecting the regime's military and supplementation bases.

The minimal drawing style uses black and white with heavy shadows to emphasize on the grimness of war and it's aftermath discussing ideals, patriotism, sacrifice, "the end justifies the means" ment
Joey Dhaumya
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
NOTE - Minor spoilers up ahead.

Before I review the book itself, I want to write a little about the graphic novel as a literary form. Now I don't mean to set to set myself up as a formalist pedagogue, because I'm not, please believe me (pliz), but the creative latitude that a graphic novel can give to it's author +/ illustrator differs greatly from that available through prose, poetry, epistolary etc. forms of writing. The imagery that the written word attempts to form in your mind is where a gra
Syahira
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“IN A WORLD OF CONSTANT WINTER… When an intelligence spy from the Resistance-the rabbit, Hardin-steals secret information from a military base of the Regime, his actions set off a chain of events that reverberates through the ranks of both sides, touching everyone from the highest-ranking official to the smallest orphaned child. When the snow finally settles, who will be the true patriot and who the true traitor?”

The heart wrenching blurb caught my eye while the cover of anthropomorphized rabbit
Jack Stark
The artwork is stunning, but unfortunately this falls down in every other area. The plot is slow and boring. I think there may have been some deeper, social justice message here that I just couldn’t find. The story is a little too reliant on the anthropomorphised animals. I couldn’t get invested in the characters. The dialogue is contrived and clunky - nothing really flows well. I was bored from about 5 pages in and remained bored to the end. Not for me.

Anyway, I’m off to sign up to a top secre
Nick
It's hard to explain why this is both realistic fiction and fantasy without at least a few spoilers, but to me, one of the questions was whether this was a story taking place in a world with talking animals, or a story in which talking animals replaced people in terms of visual imagery. Weirdly, it's more interesting if it's the latter, but also less convincing.
The never-ending winter is never explained, and neither are certain other oddities, again suggesting fantasy, but one just isn't sure.
St
Matthew Galloway
Another incredibly sad war novel. The illustrations are charming, which clashes mightily with the subject matter. I do wish that one particular letter's content had actually been demonstrated during the tale.
Harry
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Each page of "Iron" is a sombre reflection of desperate times. The story is grim and dreamy, supported beautifully by the moody artwork. There are few expected elements - no sound effects, a changing narrative, and characters that are far more complex than their dialogue is. I would love to see more of this world.
Naomi Ruth
I loved the artwork. I kept petting the pages, they just looked so soft.

I don't usually like stories told through animals (I generally loathe them entirely, outside of Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nihm) but I think it really worked well.

I liked it. I liked it a lot.
Andy
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, graphic-novels, spx
Complex tale of the aftermath of war and the people (actually anthropomorphic animals) caught up in the intricacies of espionage resulting from war. The art is absolutely stunning and the story challenging in its minimalism. This is a story to come back to and savor again and again.
Hannah Givens
It's very aesthetic, but not as good as the hype (several years old now) led me to believe it would be. I found it kind of confusing, I never managed to keep track of which characters were which, so I think I lost some of the impact. It's still got at least one incredibly sad reveal though.
Cassie
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic
Intense reas, kepft hoping for more development tho.
Matt
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little hard to distinguish who was who in the beginning but it was a pretty solid story and I liked the art.
Rachel
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully drawn, mysterious and heart breaking.
Mary
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this graphic novel. I loved the artwork and the story.
Jonan Grobler
Beautiful art, but abysmal writing.
Ricardo
shit, that was grim.
John W
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4-stars by virtue of the beautiful art in this book alone, the plot is interesting, but the execution is a solid 3-stars.
Jeremy
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The art for this was beautiful. Although the story felt outdated at points, I still feel hellishly attached and wished it was longer than just one volume.
Jen
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good story with absolutely wonderful art
ray-chel ♥
The plot line was dry and sad. The artwork won me over. So beautiful.
Pamela Huxtable
May 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Beautiful artwork, but the story eluded me.
T.J.
Apr 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Stunning art. Somewhat skimpy story.
Heather
Art is beautiful, but I had some trouble following the story.
Ted
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
A pretentious read saved by its artwork.
Calvin Daniels
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic art. A sad story of war, revolution, and the victims of such affairs. Very well done.
Adam
Mar 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Texturally excellent--not only in the art, but in the overall tone. Unfortunately, the plot never quite rise as high as you want. Formal excellence, that is, outstrips the substance.

« previous 1 3 next »

• Grandville (Grandville #1)
  • The Tiger (Love, #1)