Start by marking “A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities” as Want to Read:
A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities

A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities

In this quick and easy guide to queer and trans identities, cartoonists Mady G and JR Zuckerberg guide you through the basics of the LGBT+ world! Covering essential topics like sexuality, gender identity, coming out, and navigating relationships, this guide explains the spectrum of human experience through informative comics, interviews, worksheets, and imaginative example ...more
Expected publication: April 23rd 2019 by Limerence Press

MissBecka
Thank you NetGalley and Oni Press for this DRC.

"The world is home to such a vibrant rainbow of people, so why not genders."

This is filled with wonderful, informative and easy to digest information.
I did think it was geared more to teens/adults and younger people may need help reading and understanding all the details discussed. That's not necessarily a bad thing since it would hopefully spark conversation/questions.
They really touched on a bit of everything, including signs of toxic relationship
Divine
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERY ONE
Edit: 12/18/18
So, Miss Pihilippines was crowned Miss Universe 2018 and we Filipinos are quite proud of her! But there is also a lot of transmisogyny (pertaining to Ms. Spain , Angela Ponce who is a transwoman) spreading especially in my OWN country because most of them failed to acknowledge that trans women ARE INDEED women as well. And I realized that this graphic novel that I read on 12/06/18 holds more relevance now that transphobia is leeching its toxic fumes in social media.

An online artic
Alexa
I received an ARC through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Isn’t that cover amazing and beautiful? Yes, it is!

This graphic novel, as the title says, is all about explaining queer identity. It sort of focuses on transgender and nonbinary people, but it has more general sections on gender identity vs romantic/sexual orientation, a section on coming out, discussions of self-love, and even a section on red flags in relationships.

I didn’t expect to learn anything new from this booklet, and
Bruna Miranda
The title says it all! It actually IS a quick and easy guide to all identities, sexual orientations, romantic orientations and all things queer. If anyone ever says "this book is not for me because I am [insert anything here]", they are lying because this reflects on how having their identity acknowledged and valued is about EVERYONE.
This book is part of the road to become a better human by having empathy and respecting others, just like that. The writing is very simple and easy to follow so I t
Dora  (Swift Coffee Book Blog)
I was very interested in this book, because I have to admit that I lack some information on the subject. I'd like to be, and I'm far from bigoted (so is most of my closer environment), but the LGBTQ+ community here is way more closed up here than in e.g. the U.S. I know there are people that make their life harder everywhere in the world, but here it's very much a taboo. Mostly people simply don't talk about it at all. Sure, gay, lesbian, trans are all part of the everyday language people use, a ...more
This is a story, told by a snail, to explain, in simple terms, queerness and transexuality.

But, I think the most important part of this whole story is this statement the snail makes.

Every person is worthwhile and valuable in their own way and if you are able to make some sort of peace with yourself while on your transitional journey that will definitely ease the burden.

aevery person is wrothwhiel and avaluable in their own way and if youa re able to make some sort of peace with yourself while on your transitional journey that will defently ease the burden.

Because, that is what it is all about. Really. We are all worthwhile, in our own ways, and we just are trying to make peace with
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute, informative, and exactly as described!
Princess
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I certainly learned a lot from this book! The cute and charming art style helps in discussing such an intimidating topic.

The book embraces the fluidity of gender and queerness as a concept and defines how self-identification is still the basis of any classification. Labels are fine as long as they are self labels and helps the individual be more comfortable and self confident in his/her own skin.

It successfully differentiates sexuality vs gender and introduces the concept of an infinite number
Julie
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I found the book both entertaining and inspiring. It had a great knowledge and focus on the Queer/Trans community, and taught me, as an outsider, a good amount of things I didn't already know.
I can imagine this would be a book that could help a lot of people accepting themselves or others, and it is made in a cute and fun way so it is easier to read than most other non fiction LGBTGIA books I have read. I wasn't a huge fan of the art in it, it was a bit too trippy for the theme, but the idea is
McKinlay Dennis
*I received this from netgalley and the publisher, this does not affect my review.*

Honestly, I like to consider myself pretty knowledgable about the LGBTQ+ communities but this still taught me a lot. Nonbinary folks are definitely the area I knew the least about and now I feel like I know more. I also learned a lot about Asexuality! Highly recommend this if you're curious to know more about the queer community. I also think this should be in every library and classroom!
Stephanie
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, arcs, important
A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities by Mady G is a rather clever way to educate those who may be unsure about where they fit themselves in terms of how they feel as well as to educate those around the people of the LGBTQ community. Using snails and a varying array of illustrations from people to a fun little creature called a sproutling to take readers along on a journey to discover more about the people with these identities, this book is chalk full of fun and informative s ...more
Claire
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
I'm a lover of all things queer (surprise I'm also queer), and tbh I'm really shocked I didn't like this book. And I really loved the first in this series about They/Them pronouns! But not this.

I'll start out by saying: when I see "queer & trans identities", I am thinking of content about transgender and genderqueer, non-binary, & gender nonconforming folks. That's what I thought this book would be about walking into reading it.

I think this is a case of the author not knowing what their
Holly
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted at ragdollreads.co.uk

The book I wish I’d had a decade ago.

TL;DR – A cute, fun tour through the world of queerness

Ragdoll Rating: 5/5 Buttons

Recommended For: Everyone. Especially anybody questions or recently out.

About the Book…

This book is very brief, but very informative tour through the world of identities, labels and relationships. The comics focus on the wisdom of a snail, who teaches a bunch of snail buddies about all the beautiful humans.

The book is broken into sections,
Lara Lillibridge
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What I loved:
This is a quick and easy primer that would be perfect for teens and adults. I don't think any of the material is presented in an inappropriate way for younger audiences, but the vocabulary might be a little tough for younger readers, e.g. words like narcissism might not be readily understandable to middle grade readers. The drawings are delightful and don't distract. The book has a positive message of loving yourself and extra stars for discussing healthy relationships and signs of
Siobhán
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I received an ARC of this comic via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks for the free comic that I enjoyed a lot.*

This "Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities" reminded me of "Queer - a graphic history" (Barker & Scheele), yet it takes a less scholarly approach to the diverse topic. The drawings are pinkish and blueish, sometimes a bit over the top, but I liked it.

The guide is meant to be read by both allies and persons seeking to learn more about their identi
Bailey
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a book I wish I could've handed to a younger version of myself. In this beautifully illustrated graphic novel queer identities of all varieties are explored by our narrator, a snail. It is clear that this book was made to be accessible to younger readers, but I would recommend it to anyone looking to learn more about identities beyond their own, those trying to figure out what identity suits them, and allies trying to educate themselves.

Other reviewers have critiqued the fact that a book
Shelby
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored this book. The colors were amazing in the illustrations and just really intrigued me even more. Overall, the written content was amazingly written. It is something that younger people need to hear, and to be honest so older people I know would do well reading this as well. I think it is super educational and helped me learn a lot. It has a lot of useful information for people who may be questioning or don't know what the next step would be, and I think it's something young LG ...more
Elizabeth
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a really cute and accessible book for those looking to understand trans and queer identities. The story is framed that a group of snails comes upon a camp circle where another snail, the pet of the queer educator Bowery, lets the other snails know all about trans and queer identities. One snail encounters a group of creatures called sproutlings, and their stories reinforce the concepts and ideas talked about in the previous chapter. The illustrations are really cute, and the text is very ...more
Marjo
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
i requested an arc of this on netgalley in exchange for an honest review

this non-fiction book was a joy to read! it's very short and easy to read, with lots of art included as well! i really like how it aimed at making queer teens reading it feel more accepted and help them understand the lgbtqia+ community and give advice on things they might be dealing with, instead of educating non-queer people (which is also important and what a lot of other books do, but it can often feel really alienating
Paul Decker
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*I received this book as an eARC from Oni Press & Limerence Press via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

This is a fun, informative graphic novel about queer and trans identities. The information is distributed through a snail teaching other snails about humans. Topics cover sexuality, gender identity, gender expression, relationship basics, dysphoria, asexuality, and more. There are personal examples from a friend's life. Interspersed is an adorable story about Sproutling, a group o
Tara
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As it says on the tin this is a quick and easy guide. It's bright and colourful and give lots of advise and explanations in a clear concise way,some helpful sections on recognising toxic relationships , giving yourself time to learn, time to enjoy your own company and self. It was really practical and supportive. It would be Good if this book was free for everyone in schools, libraries even to help people understand and also ask questions , a great start to helping people learn empathy and pract ...more
Jaclyn Hillis
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Iggy the Snail takes us through a beautiful journey answering the most popular questions about the LGBTQ community. It is beautifully illustrated and very well-written. I highly recommend this quick and easy guide for those wanting to educate themselves on this community, or for anyone in this community that may need guidance.

Thank you NetGalley for providing me with an advanced copy of this in exchange for an honest review.
إيمان❤︎
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
This book is very important and a must-read. It is both useful, educative AND lovely, as it sends out feelings of comfort and confirmation.

A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities delivers what it promises. it touches on varying subjects: from sexuality and gender to healthy relationships and coming out, all in simple terms and a well-explained manner.

The colors were vibrant, the dialogues meaningful, and the way everything was handled was spot-on.
Sophie
We need so many more books like this one. It was so important, at the same time simple and educative, everyone can learn so much just by reading it. It can be for people who don't know a thing about queer stuff, or people who want to know more because it concerns them. I think every single person should read this book, everything is explained clearly with nice graphics to go along.
Nessa [October Tune]
The fact that there was a whole chapter dedicated to asexual people made me very, very happy!
Harker
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Whether you're a member of the LGBTQIA+ community, someone who has a family member and/or friend who is, or you're simply curious about queer & trans identities, A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities is a super useful and accessible title. It covers not just identities you may have heard of before, but more within the spectrum of queerness, a facet that is helpful not only for people seeking information out of interest, but for those that may still be questioning their own ...more
Louise
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This and other reviews can be found here.

Many thanks to Netgalley and the Publisher for an E-Advanced Reader Copy of this comic. I was given this in exchange for a fair review.

A Quick and Easy Guide to Queer and Trans Identities written by J.R. Zuckerberg, illustrated by Mady G, is exactly what it advertises. It is indeed an easy guide to Queer and Trans Identities. Mady’s illustrations add cuteness and spunk to an otherwise hard topics. Zuckerberg’s writing complements the illustrations wonderf
Adjectiveplusnoun
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a free ARC of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review, and after a considerable amount of confusion, two conversations with kindle support, and a lot of frustration, I realised that this book would not display on my phone, and eventually figured out how to get it onto my computer so I could read it (it all ended up being included in an FAQ post by NetGalley, so the mistake was mine all along) I then proceeded to read it in one sitting, and enjoy it very much.

I have fo
Tati Dengo
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sequentials, lgbtqia
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Everything I know about trans people is thanks to a friend who had an angelic level of patience to explain it all to me. I cringe to think of the ignorant things I asked her back then. For this, I hold her in very high regard, especially since learning of how unfair and emotionally exhausting it is to have to explain your existence to someone.

So I picked this book up wondering if it would have helped to educate me back then, instead of asking m
Crimson
I received an e-arc of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

I downloaded this book for a couple of reasons. One, I really liked the cover. Two, it was about a topic I was interested in learning more about, and three, the title was in the same format as A Quick & Easy Guide to They/Them Pronouns by Archie Bongiovanni and Tristan Jimerson, which was a book I really liked. I had high hopes for this book and it blew me away!

While I found this book to be rather wordy, I also fe
« previous 1 3 4 next »