Start by marking “The Long Con” as Want to Read:
The Long Con

The Long Con

The world is over, but the con has just begun. Five years ago, a cataclysmic event obliterated everything within a fifty mile radius of the Los Spinoza Convention Center—right in the middle of Long Con, the world's biggest (and longest) pop culture convention. Underdog reporter Victor Lai barely escaped with his life, but his nerdy friend Dez Delaney—publicist for an indie ...more
Published February 12th 2019 by Oni Press

To ask other readers questions about The Long Con, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Long Con

Chad
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, 2019-netgalley
I had a lot of fun with this. Some kind of cataclysmic event happened around the world's biggest pop culture convention 5 years ago and the con just never ended. I loved how the different pop culture fans eventually peel off into various tribes. Everything inside the con has kind of devolved into Mad Max levels while the humor has a definite Galaxy Quest type vibe. I really enjoyed this and look forward to reading the rest of the story.

Received a review copy from Oni and NetGalley. All thought/>Received
Diane Hernandez
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Jump into nerd culture with the Long Con.

The Long Con is the longest pop culture convention. It appears the Convention caused the apocalypse five years previously. Since he survived the Convention’s destruction, reporter Victor is given the assignment to find out what happened.

Slipping back and forth between the post-apocalyptic present and the pre-apocalyptic past, the plot is interesting and includes many details about conventions. I wish that the characterizations were more flesh
Devann
I received an ARC copy of this book from NetGalley

This is maybe more of a 3.5 rounded up but it was pretty fun and I'm definitely interested in seeing what happens next. I feel like it might be sort of a niche title in that you probably need to be pretty into fandom and have been to some kind of convention before to really relate to the whole thing, but I think it's a really great take on the classic post-apocalyptic genre using nerd culture as a structure and also a pretty good commentary on ga
Mehsi
I received this graphic novel from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

I just couldn’t resist. Cons? Apocalypse? A reporter who survived but lost his friend? And a trip back to that very same con, which is pretty hard to do, to find out what is going on and if anything is still there? Um, sign me up!

I am writing this one while I am reading, so I am sorry if it is a tad confusing.

I loved how the book started off at fences of where the destruction to place
Jaime
content warnings: violence, mentions of cannibalism
representation: vietnamese-american main character, black side character, minor characters of colour

As a nerd, this was a lot of fun to read. The story is set five years after the apocalypse and follows Victor, a reporter who has just been given a seemingly impossible assignment: go back to Long Con, the convention centre where the apocalypse originally broke out. Many apocalyptic shenanigans ensue.

This book transitions between Victor/>
Václav
Aug 10, 2019 rated it liked it
What if the world's biggest (and longest) pop culture convention got stuck in the apocalyptic setting? Let's find out. During the Long Con some cataclysm happened and the Los Spinoza Convention Center, as the centre of fifty-mile radius no-go zone, got stranded for five years from the rest of the world. The World thinks that all attendants of the con are dead, and the surviving attendants have convinced themselves that the rest of the world is a wasteland with roaming zombies. So after five year ...more
Nore
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This has a really great concept, and I enjoyed the art, but I had an issue with this that I've had with other nerdy media before: Horrifying, overt violence is played off throughout the volume with a sort of lighthearted, joking tone that I have always found offputting. (That scene in Zombieland where a woman is ejected from a car and becomes a meat crayon? I left the room while my friends laughed. I just can't do it, man! I guess I'm too soft-hearted :( )

I wasn't particularly attach
Rebecca
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This was really good. I've never been to a convention because of a lack of friends and an abundance of social anxiety so I can't say how accurate it is to the reality of going to a con but it seemed like this is how it would be? (except this con does take place at the end of the world as we know it and lasts for 5 years, and I don't think that's a normal occurrence) but I still really enjoyed it and all
Dale
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Published by Oni Press in February of 2019.

The phrase The Long Con has a double meaning this story. Traditionally, a "long con" is a long-term swindle that is being pulled on someone, like a long-term investment fraud.

Meaning #1: In this graphic novel, The Long Con is the biggest Pop Culture Convention in the world. It has been an annual event for 50 years and it lasts a long time. Five years ago, it was location of ground zero of a horrible (unspecified) "cataclysmic event" that
Theediscerning
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
There's quite a decent amount of genre fun to be had here. Our lowly journalist hero, stuck as he is in the outside world post-apocalypse, is sent back to that particular ground zero, which just happened to be a comicon he'd initially tried to cover for an article. Meanwhile, for the last five years, those in the comicon arena have mutated into flesh-eaters, played out their worst tie-in issues in the cosplay halls, separated into indie vs glossy pulp factions (amongst many), and argued the toss ...more
Heli
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
The premise of this story is really great. Five years ago the world ended. The Long Con has been going strong ever since. Victor the reporter was there when it happened, but managed to get out. Now five years later he's back. We don't know exactly what happened five years ago. Everything you could think happening in a dystopian future is happening. We go back and forth in time and see what's going on in the lives of these characters.
It's a funny story. Illustrations are good and I liked th
Amanda
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness, I absolutely ADORED this book. While reading I constantly kept bothering my boyfriend to read bits I found extra hilarious and/or relevant to our congoing experience. The worldbuilding was top notch, and the illustrations were a hoot - I loved matching the past bits to their post-apocalyptic state in the present panels! I dragged out reading this as long as I could just to make it last and will definitely be seeking out future issues on my own. Highly, highly recommended!

I recei
Sibonguthando
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
ARC Review: Received for free via Netgalley for an honest review

It's like: What would happen if the world ended during Comic Con.

I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected I would. It's funny, which I liked.

I think the one thing that kind of bothered me, although it it didn't put me off, was the time jumps (though I liked the titles).

Either way, I really liked this and can't wait for more!
Kristin Lansdown
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you’re a fan of nerd culture this is definitely for you. An apocalyptic catastrophic of a never described nature happens and the area around the convention has been quarantined but the con never stopped! It’s been five years and folks have been living in the convention center, cosplay has devolved into real life roles, food is hard to come by except for hot dog carts. It’s madness! And a fun title with my favorite style of art (idk what it’s called by Oni Press always gives it to me).
McKinlay Dennis
*I received a copy of this book from netgalley and the publisher. This does not affect my review.*

[3.5 stars] This was a bit weird if I'm being honest. But I felt like it was sort of a commentary on gate-keeping in fandoms, while also being a fun and quirky romp through an apocalypse story. It ended very abruptly though. I'd like to read more, which I guess says something about the story. Hopefully the series keeps going.
Lizzbert
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This has been a really enjoyable book, and because of the range of characters you meet--the unflappable pro, the convention newbie, the various hard-core convention-goers--it's really a welcoming book to all, whether you're contemplating going to your first convention or you've been to/worked WAY TOO MANY. It's delightful.
Destiny Henderson
Extremely quirky with excellent artwork! think if I were more familiar with cons all the references would probably make me smile. The premise built on fanboy/girl nerd culture is fun. I liked Destiny, and I'm not being biased. But I'm not interestes in reading another volume.

2.5
Tabrizia Jones
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am not a big fan of science fiction or comic book conventions but I was able to appreciate the humor and the absurdity of this world that was created. This is for the fans that wish that the comic books conventions never end.
Scott Rowland
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hysterical satire of a Comics/SF convention 5 years after an apocalyptic event. Lively cartoony art complements the engaging story. Recommended for fans of pop culture.
Matthew Archibald
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this. I'm going to read Volume 2 when it comes out.
Audrey
Oct 16, 2019 rated it liked it
the level of meta-nerdiness in this book was... staggering
ZepysGirl
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, scifi, library
A bunch of not-very-funny convention jokes and not much else.
David
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Silly, funny and enjoyable. Wonderfully expressive art and a ridiculously great premise.
Lisa
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Enjoyed this !
Colleen
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Are you telling me some kind of civilization's still out there? The authorities here told us that surface world was overrun with fast zombies disguised as first responders.
Molly