Start by marking “Vultures (Miriam Black, #6)” as Want to Read:
Vultures (Miriam Black, #6)

Vultures

(Miriam Black #6)

In the sixth and final thriller of the Miriam Black series, Miriam tries to break the curse of her powers, but first she must face The Trespasser a final time.

Still reeling from the events of The Raptor and the Wren, Miriam must confront two terrifying discoveries: the Trespasser now has the power to inhabit the living as well as the dead, and Miriam is pregnant.

Miriam
Published January 22nd 2019 by Saga Press

To ask other readers questions about Vultures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vultures

Start your review of Vultures (Miriam Black, #6)
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2019/01/21/...

And so, it’s over. After six books, Miriam Black has her conclusion, and I’m trying to deal with a lot of different thoughts and feelings all competing for my attention. Obviously, there’s elation, because all in all, it was a good finale. And of course, there’s pain and sadness too, knowing that a favorite series of mine for years has finally come to an end. However, there were also plenty of disappointments, and I find
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Sitting here in front of my laptop after just finishing the sixth and final book in the Miriam Black series and I'm experiencing a mixed bag of emotions.
First, I've said this countless times all over social media but I'd like it to be officially on the record:
The Miriam Black series is one of my top 3 book series.
In no particular order: The Dark Tower series by Stephen King, A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin and this series by Chuck Wendig.

And last books are so hard aren't they?
I got
Holly (The Grimdragon)
"Miriam is bound to an exam table. She is clothed. Her feet are in stirrups, bound there with a cruel swaddling of duct tape, the ankles elevated above her head. Her hands are fixed to a set of bedrails, also with tape--so much tape, it bulges, like a nodule, a tumor. Her arm, where the bullet cut through her, is already starting to heal up.

(And it itches something fierce. As if the injury is stuffed with crawling ants struggling to dig a colony in the meat of her body.)"

Well, here we are. All
Josh
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read_2019, own, horror
"Everyone dies around me". Her very presence is like a taste of slow poison. She's radioactive; a walking, talking, singing, dancing slice of Chernobyl.

Chuck Wendig sure knows how to mess with his readers emotions. The conclusion of the Miriam Black series is satisfying and loaded with tantalizingly tasty twists, especially as the curtain closes on Miriam Blacks' continually dark chapter.

The Trespasser, Gabby, Louis/Not-Louis, Wren, Miriam's curse; it all comes to a close here as Miriam
Steven
While the previous entry wasn't my favorite of the series, this entry stepped back up to being more along the same lines as the rest of the series... which is good, because this is the very last one!

Miriam Black's story has reached its conclusion, and honestly, I think Wendig did a great job tying up some loose ends. I'm still kind of bitter about a big loss from the last book, but at least this book provides some not-quite-as-good copy of what I wanted to happen with someone else. (Can't say
Brandon
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, 2019, favorites, fiction
With Vultures, Wendig takes the entirety of his six book saga and culminates it with a high-stakes chase against fate. We pick up with Miriam after the catastrophic events of The Raptor and The Wren. Newly pregnant and on the run, Miriam is getting ready for a final showdown with her tormentor, The Trespasser. However, it still has a few tricks up its sleeves, what with being able to possess people and making them do very bad things. Miriam needs a way to circumvent her destiny and she needs ...more
Sjgomzi
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-list-2019
A spectacular and perfect ending to one of my favorite series. Chuck Wendig saved the best for last. I was on the edge of my seat till the very end, and a tear or two may have been shed. :) loved it!
Mindi
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read the first book Blackbirds in the Miriam Black series in 2017. I was instantly in love with Miriam and hooked on her story. That book was originally published in 2012, so I was late to the party. My friend Sadie (@mother.horror) was absolutely raving about it, so I knew I needed to pick it up. Two years and six books later, Miriam's story has come to an end in Vultures. I was both sad and incredibly eager to read this book. And I'm so happy to say that Wendig gave Miriam the perfect ...more
Skip
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, horror
For anyone who has not read the Miriam Black series, it's pretty wacky and wonderful, but don't start with Vultures as there are too many backstories to understand context. Miraculously, Miriam is pregnant despite a womb that was wrecked in a teenage miscarriage. But, her lover Louis is dead, killed by Wren, a rescued victim of a serial killer from an earlier book, who was possessed by the evil tormentor, The Trespasser. At the heart of the book is Miriam's continued attempts to free herself of ...more
Emily
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"We're both as good as we can be, and as bad as we are."

The Miriam Black series has ended. If you haven't read these books yet, you are seriously missing out. This series is so damn entertaining, and Chuck Wendig wrapped it up well. I was anxious and excited to get into this book, and I'm happy that I enjoyed it.

Miriam is one of my favorite characters ever, I loved seeing her change and grow. I appreciate that Chuck was able to maintain her essence for 6 character-focused books, and write
Steve
Sad to get to the end of this series!
Soo
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
*Need to Review

Notes:
Lots of great stuff about pregnancy.
Lots of cool & bizarre events per normal.
Floppy Ta Da?

I'm not sure how I feel about the way it all comes down in the end. It's either a 3.5 or 4 star book.
Hacen
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual Rating: 4.5
Sheela Kean
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you sir for the wild ride that is Miriam Black. I was so nervous and excited going into this one, as the series can be so unpredictable. I do believe he wrapped it up well enough to satisfy everyone. I wouldn't say this was my absolute favorite of the series but it does it all justice, answering the questions and tying everything up fairly easily. I don't even want to say much to give anything away but as I think about it I'm happy to see a few threads left open for future exploration.
Tad Callin
I acknowledge that I should probably have read these in their proper order to get the full effect, but I have to say Wendig does a fine job of telling a complete story while also creating a sense of this story's place in the series. Having only read The Cormorant (#3 in the series) before, I can say that Wendig uses references to characters and earlier events to reinforce important plot points so you won't be lost if you haven't read the books, but you also won't feel hit over the head with ...more
Regina
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-library
4.5 stars. This should not have taken me this long to read this book, it's just that the new business has interfered with my reading time drastically and it seems I only have time to listen to audiobooks when I'm commuting. But enough about that.

If you haven't read the six Miriam Black books by Wendig then you need to. To me they're just short of amazing as I think I would have like all of them edited down to just one massive amazing book but eh! No worries, I still loved them.

Bitchy, tough,
Amy
Wow. I picked up and read the first in this series, Blackbirds, in 2014 and was immediately hooked. It had everything I liked in a book: horror, raunch, imaginatively profane language, blood, squick-inducing descriptions, a bad-ass, female anti-hero, and the promise of more to come.

And, now, it's over. I'm both disappointed to part company with Ms. Black and blown away by the way Wendig ended it and how he tied up all the little loose ends.

I got this copy from the library because there have been
Zen Bookworm
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm sorry to see this series end, but absolutely thankful I found it and got to enjoy every page. I'll be honest, this one was hard for me to read, given how Miriam has changed in this book (trying not to give spoilers). It makes things in her life much more complicated, but she is struggling to find a place for herself in this world while still protecting the ones she loves. Is that even possible for Miriam. She's come a long way since the beginning of this series, and she's taken us all on a ...more
Jennifer Wheeler
Drew
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fate finds a way, as do so many of Miriam's last remaining enemies and allies. It's the endgame, the big showdown, the last hurrah, and it's a good one.
David
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wendig is a master storyteller. Miriam Black is as unique as any character you can find/ Another conclusion to a series that I am sorry to see. I am sure Wendig will write more good books.
Bradley
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's all over! Review to come! ...more
Franklin
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an ending it is!

I'm not really sure how I stumbled across Miriam Black. A suggestion. An interesting cover on a book. Scrolling through Amazon. But I am a happy reader because of the discovery.

The end brings sadness because it is over. There won't be another book to anxiously await and I will miss this character. There hasn't been anyone like her and I doubt anyone could replicate her. One of a f$@king kind (wink wink).

The final book is a wild ride from beginning to end that never lets
Well Read Beard
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
Fast paced, enjoyable wrap-up to the Miriam Black series.
Erica
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
An enjoyable ending to the Miriam Black series.
Beau North
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As good of an ending as I could have pictured for Miriam.
Susan
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, thriller
The perfect ending to a brilliant series. I've loved these books from Chapter 1 of Book 1 and not once in six books felt disappointed in the story or in my book BFF, Miriam Black.
Amy Braun
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the wildest chapters in Miriam Black's history, and that is saying something. There was no shortage of violence and bloodshed (seriously, there was one point that will stick with me for a loooooong time), and the emotional journey Miriam went on was ultimately the biggest highlight for me. While she was still crass, fierce, and more prone to snapping than soothing, it's clear that she really has matured.

The writing was quick, razor-sharp, and exciting. The action was visceral
Ben Truong
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Vultures is the sixth and final book in the Miriam Black series written by Chuck Wendig. It stars Miriam Black who has the ability to see anyone's destined death with a touch.

Miriam Black is pregnant with the daughter of her now-gone lover, augmented by a new paranormal healing ability, and traveling with her recent paramour, Gabby, all while being chased by the supernatural shape-shifter she calls The Trespasser. She's recruited by FBI agent David Guerrero, who's assembled a team with gifts
Jaye
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I discovered the Miriam Black series in 2013. It was gritty and grungy, a quality I have come to enjoy in my fantasy fiction. It works in really fantastical work like that of Joe Abercrombie and Richard K Morgan, so it stands to reason that it might work in a setting closer to real life. This series proves that assumption in spades.
This book picks up a few short weeks after the events of the last book. Actually the timeline does jump around a bit. At the end of the last one, Miriam learned she
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Death & Honey
  • Fire Season (Eric Carter #4)
  • The Grand Dark
  • The Killing Light (The Sacred Throne, #3)
  • Broken Souls (Eric Carter, #2)
  • Laughter at the Academy
  • Vigilance
  • Treason of Hawks (The Shadow, #4)
  • That Ain’t Witchcraft (InCryptid, #8)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • The Unkindest Tide (October Daye, #13)
  • Middlegame
  • The City in the Middle of the Night
  • Terminal Uprising  (Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse, #2)
  • Seven Blades in Black (The Grave of Empires, #1)
  • Right to the Kill (Harmony Black, #5)
  • Salvation Day
  • The Best American Science Fiction and Fantasy 2019
Chuck Wendig is a novelist, a screenwriter, and a freelance penmonkey.
He has contributed over two million words to the roleplaying game industry, and was the developer of the popular Hunter: The Vigil game line (White Wolf Game Studios / CCP).

He, along with writing partner Lance Weiler, is a fellow of the Sundance Film Festival Screenwriter's Lab (2010). Their short film, Pandemic, will show at

Miriam Black (6 books)
  • Blackbirds (Miriam Black, #1)
  • Mockingbird (Miriam Black, #2)
  • The Cormorant (Miriam Black, #3)
  • Thunderbird (Miriam Black, #4)
  • The Raptor & the Wren (Miriam Black, #5)
“Miriam’s heels are dug so far in, she’s up to her neck.” 0 likes
“Then my answer is Double-No with a side order of Nope-Nuh-Uh and a couple sauce packets of Extra-Zesty Fuck-No Dressing.” 0 likes