Start by marking “Stone Cold Heart (Tracers #13)” as Want to Read:
Stone Cold Heart (Tracers #13)

Stone Cold Heart

(Tracers #13)

When local rock climbers stumble upon abandoned human bones in a remote Texas gorge, Sara Lockhart is the first to get the call. She has a reputation as one of the nation’s top forensic anthropologists, and police detective Nolan Hess knows she is just the expert he needs to help unravel this case. Although evidence is scarce, Nolan suspects the bones belong to a teenage c ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published March 26th 2019 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Stone Cold Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stone Cold Heart

Sheyla ✎

Something weird happened to me while I was reading Stone Cold Heart. I was more interested in the suspense and the unsub than in the romance. As a romantic at heart, this was really shocking to me. No doubt only Laura Griffin can distract me from a HEA!

Stone Cold Heart is the 13th book in the Tracers series. Each book has a new couple investigating a case.

Newcomer Sara Lockhart is a forensic anthropologist. She's at a wedding when she's called by detective Nolan Hess to assist on an investigat
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
Oh yeah! This book has it all!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was so excited to have this baby show up at my door! I have read a lot of Griffin's books, especially the Tracers series ones, and marvel at how she continues to craft spine tingling stories that grab you and don't let you go.

This book was one of my favorites, I think. The plot is intricate with all of the twists we love in a suspense murder mystery. She keeps us guessing all the way through!

The characters are brilliant and perfectly constructed w
♥Rachel♥
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

Laura Griffin writes addictive crime procedurals with a nice bit of romance, and I’m always excited to crack open one of her mysteries! Stone Cold Heart grabbed me from the beginning, eager for every discovery, on the edge of my seat anticipating what bit of danger Sara and Nolan would stumble across next!

While I liked Sara and admired her skills and determination in the case, she did frustrate me a little bit by jumping into a couple of situations alone, even though they were clearly
Mindy Lou's Book Review
This series just gets better and better! I found Sara's job as a forensic anthropologists completely fascinating. I loved how her mind worked and the dedication she had in helping Nolan find the man behind all the killings.

Nolan's character was just as appealing. He's the town's police detective and his moral code was very high. He cared and he went above and beyond to help a local family find out what happened to their daughter.

The side characters added an extra dimension. I already hop Dax an
Mandi Schreiner
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
As usual, Griffin delivers a very well done suspense/murder/thriller book. I was totally engaged in the crime and I loved our heroine, who is a forensic anthropologist.

The romance fell flat for me - the romance in this series is always pretty low-key - but in this one, even the sexual tension didn't work. I liked the hero - and I can seem them together romantically, but it just didn't do anything for me in this book.

But I really did love the story
Caz
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, aar, mystery-thriller
I've given this a B at AAR

NOTE: The Kindle edition is on sale for 99p in the UK at time of writing.

This thirteenth book in Laura Griffin’s  Tracers  series once again sees a member of the team from the high-tech Delphi Centre Crime Lab working with law enforcement officers working to solve a particularly disturbing case.  Although this is a long-running series, each book comprises a self-contained suspense plot so it’s perfectly possible to dip in and out as any recurring characters are kept to
Tanja ~ T's Book ~ KT Book Reviews
The Tracers series is one of my all time favorites! Some of the best mystery/procedural - action adventure that’s out in the book world today! Griffin has an innate ability to mix romance and mystery that never dulls or becomes redundant. I was completely in awe over the killers reveal. It was a knock out of left field that just proves this is an author who likes to keep her reader on their toes.

Another 5 star home run.
~Tanja

TwitterFacebookPinterestBookBabblersInstagram
Saly
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
As someone who no longer reads too many RS (which was my favourite genre years ago), Laura Griffin will always remain on my definitely yes list, because with her books I know I will get a hell of a compelling read so much so that I won't mind the lack of emphasis on the romance. Stone Cold Heart was another terrific entry in this series, with a very compelling plot. The story moves around the remains and not the romance as in all LG books.
RachelW (BamaGal)
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Another good read in a series I enjoy. I like the setting of the ‘Delphi Center’ crime lab. I’ve come to enjoy reading about the various characters and their crime scene specialties. This series kind of reminds me of a CSI type show, where some episodes are better than others; but the reader gets invested enough in the whole to keep going. I even liked the romance in this one, very old school. Overall, above average Romantic Suspense.
Pamela(AllHoney)
The thirteenth book in the Tracers series by Laura Griffin. Forensic anthropologist, Sara Lockhart, is called to the scene where some rock climbers discovered a body. Together Sara and police detective, Nolan Hess investigate.

I have read several of Ms. Griffin's novels and I like her style. The story moves nicely, without too much lagging or filler. It tells the story and manages to slip in a nice satisfying romance. Her characters are often flawed with issues about their pasts. But it's not too
CD {Boulder Blvd}
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: s-bv-library
I'm a huge fan of the tracer series and I really enjoyed reading this one. Definitely recommend.
Dísir
Laura Griffin returns with a classic ‘Bones’-episode thriller, when a series of missing persons start to bring an unlikely connection to a serial killer lurking in the midst of them.

For readers who like a suspense-heavy, romance-that-skims-the-surface read, ‘Stone Cold Heart’ delivers superbly. Nolan Hess and Sara Lockhart hold their own individually as protagonists; both are competent in their own fields, established in their own circles.

But as the case progressed and these circles overlapped
Anita
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, romantic-supense

This series is consistently one of the best Romantic-Suspense Series I've ever read and "Stone Cold Heart" is another great book in the Tracers Series. The world of the Delphi Center and people who work there is fascinating. All the books can be read as Standalones, but if you drop in at this book, be prepared to want to read the whole series. The Suspense plot was top-notch an
Debbie
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stone Cold Heart
Laura Griffin

Just look under Romantic Suspense in the dictionary and you’ll find Stone Cold Heart number thirteen in Laura Griffin’s Tracers Series listed, a gripping unputdownable page-turner and maybe the best yet in this absorbing series. Her prototypical attention to detail is once again impressive from intricate rock climbing details to crime scene techniques she entertains as well as educates readers while spinning her fabulous grizzly puzzling tale that will have her audie
Beth
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
This is certainly competent. It’s also clinical, in a way. I’ve read this story before, and I’ve read it from Laura Griffin. The characters are slightly different, but the elements are the same. There are parts I vaguely recall finding chilling as I read them... but mostly, this isn’t memorable, because it blurs together with the other Griffin novels it resembles. What I do remember are the few Delfi office interactions, which makes me think I really want a workplace novel set in this world: les ...more
Jae
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lengthy romance this time. Quite different from LG's other Tracers stories.
Shoshanna
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sara Lockehart is a forensic anthropologist working for the Delphi Center, one of the best in her league. Police detective Nolan Hess works for a small Texas community that has a some big national parks where people hike, climb and ride bikes. Some hikers discover a skeleton and Hess calls Sara in. She discovers more than one body. Their relationship deepens, as they race to figure out who the killer is, and if and how many more bodies there are to find.
I love Laura Griffin and the whole Trace
Diane Saul
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When local rock climbers find human bones in a park Sara Lockhart of The Delphi Center is asked to assist in the investigation by Det Nolan Hess. A local girl has been missing for over a year and they think the bones could be hers. When they realize it is not the missing hiker and another young woman goes missing they realize they might be looking at a serial killer.

This book has it all, suspense, romance and a twisted killer. The book is very well written with a great plot that kept me turning
Veronica
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

Detective Nolan Hess seeks help from anthropologist Sara Lockhart after bones are discovered in a gorge that Nolan thinks may be the remains of a local woman who went missing over a year before. Because this is a story that is told from multiple points of view, the reader knows that the killer already has another victim and it is likely that that one set of remains won’t be the only set for very long.

Crime solving takes cent
Thelma Fountain
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book in a goodreads giveaway. This is the first book I have read by this author and I really enjoyed it. I could tell a lot of research went into all of the forensics mentioned in the book. The story was interesting I found myself not wanting to put it down. I will definitely read more books in this series. Highly recommend.
Mara
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-owned, arc
I would give the mystery/police procedural part of this 4 stars and the romance 3 stars, so let's settle on a 3.5 overall. This was another enjoyable installment in the Tracers series that delivered the kind of cozy thriller/suspense that I've realized really connects for me. I also really appreciated that the primary conflict between the two main characters was figuring out how to balance their careers with their budding relationship in a way that was about compromise, not ultimatums. It's a co ...more
Avid Reader
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stone Cold Heart (Tracers #13) by Laura Griffin
5 stars
M/F Thriller Romance
Triggers: Torture, Murder, Stalking
I was given this book for an honest review by Wicked Reads.

Sara is dreading staying at a colleagues wedding. So, when a call comes in that she's needed at a crime scene, she's happy to pick up and head out there. What she finds is a grisly scene and more questions than answers.

Nolan is worried. His home town is under some kind of siege. Women are going missing and turning up in the surrou
Heather Fineisen
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
A better than average story in the romantic suspense genre. A rugged hero who is a cop in a small Texas town and a strong female lead who is a forensic anthropologist. Bones found in one of the local parks bring them together while they hunt for a serial killer. The setting of the parks and caves and climbing works well.

Copy provided by the Publisher and NetGalley
Cindy ~
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This series never gets stale. Each book gives us a different perspective on how the forensic scientists at the Delphi Center crime lab work. Sara Lockhart forensic anthropologists and fairly new to Delphi Center but just as tenacious and dedicated as everyone who works there.

Being from Texas I was fascinated that the story mainly takes place in Texas State Parks with rock climbing and caves as the backdrop. Having a serial killer using the State Parks as a dumping ground for his bodies was cree
Lisa
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a free complimentary book and voluntarily reviewed.

This is another riveting suspense In Laura Griffin’s “Tracers” series that magnetizes the reader from the beginning to the end.

The “Tracers” series is about a group of forensic investigators. These scientists work in the Delphi Center Crime Lab, a gigantic building with up-to-date technology and many brilliant scientists. They perform autopsies, help identify victims and uncover the cause and the manner of death. They also help invest
Lea
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m going to give a big shout out to Lucky #13 for Tracers author Laura Griffin. This is absolutely the best one that I have read yet, and I have read all of them since I am such a big fan! This book is centered around Sara Lockhart, a top forensic anthropologist who works hard in the deep recesses of the Delphi Center. When she stumbles onto a case of missing women in the same area in which she likes to climb and hike, she is drawn into the case. She is also magnetically attracted to the local ...more
Sascha
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You would think that when an author hits #13 in a series that the reader would see signs of the series flagging, cliches creeping in, and fatigue, but Stone Cold Heart with its driving level of suspense and teasing romance between Sara and Nolan feels more like a book from a fresh new series.

I know that when I pick up a Laura Griffin novel that I had better have hours set aside because I won’t want to stop reading and that was the case with Stone Cold Heart. The novel opens with the kidnapping o
Amelia
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The cleverly imaginative mind of Laura Griffin makes the latest book in the Tracers series riveting with constantly chilling developments. While hints are scattered throughout concerning who is responsible for any murders being committed, actual facts are not divulged until all evidence is examined. This kept my mind jumping from one assumption to another when new details were finally confirmed. A possible romantic relationship is also taking place during the long hours of investigation, and the ...more
Jacquie
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A chilling trail of murder by a stone cold killer!

When forensic anthropologist Sara Lockhart is called out to a remote Texas gorge to investigate a burial site- little does she know it’s only the beginning of a much bigger story.

A serial killer is on the loose and he’s using Detective Nolan Hess’s community for his dumping site. He trusts Sara to uncover the evidence he needs to capture this predator, but can she do it before he strikes again?

Sara is impressed by Nolan’s dedication and deep ties
Jo Ann Reinhold
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sara Lockhart is one of the nation’s top forensic anthropologists and works at the prestigious Delphi Center Crime Lab. She is called to help with an investigation by police detective Nolan Hess after local rock climbers stumble upon abandoned human bones in a remote Texas gorge.
In Laura's usual fast-paced style, things heat up quickly with the investigation as new pieces of the puzzle are pulled from the earth by Sara and her team. The danger increases around Sara as the killer takes aim.
Sara,
  • Under Currents
  • One of These Nights (Harvest Cove, #3)
  • Say You're Sorry (Romantic Suspense, #22; Sacramento, #1)
  • Slow Ride (Road to Love, #2)
  • Lost and Found (Masters and Mercenaries: The Forgotten, #2)
  • Defending Morgan (Mountain Mercenaries, #3)
  • Frosted (Moreno & Hart Mysteries, #2.5)
  • Dukes Are Forever (London Steampunk: The Blue Blood Conspiracy #5)
  • The Good Chase (Highland Games #2)
  • The Austen Playbook (London Celebrities, #4)
  • Wishing For Us (Danvers #9)
  • Fix Her Up (Hot and Hammered #1)
  • The Last Second (A Brit in the FBI, #6)
  • The Unforgiven (League of the Black Swan, #2)
  • Fatal Reckoning (Fatal, #14)
  • The Lemon Sisters (Wildstone, #3)
  • Taken (Deep Ops, #1.5)
  • A Merciful Promise (Mercy Kilpatrick, #6)
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Laura Griffin started her career in journalism before venturing into the world of writing romantic suspense. Her books have won numerous awards, including two RITA Awards (for Scorched and Whisper of Warning) and a Daphne du Maurier Award (Untraceable). Laura currently lives in Austin where she is working on her next book.

Series:
* Tracers
* Moreno and

Tracers (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Untraceable (Tracers, #1)
  • Unspeakable (Tracers, #2)
  • Unforgivable (Tracers #3)
  • Snapped (Tracers #4)
  • Twisted (Tracers, #5)
  • Scorched (Tracers #6)
  • Exposed (Tracers #7)
  • Beyond Limits (Tracers, #8)
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
  • Deep Dark (Tracers, #10)