Start by marking “William Wakes Up” as Want to Read:
William Wakes Up

William Wakes Up

(William #2)

William and his animal friends have had the whole winter to nap. Now it's time for them to wake up and welcome a very special guest. There's lots to do to get ready, from scrubbing the floors to decorating the house to baking a tasty treat. But it's so hard to leave a cozy bed. . . . Will everyone get up in time to do their part?
This book's gentle rhymes and humorous illus
Published February 5th 2019 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about William Wakes Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about William Wakes Up

Abigail
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Who Enjoyed 'William's Winter Nap' / Those Looking for New Spring Picture-Books
William and his animal friends, whose story began in author Linda Ashman and illustrator Chuck Groenink's William's Winter Nap , return in this second picture-book romp, this time welcoming a special guest, whose arrival marks the coming of spring. The rhyming narrative here begins: "On a quiet morning, / sleepy and still, / William looks out on / a moss-covered hill. / He hears a faint and distant tune, / and says, "My friend will be here soon. / It's been a long and wintry wait - / we need a ...more
Amber J
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children
My 7 year old daughter read this book to me. It was great. Perfectly appropriate for her, easy enough for her to read, plus is rhymed. Me and my daughter thought the pictures where just beautiful, and the story teaches an important lesson about helping out.
Shannon
Equally as adorable as William's Winter Nap
Josiphine/Tessa
This book is adorable, both in story and art.
Shaye Miller
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is a sequel to William's Winter Nap (published in 2017). Both books showcase rhyming text and the counting of animals. In book #1, more animals are added to the bed for a long winter nap. However, in book #2, the animals are subtracted from the bed one at a time AND in a different order than they were added. Furthermore, there's one sneaky animal who might be pretending to be asleep while all the others take care of the work.

This story could be used with children to supplement a discus
Esutterlin
Springtime is coming, and William, a young boy, is expecting a special guest, to come soon in this rhyming story.
Raccoon is the last to get up, after chipmunk, groundhog, porcupine, and bear wake up to help get ready for the arrival of William's friend, a bluebird.
Note: Not all of these were hibernating: Groundhogs/woodchucks and bears do hibernate; chipmunks and porcupines stay close to their dens, with chipmunks going in and out of sleeping, waking up periodically to take care of bodily needs
Kirsti Call
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
William Wakes Up, by Linda Ashman and Chuck Groenink is a darling combination of THE LITTLE RED HEN and TEN LITTLE MONKEYS SLEEPING ON THE BED.

"On a quiet morning,
sleepy and still,
William looks out on
a moss-covered hill.

He hears a faint and distant tune,
and says, "My friend will be here soon.
it's been a long and wintry wait--
we need a cake to celebrate!"

Expressive illustrations combine with the rhyming and lyrical text to make a delightful and whimsical read aloud. The premise of celebrating s
Margie
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This month a wondering world gets to visit with William and his slumbering friends again. William Wakes Up (Disney Hyperion, February 5, 2019) written by Linda Ashman with pictures by Chuck Groenink takes us back to the cabin months later. The deep snows have vanished and preparations for a celebration begin.

My full recommendation: https://librariansquest.blogspot.com/...
Jana
William wakes up and is all excited because it's springtime! With bouncy, rhyming text and softly colored illustrations, young readers will become excited too as each animal wakes up and pitches in to help William welcome his special guests. There are some cute lessons about friendship and helping each other out. This would be a fun read aloud book as winter gives way to spring.
Katie
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was just ok to me. It has a good message that everyone needs to help out and I can see using it for a good subtraction lesson in the younger grades but it wasn't my favorite. It was part of my JLG subscriptions for the Read Aloud. I think it would be best for Pre-K and Kindergarten. It could also be used to talk about hibernation and Spring.
Timothy ODwyer
This is book that is excellent for younger readers. It takes the morals or lessons of stories involving hard work and makes them understandable for a younger audience.

A moral that I found that this story illustrates is that Hard Work is rewarded, but teamwork is enjoyable.

**I received this as part of a goodreads giveaway.
Elisabeth
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I loved the first William book, and this one is good too - except I think there is too much story after the special guest arrives. I would anticipate some squirming from young listeners at that point.
Alison
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
The first one was better.
MaryLibrarianOH
A springtime "Little Red Hen" story with a lazy raccoon and a special guest on the way. A great pick for reading aloud to little ones.
Jean
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spring
Spring
Miriam Glover- Leffler
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great book for younger kids with cute illustrations that teach about hard work and helping others.
Alice Ball
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it
A rhyming spring-time tale that meshes 5 Little Monkeys with the Little Red Hen in a playful and forgiving way.
Alyssa Tabor
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
A little long for storytime, but has a refrain that might keep their attention. Definitely would not do with my younger group.
Kelly
Nice story.
Alexis Jones
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a cute book to read, I can imagine reading it to a classroom of students right before spring time. The illustrations are super cute and interactive!
susan nolan
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: toddler, preschool
use with Spring theme books or use with William's Winter Nap
might be too long for Toddler
Meredith Spidel
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lovely, fun, and a delightful picture book for your young reader! Thanks Disney Books for sending an ARC my way--my kids and I have so enjoyed this as a sweet bedtime story!
kim
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
well done, good read-aloud
Brenda Schneider
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great, fun story. Wonderful illustrations. I won this book through goodreads.
Great Books
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 19-ages-6-7
Wake up it's spring, it’s time to celebrate...and prepare for a special guest. Join William as he cleans, cooks and bakes a cake with his animal friends.
Reviewer #12

• Be Brave Little Penguin
  • Penguins Love Colors
  • Bruno's Hat
  • The Gingerbread Girl Goes Animal Crackers
  • I'm Going to Give You a Bear Hug!
  • A Big Surprise for Little Card
  • The Tiny King
  • Turtle Island
  • Little Elliot, Fall Friends
  • Abigail
  • You Are My Magical Unicorn
  • Purple Little Bird
  • It's Not Hansel and Gretel (It's Not a Fairy Tale, #2)
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say Happy Chanukah?
Linda Ashman's children's books have been named to the "best of the year" lists of the New York Times, Parenting Magazine, Child Magazine, New York Public Library, the Bank Street College of Education, the IRA/CBC and more. She is also the author of The Nuts and Bolts Guide to Writing Picture Books .

Linda lives in Chapel Hill, North Carolina with her husband, Jack Hicks, their son Jackson, and

William (2 books)