Start by marking “Competence” as Want to Read:
Competence

Competence

(The Custard Protocol #3)

From New York Times bestselling author Gail Carriger comes the delightful sequel to Imprudence.

Accidentally abandoned!

All alone in Singapore, proper Miss Primrose Tunstell must steal helium to save her airship, the Spotted Custard, in a scheme involving a lovesick werecat and a fake fish tail.

When she uncovers rumors of a new kind of vampire, Prim and the Custard crew emb
Published February 5th 2019 by Orbit (first published July 17th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Competence, please sign up.
Elena Prim and Percy are the narrators here, but it's still all about the Spotted Custard and her crew, so Rue is very present throughout. I actually really…morePrim and Percy are the narrators here, but it's still all about the Spotted Custard and her crew, so Rue is very present throughout. I actually really enjoyed seeing Rue from the perspective of her two best friends.(less)

Maria V. Snyder
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had a looooong drive to upstate NY and was able to finish listening to this one! I love listening to Gail Carriger books because the narrator, Moira Quirk does a fantastic job. This book is from the POV of Primrose and her twin brother Percy and it was a delight. So fun to get to know other characters in this richly imaginative world!
Siobhan
Gail Carriger is my go-to author for steampunk reads. Her Parasol Protectorate series was insanely addictive, a total joy to read. Her Finishing School series was also a wonderful read, and whilst it wasn’t to the same level as the Parasol Protectorate series it was really enjoyable. In truth, The Custard Protocol series is my least favourite series from the author. For me, The Custard Protocol is lacking in the punch that made me enjoy the prior series so much. It’s enjoyable and has the usual ...more
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
Thanks to theatre this one took me ages to read, but it was an absolute joy every time I picked it up. I adore these characters and this world so much.
Kate
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
*Audio Version*
As always, wonderfully ready by Moira Quirk but this time it just wasn't enough. I was bored. I feel like the author had a lot to say about love and relationships and social pressures, but also had a lot of adventure to write. Unfortunately, there was about 70% love and relationships (and endless conversations about them), 20% etiquette/ fashion and 10% story. There were so many interesting things presented and then dropped. Or presented and then wrapped up off stage. While I love
Zoe Stewart (yerabooknerdzoe)
I think this is my favourite out of this series so far! I loved seeing things from Prim's point of view, as well as Percy's. It fully lived up to the rest of the books set in this world. I can't wait until next year for Percy's book! I'm lowkey in love with him.
Melissa
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Competence, book the third in the Custard Protocol, very much lives up to the adventurous frivolity of the series. I enjoyed watching Primrose evolve and come in to her own. I can’t wait to see how the Spotted Custard crew handles the new challenge aboard the decks. I loved meeting the new creatures in the world and finally getting a plausible cause for California’s inane beauty standards. Brava, Miss Carriger, you’ve done it again!
Gianna
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I think I'm falling a bit out of love with this writer. I still love the world she created for these books, but I don't like the characters as much as with her other series, so it all becomes a bit... silly. If not frustrating. The plot of the book is almost forgotten, so the drive of the book is the romance and the two pov's, which I both didn't enjoy, an issue that this entire series has had for me. Such a shame, since I loved the first two series so much.
Lizzy (Bent Bookworm)
*squee* I can't waaaaait!!
Wing Kee
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charming world building, wonderful banter, a fun ride.

I am going to say this here, I am biased, I love Carriger’s world so everything she does so far that I’ve read I’ve gushed over so this review will not be objective at all.

World: The world building is fantastic, it’s a continuation on everything that Carriger has done since Soulless and with the Custard Protocol she has expanded the world even further. With this new book we see the crew of the Spotted Custard go to somewhere the series has no
Asia
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what it is with "Custard Protocol" series but I don't enjoy it as much as other Gail Carriger's books. I like them but some things bother me and sadly, it's just not on the level of "Parasol Protectorate" (which is one of my favorite series ever!).
Carolyn F.
Audiobook

Quirky funny book, like all of the other books I've read by the author. Very enjoyable. New kind of supernatural introduced. Slow moving romance came to fruition. I recommend the book/series.
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

COMPETENCE, the third book in the Custard Protocol series continues the excellent adventures in frivolity, fun, and danger that the crew of the Spotted Custard find themselves on. I absolutely love the world this series is set in and the expert combination of steampunk and romance is key to that for me. There is always more world for the Spotted Custard crew to discover and and it was fun to see a different take on vampires and vampire lore in Peru whic
K.
Trigger warnings: violence, blood.

I've been a little hit or miss with the books in this series to date. I haven't enjoyed them nearly as much as the books in the Parasol Protectorate series or the Finishing School series. But they're still a hell of a lot of fun.

This one I enjoyed more than the previous two - it cuts back and forth between Percy and Primrose as narrators, so we get to see Rue from the perspective of her friends, which is certainly intriguing. There's a fantastic relationship t
Tansy Roberts
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite of this series so far! I really enjoyed Prudence/Rue as a protagonist, but I ADORE the combo of Primrose and Percy that we get here! Lovely mix of romance, friendship, adventure and delicious comestibles.
iam
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtqia, f-f
What a delightful addition to the Custard Protocol series!

I knew from the very first book that I would love Primrose and Percy, so when I heard that books 3 and 4 would be from their perspective I was delighted. Competence focuses more on Prim, while book 4, Reticence, will have Percy at its center.

The story is closed in itself and only losely guides the book's events. The crew of the Spottet Custard starts out in Singapore with a dangerous lack of helium in the dirigible's balloo
Denver Public Library
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, staceyg
Competence continues the fun steampunk romp known as the Custard Protocol series in this third book of the series. For the first time, Carriger switches the point-of-view to the twins, Primrose and Percy. Prim is dealing with the crumbling dreams she had always envisioned for herself: children, family, respectability, and running a home. Her enjoyment of her current itinerant life on the dirigible, however, has thrown those childhood dreams into disarray and she’s not sure what she wants. While ...more
Linniegayl
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this in audio. As always, Moira Quirk was a delightful narrator. I wasn't convinced I would enjoy this entry in the Custard Protocol series, as I knew it was Prim's story (the daughter of Ivy Tunstell, Vampire Queen and best friend of Alexia from the Parasol Protectorate series). And I'll admit, the opening chapters in Singapore were a bit slow for me focusing almost completely on Prim and Tasherit. Tasherit is clearly still in love with Prim, and Prim -- while attracted -- is resi ...more
T.D. Whittle
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love The Custard Protocol even more than its predecessor, The Parasol Protectorate. The crew of the Spotted Custard is so bold, adventurous, charming, and wonderfully varied, as well as being very funny. Reading about their adventures makes me want to go on a long trip with them―but, alas, my parasol is fresh out of bullets and I'm stuck in the 21st century.
Bart
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read, fantasy
Actual rating: 4.00
jammaster_mom
Aug 31, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
**sigh** I REALLY wanted to like this book! **sigh**

I very much enjoyed the original series, The Parasol Protectorate. The first two books of this series were good and engaging. This book just fell flat.

I was expecting a steampunk/mystery/adventure/buddy story. The majority of this book finds the crew traveling with very little action to be had. The only exciting adventure bit is in the last 100 pages and it wasn't that engaging. The majority of the book ends up being the inner thoughts of the c
Wendy
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk
“Competence” revolves around the adventures of the crew of “the Spotted Custard” as they face a crisis with a slow leak in their dirigible; Prim Turnstell schemes to replenish the lost helium; the ethical reform of Prudence Akeldama’s cousin Rodrigo Tarabotti; and the rescue of a new type of vampire in Peru.

Revolving mainly around Prim Tunstell the plot tends to deal more with her romantic entanglement with the werecat Miss Sekhmet than the madcap adventures which seem to be secondary. Yet it’s
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
At one point, I considered dropping this series, and Competence makes me glad that I didn't. There's been some white savior shit in this series, but this one's lighter on the plot, avoiding that mistake with a plot that barely registers, and heavier on the romance. It's humorous, irreverent and full of kissing, which is what I liked best from Carriger anyway.

The prior books were about Rue and Quesnel, but they've settled into happy couple status and the POV has shifted to Tunstell siblings Prim
Wiebke (1book1review)
This turned out to be more of a character study of Prim and Percy. We get everything from their pov and genereally follow their storyline on board the Spotted Custard.
While I do think it was an interesting insight into their personalities and seeing Prim struggle to let go of social expectations to follow her heart was just as endearing as seeing that there is more to Percy than we thought before.
However, the rest of the plot is lacking or rather failing to captivate.
I recommend it for fans of h
April Sarah
Why does Miss Gail DO THIS TO ME
Suzanne
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, wheel19
"Dash it all, I've completely run out of science." <--my favorite line
Chelsey
it would be five stars—ladies! multirace multispecies romances! transfolks from other cultures! however the treatment of the humans living in Lima was all horribly colonialist. it is one thing for a character to hold a Wrong Thought. It is another to never prove that the locals are anything more than idiots who cannot tell the difference better vampires and pale people. Like the Spanish conquistadors or the onship Italians are THAT much darker? (particularly as they have a very distinct local va ...more
Lisa Wolf
Picture yourself floating through the air, with a ladybug-spotted balloon overhead, surrounded by your best friends and some adoring crew members. Picture yourself floating above India, Africa, even the Pacific Ocean. Picture yourself with fancy hats, stylish traveling dresses, and oversized parasols.

Fun, right?

Did all that imagining make you feel light and bubbly, maybe even a little giddy? Well, that's a bit what reading the Custard Protocol books feels like, start to finish. The books in this
Lee (Rally the Readers)
Also posted on Rally the Readers.

* An eARC was provided by the author for review.

4.5 Stars
It’s been a while since we last checked in with the motley crew of the Spotted Custard, but the newest installment in Gail Carriger’s The Custard Protocol series was absolutely worth the wait! I didn’t realize how much I missed this group of adorably quirky characters until I started reading Competence.

The title is very fitting here, as the novel focuses on Primrose Tunstell, probably the most reliable memb
Gail Carriger Fan...: 07/01-07/14: Competence 6 19 Jul 12, 2019 05:26PM
Gail Carriger Fan...: July 2018: Competence by Gail Carriger 5 41 Aug 18, 2018 03:33PM

• The Omega Objection (San Andreas Shifters, #2)
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Golden Trilobite (Girl Genius, #6)
  • A Study in Darkness (The Baskerville Affair, #2)
  • The Dragon Men (Clockwork Empire, #3)
  • To Catch A Rogue (London Steampunk: The Blue Blood Conspiracy #4)
  • Ether & Elephants (Gaslight Chronicles, #8)
  • The Ripper Affair (Bannon & Clare, #3)
  • The Dastardly Miss Lizzie (Electric Empire, #3)
  • A Clockwork Heart (The Chronicle of Light and Shadow, #2)
  • The Bartered Brides (Elemental Masters, #13)
  • The Clockwork Wolf (Disenchanted & Co., #2)
  • The Return of the Discontinued Man (Burton & Swinburne, #5)
  • His Clockwork Canary (The Glorious Victorious Darcys, #2)
  • The Hidden Goddess (Veneficas Americana, #2)
Gail Carriger writes comedies of manners mixed with paranormal romance (and the sexy San Andreas Shifter series as G L Carriger). Her books include the Parasol Protectorate and the Finishing School series. She is published in many languages and has over a dozen NYT bestsellers. She was once an archaeologist and is fond of shoes, octopuses, and tea. Join the Chirrup for sneak peaks of upcoming gigg ...more

The Custard Protocol (4 books)
  • Prudence (The Custard Protocol, #1)
  • Imprudence (The Custard Protocol, #2)
  • Reticence (Custard Protocol, #4)
“You will be the death of me. But such a lovely way to go.” 5 likes
“Yes?" Percy did not try to tame the grumpiness in his voice. He hated to be disturbed while he was reading. Of course, he was always reading, but that did not signify.” 5 likes