Start by marking “Living in Information: Responsible Design for Digital Places” as Want to Read:
Living in Information: Responsible Design for Digital Places

Living in Information: Responsible Design for Digital Places

Websites and apps are places where critical parts of our lives happen. We shop, bank, learn, gossip, and select our leaders there. But many of these places weren’t intended to support these activities. Instead, they're designed to capture your attention and sell it to the highest bidder. Living in Information draws upon architecture as a way to design information environme ...more
Published June 15th 2018 by Two Waves Books

To ask other readers questions about Living in Information, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living in Information

Start your review of Living in Information: Responsible Design for Digital Places
Massimo Curatella
Revised version on Living in Information by Jorge Arango, book review

There is a strong parallel between the characteristics and the influences of physical places on our lives and what worlds of information living in immaterial digital existences are having on them as well.

Living in Information by Jorge Arango is about designing digital places: information spaces where we act, move, search and request to satisfy our needs in similar and sometimes more complex and powerful ways than the physical o
D Levine
Jun 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
Jorge Arango distills the approach which is needed to deal with information responsibility especially when desiging information for consumption in the 21st century. His writing is clear and concise. I keep the book on my desk to reference it whenever I need it.
Kim Gausepohl
Rosenfeld books are nice introductions to UX concepts and I wish I was aware of them when I was first starting out in grad school. But as intro texts, they always leave me wanting more. I don’t think I am the audience for this.
McKenzie Richardson
For more reviews, check out my blog: Craft-Cycle

I had to read this book for my Information Architecture course for grad school and found it remarkably helpful. So far this semester, this and Abby Covert's How to Make Sense of Any Mess have been the most beneficial for me.

I went into the semester having never head of information architecture and having no idea what it was, but this book definitely helped me get a better feel for it in terms of information environments.

The writing overall was si
Jon Nguyen
Overall, I really liked the core concept of this book, which is that we should be approaching the design of what he calls “information environments” more like architects who build buildings. He introduces a lot of useful concepts from the world of architecture to apply to digital products. It was for those that I was glad I read book.

On the other hand, the book is more a proposal of the idea, but it doesn’t go I to a whole lot of depth. His examples are fairly poor, and so to apply this thinkin
Michael
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jorge Arango has written an important book at an important time. He challenges us to think environmentally about design and about the new ethical terrain we enter as information environments become both pervasive and inescapable. If I have a single criticism it is simply that I wish Arango had gone deeper. That said, his prose is lucid and accessible and the work he’s doing here is foundational. He’s done this work superbly, carefully and thoughtfully. This a major contribution.
Jônathas Souza
Jan 31, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good introduction book in Information Architecture, that reinforces the architecture of this design discipline. Using buildings as his main examples, Jorge Arango explains how our digital spaces don't differ so much from physical spaces, and have the same influence on us.

He calls our responsibility in designing and building those information environments that are time-proof, sustainable and that empowers their users.
Lucas
Apr 03, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jorge Arango's call to change the framing we use to design, from "products" or "services" to "information environments" is very compelling, and has helped broaden my view of my own work and responsibility. ...more
Katie Yaeger
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read showcasing the connection between the physical and the digital.
Louis House
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Informative and interesting. A book that might be valuable to anyone interested in design and technology, whether as a user or as a producer.
Juan
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una visión interesante acerca del ambiente que rodea la información y a quien toma decisiones basado en lo que ve, lee, siente y experimenta.
Nepunnee
Nov 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a great quick read that packed in A LOT. I liked how the author’s humor and personality were sprinkled in parts of the book. Lots of great analogies to quickly clarify your key points.

There were lots of passages that really resonated with me. Some of them left me wanting another book diving deeper into certain topics. In particular, the passage on “…engaging with each other in a context in which over a quarter of the world’s population is present is bound to have some effect on our abilit
Danilo Gutierrez
Aug 28, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Design of Everyday Things
  • Crooked Hallelujah
  • Ruined by Design: How Designers Destroyed the World, and What We Can Do to Fix It
  • Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time
  • Designing Connected Content: Plan and Model Digital Products for Today and Tomorrow (Voices That Matter)
  • Fangs
  • Meeting Design: For Managers, Makers, and Everyone
  • Germinal
  • The Goddess Twins
  • Perfect Sound Whatever
  • Tech Humanist: How You Can Make Technology Better for Business and Better for Humans
Jorge Arango is an information architect and strategic designer based in the San Francisco Bay Area. He's the author of "Living in Information: Responsible Design for Digital Places" (Two Waves Books, 2018) and co-author of "Information Architecture: For the Web and Beyond" (O'Reilly Media, 2015). ...more