Start by marking “Heroine” as Want to Read:
Heroine

Heroine

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  6,457 ratings  ·  1,409 reviews
An Amazon Best Book of the Month! A captivating and powerful exploration of the opioid crisis—the deadliest drug epidemic in American history—through the eyes of a college-bound softball star. Edgar Award-winning author Mindy McGinnis delivers a visceral and necessary novel about addiction, family, friendship, and hope.

When a car crash sidelines Mickey just before softbal
Published March 12th 2019 by Katherine Tegen Books

·  6,457 ratings  ·  1,409 reviews

Start your review of Heroine
Emily May
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it

This book left me feeling hollow. By this I mean that it hit me so hard in so many different ways that I now feel emptied out. Saying it is "sad" is not enough. "Horrifying" is closer to the truth, but that seems too sensational.
W
Nilufer Ozmekik
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Four addicted, compelling, tragic stars!
Mindy McGinnis is one of the most amazing writers and storyteller, grabs your heart, steals a huge Parton it by creating her realistic, flawed, natural characters. As soon as you take back your heart, you feel like so many things, especially your perceptions about life, family, friends already change with it.

The first few pages of the book like a ticking bomb about to explode! So you start to turn pages quickly to reach the spot at the beginning.

At this b
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was heavy, but SO good. Wow.

TW: extremely realistic & descriptive drug use (anyone recovering from addiction should proceed with caution)
Kai
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
"When I wake up, all my friends are dead."

This book is pain. You know what you're in for right from the start, the prologue makes sure of that. It all starts with pain medication after an accident. From there on, you will watch the main character bury herself in a grave of pills, needles, lies and betrayal, so deep she might never get out. 95% of the book is a downward spiral. And the things is, you just don't know if she can dig herself out again. If you have read a McGinnis novel before, you k
Trina (Between Chapters)
4/14/19 - Upped my rating to 5 stars (from 4) because of how much this has stuck with me in the months since I read it. It's completely informed my perception of addiction portrayal in everything I've read since, and so far it's standing out as a favorite of the year.
------------------------------

This was uncomfortable to read and I hated what was happening at times, but I have been discussing this book with people I know who with addiction recovery, which has really helped me process my feeling
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I did not watch my friends die.
I did not leave their bodies cooling in a basement.
I am not an addict.

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Elle (ellexamines)
I'm doing it so that my teammates aren't exchanging worried looks when I limp past them in the hallway. Yes, I manage to tell myself as I sink my teeth into a bread stick, I'm not taking Oxy because it makes me feel good.
I'm taking it for other people.

This is a matter of taste.

This was marketed a bit as a suspense book and it really really isn't; it's more of a contemporary. At this point in my life, in terms of contemporary I look almost entirely for books I see as providing hope, some kin
*TANYA*
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Whoa, this book was intense!!! I wasn’t feeling this book at first, I was ready to give up on it. But it grew on me, it’s addictive, no pun intended. How quickly things got out of hand, the desperation and callousness was surreal. A very unique, well written story, kudos to the author.
Julie Zantopoulos
Review to come when my heart doesn't hurt so much. ...more
noa
tw: addiction, substance abuse (heroine, oxy). Heroine is REALLY GRAPHIC and I urge you NOT TO READ THIS if you’re not in a good place.​

(ARC provided by Edelweiss in exchange for a honest review)

I honestly don't know if I have the words right now. This was... heartbreaking, raw, sad and yet hopeful ?

Heroine tells the story of Mickey, a softball player, who gets into a car accident. An “innocent” prescription of Oxycontin makes Mickey want to “chase the dragon” meaning she wants to feel again th
Hillary
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports, contemporary

This wasn’t a favorite, but in the end it still hit me like a truck. Not everyone can write about very hard topics like Mindy McGinnis does. She just knows where and when to hit you. And she always leaves a mark.

Mom would blame herself for not seeing it. Dad would feel guilty for not being here to notice. [...] Coach would be done with me, since our school has a zero-tolerance drug policy. I imagine the harsh cutoff of Mom’s laughter when I tell her, the collapse of each face as they
Katie B

I've read three books by this author and once again, I am impressed with her writing talent. Addiction is a topic that has been explored in many fiction books, but yet after reading this book, I felt like it was covered it in a way that was unique but also very realistic. A worthwhile read for sure.

High school senior Mickey is determined to have a standout softball season this year. The better she plays, the more likely she will receive scholarship offers for college. But a car accident
maddie
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow wow wow. If you're in a good and healthy mental state please read this book. It's so eye opening and heart breaking. ...more
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
This review originally appeared on Novel Ink.

Content warnings: addiction; opioid addiction; extensive drug use (opioid pills, heroin), described in detail; overdose; withdrawal; death; car accident; needles; vomiting

**Please use caution going into this review and/or this book if you are a recovered or recovering addict. This book contains content that could be e
Katie.dorny
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I started this novel this afternoon and haven’t put it down.

Mickey was such a complex character and such a good protagonist to bring the story to life. The author’s acknowledgements also show she put her time into researching this topic.

This is a heavy book,make no mistake. There are no punches pulled in the first chapter but it’s a book definitely worth reading. The brutal honesty opens yours eyes to the reality for a lot of people.
Vicky Again
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars

Mindy McGinnis is one of the most versatile and consistently amazing writers I know of.

All of her books are stunning and range from a little dark to SUPER DARK, all while being some of the best teen literature I’ve ever read.

Somehow, she effortlessly gets to the root of something with a narrative style that fits the story, and her latest novel, Heroine, was no exception to this streak of consistently great books.

Honestly? Heroine is the darkest, scariest book Mindy’s written that I’ve
Bookishrealm
Oh goodness this book was powerful. It’s a true testament to the opioid crisis here in America and it proves that addiction doesn’t always look the way that we think it does. What I do know is that this book is going to stay with me for a while. My heart truly goes out to Mickey and her family. This book definitely doesn’t have a feel good tone or even a happy ending so if that’s what you’re looking for then stay away from this book. It’s real, it’s gritty and I felt her want and need in her add ...more
Sylvie
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ellen Gail
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss, so-pretty
It's 3.5 stars, but I'm rounding up.

It's dark and I'm driving exactly the speed limit, because I am a good girl. I am a student athlete and the catcher for an undefeated softball team and a senior who needs to get a good night's sleep before her last league game.....
I am not an addict.

I have a LOT of thoughts on this one, but I need to say this one first, and say it very loudly: Mickey's mother is one of my all time favorite fictional moms. I LOVE HER.

Don't worry I'll say it again, I'm sure.
Emma
Apr 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: scribd
“You’re still my hero, Mickey Catalan,” Lydia says.
“Heroine,” I correct her.
“Yeah, fucking irony, right?”

Me, writing a review a day after I finish it? Impossible. This never happens, except I'm currently looking for ways to procrastinate writing an essay while still seeming productive, so here we are!

The truth about Heroine is that it's by no means a bad story. It's written in a tone that's harsh and unapologetic, which I admire Mindy McGinnis for. I know this is a common theme in he
Sana
Jun 24, 2018 marked it as anti-library  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
UGH, EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS COVER IS JUST :HEART EYES:

Also, no idea how she does it but I love the subjects she tackles in her books from a cli-fi about water scarcity to a historical YA about lobotomies to rape culture and now drug addiction. In other words, I stan one (1) Mindy McGinnis
Adah Udechukwu
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heroine was an inspiring read. Addictions are bad is a lesson to be learnt from the novel. If you do not control yourself and your addiction your life will be fucked up real bad.
Yna the Mood Reader
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
I admit to myself that I am a heroin user, while also updating in my mind what that actually means. I am not a wasted person. I am not prowling the streets. I am not an addict. I am a girl spinning her locker combination. I am a girl who got a B on her math test. I am a girl who has two holes on the inside of her arm, but they do not tell the whole story of me.

📚 Series:  No, Standalone.
📚 Genre: YA Realistic Fiction
📚 POV:  Frist person.
📚 Cliffhanger: No.

⚠ Content Warnings:  Graphic
Amy
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Star Rating: 3.5 Stars

Holy crap, this book is ROUGH. This book opens up with a trigger warning and it is real. This book is graphic, inte
L A i N E Y
“I’m exhausted in all the ways I’m supposed to be strong.”

One word: MISERABLE.

I expect more, really. Last year I read female of the species and it was so good so I definitely picked this up with a lot of expectation and that might be the downfall of my own making.

Don’t get me wrong, this is not a bad book, it’s not even a ‘meh’. I just think Mickey doesn’t have that much personality for me to really get invested in her suffering. Oh I do sympathize with her for sure. And the author did a good j
Cesar
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars.

Heroine was an underwhelming book. With the premise of an athlete spiraling into the world of drug abuse, it should've invoked strong feelings of how someone can be fine one day but everything goes south when they start taking drugs. Except, it wasn't.

Being that Heroine tackles drug abuse and how it affects the individual taking the drug and the people around them, I was expecting more from it. And what I got, as a result, was a story that feels... adequate. It's a shame because I want
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Mickey fractures her hip just a few months before senior year softball season. After one prescription of OxyContin, she’s hooked. Good thing she has it under control. She’s not an addict like Josie, the girl who gives her pills. She can stop any time she wants. Mickey just needs to be ready for spring training. She’d never crush and snort the pills. Until she does. She’d never mix them with water and shoot them into her veins. Until she does. She’d never switch to heroin. She can stop any time s ...more
h o l l i s
Never let it be said that McGinnis takes the easy way out in her books. Each one, at least those that I've read, handles something different and, usually, very dark. HEROINE tackles the opioid crisis through the lens of an injured sports star who is desperate to return to her previous incarnation as strong, capable, and on the fast track.

I could absolutely appreciate (whilst also being mostly terrified) of this downward spiral and the desperation that Mickey was driven to just to dull the pain,
Bethany
Dec 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Woooo this was a lot! I probably wouldn’t have picked it up if it wasn’t for a challenge, (check out the reading vlog here: https://youtu.be/fulfL7aE4vA ) but I’m not upset I did. Heroine is a dark and gritty look at the realities of opioid abuse and drug addiction, and how a normal teen can descend into a very dark place in the wake of trauma.

When Mickey sustains a severe leg injury in a car crash, she is prescribed strong painkillers at the start of a long route to recovery. She is a competit

• Patron Saints of Nothing
  • With the Fire on High
  • Let Me Hear a Rhyme
  • Clap When You Land
  • Devils Within
  • Dear Justyce (Dear Martin, #2)
  • Girls on the Verge
  • Ordinary Hazards
  • A Heart in a Body in the World
  • How to Make Friends with the Dark

Mindy McGinnis is an Edgar Award-winning novelist who writes across multiple genres, including post-apocalyptic, historical, thriller, contemporary, mystery, and fantasy.

While her settings may change, you can always count on Mindy’s books to deliver grit, truth, and an unflinching look at humanity and the world around us.