Start by marking “Stop Doing That Sh*t: End Self-Sabotage and Demand Your Life Back” as Want to Read:
Stop Doing That Sh*t: End Self-Sabotage and Demand Your Life Back

Stop Doing That Sh*t: End Self-Sabotage and Demand Your Life Back

From the author of the New York Times and international bestseller Unfu*k Yourself, Gary John Bishop presents a no-holds-barred guide to breaking through our cycles of self-sabotage to get what we want out of life.

In Unfu*k Yourself, Gary John Bishop told us it was time to stop making excuses—to recognize and take responsibility for the negative self-talk holding us back.

I
Audiobook
Published May 7th 2019 by HarperAudio (first published 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Stop Doing That Sh*t, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stop Doing That Sh*t

Start your review of Stop Doing That Sh*t: End Self-Sabotage and Demand Your Life Back
Jenny Garone
Jul 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: self-help, 2019-read
Dang. I was hoping for Jen Sincero-esque storytelling, wisdom & humor. This did not deliver. I felt like he didn't say anything! 227 pages could have been condensed to about 27. ...more
Kirsty ❤️
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had mixed views on the previous book, Unfu*k Yourself, and about a third of the way through the latest one I was still unsure if this was a series I'd get much out of. Mostly so far I'd just felt that I'd been shouted at. Then we get to the 3 Saboteurs. I know I'm guilty of self sabotage but have to work out exactly what I'm doing and why.
I found this part the most useful as it looks at how you view yourself, other people and life in general. Then I managed to make loads of notes and come to
Jonathan H. LATER
This review was inspired by my annotations. To view all my detailed annotations you are welcome to join my Patreon page (John Lawchamp). For $0.99 you can read my favorite lines and excerpts from the book with additional personal thoughts. The annotations are released once the review of that book has been posted on Goodreads. Why spend $15.00 on a book you are not invested in when you can explore the main topics for a fraction of the price? Visit Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Lawchamp

John Law
Latasha
As far as the genre goes, this book was incredibly refreshing. Not only does he say “the universe does not have your back,” but he also tells you all the shit you do or don’t do in your life is your own fault. I mean, them’s fightin’ words in the world of self help. How dare he tell people they’re their own problem?

Genuinely enjoyed that part of it. But aside from the shock and awe of how Bishop breaks rank, I can’t say it was a revelation to me. But I devoured it in a few days which is hard for
Claudia Alderman
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Laura Rash
Nothing absolutely mind blowing here that you may not have already heard or read in other books. But a delightful straightforward and bluntly honest new way to look at your life and maybe why you’re not happy with every aspect of it. I think everyone could take away something from reading this.
Karen M
85% of book was focused on defining the saboteurs and only 15% to finding the way forward. Disappointing. I like the authors “tell it like it is” format; it just seemed rushed at the end and half baked. Not a lot of depth here.
Antonella
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very to the point and told with lots of humor.
Madeline
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Gary John Bishop has some great information.

His intention is to teach one to: “Stare your own truths in your face.”
Kris
Jun 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not super revelatory, and it's going to piss a whole lot of people off who will have to start taking responsibility for their choices, or lack-thereof, but it's a quick and decent reminder. to get off your ass and do something. Also, I highly recommend you listen to this one on audio because the author reads it to you in his Scottish brogue. Ain't nothin' wrong with that. ...more
Nada Majdy
As always Gary continues to swears like a trooper in all of his books, but his passion and efforts to change and help people's mentality is showing especially since I listened to the audio book narrated by none other than Gary himself with his Scottish accent which I highly recommend. Again such a short, cut to the chase kind of book so it'll definitely be helpful for people willing to change. ...more
Susan L Vesper
Jun 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is just plain bullshit! After spending a lot of time thinking about the things the author says we need to know there is no point at the end. Now that we know the issues he says are so important what do we do about or with them? What a waste of time and money.
J. Sharp
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nothing new however, this book takes you through self-revelation that is at times painful to think about, but helpful in the revelation.
Susan
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bunch of babble
Stephanie Hubbard
Jun 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I’m just not a self help book kind of girl I guess. It was made tolerable by his colorful language but otherwise just as boring as any other self help book.
Sareh Ghasemi
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it
The most thought-provoking thing in our thought-provoking time is that we are still not thinking.

"Heidegger"
Dani S
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely good for anyone that needs a kick in the arse to get motivated and has issues with self-sabotage. If you're easily offended, perhaps this book isn't for you. ...more
Somood
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

“That’s what we call a life. Wanting new; addicted to the familiar.” -
First of all, I read this book with his Scottish accent on mind. And that was fun! ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Secondly, Let me share with you a bit of my thoughts on this book. It was great. One of my favorite conversations this year. Glad to have gotten to know #GaryJohnBishop and looking for more of conversations soon. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
This book basically speaks to you in a very straightforward
Sean Lynn
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
In Stop Doing That Sh*t Gary John Bishop tries to get to the heart of self-sabotaging behavior, by attempting to consciously access destructive sub-conscious beliefs.

I'm generally not a fan of self motivation/help books. I read Bishop's previous book Unfu*k Yourself, and while I found it entertaining, it didn't really do anything for me. When I heard the premise of Stop Doing That Sh*t, I was even more skeptical.

It was not long after I started, however, that things began to click. What he said,
Dorie
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Stop Doing That Sh*t:End Self-Sabotage and Demand Your Life Back.
by Gary John Bishop
2019
Harper One
4.0 / 5.0

This book is an excellent resource to begin enriching your life by being honest, and humble about your own self. It is not for the sensitive or weak -of-heart. It is straight forward, in your face and unashamedly brash. I thought it was really harsh at first, until I realized he is trying to reach those that need a dose of reality that's severe enough to get those stubborn to see a severe e
Cecelia Beyer
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I think I’ve read just too many of this sort of motivational-with-added-snark sorts of books. Too long, irritating tone that isn’t as funny as it thinks it is, and took too long to unpack the “what is wrong with you” part before getting to, and spending too little time on, the “how to fix it” part.
Wendy
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An extremely blunt, in your face look at how your past influences your present. Using the future you envision to focus on rather than the negatives from your past is an important aspect to creating the life you want to live.

Dora
May 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting perspective on how to re-frame your mindset by accepting your emotional baggage, but focus instead on an any thing is still possible future.

Fast read.
Alyson Kent
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Ayny
Fantastic. I heard a Scottish accent in my head will I read it. made it betterrr
Audrey
Dec 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I'm addicted to this series. Great takeaways and direct advice on what's holding you back and how to fix it. This is not your light and fluffy self-help and there's no sugar coating happening here.

I listened to the audiobook, which Gary John Bishop narrates, and read along with the hardcopy which is marked up for reference like crazy.

I'm about to dive into the next book in the series. This series won't be for everyone, but it hit the mark for me. Changing my life is all on me and now is the tim
H.M. Gooden
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A nice, sweary, get over yourself self help book, the author (go for the audiobook for the accent and scottish ranting! Sooo much better!) gives you a proverbial kick in the head.
You want the dream life? Live life like you’re going to get there and stop dragging the past around. No easy answers here so if that’s what you want you ain’t getting it, but if you enjoy a good “smarten up buttercup” this is your book!
Sharon :)
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cant believe this book was just as good (if not better) then his first. Learned alot!
Kathy Van Der Dyke
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is incredible - it is a truth I’ve needed to hear because my future is worth giving my life to!! After I’ve had a chance to put into action the insights I will for sure read it again! No more self sabotage!!!!
Doug
Jul 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shouldn’t be done, by the likes of me, as an audiobook. Much as I like / need the audio format to chip away at my tbr pile, the inventory and introspection required pencil and noodle time, that a-format doesn’t dovetail nicely with.
Material was useful. A bit like Daniel’s writings over the years. Useful. Familiar. Good.
I liked the sponge word picture.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Kummeli – Erittäin hyvin sanottu
  • Badass Habits: Cultivate the Awareness, Boundaries, and Daily Upgrades You Need to Make Them Stick
  • Get Out of Your Own Way: A Skeptic's Guide to Growth and Fulfillment
  • Everything is F*cked: A Book About Hope
  • Didn't See That Coming: Putting Life Back Together When Your World Falls Apart
  • Katiska - Suuri huumevyyhti
  • You Are a Badass Every Day: How to Keep Your Motivation Strong, Your Vibe High, and Your Quest for Transformation Unstoppable
  • 75 Hard: A Tactical Guide to Winning the War with Yourself
  • Mastering Conversation Skills Goodbye Awkwardness. Learn To Master The Art Of Conversation And Be
  • Calm the F*ck Down: How to Control What You Can and Accept What You Can't So You Can Stop Freaking Out and Get On With Your Life
  • One Decision: The First Step to a Better Life
  • Halkaisukirvesmies: elämä ja vähäisemmät teot
  • The Redwood Asylum: A Paranormal Horror
  • Suo, kuokka ja Hollywood
  • Unfuck Your Brain: Using Science to Get Over Anxiety, Depression, Anger, Freak-Outs, and Triggers
  • Tinder-päiväkirja 2 - Miesten puolella
  • The Antiracist: How to Start the Conversation about Race and Take Action
  • The Artist's Journey: The Wake of the Hero's Journey and the Lifelong Pursuit of Meaning
Gary John Bishop began his life journey in Glasgow, Scotland. The grit and wit of his early life have contributed to his tough-love, in-your-face approach to coaching. Coupled with world-class training and development, Gary has created a potent brew of effectiveness and the ability to reach through the crust of people's lives and root out the deeper issues that consume them and tie them to their h ...more

News & Interviews

Looking for some out-of-this-world reading this summer? Then we suggest taking a peek at these highly anticipated young adult books, all...
“It’s not the sucky life you seemingly have but your dialogue about your life that has you by the throat, and the vast majority of that dialogue is blissfully unnoticed and therefore unexplored by you. It’s running in the background.” 4 likes
“Without ambition one starts nothing. Without work one finishes nothing. The prize will not be sent to you. You have to win it.” 2 likes