Start by marking “Stop Doing That Sh*t: End Self-Sabotage and Demand Your Life Back” as Want to Read:
Stop Doing That Sh*t: End Self-Sabotage and Demand Your Life Back

Stop Doing That Sh*t: End Self-Sabotage and Demand Your Life Back

From the author of the New York Times and international bestseller Unfu*k Yourself, Gary John Bishop presents a no-holds-barred guide to breaking through our cycles of self-sabotage to get what we want out of life.

In Unfu*k Yourself, Gary John Bishop told us it was time to stop making excuses—to recognize and take responsibility for the negative self-talk holding us back.

Audiobook
Published May 7th 2019 by HarperAudio

To ask other readers questions about Stop Doing That Sh*t, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stop Doing That Sh*t

Start your review of Stop Doing That Sh*t: End Self-Sabotage and Demand Your Life Back
John Lawchamp (YouTube)
This review was inspired by my annotations. To view all my detailed annotations you are welcome to join my Patreon page (John Lawchamp). For $0.99 you can read my favorite lines and excerpts from the book with additional personal thoughts. The annotations are released once the review of that book has been posted on Goodreads. Why spend $15.00 on a book you are not invested in when you can explore the main topics for a fraction of the price? Visit Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Lawchamp

John Lawchamp’s Review:
I
Jenny Garone
Jul 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: self-help, 2019-read
Dang. I was hoping for Jen Sincero-esque storytelling, wisdom & humor. This did not deliver. I felt like he didn't say anything! 227 pages could have been condensed to about 27.
Kirsty ❤️
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had mixed views on the previous book, Unfu*k Yourself, and about a third of the way through the latest one I was still unsure if this was a series I'd get much out of. Mostly so far I'd just felt that I'd been shouted at. Then we get to the 3 Saboteurs. I know I'm guilty of self sabotage but have to work out exactly what I'm doing and why.
I found this part the most useful as it looks at how you view yourself, other people and life in general. Then I managed to make loads of notes and co
Latasha
As far as the genre goes, this book was incredibly refreshing. Not only does he say “the universe does not have your back,” but he also tells you all the shit you do or don’t do in your life is your own fault. I mean, them’s fightin’ words in the world of self help. How dare he tell people they’re their own problem?

Genuinely enjoyed that part of it. But aside from the shock and awe of how Bishop breaks rank, I can’t say it was a revelation to me. But I devoured it in a few days which
Antonella
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, non-fiction
Very to the point and told with lots of humor.
Karen M
85% of book was focused on defining the saboteurs and only 15% to finding the way forward. Disappointing. I like the authors “tell it like it is” format; it just seemed rushed at the end and half baked. Not a lot of depth here.
Laura Rash
Nothing absolutely mind blowing here that you may not have already heard or read in other books. But a delightful straightforward and bluntly honest new way to look at your life and maybe why you’re not happy with every aspect of it. I think everyone could take away something from reading this.
Madeline
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Gary John Bishop has some great information.

His intention is to teach one to: “Stare your own truths in your face.”
Wendy
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An extremely blunt, in your face look at how your past influences your present. Using the future you envision to focus on rather than the negatives from your past is an important aspect to creating the life you want to live.

Dora
May 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting perspective on how to re-frame your mindset by accepting your emotional baggage, but focus instead on an any thing is still possible future.

Fast read.
Stephanie Hubbard
Jun 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I’m just not a self help book kind of girl I guess. It was made tolerable by his colorful language but otherwise just as boring as any other self help book.
J. Sharp
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nothing new however, this book takes you through self-revelation that is at times painful to think about, but helpful in the revelation.
Dani S
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely good for anyone that needs a kick in the arse to get motivated and has issues with self-sabotage. If you're easily offended, perhaps this book isn't for you.
Dorie
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Stop Doing That Sh*t:End Self-Sabotage and Demand Your Life Back.
by Gary John Bishop
2019
Harper One
4.0 / 5.0

This book is an excellent resource to begin enriching your life by being honest, and humble about your own self. It is not for the sensitive or weak -of-heart. It is straight forward, in your face and unashamedly brash. I thought it was really harsh at first, until I realized he is trying to reach those that need a dose of reality that's severe enough to
Sareh Ghasemi
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it
The most thought-provoking thing in our thought-provoking time is that we are still not thinking.

"Heidegger"
Claudia Alderman
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Joyce Goshay
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Uncomfortable but in the best way...
Alyson Kent
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Susan L Vesper
Jun 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is just plain bullshit! After spending a lot of time thinking about the things the author says we need to know there is no point at the end. Now that we know the issues he says are so important what do we do about or with them? What a waste of time and money.
Susan
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bunch of babble
Sean Lynn
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
In Stop Doing That Sh*t Gary John Bishop tries to get to the heart of self-sabotaging behavior, by attempting to consciously access destructive sub-conscious beliefs.

I'm generally not a fan of self motivation/help books. I read Bishop's previous book Unfu*k Yourself, and while I found it entertaining, it didn't really do anything for me. When I heard the premise of Stop Doing That Sh*t, I was even more skeptical.

It was not long after I started, however, that things began to click. What he
Juan
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another self-help, motivational, productivity book.. yet a whole different approach to your own bullshit. Guides you to identify 3 aspects of you that became a roadblock and shows you how to overcome them to begin fresh, with a new you in mind.
Karyn
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
That accent though! Am still thinking about the conclusions I have reached about the world and myself days after finishing.
Kirstin Steele
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Brittany
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Man I needed this read. I don’t usually care for self help books because they are usually all the same but this was exactly what I needed to read!
Cecelia Beyer
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I think I’ve read just too many of this sort of motivational-with-added-snark sorts of books. Too long, irritating tone that isn’t as funny as it thinks it is, and took too long to unpack the “what is wrong with you” part before getting to, and spending too little time on, the “how to fix it” part.
K.S. Thompson
This is not an easy read. Not by a long shot. If you aren't interested in owning your shit, you're going to find you are not going to like what the author has to say. You are going to resist. Toss the book across the room. Tell everyone who will stand still long enough that this book is a bunch of bull.

If, on the other hand, you are ready to move forward and understand that you have to release the past in order to do that, you will most likely find this book helpful. I read through it twice in
Ayny
Fantastic. I heard a Scottish accent in my head will I read it. made it betterrr
Jerrod Griebel
A straight forward and potty-mouthed writer, Gary John Bishop leads readers through the three saboteurs (that we believe as we keep sabotaging our own lives) in his recent book “Stop Doing That Sh*t.”

While I do think he has some very valid points, I struggled to really get a clear sense of his breakthrough idea in the end. The saboteurs? Got it. How and why I keep self-sabotaging? Got it. But picture my future and commit to making it happen? Wait, what? I want to kill off the saboteu
Diana
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When my friend gave me this book to read I picked it up right away, but took my time digesting what I was reading probably because it’s not the typical book I’d buy.

It’s definitely not the kind of book set to make you believe “the universe has your back,” instead it’s more 80% of healing is identifying your own sabotaging ways and 20% fixing them by owning them. Not the typical “self help” book I’d expect. Bishop may even be a bit harsh for those not really ready to own their own hur
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Everything is F*cked: A Book About Hope
  • The Miracle Equation: The Two Decisions That Turn Your Biggest Goals from Possible, to Probable, to Inevitable
  • Calm the F*ck Down: How to Control What You Can and Accept What You Can't So You Can Stop Freaking Out and Get On With Your Life
  • You Are a Badass Every Day: How to Keep Your Motivation Strong, Your Vibe High, and Your Quest for Transformation Unstoppable
  • How to Stay Human in a F*cked-Up World: Mindfulness Practices for Real Life
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • Obłęd
  • The Path Made Clear: Discovering Your Life's Direction and Purpose
  • The Latte Factor: Why You Don't Have to Be Rich to Live Rich
  • The Greatest You: Face Reality, Release Negativity, and Live Your Purpose
  • Do It Scared: Finding the Courage to Face Your Fears, Overcome Adversity, and Create a Life You Love
  • Everything is Figureoutable: How One Simple Belief Can Help Us Overcome Any Obstacle and Create Unstoppable Success
  • There's No Plan B for Your A-Game: Be the Best in the World at What You Do
  • The Art of Noticing: 131 Ways to Spark Creativity, Find Inspiration, and Discover Joy in the Everyday
  • Talking to Strangers: What We Should Know about the People We Don't Know
  • Girl, Stop Apologizing: A Shame-Free Plan for Embracing and Achieving Your Goals
  • Game Changers: What Leaders, Innovators, and Mavericks Do to Win at Life
  • 13 Things Mentally Strong Women Don't Do: Own Your Power, Channel Your Confidence, and Find Your Authentic Voice for a Life of Meaning and Joy
Gary John Bishop began his life journey in Glasgow, Scotland. The grit and wit of his early life have contributed to his tough-love, in-your-face approach to coaching. Coupled with world-class training and development, Gary has created a potent brew of effectiveness and the ability to reach through the crust of people's lives and root out the deeper issues that consume them and tie them to their h ...more
“It’s not the sucky life you seemingly have but your dialogue about your life that has you by the throat, and the vast majority of that dialogue is blissfully unnoticed and therefore unexplored by you. It’s running in the background.” 1 likes
“Your past dominates your potential. You don’t live a life of “anything is possible”; you live a life of “some things are possible, given my past.” 0 likes