Start by marking “Queen Bee (Lowcountry Tales, #12)” as Want to Read:
Queen Bee (Lowcountry Tales, #12)

Queen Bee

(Lowcountry Tales #12)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  12,118 ratings  ·  1,471 reviews
New York Times-bestselling author Dorothea Benton Frank returns to the American South in this latest novel about friendship and love that is full of heart, humor, and rich description.

A woman wounded by her past comes to Sullivan's Island, South Carolina to find new meaning in life and to find herself. As she takes up a new hobby of beekeeping, she begins to come into her
Published May 28th 2019 by William Morrow (first published May 14th 2019)

·  12,118 ratings  ·  1,471 reviews

Start your review of Queen Bee (Lowcountry Tales, #12)
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kicking off my summer reads with a Lowcountry story. ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

I always kick off the summer months with a Dorothea Benton Frank novel, and I have since she first came on the scene as an author, and I was living in South Carolina. She has her own special, fun style, and I couldn’t wait to read her latest effort.

As always, set in the Lowcountry of South Carolina, we have a couple kinds of queen bees in this novel! The first is the matriarch of the family, Katherine, known as QB; she is mom to H
Katie
May 29, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was very disappointed with this book. I thought the characters were shallow, the plot was underdeveloped, and the dialogue was beyond silly and cliched. This book felt like Ms. Frank tossed it off to fulfill a contractual obligation, without putting forth much more than minimal effort. She had so many random story lines going on, and not one of them was particularly plausible or given any depth. It was more like a writing smorgasbord that a fine literary meal. I found myself being annoyed, and ...more
Berit☀️✨
🐝ᴄʜᴀʀᴍ. ᴡɪᴛ. ᴡᴀʀᴍᴛʜ.🐝

Dorothea Benton Frank has crafted a delightful story bursting with the perfect amount of heart, quirk, and southern charm. Holly is 30 and she still lives at home caring for her unappreciative mother who is a bit of a hypochondriac. Holly is certain she will eventually land her dream job as a teacher at Sullivan’s Island elementary school. She is also certain that she plays an important part in the lives of the two little boys that live next-door, and a little less certain t
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

My mother sighed so hard then that the National Weather Service issued small craft warnings.

Cleopatra could not have put any more intention and effort into the seduction of Mark Antony. The only things I didn’t have were a CD of Barry White’s and a scented candle.

There are no more big choices at our age. You’ve made them. Now you have to wait for a promotion to do just what you’re doing, except more of it, for some stupid incremental raise. It’s a big fat snore.

Leslie stayed home
Kathy Barrow
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
A longtime fan of Franks who eagerly awaits her new release each summer. Prepared to be entertained with a fun read, this was a great disappointment. It focused heavily on the social/political issues of the day which bombard us in every form of communication from news to commercials, printed ads and commentaries. There is no escaping it and a summer read should be exactly that, an escape from the depressing, negative drudgery that consumes our culture!
Heather
Jul 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever read in my entire life.
April Dodd
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
I miss her early books.
Chris
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an absolutely enjoyable story! Set in the Lowcountry (y’all know where that is, right)? Southern charm and hospitality; constant pitchers of iced tea in the fridge or on the kitchen table. Shrimp ‘n grits. This is Sullivan’s Island, South Carolina.

There’s the QB (Queen Bee), the matriarch.

There’s Leslie, fun loving daughter of QB who married up a guy and went off island. Holly, her sister, calls him “the wallet.” Holly also thinks her sister is self absorbed. She is. Or was. And then she
Jamie Rosenblit
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
Is it really summer without a new Dorothea Benton Frank novel to read?

I love returning to the Lowcountry and the quirky families that live there every summer with Frank's novels and Queen Bee is no exception. Queen Bee brings us an actual Queen Bee (in the form of a grouchy old mother) as well as the Queen Bee of the Honeybee variety - and 3,000 others in the hive! Sisters Holly (she of the beekeeper fame) and Leslie are both struggling to find themselves, Holly with her widower neighbor and hi
Tammy
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: release-2019
A fun lowcountry tale that’s delightful to read. Not only was it a good story taking place on Sullivan’s Island, I loved the information on bees. From sweet Holly and her love for her neighbor's children, to her crazy sister and cranky mother, I loved how their story flowed and kept me intrigued.
If you need a quick and easy summer read, this is it. 🐝
mindful.librarian ☀️
(Free review copy) I’m a diehard DBF fan but this one just wasn’t my favorite of hers 😢 so much happening without a lot of depth. I’m excited for her next one being up to her usual standards though!
Marlene
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Reading Reality

This book is a fun read and a hot mess at the same time. I would have thought those two things would be mutually exclusive, but after reading Queen Bee, they definitely are not.

Let me explain…

But first, I’d like to perform a bit of public service. The blurb for this book bears virtually no resemblance to the actual book. The book the blurb represents might be a very good book, but it certainly isn’t this book. At all.

To begin with, Holly Jensen doesn’t come
Dianne
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow! What a blend of characters and tales.

I had a tiny bit of difficulty getting into this book, but once in it, I could not put it down. The author managed to blend three separate stories and lives into one complete book without me being annoyed or feeling as if the book was more of a series of novellas. This is something other authors have a lot of trouble with.

We have Holly who considers herself as a spinster at the age of thirty who is in love with her across the street neighbor. He is just
Michelle
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fun read!
Barbara
Loved the witty & funny remarks in this story. I laughed a lot throughout this read. The characters were funny and colorful . I found it interesting how both sisters were able to see people for who they really were & did not hesitate to speak their minds. They were insightful, open minded and accepting.

Another fun book by Dorothea Benton Frank- she does not disappoint.
Marilyn
Jul 12, 2020 rated it liked it
I don’t do this very often but Queen Bee by Dorothea Benton Frank is going on my DNF list. It was going nowhere and it was torture to read. I got about a quarter the way through the book and just had to put it down. It just was not for me. I won the kindle version of this book in a goodreads give away. It just wasn’t for me. 2.5 stars rounded up.
Andrea
Jul 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2019
This is my first book by this author, and I was taken aback by how tremendously meanspirited the main character was, particularly in the first 100 pages. From the way she's written, I can tell I was supposed to find her sweet and confiding, but her gossip is tremendously mean, and she's ruthless about her mom and her mom's weight.

And the dialogue is cringe-worthy.
Lesa
This must be my South Carolina week. First, Patti Callahan Henry's The Favorite Daughter, and then Dorothea Benton Frank's Queen Bee about a woman who doesn't feel as if she's a favorite at all. The two books couldn't be any more different, yet they both have wonderful characters who learn about family and love.

Holly McNee Jenson has created her own little world on Sullivan's Island. At thirty, she's still trying to get a job teaching in the elementary school. In the meantime, she has her honey
Karen
Jun 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This was better than the last book but still very superficial. I never felt like I knew any of the characters. I keep hoping Dorothea will go back to her earlier writing style, those books were so good. These recent books are like reading a long People magazine.
Maureen Caupp
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun story full of family, family drama, love, and humor. Benton pulled me into to the story and I felt like I really got to know her quirky, flawed, lovable, and well imagined characters.

I listened to this book on audio and enjoyed the narrator's voice.
Julie
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
started off great but the story ran a little long, was far fetched and the dialogue was too kitschy for me. Bummer
Mellie Antoinette
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
“It takes a long time to tell someone where the bear goes in the buckwheat.”

Talk about scare bears in fields of buckwheat! This was my first DBF novel and I have to say, the book design is GOR-geous! Yellow hive endpapers, regally crowned honey bees adorning each chapter and a shimmery beach #covercandy scene. Best of all, a quick comforting read tucked gently within the pages. Enjoyable!
Michele
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This was the second book I have read by Dorothea Benton Frank. One of the things that should be noted is that she has the ability to develop characters in such detail that you feel like you've known them for years. Another plus for me when I read one of her books is the fact that they are set in the Charleston/Low Country part of the South Carolina coast. Since I grew up vacationing in this area, I love to read her books and feel like I'm back there again.

Queen Bee was a lovely story about real
Brittany
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Queen Bee is the first Dorothea Benton Frank novel I have read. I felt like the author and I could be good friends by the end of the novel. I pictured being at the family's home in the novel drinking sweet tea and watching the bees buzz around the flowers. Queen Bee is a really quirky, fun novel for summer. I look forward to reading many more novels by the author.

Centered around two sisters and the mom, or "Queen Bee" as they call her, the the three ladies are enjoying life on Sullivan's Island
Jo Dervan
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Holly Jensen, a 30 year old young woman, lived a very placid life with her mother on Sullivan’s Island. Holly had a teaching degree and hoped to get employed as a teacher at Sullivan Island Elementary school one day. In the mean time she substitute taught at the school when needed. Holly also took care of her Mom, Katherine aka Queen Bee. Katherine had taken to her bed 11 years earlier after Holly’s father left home and then divorced her. Holly also was a beekeeper and kept a bee hive in her yar ...more
Donna Arcara
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Wow, I hate writing bad reviews, particularly of an author's work I have enjoyed enormously in the past. I have been such a fan of Dorothea Benton Frank's other books, but this one was a huge disappointment to me. I found the story lines disjointed and the dialog not at all believable to the characters. A found myself shaking my head through much of the book, not liking the way Holly, Lindsay, the Queen Bee, Archie, or Charlie/Char reacted to situations; most seemed very forced and just way off ...more
Megan Upshaw
One of the most ridiculous books I’ve ever read, yet somehow compelling like a truck that’s turned over on the highway, spilling rubber ducks all over the road. The main character is such a Mary Sue that even her own sister is annoyed by her. No sense of logic to anyone’s decisions. There’s enough drama to keep me listening, but by the end I was more than ready for it to be over. Positive- the narrator does a good job, even with the SC accent.
Annarella
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A charming book I truly enjoyed. The characters are well developed and likable, the plot is engaging and entertaining.
I found this book both entertaining and enjoyable.
I look forward to reading other books by this author.
Recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Edelweiss for this ARC, all opinions are mine
Leah
Jun 20, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The setting, Sullivan's Island, and the food sound wonderful. The apiary and beekeeping were interesting. Those were the things that I liked. The characters made too many bad decisions for me to like them. I also didn't like the ending, but I wanted a different outcome.
Karen Ashmore
Aug 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Finally Dottie Frank is back in the game. She comes out with a new beach read every year and the last few have been shaky. So I am glad to announce she is once again a master of her craft with this story of a beekeeper and her Queen Bee mother who lives on, where else, Sullivan’s Island.
Play Book Tag: Queen Bee by Dorothea Benton Frank, 4 stars 3 17 Oct 08, 2020 04:17PM

• The Summer Guests
  • Sunset Beach
  • Surfside Sisters
  • 28 Summers
  • On Ocean Boulevard
  • Hello, Summer
  • Summer of '69
  • What Happens in Paradise (Paradise, #2)
  • The Summer of Sunshine and Margot
  • Window on the Bay
  • The Oysterville Sewing Circle
  • Girls of Summer
  • The Friends We Keep
  • Let It Snow
  • The Islanders
  • The Southern Side of Paradise (Peachtree Bluff #3)
  • A Week at the Shore
  • Feels Like Falling
Dorothea Benton Frank was a New York Times best-selling American novelist of Southern fiction. She worked in the apparel industry from 1972 until 1985 and then organized fundraisers as a volunteer, before becoming a novelist.

She is best known as the author of twenty novels placed in and around the Lowcountry of South Carolina.

Lowcountry Tales (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Sullivan's Island (Lowcountry Tales, #1)
  • Plantation (Lowcountry Tales, #2)
  • Isle of Palms (Lowcountry Tales, #3)
  • Shem Creek (Lowcountry Tales, #4)
  • Pawleys Island (Lowcountry Tales, #5)
  • Return to Sullivan's Island (Lowcountry Tales, #6)
  • Lowcountry Summer (Lowcountry Tales, #7)
  • Folly Beach (Lowcountry Tales, #8)
  • The Hurricane Sisters (Lowcountry Tales, #9)
  • All the Single Ladies (Lowcountry Tales, #10)