Start by marking “Queen Bee” as Want to Read:
Queen Bee

Queen Bee

(Lowcountry Tales #12)

New York Times-bestselling author Dorothea Benton Frank returns to the American South in this latest novel about friendship and love that is full of heart, humor, and rich description.

A woman wounded by her past comes to Sullivan's Island, South Carolina to find new meaning in life and to find herself. As she takes up a new hobby of beekeeping, she begins to come into her
Published May 28th 2019 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about Queen Bee, please sign up.
Mary-carol Geez, too bad the person who wrote this didn't read the book. It was great, I read it in less than two days because I couldn't put it down. The only…moreGeez, too bad the person who wrote this didn't read the book. It was great, I read it in less than two days because I couldn't put it down. The only reason it took me that long was because I had to work!!!(less)

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kicking off my summer reads with a Lowcountry story. ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

I always kick off the summer months with a Dorothea Benton Frank novel, and I have since she first came on the scene as an author, and I was living in South Carolina. She has her own special, fun style, and I couldn’t wait to read her latest effort.

As always, set in the Lowcountry of South Carolina, we have a couple kinds of queen bees in this novel! The first is the matriarch of the family, Katherine, known as QB; she is mom to Holly
Berit☀️✨
🐝ᴄʜᴀʀᴍ. ᴡɪᴛ. ᴡᴀʀᴍᴛʜ.🐝

Dorothea Benton Frank has crafted a delightful story bursting with the perfect amount of heart, quirk, and southern charm. Holly is 30 and she still lives at home caring for her unappreciative mother who is a bit of a hypochondriac. Holly is certain she will eventually land her dream job as a teacher at Sullivan’s Island elementary school. She is also certain that she plays an important part in the lives of the two little boys that live next-door, and a little less certain t
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

My mother sighed so hard then that the National Weather Service issued small craft warnings.

Cleopatra could not have put any more intention and effort into the seduction of Mark Antony. The only things I didn’t have were a CD of Barry White’s and a scented candle.

There are no more big choices at our age. You’ve made them. Now you have to wait for a promotion to do just what you’re doing, except more of it, for some stupid incremental raise. It’s a big fat snore.

Leslie stayed home
Katie
May 29, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was very disappointed with this book. I thought the characters were shallow, the plot was underdeveloped, and the dialogue was beyond silly and cliched. This book felt like Ms. Frank tossed it off to fulfill a contractual obligation, without putting forth much more than minimal effort. She had so many random story lines going on, and not one of them was particularly plausible or given any depth. It was more like a writing smorgasbord that a fine literary meal. I found myself being annoyed, and ...more
Jamie
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
Is it really summer without a new Dorothea Benton Frank novel to read?

I love returning to the Lowcountry and the quirky families that live there every summer with Frank's novels and Queen Bee is no exception. Queen Bee brings us an actual Queen Bee (in the form of a grouchy old mother) as well as the Queen Bee of the Honeybee variety - and 3,000 others in the hive! Sisters Holly (she of the beekeeper fame) and Leslie are both struggling to find themselves, Holly with her widower neighbor and hi
Kate ☀️ Olson
(Free review copy) I’m a diehard DBF fan but this one just wasn’t my favorite of hers 😢 so much happening without a lot of depth. I’m excited for her next one being up to her usual standards though!
Lesa
This must be my South Carolina week. First, Patti Callahan Henry's The Favorite Daughter, and then Dorothea Benton Frank's Queen Bee about a woman who doesn't feel as if she's a favorite at all. The two books couldn't be any more different, yet they both have wonderful characters who learn about family and love.

Holly McNee Jenson has created her own little world on Sullivan's Island. At thirty, she's still trying to get a job teaching in the elementary school. In the meantime, she has her honey
Dianne
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow! What a blend of characters and tales.

I had a tiny bit of difficulty getting into this book, but once in it, I could not put it down. The author managed to blend three separate stories and lives into one complete book without me being annoyed or feeling as if the book was more of a series of novellas. This is something other authors have a lot of trouble with.

We have Holly who considers herself as a spinster at the age of thirty who is in love with her across the street neighbor. He is just
Michele
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arc
This was the second book I have read by Dorothea Benton Frank. One of the things that should be noted is that she has the ability to develop characters in such detail that you feel like you've known them for years. Another plus for me when I read one of her books is the fact that they are set in the Charleston/Low Country part of the South Carolina coast. Since I grew up vacationing in this area, I love to read her books and feel like I'm back there again.

Queen Bee was a lovely story about real
Kathy Barrow
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
A longtime fan of Franks who eagerly awaits her new release each summer. Prepared to be entertained with a fun read, this was a great disappointment. It focused heavily on the social/political issues of the day which bombard us in every form of communication from news to commercials, printed ads and commentaries. There is no escaping it and a summer read should be exactly that, an escape from the depressing, negative drudgery that consumes our culture!
Brittany
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Queen Bee is the first Dorothea Benton Frank novel I have read. I felt like the author and I could be good friends by the end of the novel. I pictured being at the family's home in the novel drinking sweet tea and watching the bees buzz around the flowers. Queen Bee is a really quirky, fun novel for summer. I look forward to reading many more novels by the author.

Centered around two sisters and the mom, or "Queen Bee" as they call her, the the three ladies are enjoying life on Sullivan's Island
April Dodd
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
I miss her early books.
Jo Dervan
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Holly Jensen, a 30 year old young woman, lived a very placid life with her mother on Sullivan’s Island. Holly had a teaching degree and hoped to get employed as a teacher at Sullivan Island Elementary school one day. In the mean time she substitute taught at the school when needed. Holly also took care of her Mom, Katherine aka Queen Bee. Katherine had taken to her bed 11 years earlier after Holly’s father left home and then divorced her. Holly also was a beekeeper and kept a bee hive in her yar ...more
Marlene
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Reading Reality

This book is a fun read and a hot mess at the same time. I would have thought those two things would be mutually exclusive, but after reading Queen Bee, they definitely are not.

Let me explain…

But first, I’d like to perform a bit of public service. The blurb for this book bears virtually no resemblance to the actual book. The book the blurb represents might be a very good book, but it certainly isn’t this book. At all.

To begin with, Holly Jensen doesn’t come
Asheley
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew I wanted to read this when Dorothea Benton Frank's name was attached. I cannot tell you how much I love her stories and settings.

Holly is thirty years old and still living at home with her mother, called the Queen Bee by everyone around because of her personality-she's loud, a bit rude, she's become less active recently and therefore gained some weight, and she's a hypochondriac. Holly's sister Leslie got married and left home years ago, leaving Holly to take care of her mother by hersel
Diane
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
After a few detours in her recent books, Dorothea Benton Frank returns to Sullivans Island off the coast of Charleston in her newest book, Queen Bee.

Thirty-year-old Holly Jensen lives with her critical and demanding mother, whom she and her sister Leslie have dubbed Queen Bee, or QB for short (and behind her back). Holly volunteers at the local library while she anxiously awaits for a teaching position to open up at the local elementary school.

Holly is a beekeeper, with a huge hive of bees in th
Donna Hines
Beekeeper Holly has a fascinating life keeping track of her bees but she's about to set sail on a whole new life when her bees become all the rage and talk of the town after a possible bee attack.
Now we have one dead and questions surrounding the entire bee environment that has been Holly's life and bread and butter.
It turns out the claims were not justified thankfully but that doesn't mean its all over at least not in being stung because another type of insect is about to sting and for Holly it
Lillian Rhaine
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a member of Library Thing, I was asked to review the e-book copy of Dorthea Benton Frank's newest book, Queen Bee.

Since I do not own a Kindle, I downloaded the Kindle app to my iPhone.

My favorite book written by Mrs. Frank is The Last Original Wife. If you haven't read it, pick up a copy and do so today. I highly recommend it!

I found this book easy to follow, and it kept my interest which is hard to do. I'm impatient. I enjoy the fact that Mrs. Frank describes the scenery in such vivid detai
Leah
Jun 20, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The setting, Sullivan's Island, and the food sound wonderful. The apiary and beekeeping were interesting. Those were the things that I liked. The characters made too many bad decisions for me to like them. I also didn't like the ending, but I wanted a different outcome.
Amy
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Another captivating story by Dorothea Benton Frank. I read it in two days! Great beach read.
Sue
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: southern-fiction
I have been a fan of Dorothea Benton Frank since I read her first book twenty years. When you start her books you know that you'll be back in the Lowcountry of South Carolina with a bunch of quirky characters and a great plot that will make you want to pack your bags and head to the beach.

Queen Bee has a dual meaning -- its what sisters Holly and Leslie call their mother - a grouchy woman who has pretty much given up on life since her husband left her years ago. Even though Holly and Leslie are
Chris Markley
When your life is not working out as you dream what do you do? Holly talks to her bees about her dreams and frustrations and how her Mama, the Queen Bee, is driving her nuts.A story of family and change and finding what really makes you happy.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing an arc for my honest review
Anita Johnson
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I describe almost every book Dorothea has written as "my favorite of hers" and this one really is. She has a way of seeming like she's sitting on the porch with you and telling you what life has been like on Sullivan's Island, leaving nothing out. I laughed so many times, gasped and yelled loudly quite often and hated to see the story end. Or did it?
Vesna Dan
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first Dorothea Benton Frank novel
What a beautiful story of love, family, and bees!

Loved all the characters and story setting you felt like you were right there beside them

Highly recommend and can’t wait to read more books by this author!

Karen
Jun 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This was better than the last book but still very superficial. I never felt like I knew any of the characters. I keep hoping Dorothea will go back to her earlier writing style, those books were so good. These recent books are like reading a long People magazine.
Jane Metcalf
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have read Dorothea Benton Frank for years because she writes about one of my favorite places, South Carolina, Sullivan's Island in this book. She added a fun and fascinating aspect to the story making the main character a bee keeper. I learned alot about bees as well as enjoying some lovely quotes about bees, " Hope is the only bee that makes honey without flowers." Robert Green Ingersoll
Linda
Jun 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I always look forward to reading books by this author. This book is entertaining and there were times I felt as though I was watching a sitcom. I found the part about Las Vegas a little long, but I have to say I did enjoy reading the book. The characters were not believable (in my opinion), but humerous. The book is a good summer read.
Joanne Whitehouse
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. The beginning was a little difficult for me to get into, but once the story started to develop, I couldn't put it down! Romance, humour and a touch of mystery (along with some angering moments due to a character, lol). Pick it up for a great summer light read!
Melody
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good Low Country Summer reading.
Jennifer Pitman
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book kept me laughing out loud! It was a great relaxing fun book to read at the beach. I loved all the bee facts & the many relationships that formed in the Low Country & Vegas settings. The friendship between Holly & her bees was my favorite. It went in all different directions but ended in the most perfect way! Queen Bee & her sas made the book what it is- DBF is a fantastic author!
Dorothea Benton Frank is the New York Times best selling author of ten novels.

Dottie has appeared on NBC's Today Show, Parker Ladd's Book Talk and many local network affiliated television stations. She is a frequent speaker on creative writing and the creative process for students of all ages and in private venues as the National Arts Club, the Junior League of New York, Friends of the Library org

Lowcountry Tales (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Sullivan's Island (Lowcountry Tales, #1)
  • Plantation (Lowcountry Tales, #2)
  • Isle of Palms (Lowcountry Tales, #3)
  • Shem Creek (Lowcountry Tales, #4)
  • Pawleys Island (Lowcountry Tales, #5)
  • Return to Sullivan's Island (Lowcountry Tales, #6)
  • Lowcountry Summer (Lowcountry Tales, #7)
  • Folly Beach (Lowcountry Tales, #8)
  • The Hurricane Sisters
  • All the Single Ladies
“I just really thought children needed to believe in something greater than themselves. Everyone did. If they could manage it, that is.” 0 likes
“Life’s a gift, that’s why they call today the present.” 0 likes