Start by marking “Fan the Fame” as Want to Read:
Fan the Fame

Fan the Fame

Equal parts Rainbow Rowell’s Fangirl and Jennifer Mathieu’s Moxie, this fiercely crafted feminist YA novel takes on fandom, accountability, and doing the right thing. Even when it hurts.

Lainey wouldn’t mind lugging a camera around a video game convention for her brother, aka YouTube superstar Codemeister, except for one big problem. He’s funny and charming online, but behi
Published August 20th 2019 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Fan the Fame, please sign up.
Lola Definitely an older crowd, ages 14 and older. All of the characters are older teenagers or in their early twenties. There is some inappropriate langua…moreDefinitely an older crowd, ages 14 and older. All of the characters are older teenagers or in their early twenties. There is some inappropriate language. I feel like the concept of the book is better for older readers. (less)

Start your review of Fan the Fame
Anna Priemaza
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this book, and I love it a whole lot.
I can't wait to share it with you all.
Charlie Holmberg
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive an ARC of this book! While I did not agree with the choice one of the characters made in the end (I'm a strong believer that you cannot promote love with hate), I read through this book very quickly and really enjoyed it. It has a great depiction of what conventions are like, and the three point of view characters all had distinct voices, motivations, and goals. I especially love the outcome of Sam's story, and of course I love the feminist message! ...more
Vicky Again
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
i started this last night and finished it this morning and it's just as geeky and wonderful as her debut so please read it thank u very much ...more
Lianne Oelke
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Anna Priemaza is one of those rare authors who instantly sucks you in to her character's world, has you raging with the injustices of sexism, bullying, and discrimination, then leaves you cheering for the teens who fight to make the world a better place. The humour and heart in this book is unreal. Lainey is painfully relatable (even when I wanted to shake some sense into her), ShadowWillow is such a boss, Sam deserves every good thing in life, and I absolutely loved getting to know LumberLegs ( ...more
Madison
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fan The Fame is a relatable novel about responsibility, doing and saying the right thing and speaking up - or choosing not to. With three distinct character perspectives and voices, this is a clever and thought-provoking novel.

Lainey: not much into gaming. Her brother is a huge YouTube star and she can’t quite understand why so many people subscribe to his videos when he so racist, sexist and rude. Working for Cody, aka Codemeister, this summer means carting around his video gear at the gaming
KT
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book was so much *more* than I expected, which is saying a lot, seeing as I loved Kat & Meg Conquer the World. I think it's safe to say it's one of the most thoughtful books I've ever read. There are just so many layers to this story, and the multiple POVs add so much depth to each of those layers. I am beyond impressed by how fleshed out each character was and how many shades of gray each character displayed. No simple problems, no simple answers, no big rights or big wrongs (even in ...more
JW
Jan 03, 2020 added it
Shelves: dnf
DNF 41%

Started it last year and just never got back around to it. Guess it wasn’t my cup of tea. Not rating it and not counting it, since I didn’t complete it.
A.V. Geiger
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LumberLegs is back! I’ll admit that I squealed out loud when I saw his name in chapter one of FAN THE FAME. I spent a whole book fangirling over him with Kat and Meg, the characters from Priemaza’s first novel. But FAN THE FAME is not about fangirling and hero worship. In this book, we see what life is really like for those huge YouTube-famous gamers with subscriber counts in the millions, and for the aspiring “content creators” who’ll do anything for a shout-out. It’s not always pretty, but thi ...more
Krystianna
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
Fan the Fame was an absolute great read, with a serious focus on video games and feminism!

The Story of Fan the Fame

The story follows three different characters: Lainey, Sam, and Willow. Lainey is the sister of one of the most popular video game YouTubers ever - CodeMeister. Except, her brother is a complete ass, and nobody really knows it except
Caroline
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-debuts, arcs
I absolutely loved Anna Priemaza's debut novel, KAT AND MEG CONQUER THE WORLD, and so jumped at the chance to grab an advanced copy of her new one, FAN THE FAME. And she did not disappoint. Okay, I will admit to not being either a gamer or a con-goer, but even so, all that stuff gave me a fascinating setting for her storylines of building friendships, of standing up for what's right, of going out of your comfort zone etc still had me gripped. Such a good read! ...more
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
I knew I had to request Fan the Fame since I loved Kat and Meg Conquer the World.  Sadly, I didn't love this one as much, but it was still really good.

I know very little about cons and even less about gaming.  I had no idea that there are gaming youtubers that are so popular.  It does make sense since we see things like this for comics, books, tv shows, and other fandoms.  The majority of the book takes place at one con in Canada.  There is a very popular gaming group that are going to be there.
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fan the Fame is a Young Adult novel set in the world of gaming. It is my second book by this author. I previously read and enjoyed Kat and Meg Conquer the World.

This book has three 1st person POVs: Lainey, SamTheBrave and ShadowWillow.

Lainey is a high school student. Her brother Cody has millions of YouTube subscribers on his gaming channel. He belongs to the very popular Team Meister. Lainey is very concerned with some of the things that her brother says and does.

Sam is a boy who looks up to Co
Kirstin (chooselovebooks)
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of Fan the Fame by Anna Priemaza, in exchange for my honest review. So, a huge thank you to the people over at Frenzy for the early read!

Review
YEESSSSSSS! So good. Everything I wanted. 20/10. Nerdy. Feminist. Awesome. Why am I only speaking in fragments?! Haha.
Let me admit straight off, I picked this book up with VERY high expectations. Kat and Meg was one of my favourite books last year and the ADHD rep. meant the world to me. So even before reading the synopsis, I knew I woul
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really did love this book. I so want to read it over and over. So many fandom references which I truly love. I did enjoy how all the characters interact with each other. I'm looking forward to buying this book when it comes out. Will do good review on my blog closer to release date in Aug. 😁 ...more
Thamy
Aug 22, 2019 rated it liked it
A nice book for those interested in Youtubers.

We have three stories surrounding gamers on Youtube who meet in a convention for their favorite game—something similar to Minecraft. Lainey is the sister of a famous Youtuber, Shadow wants to boost her viewers even if she has to be used or use others for that, and Sam is a shy teenager who's found out that streaming his games help him with his anxiety.

It was a funny period to read this book, something the publisher can't have imagined but Minecraft h
Junie
Feb 02, 2021 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya, white-pine-2020
Kristine
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my most anticipated activities every year is going to my local gaming convention. It’s an opportunity to see new games in action, potentially meet some streamers I watch, and—the best part—to be surrounded by the utter enthusiasm of nerd gamer culture. So suffice to say that I was more than happy to hear that this book took place at one of these illustrious events: a convention centered around Anna Priemaza’s fictional game Legends of the Stone, which we first saw in the (fantastic) KAT A ...more
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this honest and well written novel about misogyny and bigotry in gaming/fandom. Once again, Priemaza addresses mental illness in a heartfelt and real way. The characters feel real and three dimensional. Lainey’s “burn it all down” mentality towards the patriarchy was relatable and so realistic for her age as a burgeoning young feminist (I can recognize so much of my younger self there!) and so many times I found myself just wanting to hug Sam. Well done!
Katie
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story is told from three perspectives over the course of a gaming convention. If you have read Kat and Meg Conquer the World you already know which fictional game I'm talking about. ;)

1.) Lainey – The sister to a gaming youtube star. She’s had enough of taking men’s crap and wants to make the world not so creepy. (Yes girl.) Her brother is one of the men she’s over and she plots to get him to realize he’s a jerk by showing the world his real personality. She plots to catch him on video bei
Jan Gangsei
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
FAN THE FAME is told from the three alternating perspectives of Lainey, SamTheBrave, and ShadowWillow, and centers on their weekend at a gaming conference with famous YouTuber CodeMeister (aka Cody, high school senior Lainey's 21-year-old brother). ShadowWillow is at the con as a panelist, but she also hopes her association with Code will help boost her up-and-coming streaming career (which she's spent a gap year after high school pursuing while her friends were off studying at university or tra ...more
Lola
Feb 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2021
So, umm...

...yeah.

“Dude, I’m famous. I can say whatever I want.” -page 268

Eh, 3.5 stars. It was funny and kept me entertained during an otherwise boring day. It was modern and realistic, which I liked. I felt like the author really understood teenagers and young adults in their 20s, and that made the book relatable, not to me personally, but to others. It was really cool how the plot was centered around YouTubers and a gaming convention, which was fresh, unique, and fun.
Kira Brighton
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed this one! I'm not a gamer, but my brothers are, so I know some about the world. I'm also a feminist, of course, and I deal with BFRBs like Sam does (mostly trichotillomania in my case). I appreciate the BFRB representation.

Content Warning: BFRBs, misogynistic and racist comments
dumplin’
Jun 03, 2021 rated it it was ok
1.88/5

not me finding out i probably have a skin picking disorder from reading this book

also want to say that if u have evidence of someone being a bigot and you actively choose to keep it private that makes you a bigot by association!!! ppl have a right to feel uncomfortable with u being besties with people who actively make discriminatory statements about them!!! if u have privilege and u can use it to better a situation do it!!! cut people off that are racist and homophobic even if they’re you
Jessalyn King
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen, fiction, humour
I loved them all! They’re all delightful characters! Sam was adorable and brave and his mum was also adorable; Lainey was fierce and angry and also willing to admit she could have done harm unintentionally; and Shadow was smart and grown up and wise. A great cast of characters to tell a complicated story. I look for to her next book.
Louisa
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fun book that sometimes made my blood rage, with all the negative comments her brother was spewing! Really great read about fame and all that goes along with it!
Kiki Z
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
Good concept, bad execution.

Let's get my pet peeve out of the way: I hate when authors write multiple points of view in first person. In this case, it feels even more egregious since at least one point of view (ShadowWillow) didn't add anything to the story in my opinion. I'm not convinced Sam's did either, but at least I liked him. I didn't understand ShadowWillow at all; her point of view often irritated me.

On to more major issues: The summary is misleading, or maybe I misunderstood it. I thou
Elizabeth
Jul 17, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one, ever
Recommended to Elizabeth by: amazon
God, this was awful. I mean, throw-it-across-the-room-when-you're-done-to-keep-from-lighting-it-on-actual-fire awful.

It's written in a simplistic way, first of all. We're talking middle grade simple, not just simple prose. But within a few pages, the main character (we'll get to her in a second here, ugh) is talking about sex stuff that's definitely not for your average 9-11 year old. It's too simplistic to hold up to the subject matter.

Then there's the characters. I barely know where to start w
Edith
Dec 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Finally, a book about the things I'm passionate about! There were so many things I could relate to as a female streamer. The disappointment that can arise from meeting your idols. The injustices and frustrations women go through in a male-dominated field. The relentless bullying that Youtubers and Twitch streamers have to put up with. It's nice to see these issues brought to light.
I loved the story and I loved being able to relate to the characters. Somehow, I felt like I was Lainey, ShadowWillo
Enne
2 stars
TW: fatmisia, transphobic joke, misogynistic comments
Rep: character w/ skin-picking disorder

The Writing
I really enjoyed Anna Priemaza's writing in her previous book, Kat and Meg Conquer the World, and I don't really have much else to say about it. I think her writing remained fairly consistent throughout this book, but I couldn't really tell the different characters apart. I didn't think there was anything about the writing that's worth pointing out, so we're going to move on now.

Jade Ellis
Oct 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
My notes for when I read this book are scarce, because I read it in a single bath, refilling the water twice, but they pretty much said this: LumberLegs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So yeah.

Look, I have an older brother. He also is a Twitch streamer. He also says things which I might deem inapporpriate. Don't get me wrong, he's not a total jerk like Cody, but I did definitely relate to the culture and the issues in this book.

I think the key to this book is the characters, so lets start with them
« previous 1 3 next »

• He Must Like You
  • The Starlight Claim
  • You Don't Have To Die In The End: A Novel
  • Break in Case of Emergency
  • Hunted by the Sky (The Wrath of Ambar, #1)
  • Charming as a Verb
  • Lucky Caller
  • The Beauty of the Moment
  • Yara's Spring
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Something Real (Something Real, #1)
  • Sisters of the Snake
  • Just My Luck
See top shelves…
Anna Priemaza is a contemporary young adult author and a practicing family and immigration lawyer in Edmonton, Alberta, where she lives with her husband. She can never quite remember how old she is, as she knits like an old lady, practices law like an adult, fangirls over YouTubers like a teen, and dreams like a child.

*Please note that this account does not accept friend requests to prevent confli

News & Interviews