Start by marking “The Oysterville Sewing Circle” as Want to Read:
The Oysterville Sewing Circle

The Oysterville Sewing Circle

The #1 New York Times bestselling author brings us her most ambitious and provocative work yet—a searing and timely novel that explores the most volatile issue of our time—domestic violence.

At the break of dawn, Caroline Shelby rolls into Oysterville, Washington, a tiny hamlet at the edge of the raging Pacific.

She’s come home.

Home to a place she thought she’d left forever
Published August 13th 2019 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about The Oysterville Sewing Circle, please sign up.
Jeri Munoz I did too and no book either, Goodreads asked me how I was enjoying the book and i let them know I never received it. Ive had a couple of follow ups…moreI did too and no book either, Goodreads asked me how I was enjoying the book and i let them know I never received it. Ive had a couple of follow ups from them but still no book. (less)

Katie B

This was my first Susan Wiggs novel and I liked this one enough to want to check out her other books. I appreciate her attempt at exploring some heavy subjects in this story however there were a few things in the book that I felt weren't developed to their potential. This has been a common thing with books I have read recently. Just because I know early on how it will probably end, I still need to feel like everything unfolds naturally rather than rushed or glossed over. Don't get me wr
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Caroline never thought she would be returning to her childhood home of Oysterville and definitely not with two children that weren't her own.

Caroline had wanted to leave as badly as any young person and head to New York City. Caroline did make it big in New York until a famous designer stole her clothing line.

Her loss and the death of her friend had Caroline returning with her friend's two children because Caroline had no idea how to take care of a child let alone two.

Caroline had a loving, supp
Kris - My Novelesque Life
RATING: 3.5 STARS

**Review to come**
Lori Tatar
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed The Oysterville Sewing Circle. Believe me when I say, it is not what it appears at first glance, and that is by design. It handles some pretty heavy topics, primarily domestic abuse, in a way that is easy to take in and not feel overwhelmed by the message. This is a story for women, about women and about love, and not just following our passions, but finding them as well. It illustrates how our lives are our own, even when they are not. This was a great read!
Sue
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have read most of Susan Wiggs' books and her new book is definitely my favorite. It's got everything you need for a great novel - well written characters, a fantastic plot and a beautiful setting. There's some romance, lots of family love along with learning to overcome defeat. It's also about domestic violence that occurs in every level of society and is often hidden from other people.

As Caroline returns to Oysterville after 10 years in New York City, she's a different person than the girl wh
Leslie
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: women-s-fiction
I got an Advance Reader Edition at ALA Midwinter and it was fun to meet the author there, too!

Caroline returns to her hometown of Oysterville, Washington because she has no other choice. While her design career in New York ended in disaster, the real tragedy was the death of her dear friend, Angelique, from an accidental drug overdose. Angelique worked as a model and named Caroline the legal guardian of her two children, Flip and Addie. Being a parent is often overwhelming for Caroline, but with
Kelli Estes
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: women-s-fiction
I just finished reading the galley of this beautiful story and I know other readers are going to love it as much as I do. It is the heartbreaking story of abuse and the powerful healing that can happen when women pull together.
Julie Barnard
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a great book - definitely worth reading. I will probably read more books by this author.
Blender
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a powerful story of how heartbreak can find healing.
Susan
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you, Goodreads for my Advance Readers Edition of The Oysterville Sewing Circle by Susan Wiggs. To be honest, after seeing the title, I was not sure this book would be something I would enjoy. If I had to change anything about the book, I think it would be the title.
However, if you are looking for a good summer read then this will be a good choice. I have not read very many books by Susan Wiggs, but I did enjoy reading this one. She attacks many difficult topics revolving around women such
Carol Ames
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was excellent. The characters were to real I want to go to Oysterville. It is so timely in its message but also a great romance. I loved every minute of it. It was not what I thought it would be but is so much more. I really loved it. I couldn’t put it down.
Lisa Cobb Sabatini
I won an Advance Reader's Edition of The Oysterville Sewing Circle by Susan Wiggs from Goodreads.

The Oysterville Sewing Circle by Susan Wiggs is a story about women facing their struggles, growing in strength, and making their own paths in life. This book reminds readers that there is betrayal and cruelty in the world, yet there is also friendship and love. The author taps on all of the reader's emotions as protagonist Caroline navigates through her experiences of love and loss, rollercoaster ci
Cate
When I started this book I did not know if I would like it or not, because it seemed slightly cheesy like a hallmark movie kind of story and that is really not my kind of thing but even though it did have those hokey kind of moments there was a deeper more important story dealing with domestic violence and women being harassed and taken advantage of by men, and how necessary it is for us women to not only stand up for themselves but to come together in friendship and support to be each others al ...more
Tracy Smith
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book by Susan Wiggs. I haven't read many by her, but will definitely looking for more. This story starts out in the big city of New York in the midst of high fashion, designers, and glamorous models. Tragedy then turns the tides, and our main character, Caroline Shelby returns to her hometown of Oysterville, Washington to learn how to become a mom, a woman's advocate, and a best friend and wife to her long time crush from years past. Come follow her journey of ups and downs ...more
Georgine
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
received an early copy from Goodreads.
This was an amazing book.
I enjoyed the interaction between the ladies as they became friends and associates, and what they ended up accomplishing between them.
I also enjoyed how Caroline became a real mother with the two kids she was guardian of, after their mother died.
I would recommend this book.
Carolyn Breckinridge
The Oysterville Sewing Circle is an interesting and sweet read, but a difficult novel to rate. There are numerous facets to this story, some executed quite well, others a little less. The plot line focusing on the main character's love for the fashion industry opens up a world of apparently realistic cut throat practices and abuses. The author has developed several strong, complex and likable main characters, and throughout the novel, she places a heavy emphasis on the importance of family and c ...more
Heidi
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: digital-arc-read
I hesitated to dive into this one, and yet I snatched up the opportunity to read it the moment I saw it. Susan Wiggs is an automatic buy author for me, and I was thrilled to get early access to a digital copy before the release date.

From the beginning it felt a little different from her other books, but I really enjoyed it. There are some hard subjects, hard feelings, and yet a wonderful portrayal of the feelings of family, friendships and love. When, I say hard subjects, in touch with the curr
Linda
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Caroline Shelby returns home, something she never expected, with two children, something else she never expected. After a scandal and a tragedy, Caroline returns home to rebuild her life and start over.
Life in New York has opened Caroline's eyes and now, she sees the secrets that are hiding, even in idyllic Oysterville. So, she decides to start a sewing circle, a place where women can support each other and share their strength. Touching and moving, I just couldn't put it down.
Kris Dickinson
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-s
I liked it. The ending seemed a little rushed but other than that, it was a good story line. The part about the dog even had me crying. Its the sign of a good author when they can evoke emotion like that. The 'Sewing Circle' parts could have been more but the author did well with what she did put.
Sascha
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought I knew what to expect when I began reading Susan Wiggs' The Oysterville Sewing Circle, but this novel far, far exceeded my expectations.

At the heart of this emotionally and thoughtfully compelling novel is Caroline Shelby, a creative spirit who discovered at thirteen that she loved to create, particularly to take a swath of material and design garments. Caroline was also the self-described black sheep of her family, the only one who didn't go into the family restaurant business, the on
Marji Morris
My favorite parts of this book were the sections dealing with Caroline's (and Will's) childhood. Somehow it rang truer than the present day sections, which seemed a little too predictable. I liked the book, despite the romance mood, because of the drama surrounding the death of Caroline's friend, the trauma of her children, and her ability to land on her feet after being sucker punched by her boss. I liked that the author allowed Caroline to save herself, with a little help from her friends.

Inte
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an advance e-ARC from Netgalley, and really enjoyed this! Such a sad premise (domestic violence and addiction), but the characters were relatable and situations realistic. Will definitely purchase for my library.
Michelle Fohlin
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, giveaways
Gretchen
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Caroline Shelby, the main protagonist, returns to her west coast home after being destroyed by the cut throat fashion industry. She reinvents herself and her brand with the aid of family, community, and women who victimized by domestic abuse. Good story despite the heavy topic.
I received the paperback copy through a goodreads giveaway.
Michele
May 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
The writing on this was pretty atrocious. The same general points were restated over and over and OVER again throughout and it got very tiring very quickly. Also the romance (what there was of it) was kind of sketch with him being married at the beginning to her supposed best friend. Basically, it was all over the place trying to provide conflict and then going on and on about the conflict, but it was mostly self-created conflict. I am not talking about the physical/mental abuse victims and surv ...more
MAB  LongBeach
Competently written with decent characterizations, but underwhelming.
Barb
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoy Ms. Wiggs writing. This book was a quick read. Not light, but it moved quickly. Satisfying ending. #metoo.
Ann
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book by Susan Wiggs. Not anything what I was expecting from the title. An emotional love story that focuses on abusive relations both physical and mental. Carolyn is returning to Oysterville, Washington after her best friend dies of a drug overdose and leaves her guardian of her two young children, Flick and Addie. Carolyn left her small hometown to pursue a career as a fashion designer in New York City. When her boss stole her designs she returns home to raise the children. Fir ...more
Janilyn Kocher
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A moving read about a woman who kept fighting, even after being knocked down. Caroline has a career in the NYC fashion industry, when in one fell swoop her designs are stolen and she's left with two children to support. She moves back to the Pacific Northwest so her family can help. She starts fresh in her career and also a former love interest. It's a great story about perseverance and what a person can do if one sets her mind to it. I love the cover. Thanks to Edelweiss for the advance read.
Nancy
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an advance reader copy from a GoodReads giveaway. I have read several books by Susan Wiggs. The Oysterville Sewing Circle is different from the rest. Very good as expected, but different. The topic is a difficult and relevant one...domestic abuse. I do wish more time could have been spent with the Circle. This story had a lot packed in it .... family, love, different forms of abuse, and hopes ....it kept me interested from start to finish!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Topic sounds like the old song The Gambler 1 4 Mar 24, 2019 02:34PM
Susan Wiggs's life is all about family, friends...and fiction. She lives at the water's edge on an island in Puget Sound, and she commutes to her writers' group in a 17-foot motorboat. She serves as author liaison for Field's End, a literary community on Bainbridge Island, Washington, bringing inspiration and instruction from the world's top authors to her seaside community. (See www.fieldsend.org ...more
“The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea. —Isak Dinesen” 0 likes
“Appreciate the journey, and recognize your strength. —See the Triumph” 0 likes