Start by marking “Defy Me (Shatter Me, #5)” as Want to Read:
Defy Me (Shatter Me, #5)

Defy Me

(Shatter Me #5)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  12,789 ratings  ·  2,405 reviews
The gripping fifth installment in the New York Times, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly bestselling Shatter Me series. Will Juliette’s broken heart make her vulnerable to the strengthening darkness within her?

Juliette’s short tenure as the supreme commander of North America has been an utter disaster. When the children of the other world leaders show up on her d
Published April 2nd 2019 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Defy Me, please sign up.
Desirae I like them both. (IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK, STOP READING THIS ANSWER!) At first I hated the name Ella because the people calling her that were…moreI like them both. (IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK, STOP READING THIS ANSWER!) At first I hated the name Ella because the people calling her that were torturers and some of the most horrible people ever. But at the end when she said she didn't like Juliette because that was the name Anderson gave her, I felt so strongly for her. So, like Kenji it's really hard for me to see her as Ella, but Ella is a beautiful name and has so much more power to it in my opinion.(less)

·  12,789 ratings  ·  2,405 reviews

Whitney Atkinson
Nick
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
scorching hot tea was served
we have decided to stan forever
Sabrina
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’M DEAD.

This was SO MUCH BETTER THAN I WAS EXPECTING IT AND I WAS EXPECTING TO BE FANTASTIC THIS WAS EVERYTHING.

This just made it to the third best book in the series for me
(Ignite me, Unravel me and Defy me).
Warnette is life. Although the ship name is not the best. And the only reasons I’m still reading this series is because of Warnette and Kenji. That’s it.

I have one word to describe this book:
EVERYTHING.

And now I have to wait 1 year for the next and final book of th
Candace Robinson
After the last book I was so scared to read this one, seriously! Juliette and Warner had gone through such a mess in the first three books, and then the last book was like, nooooooooooo! And then this, tear my freaking heart apart with the back flash scenes, already. I was balling like a baby!

I loved Juliette in this, loved Warner in this, really loved Kenji in this! Those are my three little children! Nazeera was awesome too, and her character ARC really opened up and shined here! <
Hillary
Jan 24, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopia

Me: don’t disappoint me like Restore Me did
Defy Me: okay
Defy Me: *throws plot, characters, world building, everything into fire*
DefyTraitor Me: you told me not to disappoint you, so I made you angry
Me:

Buckle up because this is a long one. It only took me four hours to write *hysterical laugh*

And here ends my love story with the Shatter Me series. This is seriously the end, because FOR SURE I’m not picking up the last book in this ridiculous “continuati/>And/>Traitor
jessica
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it
well, im starting to think that series has been two books too long...

yet again, heres another filler book. i would say only about 50 pages of this are actually vital to the plot progression and story. the other 300 feels like mafi writing fanfiction of her own books. she is really milking this story and dragging it out as long as she can, i guess.

the only reason i didnt hate this is because i still really enjoy the characters. i know im the only person on this planet who
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
UPDATE:
We have a cover! I'm not really happy with it though. I know that probably makes me a bean counter, but I'm used to amazing covers from the other four books so this is kind of a disappointment. It looks almost exactly like the "Restore Me" cover and I just would have wished for another amazing colourful and epic book cover. =) Can't blame me for being such a huge fan, right? ;-P

P.S: I don't hate the cover! All the "Shatter Me" covers are beautiful in their own way. =)

_
☆High Lady of The Night Court☆
This trilogy was created to show us the future of the characters after the initial trilogy. Defy Me accomplishes this while simultaneous revealing the vast history behind this world that we didn’t know existed. A past that even the characters did not know of up until the events of this book
When this past slowly unfurls its wings we also come to realise that Juliette and Warner’s past is a lot more tragic than that of Romeo and Juliet.

We see the world through Kenji, Warner, and
Hamad
Mar 02, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, 2019-reads
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

“It’s not insane to imagine that sometimes even horrible people are searching for a way out of their own darkness.”

🌟 Adele once said: “This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten”.
I think she was talking about Defy Me, I think this book brought the end of this series. I also had to count to ten so I don’t throw my iPad after finishing the book.
This is an angry review and your boy is about to serve som
Angelica
First of all, what was the point of this book?

Really though. What was the purpose? Did we really need a whole 352-page novel for what happened here? I don't think we did. The entire first 25% of the novel could have been removed and it would not have impacted the story in any way.

This is a series that should have remained a trilogy.

I have so many questions about the world building and about the characters and about the fact that all these things and people are coming completely out of/>This
Mary S. R.
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who want the series to get a little darker and its world and plot more rational
Recommended to Mary by: the need for answers!
4.5 STARS! this book defied the ‘senselessness trope’ of all the series!

Today is not forever. Happiness does not happen . Happiness must be uncovered, separated from the skin of pain. It must be claimed. Kept close.
Protected.

Ladies and gentlemen, girls and boys—and transgenders of course—REJOICE! The impossible has happened, and I, Mary the Merry, hereby announce that I am writing my first five-star review of a Shatter Me book! *gasps* Is that even possible?

No, it's not; there was even a prophecy for it, written by none other than the all-knowing George Rseries!
I’m a mess.

This was one of my most anticipated books of the year and it kinda let me down.

I love the characters so much and they have been with me all these years but Defy Me was just a very long novella. There wasn’t a consistent plot at all just exposition after exposition and character development.

Now, I adore character driven books but this one was a filler. It would’ve been better if Tahereh just called this book a novella, but I guess the release of Sh
Warda
Apr 17, 2018 marked it as lost-interest  ·  review of another edition
I never thought I would actually be anticipating these books and now look at me? Craaaaving for more Juliette/Warner action (BECAUSE REVELATIONS!) and some of good ol' Kenji bae! 😍
Jackie
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buy-asap, series-tbr
*takes deep breath* ... AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

——

I GOT WHAT I WANTED BITCH. THIS TITLE IS SO POWERFUL. DEFY ME. MISS JULIETTE FERRARS IS GONNA SNAP IN THIS BOOK AND I'M SO READY. LET'S GO LESBIANS!

May 7th 2018
I NEED A RELEASE DATE AND TITLE STAT
Alexander Hamilton
Man idk anymore.

When I first heard there would be three more books added to this series, I had just finished Ignite Me and i was stoked let me tell youuu

Now, I realize these three books may have been a huuugeee mistake, bc this used to be my favorite series of all time, and now I'm starting to really dislike these characters which is really sad tbh

all the 'plot twists' seem so cheap and forced and none of the characters are even remotely similar to what they w
sofia ☾
defy me was better than i was expecting, but still not as good as i wanted it to be. the fifth instalment in the shatter me series starts right after where restore me ended and the first thing i noticed? how small this book is. having considered the previous book in the series to be completely pointless, the size of this one made me wonder if these two couldn’t have just been one longer book. needless to say, i was right.

tahereh mafi is one incredible author. from her works, the only compl
Brittany
3 Stars!!

So....where do I begin? I liked it for sure... but pretty sure this is the Shatter Me series from another dimension cuz.... WOW.

Yeah so everyone is just so watered down now. Warner is like a totally different person. Not to mention Juliet...

Whoops... I mean Ella?!?!?

Honestly I feel like what happened in this book p
Wynne Katherine
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf

Review :

description

Honestly, I think all my opinions on this book could be summed with that one gif above.

But do you get what it means?

Same.

I think it's time to call it quits with this series. I wasn't pleased with Restore Me as it didn't really offer anything plot wise, but fuck, you give me Daddy Warner, I'll give you my soul (and my money)

Apr 01, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
lol
Stacey
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
happy birthday, warner. sorry your party is so GREAT
ambsreads
well that was disappointing
Tara ☽
4 Stars

Hello, my name is Tara, and I'm starting a support group for Shatter Me stans.

Honestly, after the mess that was Restore Me, it's probably an understatement to say I was nervous for this book. I was terrified that the story and characters that are so beloved to me would be damaged beyond repair, until they were so unrecognisable from what I used to hold so dear that my memory of this series would be forever tainted.

Now that I've read it, I'm going on the record to say I should have/>Hello,
Sam
Jun 05, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019, 2019
Lowering my rating from 2.5 to 1.5. I’ve been thinking, and I'm just mad at this point because Tahereh Mafi took everything that was canon from the original trilogy and just tore it apart. And I spent money on this thing so there’s that too.

Review:

Welcome to 2019, the year where almost all of my most anticipated releases have let me down in some way, some more than others!

I am just so disappointed. I was expecting so much more from this. The title, the cover,
P
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Everything in this book moves too fast, but still all the characters made me fall in love with them again, even Adam. As I always said, I loved how Mafi managed to write her books. Her words. Her idea. I must thank you for giving me Warner and Juliette and the world of Shatter Me.

Full Review to Come
Nouha A.
Apr 03, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Tahereh darling, you should have stopped at Ignite me.

:') 💔
Hulya Kara Yuksel
I FLOVED it! :)

(view spoiler) ...more
Jessi ♡
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
might have just beat ignite me as my fave
Beth
2.5 Stars!

I know I'm in the minority here, but honestly I really didn't see the point of this book. I'm not going to lie, when I saw Kenji had a POV I was so excited to see what was to come, but I can't even begin to explain.

Spoilers ahead please be aware, I just have too many questions!

There just seemed to be so many "twists and turns" but with this I was just bored by it. Too many tropes that didn't need to be included and not only that, but so much of it was unexplained it kind of left me frustra/>Spoilers
Abbie (boneseasonofglass)
What a wild ride

I honestly love this series
alana ♡
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
"Today is not forever. Happiness does not happen. Happiness must be uncovered, separated from the skin of pain. It must be claimed."

Believe me, no one is more disappointed than me about this rating, even if I am a few months late on picking this up. But this....just felt so off compared to the first four books. I should have known what was coming though, when things went downhill with Kenji's novella. If I'm being honest this also felt more like reading fan-fiction rather than reading the next book in
Addicted to YA: Defy Me 6 54 Aug 21, 2019 05:36PM
Addicted to YA: Discussion Leader Sign Up: Defy Me 5 41 Jul 25, 2019 06:52AM
Aaron Warner 4 66 May 25, 2019 11:51PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Defy Me (Shatter Me #5) by Tahereh Mafi--> Starting April 11 2019 12 61 May 05, 2019 11:44AM
Shatter Me Addicts: Defy Me Cover Release! 1 12 Jan 26, 2019 02:42AM

• Defy the Fates (Constellation, #3)
  • The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)
  • Rebel (Legend, #4)
  • Shatter City (Impostors, #2)
  • Vow of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #2)
  • Untitled (Nikolai Duology, #2)
  • Bid My Soul Farewell (Give the Dark My Love, #2)
  • Untitled (The Witchlands, #5)
  • The King (A Wicked Trilogy #3.6)
  • Supernova (Renegades, #3)
  • The Nemesis (Diabolic, #3)
  • The Half King (Untitled, #1)
  • Igniting Darkness (Courting Darkness Duology, #2)
  • DEV1AT3 (Lifelike, #2)
  • Untitled (Crescent City, #2)
  • Untitled (Dreamer #3)
  • Untitled Standalone
  • Immunity (Contagion, #2)
Tahereh Mafi is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Shatter Me series. She was born in a small city somewhere in Connecticut and currently resides in Santa Monica, California with her husband, fellow author Ransom Riggs. She can usually be found over-caffeinated and stuck in a book. Shatter Me is her first series, with television rights optioned by ABC Signature Studios; Furthermore, her first middle grade ...more

Shatter Me (6 books)
  • Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)
  • Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)
  • Ignite Me (Shatter Me, #3)
  • Restore Me (Shatter Me, #4)
  • Imagine Me (Shatter Me, #6)
“It's not insane to imagine that sometimes even horrible people are searching for a way out of their own darkness.” 42 likes
“Happiness does not happen. Happiness must be uncovered, separated from the skin of pain. It must be claimed. Kept close. Protected.” 33 likes