Start by marking “The Hunting Party” as Want to Read:

The Hunting Party

For fans of Ruth Ware and Tana French, a shivery, atmospheric, page-turning novel of psychological suspense in the tradition of Agatha Christie, in which a group of old college friends are snowed in at a hunting lodge . . . and murder and mayhem ensue.

All of them are friends. One of them is a killer.

During the languid days of the Christmas break, a group of thirtysomething
Expected publication: February 12th 2019 by William Morrow

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Feb 12, 2019
    Enter for a chance to win one of 100 advance copies of THE HUNTING PARTY by Lucy Foley!

Everyone's invited...everyone's a suspect...

For fans of Ruth Wa

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 4421 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Nov 15 - Dec 15, 2018

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Hunting Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hunting Party

Paromjit
    This is a hugely enjoyable modern version of a classic golden age crime novel, a psychological thriller with the Christie like tropes of a country house, only here we have a remote and desolate exclusive hunting lodge situated next to a loch in the bleak and forbidding wintry landscapes of the Scottish Highlands. There is a group of thirty something longstanding close friends from Oxford University, who for the last decade have always gathered together over the New Year period. It begins with Ne ...more
    Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
    A New Year's Reunion In The Remote Scottish Wilderness . . .

•The beautiful one
    •The golden couple
    •The volatile one
    •The new parents
    •The quiet one
    •The city boy
    •The outsider

One of these friends is a murderer. And one won't make it out alive.

JOIN THE PARTY NOW.

(That was on the back of the ARC and it sums it up nicely) *I won this in a Goodreads Giveaway.

These people are supposed to be friends but I think they all lost that along the way. I didn't like a particular person in the group, although
    Liz Barnsley
    Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    loved this.
    Properly atmospheric, the chilly, claustrophobic yet open setting cleverly sets the scene for a wonderfully old school murder mystery, with a stellar cast of characters for the reader to get their teeth into and either love or loathe.
    Descriptively this is beautifully written the aforementioned setting coming to vivid and gorgeous life, enter into this wild landscape a group of friends whose history and random hidden jealousies rise to the surface, ultimately leading to murder…
    Definite
    Nadia
    Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Thirteen people, 1 dead body

3.5 stars for the thriller debut The Hunting Party by Lucy Foley.

A group of friends who met at Oxford a decade ago decides to celebrate NYE in a remote location in the Scottish Highlands. Due to the heavy snow they find themselves cut off from civilisation. We quickly learn that the friendship bond between some of them is not as strong as it seemed and actually there is a degree of animosity and resentment among them as old wounds and grudges from their past resurface
    Roman Clodia
    Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Like a modern take on an Agatha Christie plot: a party in a remote location cut off by snow, a group of friends with hidden tensions and stresses, sinister co-guests and troubled staff... all ending in murder. With red herrings galore and a cast of unlikable characters, this is all about the twists and revelations. Compulsively entertaining: 4 deliciously trashy stars!

Thanks to the publisher for an ARC via NetGalley.
    C.L. Taylor
    I absolutely flew through this, finishing it within three days (which, given I have a terrible concentration span, is increasingly rare). A group of university friends, and various interlopers, decide to spend New Years Eve in an isolated lodge in the Scottish Highlands and one of them ends up dead. The Hunting Party is a first rate murder mystery with a cast of well crafted characters, secret upon secret and a healthy dose of deceit. You won't look at your old friends in the same way when you r ...more
    Anni
    Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    ‘that’s the thing about old friends, isn’t it? Sometimes they don’t even realise that they no longer have anything in common. That maybe they don’t even like each other any more’.

This murder mystery has many of the usual hallmarks of the Golden Age of crime novels: a country estate retreat in an isolated location and a gathering of old friends trapped by circumstances (snow in this case), each with guilty secrets to hide, whilst knowing the killer is among them.
    However, by a nifty variation of
    Susan
    Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This novel has much of an old-fashioned, country house, mystery, about it, but brought deliciously up to date. For country house, read a remote, Scottish Lodge, surrounded by luxury cabins. For the members of a house party, read a group of rich, successful friends, and their partners, who meet up every New Year and get together to relive their years at Oxford. In the best tradition, the group get snowed in and to add to the unease, there is a murderer, The Highland Ripper, whose violent crimes a ...more
    Julie Parks
    Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: thriller
    What an amazing book! And new author to follow.

All that eeriness and build up. Especially as various characters supposedly spot something somewhere...or was it really there, or only in their imagination. It couldn't really, could it?

And then that looming snowstorm, that we know it's coming as the story is told in time lapse. Soon the body will be snowed in, and nobody gets in or out (not even the police), and you're forced sitting there in the same Lodge with the possible killer!

Lucy Foley is do
    Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
    This book is about a group of friends that went to Oxford together. They all get together every New Year's Eve to hang out and reminisce about old times. This year they meet up at a Scottish hunting lodge but their vacation getaway goes awry when all their old wounds and new ones finally start to surface...

Everyone in this group was suppose to be a grown adult but they all acted like they were still in high school. I literally felt like I was 15 again. It was just too much drama for me and not e
    Becca
    Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    A group of Oxford alumni and their respective partners have kept in touch for years post-graduation, and decide to go on an extravagant New Year trip to a far flung area of Scotland. Settling in a lodge and it’s surrounding cabins for a couple of nights. A lot of alcohol, some drugs and a bit of deer hunting and their idyllic lives, and friendships begin to unravel in their webs of deceit. Who dies, and more importantly, who did it?

I throughly enjoyed this book. It’s been a while since I felt th
    Aoife
    Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: adult, thriller, kindle

I received a free digital copy of this book from the publishers/author via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

When a group of old Oxford friends get together for their yearly new Year’s Eve bash, one person ends up dead. Rewind two days, and it’s clear there’s a lot of cracks in the group and people don’t like each other as much as they pretend. But who is the killer, and who is the victim?

The Hunting Party was a great debut thriller, and it honestly made me excited for other bo
    Allyn Nichols
    Dull.... The characters are so much alike each other you're hard pushed to tell them apart ( even though each chapter is named after one of them). One of the most beautiful places on the planet described in such a way that strips it all down to almost nothing but grim, cold and eyeball deep in snow. The prose are almost headache inducing, rushing by at a thousand miles an hour and much of it to no consequence at all. Maybe it's just not my cup of tea however I've read plenty of books in a simila ...more
    Susan Hampson
    Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley
    Some things are done because they have always been done and well the yearly get together of Oxford University besties was one of those things. Some of the group had been accepted at Oxford on the ‘it is who you know rather than what you know’, sort of right of passage, while the others were a quite gifted bunch. The group had hired cabins at an exclusive Lodge in Scottish Highlands, as a Hunting Party for New Year celebrations, with the understanding that they would be the only ones there, along ...more
    Andrea
    Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: owned-books
    How lovely to read a story with such a host of unlikeable characters for a change. A page turner of a book. The suspense builts nicely until we find out the identity of the body and try to guess what happened as the story slowly unveils the truth.
    Joanne Robertson
    This book!!! As soon as I finished it I messaged a friend to say “You have GOT to order this book NOW!” Isn’t it wonderful when you read a book and know exactly who to recommend it to! If you love character driven, Agatha Christie-esque mysteries set in atmospheric, eerie locations then The Hunting Party is going to knock your socks off. It reminded me in a way of Ruth Wares debut “In A Dark Dark Wood” but with champagne and drugs! You really must put aside a few hours to read this book because ...more
    Ashleigh
    Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    The Hunting Party follows a group of adults who were the best of friends at University, but aren't so close in their 30s. One of them organises a New Year's Eve trip to a remote set of cabins in the Highlands of Scotland, and when heavy snow cuts them off from the rest of the world, tensions run high, and eventually a body is found by the two groundskeepers. But whose body is it? Was it an accident, or was it murder?

I feel like there's a lot of books right now which are focusing on a group of
    Tara Lewis
    Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC of this title. I lost my weekend to it, and have no regrets!

This book fits my current obsession: a group of people (they were good friends but BOY are they about to find out how well they really know each other now!), snowed in in an isolated place, and a murder happens. Think Cluedo in remote Scotland with a horrid group of posh Oxford grads. There's cattiness and sex and murder and haunting pasts. It's proper can't-put-it-down-because-these-
    Heidi
    Marketed as a psychological suspense novel in the tradition of Agatha Christie and Ruth Ware (two of my favourite writers), the Hunting Party was one of those books that virtually called out to me: “Read me! Read me!” I love nothing better than an atmospheric setting, so the remote landscape of the Scottish Highlands seemed just perfect for a great read to snuggle under the covers with.

The premise is indeed very Agatha-Christie-ish: seven thirty-something friends who have kept in touch since un
    Karen Mace
    Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Trust nobody!! Not even those you consider friends! That's what I got from reading this enjoyable and creepy thriller that keeps you guessing right to the end!

A group of friends hire a Scottish Lodge for a New Year break/party and before they even get there, old tensions between some of them begin to rumble and you're left wondering why some of them are even still friends! They had all changed so much since their University days, and even back then it seems that their friendships often didn't ru
    Luke.At.What.Im.Reading
    This one is a hard one to review!
    I enjoyed the story as a whole but the characters urghhh I didn't even like one!
    3 stars from me..

Thank you netgalley for providing me with advanced reading copy

Kath Middleton
    Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    A group of friends who met and university – and partners – have a tradition of taking a holiday together. Emma, reasonably new to the group, has organised a stay in an out-of-the-way hunting lodge in the Scottish highlands. We learn early on that a body is found but we don’t know who, until much later. Or who was the killer. The book isn’t for people who want fast action. It concentrates on the backgrounds of the people, their present and previous interactions and the backstories of the three pe ...more
    Vikki Patis
    Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    The Hunting Party is an absolutely thrilling novel, set in the wild Scottish Highlands. A group of friends are staying at the Lodge for New Year's Eve, their annual group celebration. But beneath the drinking and laughter and reminiscing, a darkness is spreading. One of them ends up dead, and while the heavy snow is blocking anyone from entering, it is also stopping anyone from leaving, including the killer.

I absolutely loved this book. Creating a host of characters so in-depth and enticing is a
    Keith Chawgo
    The Hunting Party is an odd little tale that uses quite a few story devices to drive the plot forward. We have three to four first person perspectives, a third person perspective and a time line that jumps forward and back. We also have plenty of twists and turns and red herrings along the way to keep the reader on their toes.

Although it feels like the author threw a lot of different styles into the novel, this doesn’t always work and at times it feels a bit too much and not as clever as when yo
    Wendy
    Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    What’s as slippery as ice yet twice as treacherous?

Yes, you guessed it: The Hunting Party , a mixed group of thirty-somethings on a New Year’s Eve excursion to a Highland hunting lodge become marooned by the bleak, hostile conditions, which includes their memories, consciences and the evident pecking order that remains from their university days.

During the short and punchy timeline events take a sinister spin and a handful of their party take turns to share their intimate thoughts, as if I we
    Lynne
    Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Nine friends, who met at Oxford University, reunite at a remote lodge in the Scottish Highlands to see in the New Year. They plan to spend four days partying and reminiscing. As the weather worsens, a heavy snowfall leaves them cut off from the outside world. They quickly learn the bond between them is far more fragile than any of them imagined. As tensions mount, old jealousies and long-hidden secrets begin to surface. Before the end of the holiday, one of them will be dead.

This is a highly enj
    ♥ Kayleigh Kehoe ⚜ (Awkword Reviews)✍
    This is basically about a group of fictional friends who have no redeemable qualities and are unbearably nasty to each other on "holiday" in a lodge that is cut off from the rest of civilisation for a few days after it snows heavily. During this inaccessible time, one of the group gets murdered, and everyone is a suspect.

And I wish that all of them was killed and the murderer lived happily ever after. That's how despicable they were.

Regardless of the high stakes, I found the prose very flat an
    Allyson Abbott
    Thank you to NetGalley for allowing me to read and review this book, The Hunting Party by Lucy Foley.

As I presume this was an ARC and not the final copy I have not deducted stars for the poor formatting issues. It did cause a few problems, but the story was enjoyable so I tried to ignore it and I got to the end rather quickly.
    The story is about a well educated group of friends who all meet up every New Years Eve. it has become an annual 'must do', even though there are obvious cracks in some of
    Breakaway Reviewers
    A thriller set in a remote Scottish hunting lodge.

Nine friends from University meet to spend the New Year together. It starts as a happy occasion but quickly old emotions and rivalries emerge, and the reunion starts to fall apart.

Then a body is found.

Emma, who has organised the holiday and chosen the venue, is something of an outsider, having only married into the group two years previously. The other eight were all at Oxford ten years before, and in this tight-knit set of friends, there are f
    Mike Sumner
    Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    My thanks to HarperCollins UK and NetGalley for my ARC of The Hunting Party, my first read by Lucy Foley, which put me so much in mind of Ruth Ware's In A Dark, Dark Wood. An isolated location in the Scottish Highlands; a New Year celebration; nine friends reunited as they do most years. All of them together for the first time in ages. Emma and Mark, Miranda and Julien, Nick and Bo, Samira and Giles, their six-month old baby Priya - and Katie. Four days in a winter wilderness - Loch Corrin - ver ...more
    I live in London, but love traveling - both in real life and on the page (hence the appearance of some far flung locations in my writing).

My latest novel is The Invitation - set in the film world of the 1950s, along the Italian Riviera.

My debut novel, The Book of Lost & Found, published in early 2015.

You can find my Facebook page here:

and follow me on