Start by marking “Shatterproof” as Want to Read:
Shatterproof

Shatterproof

(Dissonant #1)

Back and better than ever, from bestselling queer romance author Cole McCade writing as Xen: the new 2018 edition of SHATTERPROOF, with 30% more content, new scenes, new fae mythos, vampires, and more.

There are worse ways to die than by falling in love.

Grey Jean-Marcelin has given up on life. Not even his fame as renowned artist "The Grey" can ease the mental health is
Published June 8th 2018 by Independently published (first published September 5th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Shatterproof, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shatterproof

Start your review of Shatterproof
Nicola
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shatterproof is hands down one of the best books I've read this year and one of the best M/M I've ever read; open the stunning cover and you discover an unforgettable, evocative and intimate story centralising around two men who will steal your heart for so many reasons.

description

I was gripped from start to finish. Amongst the harsher realities of this story, because it holds some angst, is a emotional, tender story featuring two men from very different worlds, tormented by their lives but who find love
True Loveislovereview
5+++ Impossible to review and do right to this story. I will babble in my own way as usual when I don’t have a clue how to express myself... I’m not an author who has all the words... I’m just...me...

I prefer reads when there are triggers and warnings before the start. I just want to reach my limits and go beyond them.. I want to feel, fly and dive.. apologize on forehand for using others.

Grey Jean-Marcelin vs Saint aka Xav Cascia

The first time we meet Grey is in an ambulance with an EMT besides
~Volha~
I don't normally like romance books five shades darker but this author is making a believer out of me. This book is so deep, so full of raw emotions and thoughts that sometimes are better left unsaid. But it is all brought out to light here unapologetically and it draws you in.

This is a story of two men: one who is afraid of life and the other who is afraid of death and how their roads cross. One who is unseen and the other who sees it all. They are so different and have nothing in common but w
True Loveislovereview

Grey Jean-Marcelin vs Saint aka Xav Cascia

The first time we meet Grey is in an ambulance with an EMT besides
Mimi
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 amazing stars

It has been a very long time since I read a book like this. And it is the first time I've read this author. First and foremost I would like to say ***THIS BOOK HAS TRIGGERS*** so proceed with caution.

First off I love his writing style. The words and the phrases he uses to convey his message are eloquent and heavily expressive. I am so glad that I was able to read the remastered edition. Can not wait for Dissonant Countdown 2.
Adrian Fridge
2.5 Stars

I wish I liked this more, but there were several things stopping me from enjoying this, none of which were the subject of depression.

1) This is written very poetically, almost literary in its meditative melancholy. I'm not against poetic or literary, but it made it hard for me to submerse myself in the character's heads.

2) The lack of differentiation between Saint's and Grey's mental states made it difficult for me to keep track of whose head I was in. They sound alike, both depressed i
Lisazj1
I don't know why I'm surprised but I am, completely. I was not expecting this story, not at all. CMcC's characters never fail to destroy me, in the best of ways. To be honest I am knocked out.

And the story was just amazing. The very first bit was hard, because it is very dark. Do pay attention to the trigger warnings. But as it played out, I was stunned with how much I felt for them, for their situation. A very unique take on the different aspects of the plot, all which I have read before but ne
Claudie ☾
This had all the markings of an excellent book. I loved the first couple of chapters; the story was very unconventional and had just the right amount of angst, the writing style was really good… But sadly, that's it. Not much else can be said about it.

Character development was almost non-existent. Well, okay, one can argue that Saint’s character did develop somewhat, but on the other hand, so many questions about his ‘kind’ were left unanswered. That really bothered me, because the author kept h
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★

✿ ✿ ✿ ARC Giveaway! ✿ ✿ ✿
Part of the Shh… Summer Buzz Book Event 2016!
❀ Shh… Summer Buzz Book ARC Giveaway: https://goo.gl/uqgC3u
Win ARCs for all the Buzz Books featured!
❀ Shh… Summer Buzz Books: https://goo.gl/4p43qo
Jun-Sep book, release & ARC info!!
❀ Shh… Summer Buzz Book Calendar: https://goo.gl/78NlrK
All Buzz Books organized by week of release!
❀ Join Shh…: http://goo.gl/OmQUZv
Join for direct links to work. GR redirects all non-members to group home.
❀ RSVP: https://goo.gl/bvZGC3
❀ Author sign-
Rafa Brewster
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

Reviewed for Just Love: Romance blog.
I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

To be honest, I wasn’t sure what to expect from Xen Sanders, author. I’d read his previous works under the penname Cole McCade to mixed results (loved Second Chance at Paris, ambivalent on The Lost). And in the spirit of full disclosure, I’m on familiar terms with the author on social media. So yeah, enter Xen Sanders, a nom de plume created for his paranormal/SFF works, and I was
Ije the Devourer of Books
3.5 Stars

A beautifully creative story with a dark feel which embraces a kind of fearlessness and hope.

Overall I did enjoy this because it is refreshingly different. The author has weaved together mysticism, darkness, desire and love into a very engaging tapestry. At the same time the author explores suicide and mental health conditions, both incredibly challenging, but this is explored in the story not in a head on obvious way, but by being present in the story and by taking us along on a journ
M
Edit 2020: I love this book, I love the remastered edition with the incredible cover and you can find me gushing in detail in my new podcast episode.

-----------

I read this book at least three times. And I keep going back again and again.

It's one of my all-time favorites, and one of my all-time favorite comfort reads. Strange maybe, considering how *intense* it is. But Xen Sanders' prose honestly just... wraps itself around me like a blanket.

Grey's fear
Tia
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Wow, this book is much more than your typical MM romance novel. It’s a soul-deep, gut-wrenching, almost spiritual literary work of art - and a hard book to review.

There is a mysterious, magical fantasy element in that one of the MCs, Saint, is a fae who’s like a fallen angel, banished from the fae realm to live a lonely eternity among mortals as punishment for once loving a human eons ago. The hitch is that in order to hold on to his immortality, every few decades Saint must garner the
Ellie
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!
This was incredible, so different, unlike anything I have read before! My two-word description would be Hauntingly beautiful! <3
It's dark and scary and please take seriously the author's trigger warnings (depression, suicide, death) and if you choose to read it, be ready for some stunningly beautiful prose about the darkest and scariest depths of the human soul. What a journey!

Full review posted also on Ellie Reads Fiction

This story is unlike anything I've read before, contemporary romance w
Kristen Burns
4 Stars

Full Review:
*I received a free ecopy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

This was a very character-focused book, all about Grey and Saint and their inner struggles and relationship with each other. It was slow-paced, but that's not a complaint at all because it never dragged, and the pace worked well with the character-focused aspect and feel of the book.

I also liked that this book included the topic of mental health and seemed to handle it well. Grey was struggli
Rosemary
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I don't read all that many paranormal m/m books, even though I'm a huge paranormal fan. This one immediately caught my eye. Shatterproof was a unique read for me because it not only had strong paranormal elements, but it dealt with suicide/mental illness. I don't recall ever coming across a book before that deals with both of those. This was a deeply moving character driven love story that enjoyed tremendously.

Grey is an extremely gifted artist who deals with sever depression and suicidal thoug
M'rella
This book didn't work for me.

While I was attracted by the blurb (I've never read a book about Haitian life, culture and people), I found the subject of the book to be pretty heavy and dark, on top of that I kept getting distracted by characters' endless musings. Maybe I was in the wrong state of mind for this book when I started it, who knows. My head was still full of Splinterpoint's campish silliness.

...And so, even tho I am giving Shatterproof 2 stars, I truly hope the book works for others
Dimitri
Jun 05, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
As a first generation Haitian American who grew up in Haiti I will DEFINITELY read this, and am very curious since Haiti is all but ignored outside of when people think of negative things. I really hope Haiti is portrayed in a deep complex and positive light because I am so fucking tired of seeing my country portrayed as just a land of suffering and not immeasurable beauty and rich history. Fingers crossed 🤞🏾
Santy
Loved it! Full review to come!!
R M
Jan 22, 2017 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, sff
Beautifully written and always on the verge of heartbreak, this novel keeps you mired in a delicate and lyrical suspense.

Highly recommended.
Pippa DaCosta
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m going to need some time to process this gorgeous book.

RTC
Karen
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Edited for a 2018 re-read.

When I read a Xen/Cole book I do actually feel that my brain grows exponentially. He fills me with new words, new facts, new emotions that I never experienced before and he leaves me author words at the end that make me sigh/cry/love Cole just a little bit more.

I don't really favour paranormal but my experience of this writer meant I was willing to give it a try.

What happens when a depressive artist who wants to end their life meets a lonely soul who needs to take a li
Suzi (Obsessive Reading Disorder)
It is not often that a story teller can invoke all 5 senses. The lyrical prose of this book will have you doing just that. The author brings to life the magical world of Fae and vodou, open markets, old houses and coffee houses, oil paint, sweaty skin and fresh rain. There is a story here too, but listen to the words and you will be transported into this fabulous tale, experiencing it as our two heroes do.

The elements of this book are not a paranormal genre I have read much about. The Sidhe, or
Tarah
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favies
I don’t know where to start with this. Shatterproof put every expectation I had to shame. I believe reading should be an experience. When it’s not, I’m left wanting. This is my attempt at not ruining your experience. Shatterproof left me wanting for nothing. Nothing. The story was the closest thing to perfection I’ve read this year. It delivers everything you want without it reaching excessive. Witty characters, aching love, intelligent writing, stunning imagery, poignant heartache, and one of t ...more
**Kaycee**
**4.25 stars**

Despite having a hard time getting into this story, once I was past about 10%, I was hooked.

This was a very, very interesting take on depression in the paranormal genre. It was something I hadn't quite read before.

Although depression and suicidality play a major part in this story, I didn't find it altogether dark. And as the author mentioned following the story, he purposefully didn't delve too deep into the abyss of depression. Had he done so, I believe Grey's mental illness wo
Pam Faste aka Peejakers
Wow, why did I wait so long to read this?! I loved it: Gorgeously lyrical, haunting, dark but ultimately hopeful, poignant, absolutely gripping, with appealing, achingly vulnerable characters. I absolutely devoured this book <3 ...more
Sadie Forsythe
3.5

I read this as part of a Buddy Read and, of the ten or so of us, I think I'm the only one who didn't love it. Now, I didn't dislike it. But it ended and I was just sort of like, "Well, that's a thing I've read now."

I actually have a pretty high tolerance for Purple Prose, and I'll 100% admit the writing in this book is beautiful. But with dozens of passages like this:
Saint’s lips parted. To question, to protest—he would never know when he never had the chance. Not when Grey’s lips stole his,
Denise
4.5 "One more tomorrow is better than none" Stars

I just want to take a minuet to applaud Xen Sanders for writing this novel and opening himself up to his fans and new readers. Writing about something so personal and close to his heart surely could not have been a easy feat.

The journey about Grey Jean-Marcelin is a story about defeat, hopelessness, loneliness, love, and redemption. But not only on Grey's part, but also in the man who's name is Xav "Saint" and who opened so much within Grey and g
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Cardigans (Criminal Intentions: Season One #1)
  • Junk Shop Blues (Criminal Intentions: Season One #2)
  • Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case (Jon's Mysteries, #1)
  • Cult of Personality (Criminal Intentions: Season One #7)
  • Over and Over Again
  • The Man with the Glass Eye (Criminal Intentions: Season One #3)
  • Changing Faces (Criminal Intentions: Season One #4)
  • It's Witchcraft (Criminal Intentions: Season One #5)
  • Where There’s Smoke (Criminal Intentions: Season One #6)
  • The Mysterious and Amazing Blue Billings (Black and Blue #1)
  • His Cocky Valet (Undue Arrogance #1)
  • Project Hero
  • Jon's Crazy Head-Boppin' Mystery (Jon's Mysteries, #2)
  • How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #1)
  • Mr. Big Empty (Hollow Folk, #1)
  • The Necromancer's Dance (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer, #1)
  • Enlightened (Enlightenment, #3)
  • Trick Roller (Seven of Spades, #2)