Start by marking “Around the World in 80 Words: A Journey Through the English Language” as Want to Read:
Around the World in 80 Words: A Journey Through the English Language

Around the World in 80 Words: A Journey Through the English Language

From Monte Carlo to Shanghai, Bikini to Samarra, Around the World in 80 Words is a whimsical voyage through the far-flung reaches of the English language.

What makes a place so memorable that it survives for ever in a word? In this captivating round-the-world jaunt, Paul Anthony Jones reveals the intriguing stories of how 80 different places came to be immortalised in our
Published October 18th 2018 by Elliott & Thompson Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Around the World in 80 Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Around the World in 80 Words

Start your review of Around the World in 80 Words: A Journey Through the English Language
Paul
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
The United Kingdom has a habit of acquiring things from all around the world and keeping them; just take a look in any museum… But one of the things that we are very good at keeping is words and phrases, incorporating them into English and calling them our own. So far not many have objected, but how they ended up in the English language and where they came from is a story in its own right. Paul Anthony Jones is well placed to tell us too. He has chosen eighty well-known ones and is about to ...more
Paul
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: general, literary
Around the World in 80 Words – Just Proves We Will Borrow Anything!

Paul Anthony Jones has done it once again, produced a book that can turn the reader in to a word geek. Jones himself is a word nerd who is an obsessive where words are concerned. I would hate to play him at scrabble, not only would he get the triple word scores up but then to add insult to injury explain the history or that particular word.

Paul Anthony Jones is already written a number of books on words and linguistics, which
Tripfiction
For something just a little different….. and with a little nod to Jules Verne….

In this captivating round-the-world jaunt, Paul Anthony Jones reveals the hidden histories, tales and global adventures that lie within the pages of our dictionaries. It is a beautifully presented book that offers fascinating facts and insights into the origins of words and concepts.

First stop France and a perusal of the Vaudeville… a journey via a Monsieur Basselin, born in Vire, who liked nothing better than bawdy
D.K. Powell
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Paul Anthony Jones is a master craftsman in my opinion. When it comes to non-fiction and trivia, he's an absolute joy to read. Witty, to the point and accurate (yes, I did spend time googling some of the facts he presented to check) I have repeatedly bored my family and any other poor sod who happened to be around at the time with endless recounting of how we came by words such as cayenne pepper, bikini, bedlam, dollar, copper and...buggery (yes, really)...among many others.

Jones has the rare
Margaret
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
What is says on the cover.

An interesting look at words that various countries have given the English language.

Though you would be hard pressed to find anyone outside of New Zealand and Australia who uses the word "Karitane".
Jo Barton
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reading is always an adventure and, in Around the World in 80 Words, the adventure starts in London with a journey through the English language. Taking us from the derivation of the term, "Kent Street Ejectment", which I have to admit I hadn't heard of, but maybe Londoners have , through to being sent to Coventry, this absorbing etymological exploration, is a cornucopia of fascinating detail.

Like all readers, I have a curiosity with words, not just in speech and modern fiction, but also in the
Dermot
Feb 17, 2019
Malaise
Apr 11, 2019
San
rated it did not like it
Feb 26, 2019

• Invisible Women: Data Bias in a World Designed for Men
  • The Lost Kingdoms of Africa
  • She is Fierce
  • The Light in the Dark
  • The Vagina Bible: The Vulva and the Vagina—Separating the Myth from the Medicine
  • Testosterone Rex: Myths of Sex, Science, and Society
  • The Point of Poetry
  • Knitting Ephemera: A Compendium of Articles, Useful and Otherwise, for the Edification and Amusement of the Handknitter
  • Because
  • Aboriginal Stories of Australia
  • Fan Ho: The Living Theatre
  • Summary : Becoming Michelle Obama
  • The Lost Daughter