Start by marking “The Valley” as Want to Read:
The Valley

The Valley

A murder in the remote bush in 1916 sparks a chain of events that will haunt a family for generations. Hidden in the refuge of a secret valley, their tiny community lives unknown to the world. When, a century later, Broome schoolboy Dancer falls foul of the local bikie gang, he and his father head up the Gibb River Road. Here, in a maze of rugged ranges and remote communit ...more
Paperback, 1st, 256 pages
Published October 1st 2018 by Fremantle Press

To ask other readers questions about The Valley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Valley

Kylie D
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! It is set in the remote Kimberley region of Western Australia and beautifully describes the harshness and isolation of the area.

The book follows 4 generations of the Walker/Rider family from 1916 to the present day, taking the reader from the coastal town of Broome to the huge outback cattle stations. We meet Billy, a teenager who goes bush to find his older brother, Des, just to have Des murdered soon after he finds him. Billy finds himself on the run with a young a
Josh
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
'Us Walkers've got secrets an' lies in our blood. I'm not sayin' that's a good thing or a bad thing, it's just how we are. We keep things close...

'You're the last one... The last one, an' the first one not caught up in the secrets an' lies...At least not till now.'

The Valley is a multi generation epic seeded in blood spilled and seeped into an unforgiving land and then shrouded in secrecy.

Set predominately in Western Australia's Kimberley region, They Valley tells a powerful story of family, lov
Eve (Between The Bookends)

DNF @50%

I am calling it a day on this one. It isn't a bad book, but it just isn't holding my interest. The back and forth time jumps, along with the fact that every character seems to have two or three different names has, unfortunately, made this book extremely confusing to read and a struggle to stay engaged in.

descriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescription

Julie Parks
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is truly authentic. It might not be for everyone - it's not your typical fast-paced murder mystery with a reveal and a happy ending - but it's worth the read if you're a fan of new places and dense descriptions of the place and feel for it.

Thank you NetGalley for the chance to read this in exchange for my honest review.
Marchpane
When I saw that The Valley was historical fiction set in The Kimberley (that arrestingly gorgeous north-western corner of Australia, a barely-populated area three times the size of England), that fact alone was enough for me to pick it up.

Actually it’s a bit of a furphy to call this historical fiction. My mistake - once I know I’m going to read something, I’ll avoid all blurbs and reviews. It’s more of a family saga, and while it kicks off in 1916, most of the action takes place closer to the p
Claire
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A story spanning 4 generations and many secrets, it was slow and steady, unfolding to let us in on those secrets each generation has held onto, that have poisoned in part the way they live.
It was slightly confusing to start with, there were three generations storylines each taking a turn and each person had two or more names depending on who gave them the name, but once I got to know the characters and where they fit in I was easily able to follow.
Steve Hawke has obviously spent a lot of time wi
Daniella Traill
Review to come!
Jessica Lourigan
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
An unexpected little gem! Picked it up at the library as a quick read. The byline, ‘an epic tale from the Kimberley’ caught my eye and this beautiful multi generational tale of an indigenous family caught my heart! Thank goodness for the family tree at the start. The many characters have many names and the story travels forwards and backwards in time so it can get a touch confusing but it’s worth every backwards page turn. This Aussie author’s first novel for adults is a ripper!
Sean Kennedy
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A compelling read that needs your attention, especially as most of the characters have two or three names which get used on a revolving basis.
Sharon
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Calling The Valley a family saga understates the nuance and complexity of this sophisticated novel. Hawke chronicles the lives of a hidden indigenous community in the Kimberly (Western Australia) with tenderness and heart, not shying away from violence, racism or drug abuse, but treating all characters with compassion.

This isn’t the kind of novel you can skim quickly. Each character has, according to local traditions and life experiences, several different names, making the family tree at the fr
Sheri Courts
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a multi-generational saga of a family from Western Australia . It starts in 1916 and continues until present day.
The beginning of the book starts with one of the main characters Billy , new to Australia and trying to make a living in the Outback. being involved in a crime and is soon on the run from the law. His life is influenced from that point on and his family pays dearly for it . The book spans generations and follows their lives and secrets . They each lead very different lives bu
Sue Blanchard
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Thankyou to NetGalley, Fremantle Press and the author, Steve Hawke, for the opportunity to read a digital copy of The Valley in exchange for an honest, unbiased opinion.
I thought the story was beautifully written told over multiple generations. The characters were engaging and the whole plot, intriguing. 3.5 stars.
Dora Okeyo
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love that this story is spread over a long period of time, a century to be precise and that one event follows a generation, years down the line. It's not your fast paced murder mystery and if you are not one who loves a slow unraveling then you might be frustrated with this book. The writing is crisp and the description of Australia over time, quite intriguing.
I requested to read this book off Netgalley and received an eARC, thank you for the copy, it's been quite the read.
Nancy Mijangos
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it

Interesting novel set in Australia. The novel begins in the early 1900s and follows a family for more than a century. It unravels the mysteries in their lineage.
Madelaine Dickie
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Valley: a Kimberley tale written well and with a good heart

**This review was first published in National Indigenous Times on March 7, 2019**

A storyworm, like an earworm, can be a dangerous thing. It’s something you can’t get out of your head. It sticks there. Fattens there. And sometimes—if you’re lucky—it grows into a book.

Steve Hawke’s storyworm gnawed up years of his brain-space, eventually becoming the full-length novel The Valley.

Set in the Kimber
Erin
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
- Loved this story. Murder, mystery, bikie gangs. But somehow it feels very natural and understated.
- Adored the close male relationships and depiction of male emotion.
- I was, at first, apprehensive of an indigenous story written by a non-indigenous person. This was very frowned upon in my Creative Writing/Literature degree. However, this novel feels very authentic.The authors note states Hawke has a long relationship with the indigenous community. Perhaps, collaborative writing between indig
Rhonda
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: australian, mystery
I hope this finds the wide audience it deserves, although the short title and plain cover with a bird is not the best. Yes, it was confusing early on with everyone each having several names and the time jumps - the family tree at the beginning didn't really help. But lovely writing (sparse but effective), a good multi-generational family story sensitively told, and a great sense of place and respect for indigenous people.
AD
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an epic family saga! I was grateful for the family tree at the start of the book, because it was a bit confusing at times working how everyone related and fit together, but with the help of the tree I was able to follow along and enjoy the story. I especially enjoyed the sense of deep connection to land.
Jean
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good story, which could be longer as there are a lot of characters and generational themes that could be explored in more depth. But what set this book apart for me was how much heart the author has put in it. Steve Hawke obviously has a lot of affection for his subject matter, and it really shows. For a relatively short book, I got surprisingly engrossed with the characters' stories.
Ann
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book set in the Kimberley. Steve Hawke's affinity with the area and its people is obvious. Very real characters with flaws and secrets. A great read
Helen
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an incredibly moving story; beautifully and sensitively told with a wonderful cast of strong loyal characters, still with a story to share and a past to settle.
Kari
Feb 04, 2019
Sharon
Apr 06, 2019

• The Hope Fault
  • Heaven Sent (Cato Kwong, #4)
  • Preservation
  • To Name Those Lost
  • Sweet One
  • The Crying Place
  • Gunshine State
  • In Love and War: Nursing Heroes
  • The Break
  • Den fallande detektiven (Leo Junker, #2)
  • Wildlight
  • Snake
  • Singing My Sister Down and Other Stories
  • Gator Bait
  • The Bitch
  • The Lost Child
  • All The Young Warriors (Mustafa and Adem, #1)
  • Fireproof
Steve Hawke grew up in Melbourne, then lived in the Kimberley for many years, before settling in the Perth hills. His first adult novel, The Valley, was published in 2018. Out of Time is his second novel. He has also written the stage play Jandamarra (2008 and 2011), the libretto for the dramatic cantata Jandamarra: Sing For The Country (2014 and 2019) and the children’s novel Barefoot Kids (2007) ...more