Start by marking “What Fate Portends (The Frost Arcana, #1)” as Want to Read:
What Fate Portends (The Frost Arcana, #1)

What Fate Portends

(The Frost Arcana #1)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  93 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
"Faeries liked to tease the weak, but they loved to annihilate the strong."

Seven years ago, the exposure of the paranormal led to the tumultuous downfall of human society. Now, the legions of the fae rule the broken world, and humanity has nothing left but a handful of protected cities and a heaping helping of regret.

Enter Vincent Whelan. Half fae and former cop, he's beco
Kindle Edition, First Edition, 216 pages
Published June 25th 2018 by Knite and Day Publishing

To ask other readers questions about What Fate Portends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Fate Portends

Shari Kay
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, pnr-uf
2.75 ✭

I'm gonna go with UF/Fantasy instead of Sci-fi here for my shelving because though it's an apocalyptic setting...Earth is the way it is now because of a war with the Fae/paranormals.

Vince is half fae/half human. His mother was high Fae (this is a real spoiler, so don't open if you don't wanna know)(view spoiler) but he doesn't acknowledge her or his heritage. He hates the Fae and wears glamours
Kristen Burns
4 Stars

Review:
*I received an ecopy of this book from the author. This has not influenced my review.*

Set in a post-apoc world ruled by powerful fae, this urban fantasy about a half-fae ex-cop had me gripped from start to finish. The pacing was balanced with just the right amount of action-packed and magic-filled fight scenes, intriguing moments of mystery and creeping around, and slower scenes of character introspection.

The main character, Vince, was one I could root for. He was just a tiny bit s
Ami
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars rounded up

I loved Coulson's City of Crows series... so much that after I finished book #5, seeing that no new books are available, I ended up buying this first book of her new series (it's sold for only .99).

I wholeheartedly enjoyed it too!! For one, as a reader, it's clear from the beginning that Vince Whelan, half-fae half-human, has power that he has kept a secret. It's a little different situation than Cal Kinsey from City of Crows ((view spoiler)
Mark Gardner
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of urban fantasy
Shelves: 2018
I already knew that Clara Coulson is a solid writer, but switching from a beloved series (City of Crows) to a new one is always risky. You’re always comparing the new series to the old one. I’m relieved that Coulson’s writing prowess continues in this new series, and the flavor is different enough from City of Crows, that it doesn’t feel rebranded.

The world building is fun, and we’re thrust into the action right away. That action sets the tone for the rest of the story, and we immediately like t
Kari Chapman
"What Fate Portends" is a very readable, entertaining book. The story is set in an interesting world, one that combines the supernatural coming out of the closet and a post-nuclear zombie-war type setting. That is, humanity is confined to small enclaves, government is collapsed, modern technology is mostly unreliable and so on. Vincent is a good main character. I like that he's had training in his magic, but mostly tried to use it as little as he can get away with it.

I like that the story is se
The Mysterious Reader
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve really enjoyed other novels by Clara Coulson, so I grabbed at the opportunity to start a new series by her, The Frost Arcana, of which What Fate Portends is its first book. This book is great on many levels, as an action-packed story, as an urban fantasy, as a suspenseful tale and as a post-apocalyptic story. It’s star, Vincent Whelan, easily passes my “Dresden Test”, namely is the lead character as good or better than Jim Butcher’s Harry Dresden? The cast of supporting characters is superb ...more
Sonja Bjerga
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book from the author.
I'm a bit of a Clara Coulson fan girl having devoured all things Cal Kinsey I was unsure if Vincent Whelan would hit the same highs for me, all I can say is OH YES he does. The opening chapters dragged me into Vincent's day job, kinda slow initially then, Nosferatu, running like a maniac and a few werewolves later he strolls up to Kinsale (Kinsey, Kinsale wonder if that leads anywhere) chats with a headless horseman and heads home, you gotta read it
Penny Noble
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As always, I am hesitant when an author I like starts another series when I already love the series he/she is writing currently. Will I like it as well as the one I’m currently loving? Will the series have as good writing as the one I love does? Well, in the case of this new series, I needn’t have worried. From the moment I first started this book, I was drawn in and it didn’t let me go until I was finished. I loved Vincent, the world, the plot…well, just about everything in this book. And, to b ...more
Miriam
I received an ARC edition of this book from the author.

This story has great world-building and I found the MC, Vince, to really fit well with the post-apocalyptic fae world. Because the story is told in 1st-person POV, we are basically taken along for the ride with the mystery. The story does a good job a building a base for the series without dumping too much information into the first story (still plenty to be discovered in the future books). I really liked the touch of faerie myth in the stor
Molly
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: alternative fantasy fans, dystopian action fans
Recommended to Molly by: Booksprout
simple job - not so simple

ghouls abound. werewolves gone feral. Mab is fae queen, with much of humanity and supes disappearing.

can one man really make a difference?

perhaps if he is not really a man - Vincent Whelan

what fae is he really?

will he and his ex partner, and a few mixed allies, be in time to stop whatever horror is planned from destroying what is left of their home?

suspense and action continue!

Magnolia
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
From Magnolia Reviews: Four Petals

I really enjoyed this story. The world building and characterizations were very well done and incredibly engaging. I could have used a few more questions answered by the end of the story, but it really only made me anticipate the next book in this series even more. I definitely recommend this book.

Read the full review on Maggie's website: http://magnoliareviews.weebly.com/rev...
Karen Lloyd
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyable

A really interesting take on the fae. Whelan is so much more than an ex cop with a chip on his shoulder, he's a half human ex cop with a chip on his shoulder and it's him who has to save the world.
The description of the various otherworldly entities is rich & occasionally scary! I would have liked a page telling me how to pronounce some of the names but that's the only thing wrong with this book
Scarolet Ellis
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What Fate Portends by Clara Coulson is an awesome story written by an awesome writer. This is a wonderful start to a new series I am so glad I am able to read this story. i highly recommend this story to everyone.

Melody
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A book that instantly drawns you in and makes you want to read it to the end.
It has fae and demons, were wolves, ghouls.
A fast paced action book about Vincent who is half fae and a ex cop.
I highly recommend this book to read i couldnt put it down.

"I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book."
John-Torleif  Harris
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fast paced and fun

This book took me a while to really get into, but once I was hooked, it delivered. I found it interesting that Vince's glamour was capable of not only obscuring his sidhe side, but imprisoning it as well. I imagine that imprisonment is going to probably be an issue for him in future books as well. I can't wait to find out.
Silver Surfer
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that is exactly what I want it a urban fantasy. Magic and the more magic, fae, demons etc etc. This obviously if it carries on this way will be a great series. If you like urban fantasy you will love this. Very highly recommended must read.
Scott
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Liked but didn't love this book. I really appreciated the supernatural mix in the world and that it wasn't a romance/ type book. I'm planning to read the next installment

Liked it but not enough to call it a favorite. I plan to read the next book in the series.
Sheila
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book hit the floor running and never slowed down. It has interesting characters, a world crafted exceedingly well and a story line that catches your attention and holds it through to the last page. I cannot wait to see where this goes! I received an ARC copy of this book from the author.
Ambra
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! And I'm so happy the next one is coming in July, can't wait to read it!
Robert Berg
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great story!

Exciting paranormal story with a strong main character ( with Issues) and unusual twists. Looking forward to the next one!
Steve Isenhower
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great!

Great start to a new series. I really like the authors other series but this might be the best yet. Vince and Soairse are great!
Donamarie Goldsmith
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good book with strong characters, but a bit too strange for me. The story flowed well and the characters were fairly well developed. Not the usual type of fantasy for me.
Devon
Oct 08, 2018
Erin Howse
Aug 14, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Clara Coulson was born and raised in backwoods Virginia, USA. Currently in her mid-twenties, Clara holds a degree in English and Finance from the College of William & Mary and recently retired from the hustle and bustle of Washington, DC to return to the homeland and pick up the quiet writing life.

Clara spends most of her time (when she's not writing) dreaming up new story ideas, studying Jap

The Frost Arcana (3 books)
  • What Man Defies (The Frost Arcana, #2)
  • What Gods Incite (The Frost Arcana, #3)