Start by marking “Killer Instinct (Instinct #2)” as Want to Read:
Killer Instinct (Instinct #2)

Killer Instinct

(Instinct #2)

The murder of an Ivy League professor pulls Dr. Dylan Reinhart out of his ivory tower and onto the streets of New York, where he reunited with his old partner, Detective Elizabeth Needham. As the worst act of terror since 9/11 strikes the city, a name on the casualty list rocks Dylan's world. Is his secret past about to be brought to light?

As the terrorist attack unfolds,
Published September 9th 2019 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Killer Instinct, please sign up.
Lisa Dawson It's the 2nd book in a new series featuring Dr. Dylan Reinhart and Detective Elizabeth Needham. There is a TV show that also called Instinct based on…moreIt's the 2nd book in a new series featuring Dr. Dylan Reinhart and Detective Elizabeth Needham. There is a TV show that also called Instinct based on the book. It's a great show but I heard it was cancelled :((less)

Start your review of Killer Instinct (Instinct #2)
Matt
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
In another thrilling collaborative effort, James Patterson and Howard Roughan bring another thriller full of geo-politicking and some criminal elements to readers who have been hungering for another stellar novel. Dr. Dylan Reinhart is still living off the glory of uncovering a serial killer when a new situation makes his blood run cold. There has been another terrifying attack on New York City (shocking, no?!) and the casualty count is quite large. One name in particular causes Reinhart to ...more
Tim
Oct 16, 2019 rated it liked it
This story is better than most from the Patterson factory, but still leaves the reader wanting more. 6 of 10 stars
Scott
Oct 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I am a pretty consistent reader of James Patterson. However, for the purposes of honesty, I get his books from the library because I don’t find him good enough to buy and keep in my library. He’s “mind candy” – simple, fast-paced, detective and mystery- oriented adventures that can be read in about two to three days and easily left behind. Nice escapism, but nothing super memorable.

“Killer Instinct” is a follow-up to “Murder Games” (also co-written with Howard Roughan), published back in June,
Adrienne
DNF did not get my attention
Mandy White
Loved this one! Dylan is such a fantastic character and Lizzie the perfect partner. This was go go the whole time. Didn't want it to end. Hope we get a 3rd book Mr Patterson!!
Suzanne
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating, quick story with an entertaining plot that moves quickly and characters that are interesting to read about. There is still a lot to happen and questions that need to be answered for these characters so I am sure there will be many more books for this series. I will for sure keep reading this series as it begins. If you like the Michael Bennett and Alex Cross series, you will be interested in picking up the current two books of this series.
Laura Rash
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like this series and he characters. This one was edge of your seat excitement until the very last pages! Hope to have more from this series soon
Rissa
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I keep reading James Patterson and keep feeling this overall dislike. Yet i keep picking him up.
I was intrigued because i love sherlock and watson and thats how this book was portrayed but i felt disconnected from the characters and wasnt pulled into the mystery. Too much standing around and not enough action.
Charlotte Smith
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: james-patterson
An book hard that was hard to put down and an even better ending.
Donna Hines
Co writers have taken James Patterson's writing to a new level and this one is no exception as it's chock full of action, suspense, mystery, and intrigue.
We begin with a sociopath on the loose around the heart of NYC at Times Square central Manhattan district.
Drone bombings are being used as weapons of mass destruction while Pritchard has converted the town home into Operation Desert Storm.
One thing is for certain, "There can be no mistakes. There can be no loose ends."
Sadira Yavari the woman
Deb
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very typical Patterson book. Fast read! Nothing spectacular, but it was okay.
Kate
This is an absolute corker of a thriller! I find James Patterson's thrillers a bit hit and miss but this one is definitely a hit and one of my favourites of his. An exhilarating (and troublingly believable plot), strong characters (who have the power to surprise the reader) and a pace that doesn't let up for a minute. All that I could want from an action thriller, really. 4 stars rather than 5 because, while I loved every page, it doesn't linger in the mind, once read. Which doesn't really ...more
Donna Lewis
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually I liked this book. Great for a long airplane flight. Although many of Patterson’s books are not memorable, some are still exciting to read...like this one. I loved that the baby is a Beatles fan. That also is my grandson’s lullaby choice. I also loved the Kierkegaard quote: “Truth always rests with the minority,” and the Robert Frost quote: “In three words, I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.” Much better than the first “Instinct” book.
Cindy
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not sure if it’s the co-writers influence, but I had almost given up on Patterson a few years back but the last few I have really enjoyed. Killer Instinct is no exception. I love the main characters and the story felt relevant with the terrorist plot angle. I did get a little confused in a couple of places toward the end but it didn’t ruin my enjoyment of the book.
Barbara Zannini
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: instinct-series
Did not like this one. 50% done and still couldn’t get into it.
Donna
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book #2 of the Instinct series, we have the return of Dr Dylan Reinhart and Detective Elizabeth Needham in an action packed thriller.

While giving a final exam, Professor of Abnormal Behavioral Analysis Dr Dylan Reinhart receives news of a bombing in Times Square with multiple deaths. He's ex-CIA and feared his family might be downtown but as a stoke of luck would have it, they are fine. Detective Elizabeth Needham is on the bombing scene when she spots a second wave of bombs coming in on
Wendy
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book #2 of the Instinct series and Dylan Reinhard is back. This time, there's a bombing at Times Square and also a murder of an Iranian-American nuclear physicist. Unlike the TV show, Detective Elizabeth Needham is now an agent for the anti-terrorist task force. I enjoy the audiobook, as it's narrated very well. But, I did not enjoy this as much as book#1. Probably because there's not as much Dylan and Elizabeth together in this book. They do come to work together, but I felt most of the book, ...more
L.
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
I keep saying that I won't read any more of Patterson's co-authored books but I'm running out of choices from our library and I keep hoping they will get better. No chance with this one. Every line has been written/read before, no surprises. no plot twist. Found myself saying out loud several times "dumb move" when the characters did something stupid yet expected a different outcome.
In the past I read and loved everything Patterson wrote, couldn't wait to get a new story, but no longer.
Its one
Lori
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I dont didn't dislike it, it was just not up to par for me. Whoever asked the question are they the new Sherlock Holmes and Watson? I would say NO!
Bookreporter.com Mystery & Thriller
The Dylan Reinhart series by James Patterson and his frequent collaborator, Howard Roughan, started life in 2017 with MURDER GAMES. Two things happened to muddy the waters just a touch: it became the inspiration for the television show “Instinct,” which prompted the book to change its title to INSTINCT as well. As a result of the interest in the Dylan Reinhart character, we now have a second installment in the canon, KILLER INSTINCT, which also marks the return of NYPD Detective Elizabeth ...more
Sue
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Book: Killer Instinct (Instinct #2)
Author: James Patterson

What it's about: "Dr. Dylan Reinhart and Detective Elizabeth Needham--now known to audiences from the top-rated CBS series--reunite to stop the most sinister plot against New York City since 9/11. The murder of an Ivy League professor pulls Dr. Dylan Reinhart out of his ivory tower and onto the streets of New York, where he reunites with his old partner, Detective Elizabeth Needham. As the worst act of terror since 9/11 strikes the city,
Dad
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a very entertaining book! More significantly, it reminded me how much I miss the tv show which was based on this book’s premise. It was hard reading Dylan’s lines without hearing the actor’s voice in my mind. The book brought life to the CIA’s support team and their computer excellence. Fun read and I hope Peterson will continue it as a series—and not let it die like his King and Maxwell team.
Bobbie
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I rated this book three stars for two reasons. First, the story wasn't that "gripping" making the reading less enjoyable than the usual James Patterson book. Second, I really don't like the main protagonist being a married homosexual. If the story includes passing references to characters as being homosexual it's one thing, but I prefer my main characters to be all man or all woman.
Hrn1947
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great story, frantic pace. Happy ending, what more can you want. Maybe a third installment. So sorry the tv show was cancelled, when I read now I see the TVs actors in the book. It’s nice to have a face. I wonder if they ate the pre-fixe menu or just appetizers at gramercy tavern
Rima
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this book

I loved the first book and was anxious for this one. It was just as good. I hope there are more in this series. And yes, the characters will always be the actors from the TV show.
Tricia Douglas
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense, thriller
Good story. Not my favorite of Patterson, but still a good read, fast paced.
Dawn
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fast-novel put out by Patterson!
Barbara Cromer
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
An OK read, but not as good as the first "Instinct" book. Patterson, your cowriter could do better.
Ginny
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a good book. I like most of James Patterson's books.
John
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great novel in James Patterson Instinct series. Highly, highly recommended.
The TV series was great too while it lasted!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Stealth (Stone Barrington, #51)
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • Kiss the Girls and Make Them Cry
  • Contraband (Stone Barringto,n #50)
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • The Guardians
  • Outfox
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • Sins of the Fathers (J.P. Beaumont #24)
  • One Good Deed
  • Labyrinth (FBI Thriller #23)
  • Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26)
  • The Shape of Night
  • Robert B. Parker's The Bitterest Pill (Jesse Stone, #18)
  • Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • The Fifth Column
  • Child's Play
  • Lethal Agent (Mitch Rapp #18)
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson is the world’s bestselling author and most trusted storyteller. He has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. He has sold over 380 million books

Instinct (2 books)