Start by marking “The Write Thing: Kwame Alexander Engages Students in Writing Workshop” as Want to Read:
The Write Thing: Kwame Alexander Engages Students in Writing Workshop

The Write Thing: Kwame Alexander Engages Students in Writing Workshop

Imagine having a Newbery Medal-winning author in your classroom as an advisor and a friend, providing personal and practical advice on how to teach writing workshop in the modern-day classroom. With The Write Thing, you can do just that! Kwame Alexander is the New York Times-bestselling author of The Crossover. With more than 10 years of experience conducting writing works ...more
Published July 2nd 2018 by Shell Education Pub

To ask other readers questions about The Write Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Write Thing

Start your review of The Write Thing: Kwame Alexander Engages Students in Writing Workshop
Helen
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a middle school creative writing teacher, I'm always looking for ways to inspire writers. Kwame's book has breathed new life into how I'm conducting the course, mostly because of his emphasis on publishing. Now instead of having the writers just submit their work to me, I'm working up creative ways for them to publish or present. It has already made the class more meaningful in my estimation. This book contains tons of info in a slim volume, and has videos to watch as well. I will be mining i ...more
Sara
I’m so happy I selected this text for my spring Language Arts class. It really resonated with my preservice teacher students and I think it will encourage them to see themselves as teachers of writing while actually giving them the tools to do so!

It was nice to revisit this book after the semester was complete. I was one chapter shy (the unassigned chapter) from behind finished with this book.
Sheryl
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This guy could write a grocery list and I would love it. He’s just that good. Fresh and engaging ideas, tons of resources, and great advice for teachers who may not be all that comfortable with teaching poetry. I can’t wait to start our poetry unit and move into incorporating poetry into year-round writing.
Tracy Mitchell
Great ideas using poetry to engage students in writing. Sure, I have students write poetry. Yes, I have my students write narratives. And yes it can be a real challenge for some of them. Kwame makes great points by sharing his rationale for using poetry as the main means to teach writing. I plan to give his suggestions a go and I hope my students writing lives flourish because of it.
Melanie
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
Great book that's easy to access. I needed to shake up my approach to poetry and this was helpful. You can download a lot of resources and videos. His videos for students (Kwami Time) were fun and a bit cheesy, but my 6th graders loved them. ...more
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, adult-reads
A great resource for taking your students from learning about poetry to publishing their own. I am planning my year long poetry unit now!
Rebecca Plaza
Poetry Passion!!! Mr. Alexander is the height of joy for words and has collected lessons and tips to help teachers. He describes how he does it when he comes for a workshop. Love it!
Cathlin
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic resource full of great ideas! Can't wait to start using it in the classroom. ...more
Nicole
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So much inspiration here! I'm stealing a lot of great ideas from this one. ...more
Miss Sanok
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved the tangible products and easy-to-implement ideas for any type of classroom. I also appreciated how TEACHERS wrote a book on how to help teachers.
Danielle
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love how tangible and implementable this book is!!
Keri
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous ideas in this book. I’m such a fan of Kwame’s writing and excitement for getting kids reading and writing. This is definitely a book geared toward teachers, and since I’m not a teacher, I plan to take everything that I loved and apply it to me however I can.
Justin D.
Aug 21, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• Game Changer!: Book Access for All Kids
  • Look Both Ways: A Tale Told in Ten Blocks
  • Cultivating Genius: An Equity Framework for Culturally and Historically Responsive Literacy
  • Finding Langston
  • We Got This.: Equity, Access, and the Quest to Be Who Our Students Need Us to Be
  • Even If We Break
  • Everything Beautiful in Its Time: Seasons of Love and Loss
  • When I Was the Greatest
  • Tight
  • From Striving to Thriving: How to Grow Confident, Capable Readers
  • This Book Is Anti-Racist: 20 Lessons on How to Wake Up, Take Action, and Do the Work
  • The Cousins
  • Ordinary Hazards
  • Long Way Down: The Graphic Novel
  • Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You
  • Class Act (New Kid, #2)
  • Breathless
  • The Daughters of Erietown
Kwame Alexander is a poet, educator, and New York Times Bestselling author of 21 books, including The Crossover, which received the 2015 John Newbery Medal for the Most Distinguished Contribution to American literature for Children, the Coretta Scott King Author Award Honor, The NCTE Charlotte Huck Honor, the Lee Bennett Hopkins Poetry Award, and the Passaic Poetry Prize. Kwame writes for children ...more