Start by marking “Keep Your Friends Close” as Want to Read:
Keep Your Friends Close

Keep Your Friends Close

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer…

An addictive and shocking psychological thriller, full of twists you won’t see coming, perfect for fans of FRIEND REQUEST by Laura Marshall.

A friend who won’t let you escape.
When Karin is taken on a romantic break by her loving partner Aaron, she can’t wait for him to propose. But her surprise weekend quickly becomes a nightm
Kindle Edition
Published October 26th 2018 by Killer Reads

To ask other readers questions about Keep Your Friends Close, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keep Your Friends Close

Janel
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
We’ve all heard that phrase: ‘keep your friends close and your enemies closer’ – but just how close should you keep your enemies, how close is too close? For much of this novel, that was the intrigue, who should Karin trust? As the reader, you’re trying to analyse all the characters you meet, wondering if they’re genuine, if Karin should trust them. At the same time, you’re fed Karin’s secret in dribs and drabs, so there’s the additional intrigue of wanting to know the full details of this dark ...more
Claire
When I started Keep Your Friends Close, I was unnerved from the start. Karin is a woman of secrets with a past she doesn’t want to share with her man and the more I read, I could see why. But we all know, secrets are dangerous.

I loved the local references to Leeds and Morecambe. Living just outside Leeds and having spent a few years living in Lancaster, I felt totally immersed in the familiar backdrop of these two places that have formed part of me.

There is a poetic feel to Ms Taylor’s descripti
Joanne Robertson
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I do love a psychological thriller with multiple points of view and here we are treated to a fabulously twisty tale that revolves around Karin who has a secret past. When we meet her she’s living with her friends Mel and Will, hiding from whatever has happened to her. We know that she is no longer in contact with her mother but not why and that she’s hiding from an abusive ex. When her new boyfriend takes her away for a romantic weekend, suddenly she’s thrown into a situation she struggles to ex ...more
Linda Hill
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Life is vastly improved for Karin – but will it stay that way?

Crikey! Keep Your Friends Close is a twisty, keep the reader guessing until the final full stop kind of thriller. I found it exciting and compelling so that I didn’t want to leave it when ordinary life got in the way.

I can’t say too much about the plot as it relies on perfectly plausible though still shocking surprises, but I will say it is brilliantly thought through and skilfully delivered making for a very entertaining read.

I thoug
Tim
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received an advance proof copy of this book.

I loved this book, an intriguing story with great locations, complex characters and a twisty tale of relationships that spiral out of control.

The main character, Karin, has been through a lot by her early 20s. She seems to have found some stability, moving to a new town and finding work she believes in.

Then her new relationship and her new life are threatened by her ex partner who won't let go ...
Morgan Schulman
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reader-s-copy
I received an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review.

This one has a deranged lesbian ex stalking the protagonist and her new man. Yes I said that. No there’s no interesting new twist. Yes it is just as bad as you think. Skip it
Liz Mistry
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Keep Your Friends Close is a contemporary psychological thriller set in Leeds. I loved the fact that it dealt with current issues and created a resoundingly vibrant backdrop to the story in both Morecambe and Leeds.
The plot was eerily believable and the combination of past relationships, secrets , lies and subterfuge all moulded together in an explosive ending. The main character (Karin's) courage and vulnerability drew me in from the start and I found myself rooting for her from the get go. He
Melanie
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my first read by June Taylor and WOW! I was pleasantly surprised by this one, that's for sure. The twists and turns in this story definitely had me wondering how it was all going to end. Of course, once I thought I had everything figured out, things would change again.

We meet our main character, Karin and find out that she has had a rough go from the beginning of her life with her mother. There was never any affection there from her mom and when Karin was eight, she was sent away to boar
Mark
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it

‘Keep your friends close and your enemies closer’ is a saying often used by many of us and in this books case and for Karin, the leading lady,a very true one!

Firstly I loved that this book was set in Leeds ( lived in Bradford 10 years ) and even though some places were fictional I could picture a lot of the places described and spoken about, somehow a book always seems more personal when this happens ( well to me!)

The story is based around Karin who is estranged from her Mother ( even so she ha
Fiona Thompson
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have to be upfront and say that I don't usually read thrillers like this because I find the tension too great (I am a hide behind the sofa person if things get too tense when watching Coronation Street!). But, having met June and then read her first book 'Losing Juliet', I wanted to see where her imagination took her next. And it took her to Leeds, Morecambe, plus a lesbian storyline - so there was a lot of resonance for me although such familiarity did make me wonder if I would find the tensi ...more
Lilly
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a gripping and thought provoking novel that once I started reading it could hardly put it down, finishing it in one day.

The premise is exciting and deals with an important issue "who to trust?" Are close friends really having the best intentions for each other, could they be more dangerous than known enemies because they are hiding in plain sight?

This is the dilemma facing Karin the main character, and along the way we are treated to major twists and turns and nobody is above suspicion.
TIM HERRING
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story took a little time to draw me in but once it had it built really well. There were some very good plot twists that I had not seen coming. The settings; primarily Leeds and Morecambe (mainly the Midland Hotel) work well. The characters develop well as the book progresses through a series of short chapters. Each specific chapter is dedicated to one of the 3 main characters - Karin, Louie and Mel.
The build up to the conclusion is very well handled but to avoid spoilers I won't add any furt
Nicki
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Even though I felt at times like the writing wasn’t the best, for the most part I really enjoyed this after I got through the first few chapters.
Louie was a very different type of ex and this kept me interested all the way through. I did guess the villain part way in, which is very unusual for me, but it didn’t take anything away. I still wanted to know all the how’s and why’s.
I would definitely read this author again.
Sarah-Jayne Windridge-France
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A slow burn ... and if I'm perfectly honest I almost put it down .. twice. However, I'm glad I persevered.

The premise of the story is great .. and I think it really does show us never to judge. Everyone has their own cross to bear!

It wasn't dark, in a dark sense .. but this book had me rooting for the central character, Karin, and buying into her plight. who knew lives could be so complicated and so tragic.

If you read it, stay with it.
Dave Hodson
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous, fast paced psychological thriller brilliantly evoking the darker side of human nature.Set in the well to do streets of Headingley , Leeds where nothing is quite as straight forward as it seems. Everything seems to be working out for our heroine when a well intentioned trip away organised by her boyfriend reawakens past tragedies and leads to unimaginable consequences.
Joyce Wilby
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really great pacey read with great characters. Kept me turning the pages and I loved the settings. I've also read and enjoyed Losing Juliet by the same author and although this book is very different I liked the exploration of friendship and trust in both. Look forward to more from this talented writer.
Laura New
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Ending disappointing

Was hooked on this book from the start. Karin is a very secretive character and I was dying to find out her hidden past. Just don't feel the ending did the rest of the book justice!
Helen Lancaster Lancaster
I'll give it 3and a half

I started this book a few times then went on to something else. Eventually I went back to it. I persevered but it only got marginally better. Not for me📕
Margaret Robson
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
An in interesting premise. Was intrigued to know the outcome.
Pheadra
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
I looked forward to this read based on the publisher's hype and many positive reviews but was left totally disappointed.
Cristie Underwood
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Perfect psychological thriller! It moved at a fast pace with twists and turns throughout! I couldn’t put it down! Highly recommend!
Alyson Taylor
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another gripping read

Once I started this book I couldn't put it down. Another winner June. You go from strength to strength. Well done.
Alex Cocozza
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable read. Very much a book to make you question who to trust and kept it concealed well. Nothing too heavy, an easy book but well written.
Matt Poole
Katie
Nov 25, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Book cover missing 3 17 Sep 04, 2018 03:46AM
June Taylor writes mainly psychological thrillers and YA fiction, as well as plays. In 2011 she almost won the Times/Chicken House Children's Fiction Competition. The only proof of this is a back-pocket cutting from the Times that she showed to her mum!

She studied French, followed by an MA in Scriptwriting. She has done many jobs from TV promos producer to EFL and French club teacher, as well as v