Start by marking “Dark Arts and a Daiquiri (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dark Arts and a Daiquiri (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #2)

Dark Arts and a Daiquiri

(The Guild Codex: Spellbound #2)

When I found myself facing down the scariest black-magic felon in the city, practically daring him to abduct me, I had to wonder exactly how I ended up here.

It all started when I accidentally landed a job as a bartender—but not at a bar. At a guild, populated by mages, sorcerers, alchemists, witches, and psychics. Good thing this lame-o human is adaptable, right?

Then my fa
ebook
Published November 16th 2018 by Dark Owl Fantasy Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Dark Arts and a Daiquiri, please sign up.
Jae Yes! He is briefly mentioned several times in later books, and plays a major role in Druid Vices and a Vodka.

Start your review of Dark Arts and a Daiquiri (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #2)
✶Rachelle✶

Because Zak, obviously

(view spoiler)

————

5 stars

I really shouldn't be surprised anymore at how much I enjoy these books, but every time I finish one I'm like "WOW DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING THAT WAS SO AWESOME!"

I really liked this book, even more than the first. There were some issues I had with it (Tori's attitude got to be a bit over the top at times), but overall a solid story. Th
Holly
I can only assume that the talking skull named Harry was a nod to the Harry Dresden series, but other than that there wasn't as much to smile at in this second installment. The first book introduced to us a human, Tori, who accidentally discovers magic is real when she starts a job as a bartender for a guild of magic users. Of course the guild includes three best friend mages who are all good looking with backgrounds that are hinted at but not fully revealed and one of them is more obviously sla ...more
Montzalee Wittmann
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Dark Arts and a Daiquiri
The Guild Codex: Spellbound Series, Book 2
By: Annette Marie
Narrated by: Cris Dukehart
This has lots of twists and turns. Nothing is as it seems. Great plot. Love the characters. I hope the new character comes up in later books.
Great narration!
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-books
I really enjoy this series and how the heroine didn't magically discover all these amazing powers but instead is just a regular smart alec kick butt girl that doesn't take crap.
Seriously impressed with the writing, editing, and how fun this series is. I can't wait for more!
Lizzy (Bent Bookworm)
~*Follow my blog at The Bent Bookworm!*~

Dark Arts and a Daiquiri picks up just a few weeks after the events of Three Mages and a Margarita, and we jump right into the action as Tori and the guys set up an exorcism for a faery spirit haunting the apartment she wants to rent. Much hilarity ensues, and then sadly the apartment and the faery are abandoned while they all become involved in hunting down this big-huge-black-magic-bad-guy that is stealing magically inclined youngsters. And by hunting do
Vanessa ♛Queen Alchemy ϟ Novel Nerd Faction♛
09/10/2019: Read for the third time! <3
11/13/2018: Read for the second time! I love this world and these characters so much!

I received an Advance Reader Copy at no cost from the author.

This review contains minor SPOILERS.

(view spoiler)
Tweebs♥️ (hiatus)
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“It’s impossible to make the second book better than the first”

Annette Marie: Hold my drink
Emma
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book really benefitted from the new character and different setting. The first book was all about introducing the characters and in this we see how Tori is gathering connections and influence as she goes. I really liked the direction the magic took in this one and how the magical world expanded.
Arunima
Honestly, the only reason I am giving this 4 stars is because of the beautiful men that Annette Marie has decided to bless us with in this series, especially my boy Zak. Otherwise, I probably would have given this a 2 star rating or something.

Okay, maybe that's a little too harsh , considering I quite enjoyed the plot in this one, which definitely had more material than the first book. The storyline was very pretty fascinating, maybe a little predictable here and there.

But you see, there is
Jacob Proffitt
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, chaste
This is second in a UF series so the story and characters build over time. So you probably want to read in order.

Having read the first, you know what to expect more or less. The weaknesses fade a bit into the background and that's a relief. The strengths are still as strong, though I wasn't happy that Tori (view spoiler). That said, Tori dealing with her insecurities by finding (and embracing) he
Mikky (Nocturnal Predators Reviews)
Originally posted at:

This series has proven itself to be amazing! I love how the stories are set up and span a full book with no cliffhanger at the end. The writing and pacing are great! Books by Annette Marie just keep getting better and better with every new release.

I love Tori's sense of humor and how sassy she is even in inappropriate moments. The backbone she's sporting makes her one heck of an interesting character as well. All that being said, I also have soft spot for her. Especially
Ina
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing

How in the hell did I now discover this series sooner? It's totally up my alley. Relatable no BS heroine, great side characters, intriguing plot. Highly recommend to all UF lovers out there. The story isn't completely new and revolutionary (given the number of UF stories that already exist, I think it's quite difficult to come up with a completely new idea), but it isn't full of cliches either.

This is what you will get in The Guild Codex: Spellbound:
- kick-ass heroine that isn't afraid
☕️Kimberly
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am having a blast with this series. RTC
Lola
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy form the author and voluntarily reviewed it.

I enjoyed the first book in this series and was happy when I got my hands on a copy of book 2. I enjoyed this book even more than book 1, the story line is great and there are some great twists and reveals. The world and characters come even more alive and I quite liked the plot line and the change of scenery for a bit in this book.

Dark Arts and Daiquiri starts out when Tori gets asked by the three mages that are her friends to h
Kristen Burns
3.5 Stars

Review:
*I received an ecopy of this book from the author. This has not influenced my review.*

This was another fun, quick read in a magic-filled urban fantasy series that managed to keep me on my toes with some surprising twists and a very different plot from the first book.

I think Tori's past was touched upon in the previous book, but it was confronted more in this one. Oftentimes authors go to the extreme when including abuse in a story, so I liked the acknowledgement that abuse isn't
Bon
Mar 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, magic
2.5 rounded up. I definitely agree with other reviewers that Tori should not have been on her own for most of the plot, sans the three mages - their gang's relationship could have used the further development before we got this hodgepodge of new characters coming in.

Also, I hate Aaron?Arron? (IDK I listened to the audio) being shoved at us as a love interest - and, again, the weirrrrdd reverse-harem vibes I get from Tori just getting intimate with everyone. And she makes dumb choices, something
Di
** I voluntarily read and reviewed a review copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.**

Honestly I can't believe I was so apprehensive about this series when I first heard about it on Annette Marie's Website. I have never been disappointed by one of her books and if the five star rating on this one wasn't evidence enough - read on for further gushing and general fan-girling (in a non-spoilery way) about this series.

This was just the perfect follow up to a series that started with
Patron Saint Fitzwilliam
Apr 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
This one seemed to flow better than the last book, and we got to know Tori much better. Her guys (still can’t beliefs this isn’t a reverse harem, but okay), barely got any page time. I am still shipping hard for, okay you got me... (view spoiler) I am also really hopeful we see Zach again. I mean, their chemistry was 150% in comparison to Aaron. I love the misundersto ...more
Anne - Books of My Heart
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Read It, Rate It and Record
A short review to update challenges

I'm loving the Guild Codex Spellbound series.   Tori is a unique heroine in being human.  She cares passionately about others, but is a bit TSTL (too stupid to live) at times. I mean she is human and doesn't know everything about magic and magical creatures; she could get hurt or dead easily. I'd be a bit more cautious.

A familiar Urban Fantasy style is used
mith
Hi, hello, it is I!! I’ll try my best not to spoil anything about this book but I’m sorry in advance if I do!

Dark Arts and a Daiquiri was a fun follow up to Marie’s latest series. While I thought Three Mages was okay, Dark Arts was definitely better in my book.

Part of what I admire so much about Marie’s books is that she manages to expand her worlds with every new instalment. In Dark Arts, we find out about more magical beings in Tori’s world. A little more about witches, a little more about fa
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
I pushed the rating for this one down slightly, partially because the 'romance' frankly irritated the hell out of me.

Why?

Short answer: there isn't a romance. Aaron and Tori have no real feelings for each other, and honestly I'm one of those people who dislikes reading lots of pages about a relationship build-up between the heroine and someone who isn't the ultimate hero. I don't enjoy love triangles and I won't be surprised if this series has one.

Still, the romance (or lack thereof) takes such
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am so glad i carried on with the second book and not let what i thought might have been reverse harem put me off.....

The Author just opened a hole new tin of worms, in the forms of Fae and druids.... The plot was brilliant along with the world building and character developments.

Ghost was really interesting, and his part in this book although i think its far from over, Tori lets herself be captured by the notorious Ghost who appears to be kidnapping young abandoned Mythics, during her time in
Cinette Santangelo
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loathe perfect characters, they’re boring. I love characters that have glaring issues and make mistakes. Tori is hot-headed, impulsive, and in-your-face. I’ll follow her into whatever trouble she makes for herself.
I’m enjoying this series so far. Fast-paced, no added fluff, extremely well plotted, well written and definitely entertaining.
Narilka
May 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019, audio
Rating: 3.5 stars

It wasn't long ago that Tori Dawson landed a job as a bartender for a guild of mages. So when her three favorite mages ask for Tori's help catching a notorious rogue of course she agrees. The fact that Tori's going to be used as bait to lure a felon who is a dark arts master known to abduct young, troubled mythics... yeah, that plan fell apart about two minutes in to the operation.

Dark Arts and a Daiquiri is the second in The Guild Codex by Annette Marie. The story continues to
Jewel
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-h-to-m
I have gotten over the surprise that it's so easy to feel like a part of this fantastical world Annette Marie created. No grandstanding - just simple and straightforward yet very effective storytelling. "Dark Arts and a Daiquiri" was even more action-packed than "Three Mages and a Margarita". Even better, we got to know more about the magic system and meet a powerful, intriguing new character.

I enjoyed our heroine Tori's character development. I already loved her sass in the first book, so I wa
FV Angela
Review originally posted at http://smexybooks.com/2018/11/angelas...

This had a completely different feel to it than the first book in the series. Maybe because the main character, Tori, spends most of her time in another dimension interacting with all new characters and her three bffs introduced in the first book only make appearances at the very beginning and toward the end. That’s not to say that I didn’t enjoy myself, I did, but it wasn’t was I was expecting.

Tori is still a regular, normal, e
MrsJoseph *grouchy*
3.5 stars rounded down to 3 stars!

This one...wasn't as much fun as the first book. The pace was a little choppy, some things didn't make sense (plot wise), etc.

Once I was able to work my way past the almost middle section (chunky and slow), it picked up again and became more fun.

I'm...a little perturbed that Tori's head is turned so easily by a pretty face. And I really want something to (honestly, NOT) happen with her and a boy. So she can stop mooning over hot guys. I also want her to have a
Angela Cuéllar
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
pooled ink Reviews:
The adventures of Tori continue and "adventures" is the absolutely most appropriate word to describe the quirky fun yet terrifying and dangerous paths she finds herself on ever since getting a job at the Crow & Hammer. We don't get as much time with the trio of mages in this one, but I loved that it gave Tori a chance to stand on her own as well as to expand the world of magic. I'm absolutely enjoying this exhilarating series and can't wait to read book three!
P.S. I love Z
Jacob
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First draft, more epic than the first.
Tracy D.
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Welcome to the Crow and Hammer.

Once you're in, you're IN.

• Shadow Hunter (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #1)
  • Night Stalker (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #2)
  • Dark Dancer (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #3)
  • Blood & Ash (The Jezebel Files, #1)
  • How to Wake an Undead City (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #6)
  • How to Kiss an Undead Bride: The Epilogues (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #7)
  • Oath Sworn (Jacky Leon #1)
  • How to Live an Undead Lie (Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #5)
  • Family and Honor (Jacky Leon #2)
  • Well of Magic (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill #4)
  • How to Dance an Undead Waltz (Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #4)
  • Death & Desire (The Jezebel Files, #2)
  • How to Survive an Undead Honeymoon (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #8)
  • Spiked (The Sundance #1)
  • Magic Unleashed (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #3)
  • Magic Forged (Hall of Blood and Mercy, #1)
  • Shadow of Doubt (The Potentate of Atlanta, #1)
  • How to Break an Undead Heart (Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #3)
Annette Marie is the author of YA urban fantasy series Steel & Stone, its prequel trilogy Spell Weaver, romantic fantasy Red Winter, and sassy UF series The Guild Codex.

Her first love is fantasy, while fast-paced adventures and tantalizing forbidden romances are her guilty pleasures. She proudly admits she has a thing for dragons, and her editor has inquired as to whether she intends to include th

The Guild Codex: Spellbound (8 books)
  • Three Mages and a Margarita (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #1)
  • Two Witches and a Whiskey (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #3)
  • Demon Magic and a Martini (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #4)
  • The Alchemist and an Amaretto (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #5)
  • Druid Vices and a Vodka (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #6)
  • Lost Talismans and a Tequila (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #7)
  • Damned Souls and a Sangria (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #8)