Start by marking “The PayPal Wars: Battles with eBay, the Media, the Mafia, and the Rest of the Planet Earth” as Want to Read:

When Peter Thiel and Max Levchin launched an online payment website in 1999, they hoped their service could improve the lives of millions around the globe. But when their start-up, PayPal, survived the dot.com crash only to find itself besieged by unimaginable challenges, that dream threatened to become a nightmare. PayPal's history - as told by former insider Eric Jackson ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by World Ahead Publishing (first published September 1st 2004)

Kent
May 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
Jackson's writing is insufferable and self-satisfied, with no capacity for generating empathy. I wanted to cram a banana down his throat then reach in and peel it. Otherwise, a fascinating tale of the origins of the company that rose to dominate online payments.
Michael Connolly
Aug 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, business
Founders
PayPal was founded by Peter Thiel, David Sacks, and Max Levchin. Peter Thiel was born in Frankfurt, Germany. Max Levchin was born in Kiev, Ukraine. David Sacks was born in Cape Town, South Africa. Peter Thiel and Norman Book had earlier founded the libertarian newspaper, The Stanford Review. Thiel and Sacks had earlier written The Diversity Myth, which criticized political correctness and multiculturalism at Stanford University.

Money Transfers
PayPay was originally designed for people wi
LAFK
Nov 12, 2015 rated it liked it
While initially captivating, after some time I started noticing repetitive and exaggerated statements, like "had I known", or "would turn out fateful" or "PayPal vs entire planet Earth" or "hostile media".

Yes, battles with eBay were indeed battles and they were interesting. The media - IMO - were skeptical rather than hostile (and after .com bust who can blame them?). The Mafia turned out to be not quite what was initially hinted at. Yes, PayPal dealt with money, money means fraud, fraud require
Kipp
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Eric Jackson's recounting of Paypal's early days may stand the test of time as one of the best accounts of high-growth startup life right around the time of the dotcom bust. As someone who got into that world right around the time, I found a lot of this book to ring true.

If you work in startups - or if you're simply curious about what it was really like to build a Silicon Valley company during those days - definitely pick this one up.
Sagar Jethani
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Eric M. Jackson's "The PayPal Wars" stands as one of the finest accounts yet written of the heady days of dot-com in 2000 and 2001. What makes Jackson's account so imminently readable is the author's sense of humility, and his reflexive empathy for the travails of his colleagues at PayPal.

Originally recruited away from Anderson by Peter Theil, Jackson writes from the vantage of one accustomed to the ways of the old economy-- strict hierarchy, clearly-defined roles, and an emphasis on structure.
Ankur Sharma
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's an incredible account of a company which had set out to change how payments were looked at (and also was able to do it to a large extent)
Brian
Nov 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
The story of Paypal's struggle for World Domination is well told by their former marketing director who joined the company Conformity in its early days. He is a strong supporter of the Paypal Brand and an arch enemy of all things Ebay whose attempts to throw "roadblocks" at the company would almost cause disaster on numerous occasions. This book is very well done with top analysis on the business functions of Paypal. It considers Paypal's inability to get profitable and the problems inherent in ...more
John Morrow
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Bought it because Amazon kept recommending it and I usually like business stories. Story was disappointing. Mr. Jackson was not high level enough to have great insights. The interesting personalities at PayPal such as Peter Thiel, Max Levchin, etc., which should have been the focus of the story, received less pages than placement of various buttons in the "fight" with eBay. The author found out about the PayPal merger after it was announced so missed that key story as well. Overall quite disappo ...more
Matt
Aug 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Cool story for those interested in payments and the start-up world, though the writing style got repetitive after a few chapters.

The epilogue makes an interesting argument - very true to a libertarian / fiscal conservative viewpoint and supported by the story of PayPal's experience immediately post-IPO - that Joseph Schumpeter's idea of creative destruction has now largely moved from being driven by competitive "market forces" to non-market forces such as capricious regulatory bodies, clueless h
Dick
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Because it’s really the only book in town about PayPal so despite the average rating I decided to give it a try. It wasn’t nearly as bad. Different from most books about startup, which are usually written by or from the perspective of the founders, this one is written by a low level employee who joined the firm at the very early stage and went through all the changes. It gives you a totally different perspective. The whole book is very conversational, an easy read. It’s best for those who look t ...more
Nils
Sep 04, 2018 rated it liked it
An entertaining description of the roller coast of practical decisions that an iconic company with lots of huge personalities experienced 20 years ago. One thing that comes our clearly is that Elon Musk has really been a generational talent when it comes to getting fabulously rich by losing prodigious amounts of other people’s money....
Liam Polkinghorne
May 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting story about beginnings of PayPal and the difficulties starting a business that ultimately benefits from network effects.
Mike Steinharter
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
interesting story and well-written by Jackson, though not sure how many outside the payments industry will find the level of detail compelling. Cast of characters certainly is.
Iván Braga
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Notable libro que narra desde dentro y desde la propia vivencia del autor lo que fue el surgimiento de Paypal. Desde los primeros pasos, pasando por los múltiples desafíos que tuvo que enfrentar, hasta su adquisición por parte de ebay. En el relato se muestra como el equipo va evolucionando la idea original para lograr encontrar su espacio de negocio y sobrevivir e imponerse a actores consolidados y otras compañías que buscaban incursionar en ese espacio. Interesante es ver como la cultura organ ...more
Jac
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nice read on the history of PayPal. The author is a bit presumptuous and self-flattering, but that doesn't interfere much with the story, and his recollection of all of the details is impressive. He focuses primarily on the business, marketing, and product strategy - not much on the product development or engineering perspective.

Great read for a reasonably detailed account of what a successful software company was like in its early days.
Ann Evans
Dec 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
I read this book because I had an early relationship with Paypal. In about 1999, I started using Ebay, first as a buyer, then as a seller (and I sold a LOT - became kind of addicted)! Paypal was all a part of that, of course, and it was mildly interesting reading about first the rivalry between Ebay and Paypal and then their eventual merger. If you don't use Ebay, however, I would probably give this book a big YAWN!!
Bill Seitz
Mar 06, 2010 rated it liked it
I had hoped this book would include more on the early thinking about becoming an independent currency. But that just gets a couple brief mentions.

The only real detailed "war" coverage is with eBay.

It's just another corporate history. If you like that sorta thing, maybe you'll like this more than I did.
Brentley Campbell
I loved this book! It was hard to put down every time I needed to study. For entrepreneurs, the epilog is especially relevant. I would recommend this book to anyone with the interest in starting a company. It is very inspiring and at the same time shows all of the choices involved that either make or break a company.
Rob Olson
I loved the inside story into the early days and rise of PayPal. It could have been made better if told from the perspective of Peter Thiel, Max Levchin, or another very senior executive. Eric Jackson was able to capture some of the juicy bits but I know there was probably so much more that Peter Thiel was privy to that went untold.
Kathryn
Mar 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, own-it
This was a good read, but I think the author may have been hindered somewhat because he was a junior employee and because of this, some senior executive level insight was lacking that might have added some good context.
Robert
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be very valuable to me as a business executive in the technology and advertising industry. Great storytelling which makes this an easy ready with practical examples of how PayPal approached various situations.
Kevin Leu
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, because it gave me my first insight into how Silicon Valley really works and what it takes to win. I enjoyed the personal accounts and descriptions of key players who would all wind up building many other successful valley startups.
Christina Boyle
Dec 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Incredibly detailed account of the founding and sale of Paypal. Was interesting to read through each of the business problems (fraud, competitive response, charge backs) they solved with product solutions.
Dave
May 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Interesting insight into the pre-eBay culture at PayPal, but remember it was written by a marketing guy. You'll learn some interesting things from what he says (and infer some things from what he doesn't say). It's a decent book, but don't expect a balanced view from it.
Ronan O'Driscoll
Nov 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Excellent recent history and overview of how a startup is successful in Silicon Valley. Perhaps focuses a little too much on eBay. I would have liked to know more of the technical details on how paypal combatted rampant fraud and mafia incursions.
Kevin
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Reads like a novel. I very good look into the VC culture of silicon valley. Additionally, it should be a must read for generation Y employees. It really shows how necessary problem solving, adaptability leads to accomplishments and success.
Tom Kamei
May 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent read for anyone considering entrepreneurial ventures as a career - gives an inside look on lifestyle and thought process of navigating an industry changing at lightening speeds.

Understanding the characters behind the PayPal Mafia
sima
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good for those with a particular interest in the company or industry...Also may be of interest to those who want to learn more about how start-ups grow /evolve
Cafrey Ma
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business-books
Great book - a real page turner. Offered great insights of the day-to-day life of working in a fast growing Silicon Valley startup.
Dan Martell
Dec 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Amazing read. Couldn't put it down .. for real.
  • The Perfect Store: Inside eBay
  • Burn Rate: How I Survived the Gold Rush Years on the Internet
  • 21 Dog Years: Doing Time @ Amazon.com
  • The Difference Between God and Larry Ellison*: Inside Oracle Corporation; *God Doesn't Think He's Larry Ellison
  • The Wikipedia Revolution: How a Bunch of Nobodies Created the World's Greatest Encyclopedia
  • The Macintosh Way
  • Amazonia: Five Years at the Epicenter of the Dot.Com Juggernaut
  • Startup: A Silicon Valley Adventure
  • Inside Intel: Andy Grove and the Rise of the World's Most Powerful Chip Company
  • The Business of Software: What Every Manager, Programmer, and Entrepreneur Must Know to Thrive and Survive in Good Times and Bad
  • Valley Boy: The Education of Tom Perkins
  • Geeks and Geezers: How Era, Values and Defining Moments Shape Leaders
  • Bill & Dave: How Hewlett and Packard Built the World's Greatest Company
  • Nightwork: A History of Hacks and Pranks at MIT
  • Stealing the Network: How to Own an Identity
  • Spychips: How Major Corporations and Government Plan to Track Your Every Move with RFID
  • Code Name Ginger: The Story Behind Segway and Dean Kamen's Quest to Invent a New World
  • Beautiful Security: Leading Security Experts Explain How They Think (Theory In Practice, #28)
“One problem with the discipline of marketing is that everyone knows enough about it to make suggestions, but most don’t know enough to offer good advice.” 3 likes
“Schumpeter chose the term "creative destruction" to describe the introduction of new innovations into the economy for a reason—as the case of PayPal shows, it's a strife-filled process. A half-dozen startup competitors were quick to follow PayPal's lea before eBay got in on the act. And that's just representatives of the so-called new economy. The fact that many banks either entered the online payments market directly or lobbied for regulations against it showed that the old guard was not prepared to go silently into the night.” 2 likes