Start by marking “Shout” as Want to Read:
Shout

Shout

A searing poetic memoir and call to action from the bestselling and award-winning author of Speak, Laurie Halse Anderson!

Bestselling author Laurie Halse Anderson is known for the unflinching way she writes about, and advocates for, survivors of sexual assault. Now, inspired by her fans and enraged by how little in our culture has changed since her groundbreaking novel Spea
Published March 12th 2019 by Viking Books

To ask other readers questions about Shout, please sign up.
Ryne No veo promociones para el libro en español, pero acaba de ser publicado, entonces es probable que demore un poco. Además, es un libro escrito en…moreNo veo promociones para el libro en español, pero acaba de ser publicado, entonces es probable que demore un poco. Además, es un libro escrito en poesía, lo que sugiere que tardará un tiempo en hacer una traducción satisfactoria.(less)

Emily May
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“the overlap of my stories and my life
is a garden courtyard, sky-strung with stars”

The first half of this book was a 4-star read for me, but the second half was a full shimmering 5 stars. So it gets 4 stars, rounded up.

It's been a long time since I read Speak, but I still recall how deeply that book affected me. In a time of #MeToo, it is easy to forget how powerful and important little books like that were for readers. Every day, survivors are finding their voices and learning how they, too,
Laurie Anderson
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
My truth.
Hannah Greendale
Part One (roughly the first half of the book) drones on, but Part Two and Three bring thunder and rage and unapologetic ferocity to the issue of sexual abuse, rape, and the unforgivable way society treats women (and men) who find the courage to come forward and speak the truth.
the question is born out of true confusion
no one ever told him the rules of intimacy
or the law, his dad only talks about condoms
with a "don't get her pregnant" warning
his mom says "talk to your father"
so he watches a lot
Schizanthus
Content warnings include sexual assault, PTSD, war, physical abuse, fat shaming, alcohol and other drug use.
This is the story of a girl who lost her voice and wrote herself a new one.
I expect I’m one of the only ones reading SHOUT before they’ve read Speak. I’ve had Speak on my ‘I absolutely have to read this book’ list for as long as I can remember but still haven’t read it. I searched my local library for it but they don’t own it. I tried for several years to buy it on Kindle but it wasn’t
Mackenzi
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow.
Ashleigh Rose
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“too many grown-ups tell kids to follow their dreams / like that’s going to get them somewhere / Auntie Laurie says follow your nightmares instead / cuz when you figure out what’s eating you / you can slay it” || Thank you for having the courage to lead the way in this work, @halseanderson. Your bravery and words are an eternal gift to us all; I am thankful to have your torch blazing a path for us and igniting the sparks within us. 🔥 💛3.12.19 #SHOUT
Tatiana
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you, like me, read YA looking for excellence, Shout is the book not to be missed. If you get an audio version read by the author, even better. (The best if you listen to it at 1.25 speed).

Half memoir, half a work of advocacy for sexual assault survivors, it grew on me the more I listened to it. It is written in verse, and I personally didn't think it was always effective, especially in the memoir part. In fact, I thought verse short changed Anderson's auto-biographical narrative that would ha
Julie Ehlers
I didn't speak up
when that boy raped me, instead I scalded
myself in the shower and turned
me into the ghost of the girl
I once was, my biggest fear
being that my father,
no stranger to gaming
with the devil,
would kill that boy

and it would be my fault.

I was impressed by Laurie Halse Anderson's first novel, Speak, and several years later what I remember most about the 10th anniversary edition I read was the poem Halse Anderson included at the beginning, about all the young women and girls who have reac
Kelly
This searing, timely, timeless memoir in verse will sweep every "best of" in 2019.

This is Laurie's story, about being a survivor, about being a woman, about being an advocate who is passionate about young people, about intellectual freedom, and about being the best people we can all possibly be. It's angry and it's hopeful. It's sad and it's powerful. It's real and raw.

The verse is flawless. It adds movement and clarity. It is exactly what it wants to be: a shout, not a whisper.

Put it on your
Kim
2019's first superstar. LHA has long been known as a rockstar of consent, a revealer of truths for teens, and in Shout, she gets very personal with her own story--her childhood, her own sexual assault and recovery, and her journey to the writing life. I was left with the tiniest sense of the weight she must carry, as holder of all those secrets of her readers, and the dynamo of her power.

GET THIS BOOK.
Alyse Liebovich
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir, poetry
Speak is one of the first books I had to read in grad school for my YA lit class. I remember feeling thinking, wow, this is not what I expected YA lit to be. YA lit was not really a thing when I was actually considered a YA, so this was news to me. I was encouraged that authors were broaching these type of devastating but important subjects and that students had access to these kinds of stories.

When I first saw Shout was being released, I added it to the virtual cart to purchase for the library
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
**I listened to the audio and later read the book. I preferred the audio.

Laurie Halse Anderson didn’t just write a memoir in verse, she a poet, whose voice drips the poetry of youthful innocence and pain.

Childhood set her up to be victimized by It, the boy who raped her, the way girls and women were subservient to boys and men. I know this because I was born in 1964, two or three years after Anderson. As I listened to her narrating the gem she titled SHOUT, tears pricked my eyes, because her ex
KC
With her follow up to SPEAK, Laurie Halse Anderson once again puts forth a powerful piece of literature filled with compelling prose along with fierce dialog. Anderson successfully pulls back the tragic layers to the continual occurrences of rape, sexual assault, misogyny and all too often "turning a blind eye" and "victim blaming". As our country begins to heal and educate itself through the ME TOO movement, we are witness to protests, demonstrations and conversation with the hopes of no longer ...more
Janet
Cc @halseanderson I’m utterly gobsmacked. SHOUT is outstanding, profoundly moving work that will have you crying on one page while raising your fist in defiance and strength on the next. This is a phenomenal book; I can say that reading it changed me for the better.

Five trillion stars, Laurie Halse Anderson. ❤❤❤
Karen
Empowering memoir in verse. Releases 3/12/2019 and when it does, I’m buying my own copy so I can write in the margins and underline quotes. I was lucky enough to read an ARC. I highly recommend it for all high school collections and it also has incredibly strong adult appeal. Every word matters - stories matter - life stories matter. Get this book into as many hands as you can. This is more than a call-to-action. This is a battle cry.
Kara Leann
Absolutely stunning! This should be required reading for all teenagers and adults.
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laurie,
Thank you for this book. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Text Publishing
‘[P]erhaps the most significant contribution of any memoir of childhood sexual assault and abuse...Her book is a powerful testament that bears witness not just to her own pain, and the pain of others similarly abused, but also to the power of speaking persistently, time and time again, about topics that most people don’t want to hear.'
LA Review of Books

‘Shout is for survivors, for abusers and assaulters, for consenting young men and women, for gatekeepers unwilling to let sex through. Immensely
Amy
I read Speak nearly 20 years ago. Back then, Speak was my favorite book. It stuck with me for years afterwards. It’s one of the few books that I really remember even after all these years.

At some point, after you’ve read 1000 or so books, they can start to blur.

I was hesitant to start Shout. How do you follow up a book like Speak? And with a book of poems? They aren’t really my thing.

As with most hyped things I think, “No, not for me. I have a million things to read, I’m not going to give in and
Sami
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what made me cry more: the ragged grace of the prose, or Laurie Halse Anderson's gut-wrenching life story. In a collection that feels both autobiographical and impersonal, Laurie's life journey is mixed with her thoughts on rape culture, declarations of belonging, redemption, and hope for anyone who has suffered at the hands of another. She pulls no punches, and it can be unbearably hard to read, but this is one of the most important gifts we can give to the generations to come.
Chelsea
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star
tw: rape
Pain won’t be contained
by bars or marks
your scars deserve attention, too.

In true Laurie Halse Anderson style, her memoir is powerful and lets the truth fly. I loved learning about Laurie's life, told in her signature visceral, brave style.

Laurie Halse Anderson inspired me when I was ten years old, reading the Vet Volunteers series, and now she inspires me with her unflinching look at teen life and her ability to tell her own story in a way that packs a huge punch.

Don't let the fact t
Amber
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Shame turned inside out is rage.”

For fans of LHA, this is a must read. Difficult to read at times but so important.
Kazia
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book made my heart break and mend and break and mend and mend and mend.
Richie Partington
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Richie’s Picks: SHOUT by Laurie Halse Anderson, Viking, March 2019, 304p., ISBN: 978-0-670-01210-7

“As I walk this land with broken dreams
I have visions of many things
But happiness is just an illusion
Filled with sadness and confusion”
-- Jimmy Ruffin, “What Becomes of the Broken Hearted”

“in the name of love

When he was eighteen years old, my father
saw his buddy’s head sliced into two pieces,
sawn just above the eyebrows by an exploding
brake drum, when he was in the middle
of telling a joke.

Repairing
Kayleigh
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 stars.

“Too many grown ups tell kids to follow their dreams, like that's going to get them somewhere. Auntie Laurie says follow your nightmares instead. Because when you figure out what's eating you alive, you can slay it.”

Shout is bestselling author Laurie Halse Anderson is known for the unflinching way she writes about, and advocates for, survivors of sexual assault. Now, inspired by her fans and enraged by how little in our culture has changed since her groundbreaking novel Speak was first p
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
“Shame, turned inside out, is rage.”
I feel like I can never find the words to accurately convey my thoughts about memoir or non0fiction books, because who am I to judge someone else's life and stories. But Shout by Laurie Halse Anderson is as moving and impactful as you hope. The story is filled with fear, anger, frustration, determination, loneliness, and hopefulness. It's a call to honor all the women in our lives and a rallying cry to stand against rape culture. It was wonderful listenin
Michael
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, memoir, poetry
This was the first Laurie Halse Anderson Book I read. It definitely will not be my last. Like Jacqueline Woodson, she writes in a way that lets me overcome my own personal issues with poetry (a high school teacher forcing us to find the true “meaning” of a poem, rather than allowing us to get lost in the words). Unfortunately, far too many of us have stories like Laurie’s. Fortunately, we can all find kinship and hope in her words.
Gary Anderson
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'll just send you over to Alyse Liebovich's review. I can't write a better review of Shout than hers.
Mandi
If I could give this a 100 stars I would. This book is written in verse and how it took the author 25 years to tell her story on when she was raped. It has so much emotion and sorrow and truth. How easily it could happen to anyone. A book that should be made mandatory to show how sexual assault can happen to anybody girl or boy.
5⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Caroline
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I'm about to say is not an exaggeration: this book was absolutely everything to me. Having the opportunity to meet Laurie Halse Anderson before reading the book and hearing her read from it totally enriched my experience.

The poetry is beautifully written. Laden with pain and rage, but also a call to action. Listen to each other, believe each other, support each other, speak and shout for each other. I'm so glad I purchased my own copy of this because I'll be rereading it often.
  • Dig
  • Etched in Clay: The Life of Dave, Enslaved Potter and Poet
  • Out of Wonder: Poems Celebrating Poets
  • Victoria: Portrait of a Queen
  • Let's Go Swimming on Doomsday

Ask box is open, my friends! What do you want to know?

UPDATE!

The SPEAK graphic novel, illustrated by Emily Carroll, will be published on Feb 6, 2018!

I recently answered all kinds of great questions over at Reddit. Check it out for loads about my writing process and my books:https://www.reddit.com/r/books/commen...

For bio stuff: Laurie Halse Anderson is the New York Times-bestselling author who wri
“too many grown-ups tell kids to follow their dreams
like that's going to get them somewhere
Auntie Laurie says follow your nightmares instead
cuz when you figure out what's eating you alive
you can slay it”
14 likes
“We should teach our girls that snapping is ok, instead of waiting for someone else to break them.” 4 likes