Start by marking “Shout” as Want to Read:

Shout

A searing poetic memoir and call to action from the bestselling and award-winning author of Speak, Laurie Halse Anderson!

Bestselling author Laurie Halse Anderson is known for the unflinching way she writes about, and advocates for, survivors of sexual assault. Now, inspired by her fans and enraged by how little in our culture has changed since her groundbreaking novel Spea
Expected publication: March 12th 2019 by Penguin Young Readers Group

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Mar 12, 2019
    Enter for a chance to win an advance copy of SHOUT by the bestselling author of Speak, Laurie Halse Anderson!

(No PO boxes please)

A searing poetic memo

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 4336 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 13 - Mar 12, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Shout, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shout

Hannah Greendale
    Part One (roughly the first half of the book) drones on, but Part Two and Three bring thunder and rage and unapologetic ferocity to the issue of sexual abuse, rape, and the unforgivable way society treats women (and men) who find the courage to come forward and speak the truth.
    the question is born out of true confusion
    no one ever told him the rules of intimacy
    or the law, his dad only talks about condoms
    with a "don't get her pregnant" warning
    his mom says "talk to your father"
    so he watches a lot
    Schizanthus
    Content warnings include sexual assault, PTSD, war, physical abuse, fat shaming, alcohol and other drug use.
    This is the story of a girl who lost her voice and wrote herself a new one.
    I expect I’m one of the only ones reading SHOUT before they’ve read Speak. I’ve had Speak on my ‘I absolutely have to read this book’ list for as long as I can remember but still haven’t read it. I searched my local library for it but they don’t own it. I tried for several years to buy it on Kindle but it wasn’t
    Ashleigh Rose
    Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    “too many grown-ups tell kids to follow their dreams / like that’s going to get them somewhere / Auntie Laurie says follow your nightmares instead / cuz when you figure out what’s eating you / you can slay it” || Thank you for having the courage to lead the way in this work, @halseanderson. Your bravery and words are an eternal gift to us all; I am thankful to have your torch blazing a path for us and igniting the sparks within us. 🔥 💛3.12.19 #SHOUT
    Kim
    Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    2019's first superstar. LHA has long been known as a rockstar of consent, a revealer of truths for teens, and in Shout, she gets very personal with her own story--her childhood, her own sexual assault and recovery, and her journey to the writing life. I was left with the tiniest sense of the weight she must carry, as holder of all those secrets of her readers, and the dynamo of her power.

GET THIS BOOK.
    Janet
    Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Cc @halseanderson I’m utterly gobsmacked. SHOUT is outstanding, profoundly moving work that will have you crying on one page while raising your fist in defiance and strength on the next. This is a phenomenal book; I can say that reading it changed me for the better.

Five trillion stars, Laurie Halse Anderson. ❤❤❤
    Karen
    Empowering memoir in verse. Releases 3/12/2019 and when it does, I’m buying my own copy so I can write in the margins and underline quotes. I was lucky enough to read an ARC. I highly recommend it for all high school collections and it also has incredibly strong adult appeal. Every word matters - stories matter - life stories matter. Get this book into as many hands as you can. This is more than a call-to-action. This is a battle cry.
    Kelly
    This searing, timely, timeless memoir in verse will sweep every "best of" in 2019.

This is Laurie's story, about being a survivor, about being a woman, about being an advocate who is passionate about young people, about intellectual freedom, and about being the best people we can all possibly be. It's angry and it's hopeful. It's sad and it's powerful. It's real and raw.

The verse is flawless. It adds movement and clarity. It is exactly what it wants to be: a shout, not a whisper.

Put it on your
    Sami
    Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    I don't know what made me cry more: the ragged grace of the prose, or Laurie Halse Anderson's gut-wrenching life story. In a collection that feels both autobiographical and impersonal, Laurie's life journey is mixed with her thoughts on rape culture, declarations of belonging, redemption, and hope for anyone who has suffered at the hands of another. She pulls no punches, and it can be unbearably hard to read, but this is one of the most important gifts we can give to the generations to come.
    Michael
    Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: 2019, memoir, poetry
    This was the first Laurie Halse Anderson Book I read. It definitely will not be my last. Like Jacqueline Woodson, she writes in a way that lets me overcome my own personal issues with poetry (a high school teacher forcing us to find the true “meaning” of a poem, rather than allowing us to get lost in the words). Unfortunately, far too many of us have stories like Laurie’s. Fortunately, we can all find kinship and hope in her words.
    G. MA
    Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I hear you, Laurie. I wonder if all our screams were raised at once, would the ground burst, enflamed with ragefire? These poems are embers kindled in the fifth chamber of your heart. It's an honor, by the way, to live there with you. Now, it's time to hone the words we never spoke, sharpened bones elongated across pages, until the world is finally ready to listen. Tears glisten. All the words flooding, waterfall strong, everything we cannot find adequate words to express what we mean, how it fe ...more
    Heidi
    Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    There aren't enough words for how much I love Laurie Halse Anderson as an author and as a person. She advocates for teachers, but most importantly she advocates for kids--especially kids who need an advocate. This book, though, is so powerful. She's awesome when she speaks, but she's extraordinary when she shouts.
    Christine Stamper
    Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
    I found myself a bit confused by this text. Some moments are beautiful and poignant, while others have seemingly random poems put together in no logical order. I think some guidance on what the three parts that divide the text are suppose to be could guide expectations and readers. (For instance, Part One seems very much Anderson's early life and rape that lead to her writing Speak. Part
    Two is the aftermath of the book? Arguing for its existence? A needed conversation that needed more support. P
    Molly Dettmann
    Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This was such a fascinating read. I felt so many emotions. Laurie Halse Anderson is a master with words. I loved learning more about her life growing up and after she published Speak (the part about the National Book Award dinner was so good!). The entire memoir felt like a literal shout. Anderson shouts about the pain her readers have suffered because of assault or rape. She shouts for herself and other survivors rebuilding their lives. She shouts against the schools who pull fire alarms instea ...more
    Arlene
    Powerful...

Written in verse, Laurie Halse Anderson proves once again that through her writing and her novels, she gives many of her silent readers a voice.

Highly recommend reading Speak, Wintergirls, and The Impossible Knife of Memory first, as there are references to those characters and stories in this book.

face my truth
    This is not
    a resting bitch face

This is
    a touch-me-and-you-die-face
    Kara Belden
    Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    One word: POWERFUL. There is not a more fitting title for a book. This book gave me all the feels - disgust, defeat, discomfort, anger, nostalgia. This book provides so much to think, and talk, and shout about.

I loved the poems alluding to her other works. A delightful surprise! :)
    Melissa
    Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: 2019-reads, ya
    Powerful.
    Gary Anderson
    Review coming soon ...
    Christina
    Someone please give this book an award, many awards, next year! Shout is a powerfully written memoir in verse, with poems whose language demands to be savored even as they pack emotional wallops to the reader. Anderson tells her life story, including that of her parents and how their family dysfunctioned together. The poems detail how her upbringing influenced her life and eventual career, and especially how the experience of being raped in high school shattered her; she couldn't fully acknowled ...more
    Alicia
    Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
    In the vein of Jacqueline Woodson's Brown Girl Dreaming or El Deafo by Cece Bell that is a twist on a memoir, Halse Anderson wrote her story about her father's trauma and her trauma couched in the beauty and curiosity of her life including studying abroad in Denmark but making powerful statements throughout about sexual assault among other topics.

Using verse to tell this story, no one can deny her command with words and language. It's the thing that readers love about her writing AND listening
    Shayne Bauer
    Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Can I give this one a 10? (No, seriously.)

This is by far the most enjoyable book I have read this year. I laughed out loud, had tears in my eyes and chills down to my toes. Such is the power of words--at least when they come from from Laurie Halse Anderson. She has secured her spot as my favorite author still. How does she DO it? I am wrecked with jealousy at her stunning talent. But I love her dearly because of the power her words have over me. I will be pondering this read forever!
    Jesse
    This is going to be one for the ages. If I tried to choose a favorite quote or part I’d end up listing the entire damn book. This is brilliant and I hope it finds its way into EVERYONE’S hands. Thank you, Laurie, for sharing your story, carrying the horrifying stories that have been shared with you, and using your platform, experiences, and rage to create something beautiful and challenging. Your strength is invigorating.
    Beth Honeycutt
    Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
    I’m grateful to have this ARC! Gut-wrenching, raw, fearless, and honest. I have so much respect for Laurie Halse Anderson!
    Amy
    Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    A stunning, powerful, and emotional read. It's times like this that I wish I were a writer so I could adequately describe the beauty and power in this book. I want to hug LHA and all my sisters around the world. It's emotional, triumphant, and transcendent. It moves me to become a better person, full of empathy and kindness. It was quite possibly the best book I have ever read.
    Richie Partington
    Richie’s Picks: SHOUT by Laurie Halse Anderson, Viking, March 2019, 304p., ISBN: 978-0-670-01210-7

“As I walk this land with broken dreams
    I have visions of many things
    But happiness is just an illusion
    Filled with sadness and confusion”
    -- Jimmy Ruffin, “What Becomes of the Broken Hearted”

“in the name of love

When he was eighteen years old, my father
    saw his buddy’s head sliced into two pieces,
    sawn just above the eyebrows by an exploding
    brake drum, when he was in the middle
    of telling a joke.

Repairing
    Beth
    While I knew this book would be Laurie Halse Anderson’s memoir and companion to SPEAK, I wasn’t expecting that this would go beyond her own story and become the story of all survivors. It is more than just a story of survival. It is all our stories of survival.
    Lindsey
    Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
    This is more like 4.5 stars. I’m so grateful to have received an ARC from NCTE, which Anderson signed!!

Anderson’s verse memoir is so raw, and even though parts of it were painful to read, the writing is so beautiful. I want to give it 5 stars, but in part three, there are a few poems about trees that just feel out of place where they are. I’m sure Anderson has a reason for putting them where she did because she is so intentional in her writing, but I didn’t get it. They are beautifully written
    Pauline
    Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    "too many grown-ups tell kids to follow their
    dreams
    like that's going to get them somewhere
    Auntie Laurie says follow your nightmares instead
    cuz when you figure out what's eating you alive
    you can slay it"

I can hear Laurie's voice in every raw, vulnerable word in this book. I am eternally grateful to her for sharing this work with the world. She is a powerhouse of a woman; she speaks the truth; she is not having any of the world's misogyny and she is definitely done with today's relentless rape cu
    Stephanie Bange
    Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    This may be the most important book for teens to read this year.

Laurie Halse Anderson, the author of the widely-read book Speak, tells her own story of rape and how it affected her moving forward with her life in this powerful, emotion-filled memoir. Using poetry as its delivery form, she empowers readers to stand up to sexual violence and tell their own stories. The range of emotions that Anderson hits is so on target; it is at times poignant, at others funny, and still others just make you wa
    Kristen (BeyondSecretPages)
    Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: 2019-pub
    This was actually quite interesting. Laurie Halse Anderson's poetry memoir, Shout, describes her early life, inspirations for the books she's written, and the current state of society and sexual assault. It's almost like a sequel to her novel, Speak. To be honest, I didn't think Speak was amazing, but it's certainly important and powerful. I did really like it.

What I liked most about the memoir is that Anderson is not afraid to voice her opinions on these topics, in fact, she really does "shout.
    « previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
    • Etched in Clay: The Life of Dave, Enslaved Potter and Poet
    • Out of Wonder: Poems Celebrating Poets
    • Victoria: Portrait of a Queen
    • Let's Go Swimming on Doomsday

Ask box is open, my friends! What do you want to know?

UPDATE!

The SPEAK graphic novel, illustrated by Emily Carroll, will be published on Feb 6, 2018!

I recently answered all kinds of great questions over at Reddit. Check it out for loads about my writing process and my books:https://www.reddit.com/r/books/commen...

For bio stuff: Laurie Halse Anderson is the New York Times-bestselling author who wri